Welcome To Websleuths # 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you share how you did it with us?

Go to google and type the name of your device and then type remove video ads. Here is the link to the WS

Click here to support Websleuths is on the Brink organized by Tricia Arrington Griffith

I don't want to install a content blocker because some pages I read use blocker detection, and more importantly, I don't want to have an app running in the background continuously, yet again draining battery power. It would help me a lot if those ads show on the bottom of the screen and not on the top on a smartphone. I think ads should just not take up half of the screen space.

And what do people with older 32-bit devices do who can't install a content blocker even if they wanted to?

Although I agree with many of your points, just wanted to say that a content blocker doesn't have to run in the background or drain battery; many of them just change a background setting that prevents certain websites from ever loading (if a webpage calls for nastyvideoad.com, this setting changes that to not load anything). I just checked my phone's battery tracking app, and of the many many processes appearing in the list, my blocker is not there, at all.

Not that I think blockers should be necessary in the first place; any website supplying obnoxious ads that cause problems should be responsible for solving the problem! But many websites don't do that, and as some bad ads contain malware, and my phone doesn't have as good anti-malware protection as my PC, I permanently have a blocker installed on my phone to prevent issues. The more sites run bad ads, the more people will use blockers and see no ads at all; I wish sites and ad providers would learn this before they completely kill their revenue model.

Last edited:
I don't want to install a content blocker because some pages I read use blocker detection, and more importantly, I don't want to have an app running in the background continuously, yet again draining battery power. It would help me a lot if those ads show on the bottom of the screen and not on the top on a smartphone. I think ads should just not take up half of the screen space.

And what do people with older 32-bit devices do who can't install a content blocker even if they wanted to?

I visit a few sites that detect content blocker, but it's relatively simple to whitelist your access to the site. If you don't get a banner asking if you'd like to whitelist, look around on the homepage for the option.

Last edited:
Here's an example (Food Network website). Follow the steps to disengage content blocker for the site.

We hate pop-ups too. That’s why we don’t allow them. We promise the only pop-ups you’ll see around here are cake pops. Help us continue to create great content for you by turning off your for our site. It’s easy and we’ll show you how.
Turn off

I found an browser through the Play Store (Samsung). So far it seems to have made a big difference. I will still advocate for TT, but at least I can type responses now. There are still some internal WS ads/links showing up but I don't mind those.

I also learned, quite by accident, that trying to click on the teeny little dot to go to the first unread post in a thread is unnecessary. Just clicking on the title will do the same thing (at least on my phone it does).

I am going to wait to hear from Tricia and Dave before doing anything.

I don't want to block revenue producing ads for WS and don't think the ads are necessarily the problem anyway, they are annoying how they keep getting in the way of using the forum, so I hope a solution is found as sb suggested.

I don't want to block revenue producing ads for WS and don't think the ads are necessarily the problem anyway, they are annoying how they keep getting in the way of using the forum, so I hope a solution is found as sb suggested.
I don't want to cause revenue loss either, but the browser has resulted in the ability to use the forum from my phone. When the alternative is the inability to use it, well the answer for me is clear. Ads aren't going to bring revenue if people aren't able to use the forum.

Me too on the wait and see. It's now been since the twelfth, I think, so perhaps soon.

I still need to catch up on this 2nd thread but very silly question - I see we now should follow people and not friend them anymore. Where do I click to follow someone?

Gardener 1850 if you see this message, I did try.
He always posts lots of updates so thought it would be handy to follow but unfortunately I can't access his profile (I assume follow button is there?) as his settings are on private even for members? Or am I doing it wrongly? It does not even let me message him as again he is too private or something.

Sorry, I am still veeery confused with lots of new basic things.

Click on their username, and select: Follow.

Thank you! I clicked on your username and finally see where follow button is :). And yes, I can see other things too. Now, it seems that that it is not possible to do with him, I guess due to new settings he made. I am not sure he is aware people can't follow him.

So I guess lesson is when you put your settings to private (private profile) people are unable to follow you or hm even message you? (I am not too sure as I am not too active in neither of these two departments)

I still need to catch up on this 2nd thread but very silly question - I see we now should follow people and not friend them anymore. Where do I click to follow someone?

Gardener 1850 if you see this message, I did try.
He always posts lots of updates so thought it would be handy to follow but unfortunately I can't access his profile (I assume follow button is there?) as his settings are on private even for members? Or am I doing it wrongly? It does not even let me message him as again he is too private or something.

Sorry, I am still veeery confused with lots of new basic things.

Hi Al Ka, just click my user name under my avatar and select "Follow" I just followed you so you should be able to follow back. Oh, and I am a she, not a he. I'm flattered, though, that you want to follow me. :D
I have my private messages (now called conversations) disabled at the moment. I just can't keep up with people messaging me and reading/updating all my threads too. But I haven't set anything to limit followers as far as I can tell.

Hey, you saw me writing here:)

Now Gardener, you are able to follow me as I did not change anything in my profile yet.

However I guess you did update recently your profile settings. I just did click on your username and all it shows me :
Websleuths - Error
This member limits who may view their full profile.

Absolutely nothing else I am able to see there. Not even joining date, nothing. So, I unfortunately can't follow you even if I wanted to.

Maybe admins can do some changes in that too. To have safe private profiles but still being able to be followed.

Now Gardener, you are able to follow me as I did not change anything in my profile yet.

However I guess you did update recently your profile settings. I just did click on your username and all it shows me :
Websleuths - Error

Absolutely nothing else I am able to see there. Not even joining date, nothing. So, I unfortunately can't follow you even if I wanted to.

Maybe admins can do some changes in that too. To have safe private profiles but still being able to be followed.

I clicked on @Gardener1850 and was able to follow her without any errors.

Websleuths - Error

Weird. Others have "followed" me recently so I don't know why you can't. I get an alert when someone follows. Let me play with my settings. I haven't blocked you (at least not on purpose).

Websleuths - Error

I only get the ERROR message if I try to open her profile. Option to follow is available before that step.

HTH's

I only get the ERROR message if I try to open her profile. Option to follow is available before that step.

HTH's
Sorry, which other step? Where else I can see follow button but not on profile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa