CA CA - Paula Pope, 18, Fresh Pond, 3 Sept. 1972

That’s new news for me. I’ve been going off this summary, which to me sounds like bs: “She and her husband and their friends were camping at the Cripple Creek Campground near Fresh Pond, in El Dorado County. It was Labor Day weekend in 1972. She had an argument with her husband. She wanted to go to a rock concert in Carson City. Steve couldn't go because he was on parole and he couldn't leave the state. Paula stormed out of the camper. Her friend April went after her, but came back in to get her coat. It was raining. When she went out again, she couldn't find Paula. No one has seen her since.”

So your article implies that after she stormed off into the rain, she hitched to the concert and then got a ride back that same night? Confused.

I hear you, sunnynz. I was pretty confused at first too since there are only bits and pieces of the story in various articles.

My interpretation (with a bit of guessing) goes something like:

Paula was camping with friends but was also jonesing really hard for the music that was happening in Carson City. She was young, and the concert was calling her name. She and her husband couldn't both go. After fighting about it she ended up taking off in the rain since she wanted to go anyway. She would just hitch some rides there.

The campground where she & her friends were staying was off in the boondocks, but once Paula got a ride to the main road, (Interstate Hwy 50) it would have only took her another 1 1/2 hours to reach Carson City by car (not counting standing around and waiting for a car).

Apparently she got to the concert, and afterwards was traveling/hitching back west into CA with the folks from Sacramento that are mentioned in the article in post #39. The travelers allegedly attempted to convince Paula to come back to Sacramento with them, but she decided to head to the campsite, I guess to finish out the holiday weekend. The two travelers apparently saw her talking to motorcycle types, but the facts are very few. *This is where the trail goes cold, imo.

It seems like a very odd decision to try to hitch by oneself to a very remote forest service camp site versus traveling with the other two back home. That is IMO only. We have to remember that just about everyone hitched in those days. It was only starting to be warned about.

Interesting that someone has had her declared legally dead at some point I guess? So no thoughts from her family that she left of her own accord.

And I am guessing this is the right marriage record, in which case she had only been married a very short time when she disappeared. Not saying that's relevant, just one more piece of info to note. Presume the 'alias' listed on Namus of Judith Paula Ann Pile is her birth name.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 1.44.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 1.44.29 PM.png
    39.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 1.46.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 1.46.58 PM.png
    53.2 KB · Views: 12
Interesting that someone has had her declared legally dead at some point I guess? So no thoughts from her family that she left of her own accord.

And I am guessing this is the right marriage record, in which case she had only been married a very short time when she disappeared. Not saying that's relevant, just one more piece of info to note. Presume the 'alias' listed on Namus of Judith Paula Ann Pile is her birth name.
By the way I clearly still haven't figured out how to insert an attachment image into the corresponding text on this new website....

I don't know, I wish I did. I don't think she just took off, and I do think there was some sort of foul play. Whether Steve had anything to do with it, I've always wondered, and the whole thing just seems suspicious to me. That she has never been located is very bothersome.
Steve got a divorce in 1981, I saw, so I guess she was declared deceased sometime after that. I was a bridesmaid in their wedding just a few months prior to her disappearance.

A rather bizarre thing happened to me recently...I get emails from Our Time dating site with my supposed matches, and one I got the other day had Steve Pope's (her husband) picture right there...it was freaky...I thought maybe I was imagining it, but nope, it was him. Kinda crazy.

A rather bizarre thing happened to me recently...I get emails from Our Time dating site with my supposed matches, and one I got the other day had Steve Pope's (her husband) picture right there...it was freaky...I thought maybe I was imagining it, but nope, it was him. Kinda crazy.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtandSims4
Back