UNSOLVED Oh - Pike County: 8 People From One Family Dead As Police Hunt For Killer(s) #33

Status
Not open for further replies.
question. She obviously loved her son from comments made that as long as he was happy, had $$ to buy video games from Xmas and birthday, even if she was broke, all was good. I think I read somewhere I’ll look that she had fallen in love again.

A mother’s love and attachment to a son runs very deep.

Why would she kill herself after expressing that?
BBM

I am not sure what goes on with that. I cannot understand why anyone would take their life.

In my family we all drop dead of a heart attack so we are all basically fighting to stay alive every day. The thought of suicide is repulsive to me.

The only one I know who committed suicide is a young 21 year old friend of my grandson. That was over a year ago. Hubby and I saw that boy only about two weeks before. He just had a baby girl and he was so happy and proud showing us her pictures. His face was just glowing. Two weeks later he told his dad that if anyone wanted him he would be down at the pond. His younger brother went to tell him dinner was ready and found him hanging from a tree limb.

Why didn't we see something in him that day that indicated he was that depressed? What could we have said or done that would have stopped what he did? Could our own grandsons be that depressed and us not know it? I have nightmares about that so I promised myself that I would listen very carefully to everything my grandsons say and the tone of voice they say it in. But will that be enough?

BBM

I am not sure what goes on with that. I cannot understand why anyone would take their life.

In my family we all drop dead of a heart attack so we are all basically fighting to stay alive every day. The thought of suicide is repulsive to me.

The only one I know who committed suicide is a young 21 year old friend of my grandson. That was over a year ago. Hubby and I saw that boy only about two weeks before. He just had a baby girl and he was so happy and proud showing us her pictures. His face was just glowing. Two weeks later he told his dad that if anyone wanted him he would be down at the pond. His younger brother went to tell him dinner was ready and found him hanging from a tree limb.

Why didn't we see something in him that day that indicated he was that depressed? What could we have said or done that would have stopped what he did? Could our own grandsons be that depressed and us not know it? I have nightmares about that so I promised myself that I would listen very carefully to everything my grandsons say and the tone of voice they say it in. But will that be enough?
I think at the end of the day, most people who are determined to end their own lives don’t usually give outward signs because they don’t want someone to stop them. I can’t understand what a dark, sad place that must be. I had a cousin who killed herself a few years ago, not long after she sent her 4 year old daughter out the door for visitation with her dad. She was a phlebotomist and chose to inject herself with rubbing alcohol. And she was dead for 2 days before anyone checked on her. Her daughter will now carry that pain with her the rest of her life, just as VR did with her own mother. In VR’s case though, I still don’t think she killed herself. And by the looks of her page, neither do family or friends. I am very curious to see how this plays out with BCI and the investigation.

BBM

I don't think that anyone really knows for sure, what that final break is. I don't find it repulsive, only sad, that they either didn't feel they had another option, or didn't have anyone to talk to about what was going on in their life at the time. Suicide is traumatic for the families who are left behind, it makes them wonder what they could have done, or didn't pick up on. Suicidal folks, many times, will cover that sadness. I try to remember to post this video, in the link, below, along with the suicide hotline, a couple times a year. I've lost friends to suicide, and have friends and family, who have lost folks to suicide, anywhere from the age of 14- to early 60s.

Text CONNECT or HOME to 741741 for someone to talk to, or click Home

I Jumped Off the Golden Gate Bridge

Thank you rsd. As someone fighting depression, C-PTSD, and physical issues I can understand a little bit about suicide ideation. Never would I take that route though, I've learned that the blackness does pass and tomorrow is another day. I would suggest that if you haven't heard from someone, or seen them in awhile, reach out to them. Depression mutes the ability to reach. :oops:
I watched the Country Boys documentary today and it was heartbreaking at times. It did reinforce my belief that a person cannot climb out of poverty without help/support. God bless the folks who have to fight so hard to live. Much respect.

Thank you rsd. As someone fighting depression, C-PTSD, and physical issues I can understand a little bit about suicide ideation. Never would I take that route though, I've learned that the blackness does pass and tomorrow is another day. I would suggest that if you haven't heard from someone, or seen them in awhile, reach out to them. Depression mutes the ability to reach. :oops:
I watched the Country Boys documentary today and it was heartbreaking at times. It did reinforce my belief that a person cannot climb out of poverty without help/support. God bless the folks who have to fight so hard to live. Much respect.

As someone who has dealt with chronic pain for 50 years and currently needing 7 surgeries, I can understand people just wanting it to stop. It can be a spur of the moment thing. I know someone who bought season tickets for a basketball team and shot himself hours later. He had chronic pain from a car accident years earlier that few people knew he had...

As someone who has dealt with chronic pain for 50 years and currently needing 7 surgeries, I can understand people just wanting it to stop. It can be a spur of the moment thing. I know someone who bought season tickets for a basketball team and shot himself hours later. He had chronic pain from a car accident years earlier that few people knew he had...

It takes a brave person to carry on in the face of chronic pain.

I watched my dear sister who passed in 2016 struggle for 23 years with a debilitating neuromuscular disease. In 1993 she was given a devastating diagnosis and was told she only had 5 years to live. This was a woman who had a brilliant mind and a successful career.

She was told her muscles would deteriorate to the point she would be in a wheelchair struggling to breathe. That her mind would deteriorate to the point she wouldn't even recognize her own children. That the pain would be so excruciating that she wouldn't be able to bear it, but that she couldn't take pain medication or any medication that would cause her muscles to weaken. Even taking so much as a benadryl could cause her lungs to stop functioning.

But she was also a very brave person. We were all there with her in the hospital when she received the diagnosis. For about five seconds her face crumpled, but then she raised her head and said "I guess I got my work cut out for me don't I?" She never looked back. She never complained. To my knowledge she never asked "Why me?" If she ever cried we never saw her. She struggled with the muscle pain everyday and although in the end she had to use a walker, she never made it to that wheelchair. She never lost her memory and her mind stayed sharp until the end.

In the end it was the heart disease that runs in our family that got her. She was 69 years old and had lived in excruciating pain since her 40's.

Through all of that she was there every time we needed her. She listened to our problems and helped us solve them. She listened to us complain and never once said look at me, I am worse off than you are. She fought for life right up to her dying breath and she never let it get her down. She was truly a shining example of what a human should be.

I miss her so much.

I'll have to watch that, too, when I get a minute. Really busy this week, though. Good suggestion. There's so much we can do to help people, if we try.

Hope you are feeling good now and that you stay that way.

It takes a brave person to carry on in the face of chronic pain.

I watched my dear sister who passed in 2016 struggle for 23 years with a debilitating neuromuscular disease. In 1993 she was given a devastating diagnosis and was told she only had 5 years to live. This was a woman who had a brilliant mind and a successful career.

She was told her muscles would deteriorate to the point she would be in a wheelchair struggling to breathe. That her mind would deteriorate to the point she wouldn't even recognize her own children. That the pain would be so excruciating that she wouldn't be able to bear it, but that she couldn't take pain medication or any medication that would cause her muscles to weaken. Even taking so much as a benadryl could cause her lungs to stop functioning.

But she was also a very brave person. We were all there with her in the hospital when she received the diagnosis. For about five seconds her face crumpled, but then she raised her head and said "I guess I got my work cut out for me don't I?" She never looked back. She never complained. To my knowledge she never asked "Why me?" If she ever cried we never saw her. She struggled with the muscle pain everyday and although in the end she had to use a walker, she never made it to that wheelchair. She never lost her memory and her mind stayed sharp until the end.

In the end it was the heart disease that runs in our family that got her. She was 69 years old and had lived in excruciating pain since her 40's.

Through all of that she was there every time we needed her. She listened to our problems and helped us solve them. She listened to us complain and never once said look at me, I am worse off than you are. She fought for life right up to her dying breath and she never let it get her down. She was truly a shining example of what a human should be.

I miss her so much.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Raisin, and the pain that you're enduring Dudly. I really hate to see anyone suffer. :(

This is such a hard topic, the whole Rhoden Family thing, drugs and Appalachian poverty, despair, pain, hopelessness. I have no answers to any of this but I do want to say how much I admire each of you here. You have taken time out of your lives to care for people you don't know, you long for justice for the Rhodens who were murdered and healing for those left behind. Somehow through all of this I feel part of a family here at Websleuths. No, I don't comment, I don't know anything to comment. Raisin, Dudly, Betty, RSD, Mittens, all of you, too many to name, you give me hope that this will finally be solved and that the world still has some good eggs in it. Thanks to all of you.
Oh, and I love what almond said about tomorrow being another day. We just have to hang on for the better day.

Last edited:
This is such a hard topic, the whole Rhoden Family thing, drugs and Appalachian poverty, despair, pain, hopelessness. I have no answers to any of this but I do want to say how much I admire each of you here. You have taken time out of your lives to care for people you don't know, you long for justice for the Rhodens who were murdered and healing for those left behind. Somehow through all of this I feel part of a family here at Websleuths. No, I don't comment, I don't know anything to comment. Raisin, Dudly, Betty, RSD, Mittens, all of you, too many to name, you give me hope that this will finally be solved and that the world still has some good eggs in it. Thanks to all of you.
Oh, and I love what almond said about tomorrow being another day. We just have to hang on for the better day.

Thank you Frankie1. I do hope for justice for the R's. I hope to see the monsters responsible for wiping out an entire branch of a family brought to justice. Those who did it should be prosecuted to the fullest extent.

Those who know about it and are not talking should be charged with obstruction of justice. Yes I know all the arguments about how they are afraid to speak up but lest we forget, all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

You should comment Frankie. I and I am sure others would love to hear what your theory is.

JMO

I’ve watched the documentary 3x now...and I’ve tried to find current info on the boys today, yet there’s little to find. Like you, I too have battled PTSD and I know the struggle. It is debilitating. And then you feel worthless because you’re consumed by the emotional turmoil and can’t seem to function. It’s an uphill battle, but after climbing the mountain, life truly does get better. It will never be perfect and you will always have to battle mind over matter, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I still and will probably always live by the motto “tomorrow’s a new day” and my heart truly breaks for those who aren’t able to find the hope in a new day to come. If I could give anyone the ability to do anything it would be for everyone to see how important and loved they are to the people around them. And I think the most important thing any of us can do is just to be kind to everyone because we have no idea the battles people are facing every day. Life is tough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member