CANADA Canada - Jesokah Adkens, 17, Sooke, BC, 26 Sep 2001

Snoopster

Reaction score
I didn't find a thread here for Jesokah so thought I would start one. I don't recall hearing about this case in the media at the time and it certainly seems like foul play was involved. Let's help Jesokah's family find out what happened so they don't have to wonder.

Here is Jesokah's missing kids link and specifics:

http://www.missingkids.com/poster/RCMP/0100816/1

RCMP0100816c1.jpg

Missing Since: Sep 26, 2001
Missing From: Sooke, Canada
DOB: May 1, 1984
Age Now: 29
Sex: Female
Hair Color: Blonde
Eye Color: Blue
Height: 5'5"
Weight: 110 lbs

Jesokah was last seen at around 21:30 as she was going to take a bus back to the village of Sooke.

Here is the link from The Doe Network:

On September 26th, 2001 at approximately 9:30 pm, Jesokah Adkens was seen standing at a bus stop near Saseenos Elementary School in Sooke, BC. She was believed to be on her way home to feed her dog. Jesokah was never seen again. On September 29th, 2001, Jocelan Adkens, Jesokah's mother, reported her missing to the local Sooke RCMP Detachment.

Though Jesokah did not live with Clayten and Jocelan Adkens (mother and father), it was very unusual for her not to have contact with them or her brothers. At the time of her disappearance Jesokah was residing in the Sooke area with a roommate. She was 17 years old and was attending school at Edward Milne Secondary.

She was a very social person and was well known throughout the Sooke and Port Renfrew communities. She associated with people from all walks of life and she hitchhiked regularly from points anywhere between Port Renfrew, Sooke and Victoria. The Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit considers Jesokah's disappearance suspicious and says foul play cannot be ruled out.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3160dfbc.html

Here is some info from the media...

The blond, blue-eyed 17-year-old was last seen at the bus stop about 9:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 26, 2001. She had left a friend's place and was headed to the house she shared with a roommate about two kilometres away in the village of Sooke.

Jesokah Adkens was never seen again.

Police and her parents immediately suspected foul play. The Edward Milne Community School student left her knapsack and identification at her house, as well as her beloved German shepherd pup, Daphne.

"I think it's pretty obvious," said Clayten Adkens, Jesokah's father.

The RCMP called in reinforcements, a tracking dog, a helicopter and a dive team to assist with the search, but never found any sign of the slight teenager, who weighed 110 pounds and stood five feet five inches tall. She was last seen wearing a black pullover jacket, blue jeans, black running shoes and a Doors T-shirt.
- See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/l...ts-live-in-limbo-1.14152#sthash.YJHBQOWd.dpuf

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/missing-girl-s-parents-live-in-limbo-1.14152

Heck, she left her beloved puppy behind. That isn't right. What happened to Jesokah? She stood beside a busy road and didn't make it home. She was a slightly built teen, who was likely grabbed. Why hasn't this case had more attention? :(

Another bump for Jesokah, an interesting read in the local paper today. Also of note, her parents declined an interview for the story.

“They know … they know. That’s what makes me so mad. There are people in Sooke who know what happened and have never said anything,” said Tommi Johnston, who was close to Jesokah and often had her stay at her home."

https://www.saanichnews.com/news/th...-GXpG-_TyQOKJyYSYS32Olf58tP9i6TB-uWubkbYEXBUQ

Another bump for Jesokah, an interesting read in the local paper today. Also of note, her parents declined an interview for the story.

“They know … they know. That’s what makes me so mad. There are people in Sooke who know what happened and have never said anything,” said Tommi Johnston, who was close to Jesokah and often had her stay at her home."

https://www.saanichnews.com/news/th...-GXpG-_TyQOKJyYSYS32Olf58tP9i6TB-uWubkbYEXBUQ

Thanks for posting this. I hate it when young people like this get only superficial attention. This girl deserved to live. What happened to her?

Why do some reports say that she met a friend in the afternoon of September 26th and left shortly after 9 pm to walk to the bus stop, and others that she shared dinner with 3 friends? I'm curious whether it was at a public place that they had dinner (could they have been watched?)
There's not a lot of information about her life, like how 3 days can go by in the disappearance of a well loved student, room mate and dog owner before it is reported is baffling to me.

Here is some info from the media...

Missing girl's parents live in limbo

Heck, she left her beloved puppy behind. That isn't right. What happened to Jesokah? She stood beside a busy road and didn't make it home. She was a slightly built teen, who was likely grabbed. Why hasn't this case had more attention? :(
very strange forsure, The street inst very busy. I live close by and where she was last seen a the bus stop is very dark around that time of year and at night there is no street lights.

There are some interesting comments under the first article linked below that, if true, identifies the people who may have been with Jesokah last. However, if there is any truth to that comment, it's unlikely she'll ever be located, unfortunately. MOO

BC RCMP reissues public plea for help finding Jesokah Adkens on National Missing Children’s Day – Sooke PocketNews
May 25, 2017
Detective Kathleen Murphy with the Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit, along with the Sooke RCMP, are urging anyone with information to come forward. "As a parent and an investigator, I absolutely want to help the Adkens family get some answers as to what happened to Jesokah that night, says Detective Murphy. Please look at her photo and read the details of her disappearance once more. If you lived in that area or were travelling there at the time and can recall any bit of information that may help us solve this case, please call the police."

The Disappearance Of Jesokah Adkens – Missing From Sooke, BC – Since 2001
12/29/2019
Snipped

What the investigation has revealed:
The Sooke RCMP commenced a lengthy investigation into the whereabouts of Jesokah, which included a substantial ground, air and water search. As the investigation unfolded it became more and more evident foul play could not be ruled out and the Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit took over the investigation. Despite an active and on-going investigation she has never been found.

56817_twitter_Adken-Jesokah-227x300.jpg
60888131_10157219152318917_7218124369824841728_n.jpg

The strange case of Jesokah Adkens
Tim Collins

The strange case of Jesokah Adkens - Victoria News

All was not what it seemed in Sooke girl’s disappearance 18 years ago.

It’s been nearly 18 years since the Sept. 26, 2001, disappearance of 17-year-old Jesokah Adkens.

She was reported to have shared dinner with three friends that night and at about 9:30 p.m., left to walk alone to a nearby bus stop beside Saseenos elementary school.

She was never seen again.

It took three days before anyone reported Jesokah’s disappearance. That’s when her mother made the call to the RCMP.

The bus stop where Jesokah was last seen is gone now, moved to a different location, but an overgrown memorial to her disappearance still marks the spot.

That memorial sits untended, these days, but at least one of Jesokah’s friends remembers the petite blue-eyed teen and is convinced there are people in Sooke who know exactly what happened to her.

“They know … they know. That’s what makes me so mad. There are people in Sooke who know what happened and have never said anything,” said Tommi Johnston, who was close to Jesokah and often had her stay at her home.

That sentiment was echoed by a prominent Sooke resident who asked to remain anonymous.

“People have a pretty good idea of what happened and who knows all about it, but I’m afraid to give you any names or information. I can’t prove any of it, and, honestly, I’d be afraid that they would come after me,” they said. “Let’s just say there were some prominent people involved.”

At the time of the disappearance, the police issued statements and undertook what they described as an intensive ground, air and water search of the area. Sooke RCMP soon announced foul play could not be ruled out. The Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit took over the investigation.

“As a parent and an investigator, I absolutely want to help the Adkens family get some answers as to what happened,” said Det. Kathleen Murphy of the major crime unit.

Murphy was handed the case two years ago and said that the investigation remains active.

“Jesokah Adkens was a normal 17 year old. She had lots of friends, a steady boyfriend, and attended high school. Jesokah moved in with one of her girlfriends in August 2001, but she had a good relationship with her parents and kept daily contact with them after she moved out,” wrote Murphy in a 2017 press release.
Johnston and her daughter Clara said statements like this fail to give the whole story on Jesokah, and while it may be designed to be sensitive to her family, it isn’t accurate. That failure, they say, may be hampering the investigation.

(The parents declined to be interviewed for this story).

“Don’t get me wrong, her parents loved her to death … they weren’t bad to her. But Jesokah left home when she was 14 or 15 because she wanted to be out with her friends and she liked to party,” said Clara Johnston who said she was Jesokah’s friend and at the time a part of a group of other young teens who liked to party.

Tommi Johnston’s assessment is more to the point.

“She (Jesokah) hung around with some of the worst people, all the bums. She’d sit under the trees and talk with them for hours,” Tommi said.

“There was a whole crew of them. They called themselves the Skids and they drank, did drugs, and were taken advantage of by older men who supplied them with alcohol and drugs.”

One of those individuals, who went by the nickname of No Nose, was a known drug dealer. Jesokah told Tommi Johnston that, even though she was no longer taking drugs, she still owed the man $80 for cocaine and that she was going to pay him off.

“He was a pretty terrible person,” Tommi said. No Nose died years ago in Alberta.

Asked about this and other uncorroborated information, RCMP Cpl. Christopher Manseau responded in a written statement.

“When investigating a missing person, victimology plays a large part in the investigation. We’ve worked to know Jesokah’s movements and history. As this remains an active ongoing investigation, we must remain mindful that any new releases and information are open to court scrutiny should this matter come to that resolution.”

But there are other curious aspects of the case.

“The police only looked for Jesokah for about five days before giving up, but me and a whole group of her friends kept up the search. People came from all over to help, and we kept it up for more than two years,” she explained.

She recalled one strange incident during that time involving a woman named Polly, who was unknown to Tommi but who involved herself in every search.

“I found out that it was Polly and her boyfriend and another man who had been with Jesokah the night she disappeared. She’d never told any of us that she even knew Jesokah and when I confronted her, she left the group and we never heard from her again.

That account was corroborated by Tommi’s daughter, Clara, who recalled the situation as “really weird.”

A few other points to note.

By all accounts, Jesokah had begun to turn her life around by the time of her disappearance. She was attending school and spoke often about entering a nursing program upon graduation.

Jesokah received an online deposit of income assistance benefits on the day she disappeared. None of the cash was ever used.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back