OH OH - Bertha Marie Tidd Newell, 40, Zanesville, 13 July 1948

I was curious as to the mention of scars around the crown of her head... this along with the talk of mental health issues made me think of a lobotomy. Not the Freeman method of an ice pick to the eye socket, but the prefrontal that leaves visible scarring. These were all the rage during the time period.
I was thinking the same thing especially since the hospital she stayed at was known to commonly practice lobotomies

The hospital Bertha may have stayed at is the Orient\Ohio State. Her daughter, Geveva, was an inpatient there when she died in 1956. She also had a son who was sent there in 1947 but I don't believe his stay was very long.

She was also reported missing in November of 1943 and in may of 1944 before her eventual disappearance in 1948. (she attached)

Attachments

• 201806231354233051.jpg
    201806231354233051.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 201806231814549391.jpg
    201806231814549391.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 34
There was an unknown, murdered lady found on Shaw Island (near West Pittsburgh, PA) on May 18, 1952. This is 156 miles from Zanesville.

She was white, 40-45 years old. I know of this case only because it was briefly mentioned in Jeffrey Jones' self-published book "The Butchered."

I wonder if she was ever compared to Newall? BTW, Dorothy Daugherty's email appears to be defunct.
Do you have a description of this woman, whete can i find her information.. is she on namus..my grandmother went missing in 1945 as well from ohio..

I went through this thread because I was thinking of this case. I did notice some things some other things. In the 1910 US Census, Bertha is listed as having been born in Ohio, not W.V. When you compare that record, and the one from Find A Grave, there are some very big similarities -such as birthplace and an exact match on the birthdate from the gravestone, and the SSDI, plus the obituary found for Bertha Haeft. Take a look.

The circumstantial evidence is pretty heavy on this case. Thanks to the previous poster who found some of the Haeft information.

Attachments

• 1910census2.PNG
    1910census2.PNG
    82 KB · Views: 39
  • grave.PNG
    grave.PNG
    156.5 KB · Views: 39
  • obit.PNG
    obit.PNG
    25.3 KB · Views: 31
I went through this thread because I was thinking of this case. I did notice some things some other things. In the 1910 US Census, Bertha is listed as having been born in Ohio, not W.V. When you compare that record, and the one from Find A Grave, there are some very big similarities -such as birthplace and an exact match on the birthdate from the gravestone, and the SSDI, plus the obituary found for Bertha Haeft. Take a look.

The circumstantial evidence is pretty heavy on this case. Thanks to the previous poster who found some of the Haeft information.
This makes it seem like she simply left, started a new life, and passes away.

She has living relatives so they can probably test her against the deceased

It seems the granddaughter was still looking as of 2003 and may have found a possibly other last name for Bertha - HAEFT.

Does anyone know the names of the sons of Bertha? I do not have ancestry access right now, so am having a hard time. There is an obit for Bertha Haeft here:
Toledo Blade - Google News Archive Search
that lists some sons names, but those could also be the names of her husband's children.

ETA: - I believe I found this Clarence and Bertha in the 1940 census, and therefor can't be her since she was missing in 1948! :/

Yes, I found Bertha and Clarence Haeft in the 1940 census, living in Ottawa, OH. They had 3 sons living with them. There's also a record for them in 1930, with 2 sons, one an infant.

As much as I'd like to hope Bertha was able to leave and start a new life, I don't think this is the same person.

Yes, I found Bertha and Clarence Haeft in the 1940 census, living in Ottawa, OH. They had 3 sons living with them. There's also a record for them in 1930, with 2 sons, one an infant.

As much as I'd like to hope Bertha was able to leave and start a new life, I don't think this is the same person.
Exactly. The surnames throw things off. There is heavy circumstantial evidence. I do believe that she did walk away, though.

I believe her granddaughter has ruled this out as a match. I know that she was looking into it but it lead to nothing.
I can’t find a single contact. Police should get involved again. It’s not far that Berthas case is not investigated anymore!

I do believe at the time of her disappearance it was not taken seriously due to her being reported missing before. She had been in trouble for holding the police at bay with a gun while her son escaped a few years before. There is quite a few articles in the paper about this.

She does resemble the Morgan County Jane doe and did have ties to West Virginia at that time. Its a thought....

I do believe at the time of her disappearance it was not taken seriously due to her being reported missing before. She had been in trouble for holding the police at bay with a gun while her son escaped a few years before. There is quite a few articles in the paper about this.

She does resemble the Morgan County Jane doe and did have ties to West Virginia at that time. Its a thought....
I don’t know if the MCJD can be tested against Bertha because I am unsure as to whether she has DNA or dentals Available

I agree that this is now pointing to the Bertha that is featured in these articles. As well, I think it can be determined that she simply walked away, due to untreated mental illness. The only way we can try and get a resolution is through loads of documents.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back