Identified! Oh - Eastlake, Whtmale 454umoh, 70, Alias 'jnchandler Iii', Jul'02 - Robert Ivan Nichols

Whatever the outcome, I hope any surviving family members aren't harassed by the public. I was horrified to read that happened to the family of Buckskin Girl Jane Doe..

What happened to her family? I know her siblings were sent emails, but was there anything else?

Waiting impatiently for presser...

What happened to her family? I know her siblings were sent emails, but was there anything else?

I read somewhere that her family received rude phone calls, people were screaming at them and calling them names and their personal Facebook accounts were spammed with mean messages.
Finding out their relative was a murder victim is hard enough for them, there's no need to abuse them verbally, what's wrong with people who do such things? :/

It was also reported on social media that some people called them to criticize them for not reporting her as missing. Email, phone calls, etc. sent to family for these purposes are wrong. I can't believe people can be so ignorant and insensitive, but some are.

Whatever the outcome, I hope any surviving family members aren't harassed by the public. I was horrified to read that happened to the family of Buckskin Girl Jane Doe. What is wrong with some people? Why would anyone threaten innocent strangers that way? Hope it doesn't happen if Chandler has relatives, but I fear it will.

I hope his family is left alone and not harrassed but I am curious if any of his family will speak to the press. When Kimberly McLean was identified her family chose to do one interview with one journalist from Seattle (no cameras, just an in print interview) and then basically got on with their lives. I never heard about them being harassed in that case. That seemed to be a good balanced amount of press that satisfied the public curiosity, while at the same time letting the family have personal space. It seems every case is different though.

Who was Joseph Newton Chandler III? Authorities will reveal the true identity of the Eastlake man
U.S. Marshal for Northern Ohio Peter J. Elliott once compared attempts to find the true identity of Joseph Newtown Chandler III to chasing a ghost.
AR-180629951.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667
"Joseph Newton Chandler III"

I feel like his family won't be met with harassment, especially if he is running from a criminal past. Just like Terry Rasmussen's family was granted their privacy after finding out their father/ex-husband was a serial killer. In Buck skin girl and Grateful Doe's cases the negative reaction came from mainly a misunderstanding of times. We currently are in a world where Connecting to almost anyone is one click away. Both BoCases

I feel like his family won't be met with harassment, especially if he is running from a criminal past. Just like Terry Rasmussen's family was granted their privacy after finding out their father/ex-husband was a serial killer. In Buck skin girl and Grateful Doe's cases the negative reaction came from mainly a misunderstanding of times. We currently are in a world where Connecting to almost anyone is one click away. Both BoCases
Sorry keyboard was freezing up.

Only recently discovered this mystery after clicking an errant tab while web-surfing. Eager for answers.

If not, it's interesting to imagine what might be.

Robert Ivan Nichols, New Albany, IN

Had son who lived in Ohio, positively matched Joseph Newton Chandler.

Son said last contact with father was in 1965, a letter postmarked from Napa, CA.

Was in Navy, injured and received Purple Heart. Came back from war and burned his uniform. Resided in Dearborn, MI 1964, settled in San Fran & poss LA. Reported missing by family in 1965. Failed to locate him. Never contacted family again.

Don't know why he did what he did.

Son now speaking. Thanks everyone on the team. Puts to rest a mystery in their family. Grateful it's put to rest. Knew it was him from photos. Holds no animosity towards his father. Thanks everyone.

Now various members of the investigative team thanking each other. Still want to figure out whole story about why he left.

Last edited:
In early 2018 they identified Robert Ivan Nichols from New Albany, Indiana as being similar to Chandler and a possible match.
In March of 2018 they found his sound and did a DNA test. The test results determined Robert Ivan Nichols was Chandler.
Last contact with son was in 1965. He sent a letter from Napa, CA.
He was reported missing by his family in 1965.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back