Welcome To Websleuths # 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for sharing this information. It does sound as if there are some frustrations in general, which I understand, but the browser usage was very inconvenient even prior to the recent site issues. The whole reason for using the TT app is to be able to eliminate the need for browser usage altogether, and it definitely serves that purpose, at least for me.

I really love being a member of WS and am just disappointed that my time spent here is now more frustration and waiting than actual discussing/sleuthing. :(

I honestly think more people are having issues with the new forum then we know because normally I get a lot of email reply notifications but they have for sure dropped way down. I dislike there is no quote of the new post in the email reply...

I'm not here much either. I'm having issues posting on my computer. With this thread I was 2 pages behind. I had to open the next 2 pages in new tabs for it to open. I had to restart my computer in order to reply to buckskin girls thread; it was not posting; the page never refreshed but when I tried to reload the thread in a new tab I saw it posted twice. I then tried to delete my 2nd post but could only delete the text to write I double posted. The buttons don't do anything for me.

Back to lurking...

Last edited:
I mostly lurk here at Webslueths, but I am here everyday. I really miss seeing where “everyone is at” the old feature where we could see how many people were in the different forums. I also see that there are usually ½ the people on now than we’re on before.

I appreciate the hard work it takes to run this website and am glad it’s here. :)

I went way over my gigabyte download allowance this month I just found out and BT want to charge me extra - it has to be these videos constantly playing. I also have to have the volume turned down constantly because of it. Plus the slowness. I am going to alert on my post. I recommend others check their download limits and charges.
Oh great that's a deal-btreaker for me, then. I have data limits too. Darnit.

I clicked on your profile to send you a pm (re: Tabitha Tudors, Nashville 2003, looking for other similar cases within a 10 year period, your good at that stuff)

I'll take a look. Was having trouble posting somewhat yesterday but seems to have gotten better.

I went way over my gigabyte download allowance this month I just found out and BT want to charge me extra - it has to be these videos constantly playing. I also have to have the volume turned down constantly because of it. Plus the slowness. I am going to alert on my post. I recommend others check their download limits and charges.

I'm on a laptop but I didn't even start seeing these auto playing videos until today. Not sure what changed? The forum got a lot slower and I had trouble posting yesterday. For smart phone or tablet users, I have heard you can turn off autoplay of videos with setting on your phone. I'm not sure how. Maybe that will help reduce your data usage?

I honestly think more people are having issues with the new forum then we know because normally I get a lot of email reply notifications but they have for sure dropped way down. I dislike there is no quote of the new post in the email reply...

I'm not here much either. I'm having issues posting on my computer. With this thread I was 2 pages behind. I had to open the next 2 pages in new tabs for it to open. I had to restart my computer in order to reply to buckskin girls thread; it was not posting; the page never refreshed but when I tried to reload the thread in a new tab I saw it posted twice. I then tried to delete my 2nd post but could only delete the text to write I double posted. The buttons don't do anything for me.

Back to lurking...

I had a similar issue yesterday with it taking forever to post and then double posting.

I mostly lurk here at Webslueths, but I am here everyday. I really miss seeing where “everyone is at” the old feature where we could see how many people were in the different forums. I also see that there are usually ½ the people on now than we’re on before.

I appreciate the hard work it takes to run this website and am glad it’s here. :)

This is not directed at you LeeAnnB but I've seen a number of people post they miss this and I wanted to comment about it... I'm really surprised at how many people used this feature of the old forum to see who was viewing what. I never paid attention to it at all. But then, mine was never accurate when it said I was viewing something because I always had multiple tabs open at once. When I had a gazillion new thread replies I used to have trouble keeping track of which thread I read already so I would open a bunch of tabs and close each one out after I read it. That's one thing I like about the new forum. At first I was startled by the watched threads "disappearing" after I read them but now I really like it because I don't have to open multiple tabs. I read everything and then use the view all threads or the history tab to go back to the threads I want to reply to. Sometimes I open more than one thread just to grab a link or if I want to remember to come back and comment later. But most of the time I'm finding reading the forum easier.

I haven't tested it myself but I did read a post someone made about this saying that if they put the poster who started the thread on ignore then the whole thread didn't show up anymore in their new posts. HTH.

Thanks so much Tortoise! This does help! Sad that I have to mute individual posters rather than just simply mute unwanted threads, but it is what it is. :rolleyes:

I started having problems with new site after the ads showed up . Freezes screen continuusly while trying to read threads. So very hard to compose & post. I can only visit in short spurts because it gets worse & then my Samsung device begins to get very hot. I have to turn my phone off after visiting here. No problems at any other websites. Crossing fingers for Tapatalk or similar app.
Posting here just now TOOK FOREVER! Long pauses between letters and spaces. Frustrating !!

@Tricia
Everyone, I'm sorry I thought I posted in the right area and ended up starting a new thread in the wrong place: Anyone Else Freezing Up?
I am copying/pasting my original post below:

When we first switched over to this new format, I loved it. Now, for about the last week, I'm having the following problems on a daily basis:

1) Site moves extremely slow -- even as I type (and even when I'm typing in my sign-on info), there is a delay. It seems like it's constantly "buffering" for lack of a better word
2) Screen often goes blank or partially gray
3) It does not matter which browser I use
4) I clean out cookies/cache regularly -- just did, made no difference
5) Depending upon the forum I am in, I am now getting a "Not secure" warning or icon (depending on browser) in the web address -- related to "unsecure content". Is it the ads on those particular pages? I just noticed same warning now as I try to post.
6) Sometimes my screen has "seizures" and wants to fight me, continually taking me back to whatever video ad is embedded at the bottom of the page
7) These issues "freeze up" my computer to the point that I have to use task manager to close out of the browser altogether as well as everything else I have open.

So, I've run all the checks/maintenance and cleared out everything and nothing works to fix these problems. I can read through posts while logged off and avoid these problems, but logging on to participate is asking for trouble. Anyone else? Any suggestions?

PS - this is my 4th attempt to get this posted

hopingicanhelp, Today at 11:36 AM

Hazelnutty, katydid23, Gooddeeds and 3 others like this.

Last edited:
Everyone, I'm sorry I thought I posted in the right area and ended up starting a new thread in the wrong place: Anyone Else Freezing Up?
I am copying/pasting my original post below:

When we first switched over to this new format, I loved it. Now, for about the last week, I'm having the following problems on a daily basis:

1) Site moves extremely slow -- even as I type (and even when I'm typing in my sign-on info), there is a delay. It seems like it's constantly "buffering" for lack of a better word
2) Screen often goes blank or partially gray
3) It does not matter which browser I use
4) I clean out cookies/cache regularly -- just did, made no difference
5) Depending upon the forum I am in, I am now getting a "Not secure" warning or icon (depending on browser) in the web address -- related to "unsecure content". Is it the ads on those particular pages? I just noticed same warning now as I try to post.
6) Sometimes my screen has "seizures" and wants to fight me, continually taking me back to whatever video ad is embedded at the bottom of the page
7) These issues "freeze up" my computer to the point that I have to use task manager to close out of the browser altogether as well as everything else I have open.

So, I've run all the checks/maintenance and cleared out everything and nothing works to fix these problems. I can read through posts while logged off and avoid these problems, but logging on to participate is asking for trouble. Anyone else? Any suggestions?

PS - this is my 4th attempt to get this posted

hopingicanhelp, Today at 11:36 AM

Hazelnutty, katydid23, Gooddeeds and 3 others like this.
I'm having similar problems. I've been blaming my computer, but I'm re-thinking it now.

I'm posting from a desktop now to see if it's any different, not really having trouble (except for the videos are annoying when they start up). My phone, however, is still not usable on the site.

I'm going to self-report to make sure admin sees this, so want to re-iterate that, while I am definitely experiencing the same frustrations as everyone else the past few days, using the browser on my phone to access the site has never been user friendly or convenient. I used the Tapatalk app specifically to bypass the need for a browser, and no matter how "self-conforming" the site is to a mobile browser, it's still not going to serve the same purpose as TT, because it can't.

There are free extensions for all the internet browsers. I use Mozilla Firefox with Plus which got rid of the ongoing ads and videos on my laptop. I mainly use my iPhone though and have not had any issues with the videos. These are the settings I have on the phone. It may be that not allowing tracking is what helps as those ads end up targeting one based on their usage. Hope this helps some of you. :)

Edited to add that they don’t even want to me to write the word that means blocking an ad on here. Geez :(

Attachments

• 06B7CAF3-5ADC-4322-8836-290F47351686.png
    06B7CAF3-5ADC-4322-8836-290F47351686.png
    143.6 KB · Views: 23
I generally always check the "stay logged in box" and just pop in and out so it shows me always on line. I'm not obviously :)

I tried today not being logged
in but I had no history.. and still had ads, videos and sluggishness.

When I dId log Iin it took me ages cis the fricking Medical vcompensation ad kept jimpi g up and loading. But it then didn't complete loading and kept chicking me out of the net.

I ddidn't Correct this last bit cos llife's too short. :-(

This is not directed at you LeeAnnB but I've seen a number of people post they miss this and I wanted to comment about it... I'm really surprised at how many people used this feature of the old forum to see who was viewing what. I never paid attention to it at all. But then, mine was never accurate when it said I was viewing something because I always had multiple tabs open at once. When I had a gazillion new thread replies I used to have trouble keeping track of which thread I read already so I would open a bunch of tabs and close each one out after I read it. That's one thing I like about the new forum. At first I was startled by the watched threads "disappearing" after I read them but now I really like it because I don't have to open multiple tabs. I read everything and then use the view all threads or the history tab to go back to the threads I want to reply to. Sometimes I open more than one thread just to grab a link or if I want to remember to come back and comment later. But most of the time I'm finding reading the forum easier.

Last edited:
I can read through posts while logged off and avoid these problems, but logging on to participate is asking for trouble. Anyone else? Any suggestions?

hopingicanhelp - although I'm not having drastic issues like you are, I do find it easier nowadays to read posts without logging in. I'm just a lurker anyway so it's easier for someone like me to deal with it.

Suglo - I also have ABP installed and I have never seen the first ad or video ad on this site.

Tortoise - I'm feeling sad about all the posters I've just ignored since I can't mute threads. And I've also just learned you can't ignore a mod! :D (But they sure do start a lot of threads - ha ha!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288