Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall, Nsw, 12 Sept 2014 - #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr Spedding's lawyer said his client was of good character, had no criminal history and had been caught up in the William Tyrrell investigation.
"For a man who has no prior criminal record Mr Spedding had been caught up in a whirlwind of a criminal investigation," Mr Hoyles said.

A whirlwind of investigations.
I wonder if there are others investigations that we the public are unaware of.
I guess you cant have a criminal record unless you have been convicted of a crime.

Mr Spedding's lawyer Robert Hoyles told the courtroom his client would deny the charges "until his final breath" and that these were allegations that had been dealt with almost 30 years ago.

William Tyrrell person of interest Bill Spedding 'had links to paedophile ring', police allege

BBM: Likely the initial investigation into the NSW historical child sex charges .... "Bill did it" was what one child was quoted as saying following her savage abuse.
(As per this link: Bill Spedding, questioned over William Tyrrell disappearance, bailed over child sex offences)

Also, the grandchildren being removed from his home following a FACS investigation into his "treatment of children".
(As per this link: We’re for Sydney | Daily Telegraph)

And who knows if there ever has been any other investigation or hint of impropriety. He may even have a sealed youth offender conviction, from when he was a youth. We wouldn't be told that. No-one would.
As you say, we won't know unless there are convictions that are not suppressed, due to a child being involved.

Last edited:
BBM: Likely the initial investigation into the NSW historical child sex charges .... "Bill did it" was what one child was quoted as saying following her savage abuse.
(As per this link: Bill Spedding, questioned over William Tyrrell disappearance, bailed over child sex offences)

The grandchildren being removed from his home following a FACS investigation into his "treatment of children".

And who knows if there ever has been any other investigation or hint of impropriety. As you say, we won't know unless there are convictions that are not suppressed due to a child being involved.

“What he said did not add up because people he named did not remember seeing him,” a source alleged.

He is not known to police, has no criminal convictions and has by all accounts led a quiet life with his wife Margaret, looking after three of their grandchildren.

We’re for Sydney | Daily Telegraph

Lot of years before he was looking after the grandchildren.

The NSW Ombudsman is investigating how the children came to be living with Bill Spedding, despite authorities knowing he allegedly committed child abuse as far back as 1987.
Mother demands answers after Bill Spedding arrest

Also, the grandchildren being removed from his home following a FACS investigation into his "treatment of children".
(As per this link: We’re for Sydney | Daily Telegraph)

And who knows if there ever has been any other investigation or hint of impropriety. He may even have a sealed youth offender conviction, from when he was a youth. We wouldn't be told that. No-one would.
As you say, we won't know unless there are convictions that are not suppressed, due to a child being involved.
I have heard of at least one child sex abuse case going public after an adult child waived his right to privacy.

Usually when the convicted person's name is suppressed, it is because naming the offender would also identify the victim (often because they are related).

I have heard of at least one child sex abuse case going public after an adult child waived his right to privacy.

Usually when the convicted person's name is suppressed, it is because naming the offender would also identify the victim (often because they are related).

Yes, and if there are court cases where there was no conviction, I don't know if we would have heard of them either. Particularly with a child being involved.

I forget stuff too. But no, at the time of William's disappearance Spedding apparently had no criminal record. The Daily Mail said that he was a convicted pedophile, but as far as we know that was a scandalous mistake.
thanks. did a google search too. i see,. oops :)

Reactions: JLZ
Do you think we could have missed the court listing? Because I have been thinking that sometimes they list cases with an unnamed defendant, for whatever reason ... maybe high media profile, children involved, whatever. And that may have happened in this case. Particularly with Spedding being a POI in a high profile missing child case.
(And who knows what other adults may be involved in the same Vic charges, it could be something to do with them ... clergy, professionals, whatever.)

It’s possible, I suppose.

Click the link, Iailwa (https://www.caselaw.nsw.gov.au/decision/5b174043e4b087b8baa89a5d)
there's an ex tempore judgment to the effect that elements of a defamation claim are to go to trial.

hi JLZ - just came back to read the link - it didn't work for me. but i entered BS in the search bar & came up with something... legal speak. But it did say this -

'insinuation of sinister meaning by combination of photographs and juxtaposition of seemingly irrelevant fact with report of police investigation

BBM - photographs? Does anyone know which photos?

OK I read on further wrt to caselaw - i see. duh. #8. i'm still a little confused...

So - there may be convictions we don't know about, is that the gist of things?

Is it Ok to discuss this type of thing. No more questions I promise wrt to this. Thanks for sharing JLZ

hi JLZ - just came back to read the link - it didn't work for me. but i entered BS in the search bar & came up with something... legal speak. But it did say this -

'insinuation of sinister meaning by combination of photographs and juxtaposition of seemingly irrelevant fact with report of police investigation

BBM - photographs? Does anyone know which photos?
The link is supposed to be a copy of that originally posted by Sleepinoz in #969. It's still working from the original.

The judge talks about an article which is mainly photographs, including some of Spedding, and then the last photograph has him beside his van with the S missing. And the article reports a journalist asking him why he hadn't fixed the S, evidently to make sure that readers don't miss the point of the photograph.

OK I read on further wrt to caselaw - i see. duh. #8. i'm still a little confused...

So - there may be convictions we don't know about, is that the gist of things?

Is it Ok to discuss this type of thing. No more questions I promise wrt to this. Thanks for sharing JLZ
BBM No, it's unlikely there were any convictions prior to the bail hearing in 2015. We don't know the result of the NSW case, so it's possible he was convicted, but if so it's surprising that he's at sufficient liberty to be pursuing a defamation action.

BBM No, it's unlikely there were any convictions prior to the bail hearing in 2015. We don't know the result of the NSW case, so it's possible he was convicted, but if so it's surprising that he's at sufficient liberty to be pursuing a defamation action.

ok, i'm getting it - finally. thanks :)

i wonder, is there anything (aside from personality) stopping anyone, even if something was suppressed or not, from pursuing anything in a court of law? Besides lawyers refusing to take on a case? Just thinking out loud... (prob discussed but i have glassy eyes). No need to answer - unless someone wants to point out something to *ignorant me. Can legal aid refuse a case? I have no idea of this stuff...

I wonder what happpens if he was to win the defamation case and then is later convicted of Williams disappearence. If he was proved to actually be a paedophile ?

ok, i'm getting it - finally. thanks :)

i wonder, is there anything (aside from personality) stopping anyone, even if something was suppressed or not, from pursuing anything in a court of law? Besides lawyers refusing to take on a case? Just thinking out loud... (prob discussed but i have glassy eyes). No need to answer - unless someone wants to point out something to *ignorant me. Can legal aid refuse a case? I have no idea of this stuff...
As to Legal Aid, you have to apply for it, there are criteria to be met, so yes it would not be unusual for it to be refused. As to your broader question, I'm not sure how to answer, but as a general point, you don't get to waste court hearing time just because you feel like it. Everything starts with paperwork. I'd suggest that you give an example but I probably wouldn't know the answer anyway.

As to Legal Aid, you have to apply for it, there are criteria to be met, so yes it would not be unusual for it to be refused. As to your broader question, I'm not sure how to answer, but as a general point, you don't get to waste court hearing time just because you feel like it. Everything starts with paperwork. I'd suggest that you give an example but I probably wouldn't know the answer anyway.

No example. Ok, cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members