Fl - Man Arrested After Calling Police To Have His Drugs Tested

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Douglas Kelly, 49, from Hawthorne, Florida, called the Putnam County Sheriff's Office on Tuesday, police said, asking them to test the drugs he bought a week earlier because he wanted to press charges against the person who sold them to him.

Police said Kelly told them he had a bad reaction after he smoked what he believed to be meth and thought he was sold another illegal substance.

Officers used this incident to let others know that they are always here to help test any illegal drugs:

"If you believe you were sold bad drugs, we are offering a free service to test them for you. Remember, our detectives are always ready to assist anyone who believes they were misled in their illegal drug purchase."

Man arrested after calling police to have his drugs tested - CNN

This story bothers me. Obviously, one should never call the police to alert them to one's own lawbreaking, because one will likely be arrested.

However

There is a problem with drugs like fentanyl being sold as other, less potent drugs, and then killing users. This kind of situation would be helpful in identifying those types of issues, I would think?

I guess I just don't find it funny, but more like a mind-eff entrapment kinda thing...oh yeah we'll test your drugs to make sure they're safe ha ha psych hand's up!!

Can't quite put my finger on it, but this seems messed up...

This story bothers me. Obviously, one should never call the police to alert them to one's own lawbreaking, because one will likely be arrested.

However

There is a problem with drugs like fentanyl being sold as other, less potent drugs, and then killing users. This kind of situation would be helpful in identifying those types of issues, I would think?

I guess I just don't find it funny, but more like a mind-eff entrapment kinda thing...oh yeah we'll test your drugs to make sure they're safe ha ha psych hand's up!!

Can't quite put my finger on it, but this seems messed up...

You can buy at home kits to test your own drugs. The obvious problem is that many addicts would rather spend their money on drugs and not kits to test their drugs. Especially drugs like meth and heroin, IME. But, if they want to test their drugs, there are resources available that don’t involve the police.

Products Archive - The Bunk Police

You can buy at home kits to test your own drugs. The obvious problem is that many addicts would rather spend their money on drugs and not kits to test their drugs. Especially drugs like meth and heroin, IME. But, if they want to test their drugs, there are resources available that don’t involve the police.

Products Archive - The Bunk Police

I had no idea those kits existed! Or that there were resources for testing illicit drugs.

But, yeah, if an addict is like, "buy more heroin...or...buy kit to test what I've got," the decision is clear, I'm sure. I wonder if, like clean needle programs, there could be somewhere safe and confidential for this sort of thing?

I have a niece who is addicted to herion, and I worry about her...obviously...for about a million reasons, but one is that I worry she'll get some fentanyl or something which will kill her.

I guess I don't like the cops' "sure come on in we'll check out your drugs no problem" false friendly attitude. Addicts are still people and I don't like the disingenuous and caviler kind of attitude some seem to have, like it's somehow a super funny story...the "darwin award" aspect isn't lost on me, I just don't find it humorous.

I had no idea those kits existed! Or that there were resources for testing illicit drugs.

But, yeah, if an addict is like, "buy more heroin...or...buy kit to test what I've got," the decision is clear, I'm sure. I wonder if, like clean needle programs, there could be somewhere safe and confidential for this sort of thing?

I have a niece who is addicted to herion, and I worry about her...obviously...for about a million reasons, but one is that I worry she'll get some fentanyl or something which will kill her.

I guess I don't like the cops' "sure come on in we'll check out your drugs no problem" false friendly attitude. Addicts are still people and I don't like the disingenuous and caviler kind of attitude some seem to have, like it's somehow a super funny story...the "darwin award" aspect isn't lost on me, I just don't find it humorous.

Yep they exist! I used to be into the rave/EDM scene a few years back, and I remember reading about festivals in the UK and how you can test your drugs at designated places at the events.

The thing is, a lot of people take Molly recreationally, so they *want* to make sure they enjoy their high and are willing to go the extra mile to actually test before they take. On the other hand, I think it’s way less likely for meth and/or heroin users to test their drugs for the reasons you and I both previously listed.

I am only making an assumption, but I think it might be too burdening for both police and tax payers to offer free testing. That’s assuming people would actually utilize the service. A lot of drug addicts are super paranoid and wouldn’t go near cops willingly with drugs in tow, even if it could save their lives. Not to mention many simply don’t care, or don’t think they will ever get a bad hit. Anyway, back to the burden. IME a lot of drug addicts tend to buy multiple bags per day, so that would mean multiple tests, and a lot of LEs time being taken up administering these tests. And who pays for them? I am sure a lot of taxpayers would have a problem with funding the tests. Perhaps a non-profit/private organization who has presence in cities where heroin/meth are rampant would be best fit for the task. Unfortunately, heroin is everywhere these days so idk how that’d work.

I’m very sorry to hear about your niece. I’ll be sending good vibes your way. I have a very close family member who is a heroin addict, but he only snorts it and doesn’t shoot up, so it’s not a big deal, right? /s I grew up in an upper middle class suburb of NJ and I can’t count on both hands how many of my classmates have died from heroin overdoses. heroin doesn’t discriminate.

Well I’ll shut up now lol. But I do wish that more drug users would utilize test kits, especially heroin users since fent is so deadly.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back