Canada - Canadian hockey team fatal bus accident tragedy, 6 April 2018

there is no law stating what you are saying, no matter how severe an accident is,

there would be chaos and outrage if we gave police the power to make up laws on the fly,

the police are already corrupt enough, things would get worse,

police can only enforce laws that are currently there, they can't make up their own as they see fit, and i am more then fine with that, that would be the last thing we need,

I would be surprised if transport Canada or the provincial equivalent doesn’t have the jurisdiction to suspend a truckers licence pending the outcome of an investigation. But I defer to others with more knowledge in this area.

there is no law stating what you are saying, no matter how severe an accident is,

there would be chaos and outrage if we gave police the power to make up laws on the fly,

the police are already corrupt enough, things would get worse,

police can only enforce laws that are currently there, they can't make up their own as they see fit, and i am more then fine with that, that would be the last thing we need,

In Ontario the law gives police extraordinary powers to suspend a drivers license and impound the vehicle for much less. It's called "Stunt Driving", which can be driving 50 km/h over the speed limit and a whole series of other infractions far less serious than causing a collision that kills 16 people.

In Ontario the law gives police extraordinary powers to suspend a drivers license and impound the vehicle for much less. It's called "Stunt Driving", which can be driving 50 km/h over the speed limit and a whole series of other infractions far less serious than causing a collision that kills 16 people.

they would have to have the truck on RADAR going 50km/h over the limit to do that,

failing to stop at a stop sign does not fall under the category of "stunt driving"

they would have to have the truck on RADAR going 50km/h over the limit to do that,

failing to stop at a stop sign does not fall under the category of "stunt driving"

It was suggested that the driver should have had his license revoked on the spot. Of course, known details of this incident are still being kept secret, but in my opinion blowing a stop sign and causing the death of 16 people is more heinous than "stunt driving" which in many cases needs no more evidence than the opinion of the cop.

It was suggested that the driver should have had his license revoked on the spot. Of course, known details of this incident are still being kept secret, but in my opinion blowing a stop sign and causing the death of 16 people is more heinous than "stunt driving" which in many cases needs no more evidence than the opinion of the cop.

laws are there for reasons.....so people know what the cops can and can not do, if we should break a law,

the last thing we need is for cops to start doing things based on their "own opinion".....they have enough power as it is,

let me make up a hypothetical situation for you......

say you are driving on a highway doing the speed limit, you change lanes without putting your signal on and almost hit the car beside you (but don't), a cop pulls you over and gives you a ticket for unsafe lane change without signalling,

after that the cop says, "i think what you did was very dangerous, so i have decided to suspend your license for 60 days, and i am also impounding your car for 7 days".....a tow truck comes and takes your car away,

you say to the officer "you cant do that, there is no law stating that"

the officer says to you "it doesn't matter, in my opinion what you did was dangerous, thats my decision, and im doing it anyway"

so if that happened to YOU, would you be happy that cops are able to make up laws on the spot and do anything that they please?????

I disagree. Mistakenly blowing through a stop sign is infinitely less heinous than purposely driving 50km above the limit.

It is very tragic that so many young lives were lost at stop-sign on a lonely highway and I understand the fervour of people's need for accountability ...but every time I return to this thread I get a sense of unease.

I think the identity and whereabouts of the truck driver are being protected for good reason. And the only reason a license would have been suspended at the scene is if there was suspicion of alcohol/drug consumption or that he wasn't driving a vehicle without the necessary license/papers/certification. An investigation needs to happen to determine the circumstances before there can be official (legal) finger-pointing.

I recently moved back to a city I had lived in before. I had been abroad for 6 years and when I came back, a street, that had previously not had many stop signs, now had 4-way stops at every second intersection. It is also a very leafy street with absent or faded road-markings. Two weeks ago I missed a stop sign. I just didn't see it, didn't expect it, didn't stop...and didn't realize it until I saw its pair in my rearview mirror...horrified. Fortunately it was a quiet time of day, no traffic about and I was driving slowly but still I was so, so lucky not to have been a danger to somebody else. It was a mistake. Human error. It can happen to anybody...it has probably happened to most of us at least once in our adult driving lives, and happily for most of us, the worse ramification of such a mistake is a pang in the stomach, a close shave...at worst a fender bender, a fine and a 3-points penalty on the DL.
The truck driver has NOT been identified as liable and could just be a guy who made a mistake.

Thousands of quilts made in support of Humboldt Broncos

Some folks here are creating monsters that do not exist.

A situation such as this is called an accident (it was not intentional , nor planned) . It could happen to anyone.

As far as charges that may be laid , it will be for failing to stop at a stop sign . Simple as that. Whether no one was killed or a bus load was killed is beside the point.

Now if the driver was not properly qualified , or had not taken the proper rest breaks , then enters the possibility of criminal liability. Or if the truck itself failed the safety check , then the trucking company could be liable.

People are killed daily in accidents , this is no different except for the fact it was a young hockey team and many lives lost .

If it had been a car that was hit and one dishwasher had died it would not even have made the news.

A situation such as this is called an accident (it was not intentional , nor planned) . It could happen to anyone.

As far as charges that may be laid , it will be for failing to stop at a stop sign . Simple as that. Whether no one was killed or a bus load was killed is beside the point.

Now if the driver was not properly qualified , or had not taken the proper rest breaks , then enters the possibility of criminal liability. Or if the truck itself failed the safety check , then the trucking company could be liable.

People are killed daily in accidents , this is no different except for the fact it was a young hockey team and many lives lost .

If it had been a car that was hit and one dishwasher had died it would not even have made the news.

Criminal charges- Or if the driver was texting while blowing through the stop sign

laws are there for reasons.....so people know what the cops can and can not do, if we should break a law,

the last thing we need is for cops to start doing things based on their "own opinion".....they have enough power as it is,

let me make up a hypothetical situation for you......

say you are driving on a highway doing the speed limit, you change lanes without putting your signal on and almost hit the car beside you (but don't), a cop pulls you over and gives you a ticket for unsafe lane change without signalling,

after that the cop says, "i think what you did was very dangerous, so i have decided to suspend your license for 60 days, and i am also impounding your car for 7 days".....a tow truck comes and takes your car away,

you say to the officer "you cant do that, there is no law stating that"

the officer says to you "it doesn't matter, in my opinion what you did was dangerous, thats my decision, and im doing it anyway"

so if that happened to YOU, would you be happy that cops are able to make up laws on the spot and do anything that they please?????

If he is still driving truck in western Canada then I am glad I live elsewhere.

Criminal charges- Or if the driver was texting while blowing through the stop sign
Yes, certainly. But there has not been any charge raised against the driver and the bloodthirst here is a little off-putting. The driver is NOT a person of interest in a murder case, was not drunk driving, was not un-licensed... and until we know otherwise the unbridled speculation about the driver is kind of sad.

Last edited:

You should not be able to continue driving trucks like nothing has happened if you have been involved in an accident as serious as this one with multiple fatalities. It isn’t as simple as the driver just running a stop sign, they need to know why he did it.

Did he show a reckless disregard for road safety by intentionally failing to stop? Was he blinded by the sun? Was he too tired to be driving? Does he has sufficient training? Was he medically impaired? If he is inexperienced then he should be sent for training before being allowed to drive a truck again, you can’t take the chance he won’t be involved in another accident down the line.

You should not be able to continue driving trucks like nothing has happened if you have been involved in an accident as serious as this one with multiple fatalities.

why not?

the guy made one small mistake, that doesn't mean he is a bad driver or a bad person....you think your so perfect?

its not the truck drivers fault a bus just happened to be crossing at the exact same time, he made a simple mistake and he went through a stop sign, that's it....the outcome is irrelevant,

You should not be able to continue driving trucks like nothing has happened if you have been involved in an accident as serious as this one with multiple fatalities. It isn’t as simple as the driver just running a stop sign, they need to know why he did it.

Did he show a reckless disregard for road safety by intentionally failing to stop? Was he blinded by the sun? Was he too tired to be driving? Does he has sufficient training? Was he medically impaired? If he is inexperienced then he should be sent for training before being allowed to drive a truck again, you can’t take the chance he won’t be involved in another accident down the line.
We keep concentrating on the truck driver, yet much information is being withheld. What if the truck proceeded through the intersection while the bus was a great distance away, yet speeding? How many of us have ridden on a highway bus that isn't speeding, or have not been passed by a speeding bus on the highway? We can't really sleuth what and how it happened until all information is released.

We keep concentrating on the truck driver, yet much information is being withheld. What if the truck proceeded through the intersection while the bus was a great distance away, yet speeding? How many of us have ridden on a highway bus that isn't speeding, or have not been passed by a speeding bus on the highway? We can't really sleuth what and how it happened until all information is released.

The bus had the right away, no matter what speed it was going. The truck driver had a responsibility to stop at the stop sign, and not proceed until it was safe to do so. He possibly did not slow down while possibly being blinded by the sun, possibly missed the flashing light well ahead of the intersection, and then possibly missed the stop sign itself. He is supposedly a professional driver, licensed and qualified to operate a tandem vehicle weighing tens of thousands of pounds. His possible negligence or disregard for safety caused the death of 16 people. Or maybe he is blameless, perhaps due to a mechanical failure, or medical issue. But he just made a “small mistake”?? Really? Would the families of the young men and woman that were killed feel it was just a small mistake? No big deal? Who would honestly think that? I hope in a number of months we may know what actually happened, if LE ever discloses their findings to the public. If not, rumours and suspicions will exist forever.

10 surviving players and family members from the Broncos have been in Vegas to attend the NHL awards. Last night the NHL paid tribute to the team in a very moving segment. It's long but worth the watch. Grab a tissue.

Thank you so much for sharing this.

The bus had the right away, no matter what speed it was going. The truck driver had a responsibility to stop at the stop sign, and not proceed until it was safe to do so. He possibly did not slow down while possibly being blinded by the sun, possibly missed the flashing light well ahead of the intersection, and then possibly missed the stop sign itself. He is supposedly a professional driver, licensed and qualified to operate a tandem vehicle weighing tens of thousands of pounds. His possible negligence or disregard for safety caused the death of 16 people. Or maybe he is blameless, perhaps due to a mechanical failure, or medical issue. But he just made a “small mistake”?? Really? Would the families of the young men and woman that were killed feel it was just a small mistake? No big deal? Who would honestly think that? I hope in a number of months we may know what actually happened, if LE ever discloses their findings to the public. If not, rumours and suspicions will exist forever.
Lots of possibilities but no evidence released. We're just guessing while the investigators surely have it figured out but gave been gagged for whatever reason. One theory I have is the bus was far away when the truck stopped, then proceeded, but it was coming at such a speed that it hit the truck getting underway in the intersection. I think it's a plausible theory given that no evidence has been divulged. The investigators hold all the cards.

Update on Ryan’s rehabilitation progress.

“Without feeling in his lower body, he has to rely on his upper body to move himself around independently, a skill he needs to master in order to transfer from his wheelchair to a car seat, or go from lying down to sitting up in bed, for instance.

“Kind of switching it up on how to get in and out of things, working on my strength,” he said of his latest rehabilitation sessions. “I think strength is a huge thing that I need if I want to start sledge hockey soon. Just strength and different types of things that I’m going to need to know when I get into the real world.”

And after that?

“Hopefully a departure back to Airdrie,” said Straschnitzki, “to start my new life.”

'It was like time froze': Straschnitzki returns to rehab after Humboldt reunion in Vegas

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back