Found Deceased Canada - Dan Archbald, 37, & Ryan Daley, 43, Ucluelet, Bc, 16 May 2018

Sadly, it could yet turn out to be organized crime involved and in that case we may never know what really happened.
I know that is a possibility, but I also remember cases such as the retired couple from St. Albert murdered by Travis Vader, presumably for their cash, when he was strung out on drugs and desperate.

I think there could be an innocent explanation why they had a lot of baggage that they didn't want to leave on the boat and needed to take down to keep at Daley's place at Jordan River.

Asking someone to come pick them up and take them to JR, whether taking the ferry over from Squamish, or coming up from Victoria, would require a good 12 hours, I think, and then the driver'd need to get back to their home. Plus the driver would need a big vehicle or truck, a compact car wouldn't work. There's not many people I'd ask to do me that kind of favour.

Maybe they trusted the wrong person.

I know that is a possibility, but I also remember cases such as the retired couple from St. Albert murdered by Travis Vader, presumably for their cash, when he was strung out on drugs and desperate.

I think there could be an innocent explanation why they had a lot of baggage that they didn't want to leave on the boat and needed to take down to keep at Daley's place at Jordan River.

Asking someone to come pick them up and take them to JR, whether taking the ferry over from Squamish, or coming up from Victoria, would require a good 12 hours, I think, and then the driver'd need to get back to their home. Plus the driver would need a big vehicle or truck, a compact car wouldn't work. There's not many people I'd ask to do me that kind of favour.

The drive to Ukee from Victoria is about 4 hrs and 3 back down to Jordan River, then 1 hr back to Victoria. If I had been a wife or family member who hadn’t seen them in 8 weeks I wouldn’t blink at offering a ride instead of hitchiking.

As for hitchhiking it would be more difficult in my mind for them to try and find someone a) willing to pick them up and take them to JR and b) have room for all of their gear too.

According to this article, one of them did call an ex-girlfriend in Victoria to see if she could give them a ride, but she wasn't able to do so. Maybe they did finally find another friend / acquaintance who agreed to pick them up?

(By the way, I think the article is incorrect, or perhaps Watt got it the wrong way around. It was Daley's property, not Archibald's, so it was likely Daley who called the ex-girlfriend for a ride)

‘You feel both hope and sadness’: Search underway for missing men last seen in Ucluelet

"He said Archbald called his ex-girlfriend and asked for a ride to his home in Jordan River from Ucluelet.

“For whatever reason she wasn’t able to do that,” Watt said."

According to this article, one of them did call an ex-girlfriend in Victoria to see if she could give them a ride, but she wasn't able to do so. Maybe they did finally find another friend / acquaintance who agreed to pick them up?

(By the way, I think the article is incorrect, or perhaps Watt got it the wrong way around. It was Daley's property, not Archibald's, so it was likely Daley who called the ex-girlfriend for a ride)

‘You feel both hope and sadness’: Search underway for missing men last seen in Ucluelet

"He said Archbald called his ex-girlfriend and asked for a ride to his home in Jordan River from Ucluelet.

“For whatever reason she wasn’t able to do that,” Watt said."

The drive to Ukee from Victoria is about 4 hrs and 3 back down to Jordan River, then 1 hr back to Victoria. If I had been a wife or family member who hadn’t seen them in 8 weeks I wouldn’t blink at offering a ride instead of hitchiking.

As for hitchhiking it would be more difficult in my mind for them to try and find someone a) willing to pick them up hand take them to JR and b) have room for all of their gear too.

Unless it was someone they met while they were waiting for the 3 days. The police were very interested in interactions over those 3 days.

As for hitchhiking it would be more difficult in my mind for them to try and find someone a) willing to pick them up and take them to JR and b) have room for all of their gear too.

Thank you for the details concerning the travel time. Much appreciated!

I agree with everything you've said . It makes sense that Dan's wife would pick them up.

Question: How did Dan and Ryan plan to get back to Squamish if someone wasn't planning to pick them up at some point to take them home?

As for other modes of transportation to get to Jordan River, I read somewhere that there are water taxis and a bus service.

What if Ryan and Dan were walking towards a bus stop? I wonder if there is a bus office there to buy tickets or one purchases them at a designated bus stop using cash?

They just paid $300.00 cash to the Harbor Master for a month's moorage. How much would transportation cost to get from there to Jordan River? Bus would be cheaper of course than water taxi. I'd happily take the bus as opposed to walking and hitchhiking with or without all of that heavy baggage.

I keep thinking how voices carry over the water at night and how remarkably clear voices can be heard. Police were asking if anyone overheard or noticed anything during the 3 days. Also, they may have inquired of others on the dock about bus schedules, etc. Although Ryan would likely be aware of the area and transportation there - I don't know.

What I do know is if I returned from an 8-week sailing journey from Panama and was stuck on my boat for 3 days I would splurge on transportation to get me closer to surfing at Ryan's.

Last edited:
As for other modes of transportation to get to Jordan River, I read somewhere that there are water taxis and a bus service.

What if Ryan and Dan were walking towards a bus stop? I wonder if there is a bus office there to buy tickets or one purchases them at a designated bus stop using cash?

They just paid $300.00 cash to the Harbor Master for a month's moorage. How much would transportation cost to get from there to Jordan River? Bus would be cheaper of course than water taxi. I'd happily take the bus as opposed to walking and hitchhiking with or without all of that heavy baggage.

I keep thinking how voices carry over the water at night and how remarkably clear voices can be heard. Police were asking if anyone overheard or noticed anything during the 3 days. Also, they may have inquired of others on the dock about bus schedules, etc. Although Ryan would likely be aware of the area and transportation there - I don't know.

What I do know is if I returned from an 8-week sailing journey from Panama and was stuck on my boat for 3 days I would splurge on transportation to get me closer to surfing at Ryan's.

There is a Greyhound in Ucluelet at 1738 Penninsula Road:

Greyhound.ca | Ucluelet, BC

2 buses a day departing 11:10 AM and 1:40 PM

Last edited:
Thinking of that person (possibly KC the harbour master??) being on his phone in that last image of the guys leaving, was he possibly calling a cab for them? Obviously that should be easy to verify also, but RCMP don't tell the public everything they have done as part of their investigation.

Thinking of that person (possibly KC the harbour master??) being on his phone in that last image of the guys leaving, was he possibly calling a cab for them? Obviously that should be easy to verify also, but RCMP don't tell the public everything they have done as part of their investigation.
How do we know who he was calling? He would know many boaters using that port. Who knows if he was calling someone to let them know Archbald & Daley had arrived...

Honestly, after not seeing my husband for 8 weeks, knowing from where they had journeyed....I find it very odd that loved ones were not waiting (after three days in port), also family/friends were not contacted to let them know they had arrived......something is odd here........

I dont think they caught a bus, that would be too easy to verify. IMO

Hi ttcRider,

If they did get on the bus - yes that would be easy to verify.

But what if something happened or someone intervened (perhaps with a ride) on their way to the bus stop?

That's why I was asking where the bus stop would be. (Thanks to SillyBilly for providing answer!)

There seemed to be some "urgency" in their step leaving the dock area towards the parking lot. I wish I knew whether they in a bit of a hurry to catch a bus or was there a ride available to them.

Was it common knowledge there were no surveillance cameras in the parking lot?

Just putting it out there because someone wondered if there was a bus station in town.

Thanks SillyBilly for the information about the bus. There is a possibility they were headed towards a bus stop but someone stopped them.

On the video there seemed to be an "intent" and almost a "hurry" in their step. I wondered whether they were in a hurry to catch a bus or they saw a ride waiting for them.

Sometimes bus stops are in isolated areas (on highways) but obviously if that was their intent, Dan and Ryan were prevented from getting there.

All we know is someone or something interfered with them getting to Ryan's property.

Last edited:

Amen to this. (bolded by me)

Long interview with Dan Archbald's wife - Leah Bliss - in the days since the discovery of the remains in Ucluelet.
Nice to have some background on the family but also sad to hear about the logistical nightmares of being the spouse of a missing person...
at link:
Wife of missing man tries to financially buoy family in the wake of tragic loss

Sh also explains the taking down of the FB page:
The mystery of the situation is a tough pill to swallow for Archbald's family. Negative comments on a Facebook page about Archbald and Daley as to what might have brought about such a disappearance resulted in the page recently being taken down.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back