Welcome To Websleuths # 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
My phone was fully charged at 5pm, and by 545 it was down to 68% which is not common at all for my phone. Usually it would be at maybe 90%. I was only browsing here, one news article, and Instagram for a few minutes. My phone was also bugging out trying to reply to a thread before, I think bc of the video ad on the page. Idk if it’s all related but just something I noticed that’s unusual (the batttery draining)

I got this error a few minutes ago:

503 Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Did you get a screenshot? :D

My phone was fully charged at 5pm, and by 545 it was down to 68% which is not common at all for my phone. Usually it would be at maybe 90%. I was only browsing here, one news article, and Instagram for a few minutes. My phone was also bugging out trying to reply to a thread before, I think bc of the video ad on the page. Idk if it’s all related but just something I noticed that’s unusual (the batttery draining)
I'm watching mine drain before my eyes - and it's even plugged in.

I totally agree with everyone. Im a long time lurker and lagging, videos playing in the background, battery drain and hot phone is making me so frustrated to the point, i havent been coming on here much apart from this thread to see if its been fixed yet. excuse any typing mistakes my phone is glitching as i reply.

There is zero reason to have any of these issues as a simple google will tell you how to make video ads go away. If you are concerned about WS not getting ad revenue due to using what makes ads go away, then send a donation to Tricia's .

There is zero reason to have any of these issues as a simple google will tell you how to make video ads go away. If you are concerned about WS not getting ad revenue due to using what makes ads go away, then send a donation to Tricia's .
I don‘t have the problem with battery drainage as much as my iPhone is a newer model but I have the problem that the ads take up half of my screen space which wouldn’t change if I had a content blocker installed. Nothing against ads but the placement and size is just bizarre:
63A89F53-564E-4724-8DF3-E515B28D8F54.png
AFAIK, content blockers also do not work with older iOS versions, I don‘t know about Android.

Apart from that, I bet some people don‘t feel comfortable having to install something first to be able to open a webpage without battery drainage. Plus, there are pages you can‘t read any longer if you wanted to without switching the content blocker off (when they use content blocker detection).

I don‘t have the problem with battery drainage as much as my iPhone is a newer model but I have the problem that the ads take up half of my screen space which wouldn’t change if I had a content blocker installed. Nothing against ads but the placement and size is just bizarre:
View attachment 136546
AFAIK, content blockers also do not work with older iOS versions, I don‘t know about Android.

Apart from that, I bet some people don‘t feel comfortable having to install something first to be able to open a webpage without battery drainage. Plus, there are pages you can‘t read any longer if you wanted to without switching the content blocker off (when they use content blocker detection).

Why would nothing change? I've never seen one ad on this site.

Why would nothing change? I've never seen one ad on this site.
Because the ad wouldn‘t show but there would still be a frame taking up screen space. For me, it‘s not about the ads, it‘s about the placement/size of the ads and that makes using this site on a smartphone extremely uncomfortable. I don‘t have a problem with the ads on Firefox/laptop at all. It just doesn’t make sense to have the ads placed and sized like that for smartphone users. Plus, they are causing my screen to jump just as I‘m typing now.

Because the ad wouldn‘t show but there would still be a frame taking up screen space. For me, it‘s not about the ads, it‘s about the placement/size of the ads and that makes using this site on a smartphone extremely uncomfortable. I don‘t have a problem with the ads on Firefox/laptop at all. It just doesn’t make sense to have the ads placed and sized like that for smartphone users. Plus, they are causing my screen to jump just as I‘m typing now.
If you do it right, you should be able to block the frame from even showing up. But if you can't at least the video won't be playing, and draining all your power. You can't control where the ad shows up, but you can control if it shows up.

If you do it right, you should be able to block the frame from even showing up. But if you can't at least the video won't be playing, and draining all your power. You can't control where the ad shows up, but you can control if it shows up.
I don't want to install a content blocker because some pages I read use blocker detection, and more importantly, I don't want to have an app running in the background continuously, yet again draining battery power. It would help me a lot if those ads show on the bottom of the screen and not on the top on a smartphone. I think ads should just not take up half of the screen space.

And what do people with older 32-bit devices do who can't install a content blocker even if they wanted to?

Could you share how you did it with us?

How do we do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member