17 Yr Old Gunshot Victim Believed To Be Dead - Dies The Following Day

CARIIS

Former Member
Reaction score
erin-carey-eths-2080619.jpg

Tragic

Paramedics thought teen was dead, but he was still alive. He died the next day, medical examiner says

The Chicago Tribune reported Carey was under the sheet for at least an hour before paramedics learned he was still alive. Police were unable to say how long he had been lying there, a spokesman said during a news conference, but his injuries were described as "catastrophic."

hicago first responders said they were investigating how a 17-year-old boy was mistaken for dead and covered with a body sheet before bystanders saw him moving around. Erin Carey was pronounced dead 20 hours later, after the Near West Side party shooting.

The teen was shot several times in the head as he stood near five others who were wounded by what police said was potentially MAC-10 submachine gun fire early Monday morning. Police said the shots rang out in a University Village neighborhood near the U of I-Chicago campus. Fire Commissioner Jose Santiago told CBS News investigators were trying to figure out why first responders didn’t notice Carey was still alive under the sheet at the scene. Paramedics were treating several of the other victims at the scene when Carey's limbs began twitching.

Chicago shooting victim started moving under sheet after police mistakenly believed he was dead

My husbands co worker was murdered by her husband and laid at the crime scene alive for over 12 hours or something before the medical examiner got there and realized she was still alive. She died shortly after of course. I’m not sure if they could have saved her but it’s still awful.

I don't understand how first responders weren't aware he was still alive. Didn't paramedics check his vitals when they arrived on scene?

He more than likely would have died from the gunshot wounds to his head even with medical attention, but it's awfully sad that he was lying there alive for all those hours and no one knew. Hopefully, he didn't suffer during that time.

So young. He had his whole life ahead of him.

He was pronounced dead 20 hours after being shot, he didn't lie there for 20 hours.
Quite possibly he didn't have vital signs when they checked him because he had a catastrophic brain injury. My guess is his injury didn't appear compatible with life.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back