OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what I would like to know. Why hasn't Brian been declared dead? His brother thinks he is and could easily have it done. That way he could have a proper burial. I would also like to know if there were any insurance policies out for Brian. I wonder if he was covered by the school in some way too?

I think there are too many unanswered questions as well as no evidence he is deceased. Also IIRC, LE believes, or at least has alluded to him vanishing on his own as one of the possibilities.

Here's what I would like to know. Why hasn't Brian been declared dead? His brother thinks he is and could easily have it done. That way he could have a proper burial. I would also like to know if there were any insurance policies out for Brian. I wonder if he was covered by the school in some way too?

I think it's because once you declare a missing loved one dead, then you sort of abandon all hope (no matter how small) of them ever being found. Derek still wears the green bracelet for Brian, so a part of me thinks he must still have some hope. Plus there really isn't any benefit of declaring him dead- he wouldn't get a proper burial because there's still no remains to bury.

I think it's because once you declare a missing loved one dead, then you sort of abandon all hope (no matter how small) of them ever being found. Derek still wears the green bracelet for Brian, so a part of me thinks he must still have some hope. Plus there really isn't any benefit of declaring him dead- he wouldn't get a proper burial because there's still no remains to bury.

Yeah and I don't think Derek has any intention of ever declaring him dead. I still wonder if there is any kind of life insurance or something owed to Brian that Derek could collect if he was declared dead.

If by chance Brian did disappear on his own, do you think he would still be living under his real name ? Or would it be possible that he changed his name and got a whole new identity ? I read about this kind of thing here and in the news all the time, but how does one go about actually doing that ? I'm assuming there's a lot of red tape involved, he had to have some kind of connections somewhere, right ?

Just woke up thinking about this for some reason, does anyone else think it's a possibility ?

If by chance Brian did disappear on his own, do you think he would still be living under his real name ? Or would it be possible that he changed his name and got a whole new identity ? I read about this kind of thing here and in the news all the time, but how does one go about actually doing that ? I'm assuming there's a lot of red tape involved, he had to have some kind of connections somewhere, right ?

Just woke up thinking about this for some reason, does anyone else think it's a possibility ?
I definitely don't think he would be using his real name. The only way I could possibly see him getting away with disappearing and getting a new identity is maybe if he made it to Mexico. I imagine the laws are loosey goosey down there in some parts, and nobody there would be looking for him since I doubt it made international news.

I definitely don't think he would be using his real name. The only way I could possibly see him getting away with disappearing and getting a new identity is maybe if he made it to Mexico. I imagine the laws are loosey goosey down there in some parts, and nobody there would be looking for him since I doubt it made international news.

I just came back to post a second thought, where are the most likely places a person might go and be able to disappear. Just in doing a little reading on the subject, the suggestion is either to a large, crowded city, or to a place that's quite remote with few people. I always think of Mexico first as well, although these days it's gotten so dangerous there I wonder if people are still choosing that option. Well, I'm sure some are. Back in 2006 it wasn't quite as dangerous though.

I just came back to post a second thought, where are the most likely places a person might go and be able to disappear. Just in doing a little reading on the subject, the suggestion is either to a large, crowded city, or to a place that's quite remote with few people. I always think of Mexico first as well, although these days it's gotten so dangerous there I wonder if people are still choosing that option. Well, I'm sure some are. Back in 2006 it wasn't quite as dangerous though.
VIDEO, "Track me if you can"
How To Disappear And Live Under The Radar
Lengthy article.
"Living Day To Day
  • Go to non-chain restaurants.
  • Pay for everything with cash.
  • When you are out in public disguise yourself (at least wear a hat and sunglasses).
  • Avoid frequenting your usual places (for example, if you are a vegetarian your meal preference can be found through your prior airline meal request and then you may be easier to locate if you frequent vegetarian restaurants).
  • Get your food to go from restaurants so you don’t leave DNA on the plates/utensils/glasses which can be read with an easily purchased BPac machine which analyzes your biometrics.
  • Stay in small motels and pay with cash.
  • Use alcohol wipes to remove fingerprints.
  • Use a Multi Sweep Hidden Camera & Bug Detector to check for hidden bugs/cameras/etc.
  • Cover the peephole so people can’t see into your room.
  • Sleep in your sleeping bag so you won’t leave DNA behind on the hotel bedding."
  • "Restarting Life
    • To determine the best place to resettle, choose a mid-sized city in a not overly cold place. Big cities and small towns are not good places for anonymity because of all the cameras.
    • To change your identity don’t just assume the identity of someone else (this is way more difficult–and illegal–than it used to be), instead petition the court to change your name legally to a new–and common–name (you’ll have to dig deeper elsewhere on the web for exactly how to do this without giving yourself away).
    • Apply for a driver’s license under your new name.
    • Get an RFID-blocking wallet (here’s one for the ladies). Most driver’s licenses and passports have RFID chips in them. Block people from reading these RFID chips by carrying them in your RFID-blocking wallet.
    • To get back online use a new laptop. Stay away from libraries!
    • Always use a hard wire to your laptop and turn off the wi-fi which is universally less secure.
    • Put a cover over your web cam because these are extremely easy to turn on remotely.
    • Install anti-key logger software on your computer.
    • Also, install software that will reroute your ip address so your location can’t be determined via your computer.
    • Be aware of the NSA spying and the ECHELON program in the US which monitors phone and computer transmissions for keywords and messages.
    • At the grocery store, change your shopping habits and never use store club cards.
    • Be aware that nearly all food packaging now contain RFID tags. To be sure these aren’t used for tracking (unlikely now but possibly more likely in the future as the InternetofThings grows) repackage food once you purchase it and get rid of the store packaging.
    • To find work, get a night job that is different that your previous job, such as a janitor. This will limit your contact with people.
    • Change jobs often.
    • Create a “back story” for your new identity and practice it. If you base your lies on the truth but change the details a bit, your story will be easier to remember and more believable.
    • Open a bank account, preferably at a small, local credit union.
    • Be aware of video surveillance cameras which are everywhere.
    • Never contact people from your past.
    • The narrator noted that every year, changing your identity gets harder.
    • The police now consider common activities suspicious such as bird watching, sketching or painting, or taking photographs in public.
    • There are 70+ FUSION centers in the US which coordinate surveillance and other information.
    • Airlines sometimes put locater chips on your bags so be aware of this. You can also use these tagged bags for disinformation purposes (ie: leaving them in places to throw people off your trail).
    • Technology is now available to identify you by the way you walk (change the way you walk), your facial measurements and biometrics (use a disguise, and especially sunglasses), and even your response to images.
    • It will be 7 to 10 years before your old identity drops off of databases, if ever.
    • Guard against complacency.
    • The less you interface with technology, the better off you will be."

Lengthy article.
"Living Day To Day
  • When you are out in public disguise yourself (at least wear a hat and sunglasses).
  • Avoid frequenting your usual places (for example, if you are a vegetarian your meal preference can be found through your prior airline meal request and then you may be easier to locate if you frequent vegetarian restaurants).
  • Get your food to go from restaurants so you don’t leave DNA on the plates/utensils/glasses which can be read with an easily purchased BPac machine which analyzes your biometrics.
  • Use a Multi Sweep Hidden Camera & Bug Detector to check for hidden bugs/cameras/etc.
  • Sleep in your sleeping bag so you won’t leave DNA behind on the hotel bedding."
  • "Restarting Life
    • To determine the best place to resettle, choose a mid-sized city in a not overly cold place. Big cities and small towns are not good places for anonymity because of all the cameras.
    • To change your identity don’t just assume the identity of someone else (this is way more difficult–and illegal–than it used to be), instead petition the court to change your name legally to a new–and common–name (you’ll have to dig deeper elsewhere on the web for exactly how to do this without giving yourself away).
    • Get an RFID-blocking wallet (here’s one for the ladies). Most driver’s licenses and passports have RFID chips in them. Block people from reading these RFID chips by carrying them in your RFID-blocking wallet.
    • Always use a hard wire to your laptop and turn off the wi-fi which is universally less secure.
    • Put a cover over your web cam because these are extremely easy to turn on remotely.
    • Also, install software that will reroute your ip address so your location can’t be determined via your computer.
    • Be aware of the NSA spying and the ECHELON program in the US which monitors phone and computer transmissions for keywords and messages.
    • At the grocery store, change your shopping habits and never use store club cards.
    • Be aware that nearly all food packaging now contain RFID tags. To be sure these aren’t used for tracking (unlikely now but possibly more likely in the future as the InternetofThings grows) repackage food once you purchase it and get rid of the store packaging.
    • To find work, get a night job that is different that your previous job, such as a janitor. This will limit your contact with people.
    • Change jobs often.
    • Create a “back story” for your new identity and practice it. If you base your lies on the truth but change the details a bit, your story will be easier to remember and more believable.
    • The police now consider common activities suspicious such as bird watching, sketching or painting, or taking photographs in public.
    • There are 70+ FUSION centers in the US which coordinate surveillance and other information.
    • Airlines sometimes put locater chips on your bags so be aware of this. You can also use these tagged bags for disinformation purposes (ie: leaving them in places to throw people off your trail).
    • Technology is now available to identify you by the way you walk (change the way you walk), your facial measurements and biometrics (use a disguise, and especially sunglasses), and even your response to images.
    • It will be 7 to 10 years before your old identity drops off of databases, if ever.

Wow, sounds complicated !

I would like to let everyone know that I will no longer be doing the Comeback Podcast. Nick will continue the investigation and the podcast!! I will still be investigating just in a different way. I am joining Lori Davis with Missing Person From Ohio. I met Lori because of Brian, and we will continue our search! I will still be around on the message boards and will have an announcement soon for my next venture. Thanks for allowing me to tell Brian’s story.

Kelly

I would like to let everyone know that I will no longer be doing the Comeback Podcast. Nick will continue the investigation and the podcast!! I will still be investigating just in a different way. I am joining Lori Davis with Missing Person From Ohio. I met Lori because of Brian, and we will continue our search! I will still be around on the message boards and will have an announcement soon for my next venture. Thanks for allowing me to tell Brian’s story.

Kelly

Thank you Kelly, your podcast has changed my view on this case completely...so much information I wasn't aware of before! Hope to hear from you soon:)

Lengthy article.
"Living Day To Day
  • "Restarting Life
    • Change jobs often.

good lord your life would have to have sucked if one wants to live like that the rest of your life

i was exhausted reading )like you guys get on my posts!) the things one must do

jeezzzzzzzzzzzzz

but at the end of the day I think the whole thing is the old junky cctv equipment from years ago just glitched he left and met foul play

Kelly
Thanks for your efforts, Kelly. Within hours of having first learned of the Shaffer case back in March, I concluded most likely scenario is that Brian had entered the construction area, died there in an accident, his remains still there. Then, when I heard your interview of Lead Detective Hurst (thanks to Sgt. Hurst for his willingness as a public servant to discuss the case) - in which he suggested that Brian had entered the construction area, and in which he characterized the construction area as then (4/01/06) having been in a 'completely dug up' state - I became even more convinced. Hearing those comments directly from Sgt. Hurst has me wishing that the owner of the building - OSU - would take actions to determine whether or not then student Brian Shaffer's remains are there, as seems (to me) to be likely.

Last edited:
Thanks for your efforts, Kelly. Within hours of having first learned of the Shaffer case back in March, I concluded most likely scenario is that Brian had entered the construction area, died there in an accident, his remains still there. Then, when I heard your interview of Lead Detective Hurst (thanks to Sgt. Hurst for his willingness as a public servant to discuss the case) - in which he suggested that Brian had entered the construction area, and in which he characterized the construction area as then (4/01/06) having been in a 'completely dug up' state - I became even more convinced. Hearing those comments directly from Sgt. Hurst has me wishing that the owner of the building - OSU - would take actions to determine whether or not then student Brian Shaffer's remains are there, as seems (to me) to be likely.

I just have trouble with a crew coming in and if he just fell he would be on the top

most people would call the cops if they came to work and there was a deceased person in their work environ

i suppose maybe the bar folks might be afraid of a lawsuit but that too feels like a stretch kinda like turning reg law abiding folks into people capable of burying dead people just seems off imo

I think so many people look at cctv from today's standards look at the video it is total cr#[ so the total reliance on it as he did not leave seems pretty far fetched

what i found most curious recently was that all along i had this notion that the entrance to the bar was instantly out of view it is not there is a door an elevator bank the second you get out of view of where he was standing with the two ladies

gave me a totally visual and the bar enterance is like another 10 feet more so it is not like the front of the bar is right there

he could have just walked out of view kept talking to them outside the bar doors closing happened and he walked out with the crowd

on an escalator if someone tall was right behind you your head would not be seen pretty easily actually one would only have on tape like one second to see him get on it

after that the crowd waiting to step on would block him out he is going down plus there are two giant stairwells right out of view of the camera shot

I would think at closing I would prefer to go down the steps rather than cue up for the tiny escalator at closing time moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acalvert