Anthony Bourdain, 61, Tv Chef And Travel Host, Found Dead, Suicide

Maybe many are too young to remember Gene Shepherd but Bourdain has that swag. I know, being from the beloved NJ.

Both are NJ storytellers, one a radio star, the other a film star... But both exceptional writers.

My favorite Shepherd quote: Jersey people have that compost heap vitality,,,

It's true people, my state gives us all the greats! Bruce Springsteen, Patti Smith, and whoa, livin'on a prayer... Bon Jovie... (Oh love!)

How could one state be so great? Ask anyone who has lived here. But not about the taxes!!!

Bourdain knew that. I love him for knowing that. The real NJ. The one that all three artists above mentioned wrote and sang about so brilliantly. --He hooked into the essence of wherever he travelled, whether parts known, or unknown.

^^ this was his secret sauce that I'll miss so much.

Bourdain was found dead in his hotel room in Kraysersberg, France, on June 8 by his close friend Eric Ripert, a French chef, with whom he was filming his CNN series "Parts Unknown." French prosecutor Christian de Rocquigny told the Associated Press on June 9 that there was no evidence of foul play in Bourdain's death and didn't appear to put much planning into his suicide.

There is no element that makes us suspect that someone came into the room at any moment,” Rocquigny said, adding that a medical expert had concluded that there was no
evidence of violence and that toxicology tests were being performed.

Anthony Bourdain's body reportedly cremated in France

Anthony Bourdain and Asia Argento had an open relationship so Asia spent the weekend before Anthony committed suicide with Hugo Clement. People have blamed her for Tony's suicide but she denies it. Her friend, Rose McGowan urges people not to blame Asia for Tony's suicide in a letter to the media. McGowan described Bourdain’s suicide as his own “horrible choice” and wrote that “his depression won” in the heart-wrenching letter.

Rose McGowan urges people not to blame Asia Argento for Anthony Bourdain’s suicide - World | The Star Online

Poor Asia Argento, can't speak for herself. Has to have Rose "metoo" McGowan make excuses for her actions possibly being a contributing factor to AB's suicide. Stating "it was AB who took his own life" . Of course it was AB who made that decision, no argument there. Unless you have been in the "black hole" of depression, one cannot begin to understand that mindset.

Unfortunately it may have been "Asia Argento" just being in his life. She seems to have her own demons and even Anthony stated "he never met anyone who wanted to die more than him"
No one is saying Harvey Weinstein is not evil, but why would one who says the sex was against
her will continue to see Mr. Weinstein for a time after that.....Oh Wait...she had a business deal at the time And Mr. Weinstein could be HELPFUL. People using people. sadly her story only blurs the line for those women who were indeed raped or ran away before he could do anything. They had careers too, but somehow they managed to say NO and walk away.
MOO seems someone with her character has her own problems and those problems were added to AB"S depressive state. Very Sad .

RELATED: Rose McGowan Says Anthony Bourdain ‘Reached Out for Help’ Before Suicide: ‘His Depression Won’

Argento, an Italian actress prominent in the #metoo movement, and Bourdain had been dating for more than a year. The pair met during the filming of Parts Unknown in 2016 and began dating a year later. Argento collaborated with Bourdain on his show, and recently directed an upcoming episode set in Hong Kong.

Argento’s friend, who had spent time with Bourdain recently, previously told PEOPLE that Bourdain “was madly in love with Asia” before his death last week.

“Like a teenage boy just absolutely lovestruck,” the friend said of Bourdain’s feelings for Argento, adding, “He would have done anything for her, and that was a little red flag for some of his friends.”

Asia Argento Says She's 'Fine' and Relying on God 1 Day After Anthony Bourdain's Cremation

Well. Imo...

1. I do not believe rose mcgowen... She is beyond bat-you-know-what cray, cray.

2. Unbelievable that she would publish such personal information about Bourdain. Is she out of her mind? Yes.

3: Good lord, his poor family, the man has a daughter. -A young daughter.

Mcgowen exemplifies everything that is wrong with today's society. The fact that her cray crap can go instantly global is even more heartbreaking.

She's so stupid. While I agree suicide is no one else's fault, we already knew that. Right?

Her pathetic defense of "she sought help" for her children and "he did not" depression won, is about the lowest anyone can go. I don't care if it is true or not.

I sincerely doubt either of those two women have a clue outside their bubble of revenge. And they were so unfortunately the wrong turn in the universe for an otherwise sane man. It happens in life. He chose a woman, a narcissist, who mowed him down. And he's not the first man.

I only hope he left some kind of love and reasoning behind for his daughter. But I'm not sure. It seems she has a very grounded mom. Her message, by contrast, focused on what's important. ..."our girl".

It puts the tranperant blathering on the streets of Rome, after the fact, to shame.

Poor Asia Argento, can't speak for herself. Has to have Rose "metoo" McGowan make excuses for her actions possibly being a contributing factor to AB's suicide. Stating "it was AB who took his own life" . Of course it was AB who made that decision, no argument there. Unless you have been in the "black hole" of depression, one cannot begin to understand that mindset.

Unfortunately it may have been "Asia Argento" just being in his life. She seems to have her own demons and even Anthony stated "he never met anyone who wanted to die more than him"
No one is saying Harvey Weinstein is not evil, but why would one who says the sex was against
her will continue to see Mr. Weinstein for a time after that.....Oh Wait...she had a business deal at the time And Mr. Weinstein could be HELPFUL. People using people. sadly her story only blurs the line for those women who were indeed raped or ran away before he could do anything. They had careers too, but somehow they managed to say NO and walk away.
MOO seems someone with her character has her own problems and those problems were added to AB"S depressive state. Very Sad .
Omg,.....thanks for saying what I was too afraid to write.....spot on

Well. Imo...

1. I do not believe rose mcgowen... She is beyond bat-you-know-what cray, cray.

2. Unbelievable that she would publish such personal information about Bourdain. Is she out of her mind? Yes.

3: Good lord, his poor family, the man has a daughter. -A young daughter.

Mcgowen exemplifies everything that is wrong with today's society. The fact that her cray crap can go instantly global is even more heartbreaking.

She's so stupid. While I agree suicide is no one else's fault, we already knew that. Right?

Her pathetic defense of "she sought help" for her children and "he did not" depression won, is about the lowest anyone can go. I don't care if it is true or not.

I sincerely doubt either of those two women have a clue outside their bubble of revenge. And they were so unfortunately the wrong turn in the universe for an otherwise sane man. It happens in life. He chose a woman, a narcissist, who mowed him down. And he's not the first man.

I only hope he left some kind of love and reasoning behind for his daughter. But I'm not sure. It seems she has a very grounded mom. Her message, by contrast, focused on what's important. ..."our girl".

It puts the tranperant blathering on the streets of Rome, after the fact, to shame.
Well said as well.......I’m from jersey.......exit 5. Boom

This is one of the best, most interesting, and well written pieces I have read since Anthony's death.
Someone posted it earlier and no one commented on it which might mean no one else read it. It helps to like and understand artists and writers, of which Anthony was both and much more.

Fiction Confidential
Is the real Anthony Bourdain lurking in his early novels?
by Maria Bustillos Jan 25, 2017, 12:43pm EST

Fiction Confidential

My apologies in advance for sourcing in the text only -- tech inept, can't link from Kindle archive??

In an earlier post, I speculated that AB "loved hard." I've since read more about his early love life, and I'll never be convinced otherwise! He loved very hard.

"Open relationship?... sure, fine." Except that I see one, loyal man who simply wants his anchor by his side.

First Love:

Anthony Bourdain and NP were together long before Bourdain became a chef, author and TV personality. They were high school sweethearts in New Jersey and later married in 1985.
Bourdain said in a 2012 interview with Daily Life that NP was older than him and she was the “bad girl” in high school. He said in high school, he hung out with the typical crowd, while she was part of the “druggy crowd” and he was “smitten.”

In fact, Bourdain said he chose to graduate high school a year early so that he could follow her to Vassar College in New York. At the time, Vassar had just started admitting men, Bourdain said, so he was one of the only male students at the college when he enrolled. However, he dropped out after two years and enrolled in the Culinary Institute of America in New York.

Bourdain and NP were incredibly close and, at one time, he considered her the love of his life. “She was my partner in crime, my wife, and before that my girlfriend,” he told Daily Life.

Bourdain elaborated on his married life with NP in a 2017 interview with the New Yorker, comparing their marriage to the Gus Van Sant film “Drugstore Cowboy.” Anthony said he and NP had a “kind of love and codependency and sense of adventure – we were criminals together. A lot of our life was built around that, and happily so.”

He said much of their life involved drugs, but they also enjoyed a pretty quiet lifestyle, where they would get takeout at night, watch The Simpsons together, and save up for a vacation in the Caribbean every few years.

Bourdain told Daily Life that, like most couples, he and NP had good times and bad times. “I spent almost two years traveling and filming ‘A Cook’s Tour’ and, as a result, my marriage fell apart,” he said.

He did try to save his first marriage though. According to the New Yorker, he remodeled their apartment, but they still failed to establish a travel schedule to accommodate both parties. He wanted to travel the world and she simply wanted to take a vacation once a year, so, ultimately, they divorced after 20 years citing distance as the driving force.

After their split, Bourdain said he coped by self-medicating and behaving “in a completely irresponsible and suicidal way."

He said divorce was the worst thing in the world for him, even though it was pretty amicable and wasn’t contentious or long and drawn out like some divorces. “It’s just a terrible thing when a relationship that great ends,” he said. (BBM)

One time, according to the New Yorker, after passing out after taking medicine for an illness and drinking alcohol on an empty stomach, he woke up emotionally shaken, and he went back to his villa to write a long email to NP to help clear his head.

When asked about what he wrote, he told the New Yorker:

“The sort of thing you write if you, you know, thought you were going to die. ‘I’m *advertiser censored*king sorry. I’m sure I’ve acted like I wasn’t.’ We’ve had very little contact—you know, civil, but very, very little. ‘I’m sorry. I know that doesn’t help. It won’t fix it, there’s no making amends. But it’s not like I don’t remember. It’s not like I don’t know what I’ve done.'”

Second Wife:

"An unconventional relationship from the beginning." People Food

OB was born and raised in Lombardy, Italy and moved to NYC in 2000. She was studying to be a dentist when, in 2000, she abruptly fled to the U.S. with just $300 to her name, following an Irish rock musician she was infatuated with.

She worked her way up the chain of command at various New York restaurants, before becoming general manager at Geisha. It was there that famed chef Eric Ripert met her and thought she’d be a good match for his friend, Anthony Bourdain. (Eric Ripert reportedly found AB deceased). The couple’s first date was a cigar bar. Within a few dates, they had matching chef’s knife tattoos. Bourdain once wrote of being enraptured by watching her eat a six-pound lobster on a date.

Over the course of two weeks in 2007,
Bourdain and OB were married, and he became a father. (Bourdain and OB's daughter is now 11).

Any mention of OB these days is likely to be focused on her passion for Brazilian jujitsu which she progressed to after starting kickboxing to get fit again after their daughter was born. OB is currently a mixed martial arts fighter.

“I like that you have your own life,” Bourdain added. “I respect that you found something you love that you want to excel at. That’s something I understand and very much admire. And I’m tickled by the notion that if we are in a bar and someone gets lippy with me, I’m pretty sure you could take them. That’s pleasing to me.”

Sept 19, 2016 - People reported the couple separated after 9 years--
Take note the announcement was from wife OB:

“Because of professional decisions we both have made, my husband and I have been for years in an unconventional relationship. Nothing has changed. We love each other. We respect the decisions the other has made. And we’ll always consider ourselves a family.”

At time of Bourdain's death, multiple sources report that the couple never legally divorced.

Last edited:
Anthony Bourdain's suicide wasn't 'selfish.' I know because I tried to kill myself too.

Pauline Campos
Yahoo Lifestyle
June 15, 2018

Said what V. Kilmer and especially Rose McGowan don't grasp.

"....I didn’t want to die, I just wanted to make the pain stop. I wanted to take a nice long nap that would magically fix everything while I slept. I rationalized my plan by comparing it to going to sleep for a long time. At that moment, it was only the end I was focused on, not the means, not the ramifications."....

Anthony Bourdain's suicide wasn't 'selfish.' I know because I tried to kill myself too.

Awe...10 minutes with somebody that actually new AB!

"All restaurants are run by pirates... and Tony was the Captain... we lost the Captain"... David McMillan.

David McMillan, owner of Joe Beef’s in Montreal, joins Jay and Dan to reflect upon his friendship with Anthony Bourdain, and the legacy he has left behind in Episode 39 of the Jay and Dan Podcast

Celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain cremated in France, remains returning to US

Award-winning celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain has been cremated in France and his remains are returning to the United States on Friday, according to news reports.

Bourdain, the host of CNN’s popular, Emmy-winning “Parts Unknown” for 11 seasons, was found dead in in Kaysersberg, France, a week ago. The medical examiner ruled his death a suicide after he was found unresponsive in his luxury hotel room by close friend and fellow chef Eric Ripert…

Celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain cremated in France, remains returning to US

Sunday night at 9:00 on CNN: Parts Unknown: Bhutan

Bourdain and film director Darren Aronofsky (Requiem for a Dream, Black Swan) tour the remote South Asian Kingdom of Bhutan and travel on the winding East/West highway known for its spectacular views of the Himalayan Mountains. The seasoned explorers share a meal with yak herders, visit the capitol city of Thimphu for traditional Bhutanese cuisine, drive to Punakha to explore the village of legendary divine monk Drupka Kinley, and visit Bumthang for a bamboo archery competition.

Anthony Bourdain had no illegal drugs in his system prior to death
Anthony Bourdain‘s sobriety was intact up until his death. The Parts Unknown host was open about past drug addiction, but the acclaimed chef didn’t take illegal substances prior to his death.

A French official tells the New York Times that Bourdain had no narcotics in his system when he committed suicide two weeks ago. The only substance found was a trace of a nonnarcotic medicine in a therapeutic dose, Christian de Rocquigny, the local prosecutor in charge of the investigation, reveals to the outlet. Police ruled the author and TV host’s death a suicide by hanging.

IMO he died of a broken Heart
Anthony Bourdain had no illegal drugs in his system prior to death

4D73E25300000578-5875217-image-a-101_1529700626642.jpg

AA instagram....... "Two weeks without you"...... (but two weeks ago she was more than 10 hours away, groovin on another - what a fraud)!!

Three days before Bourdain was found hanged in his French hotel room, where he'd been filming the latest episode of Parts Unknown, Argento had been photographed with journalist Hugo Clement in Rome. The pair were photographed hugging, holding hands and smiling as they strolled through the Italian capital.

Anthony Bourdain had NO narcotics in his system when he died | Daily Mail Online

Glady's Bourdain (AB's Mother) reports that the family plans to have a small memorial service. 'He would want as little fuss as possible,' she said.

I agree, he was heart broken and beyond humiliated.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back