Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall, Nsw, 12 Sept 2014 - #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this article by Sydney Morning Herald in Jan 2015

William Harrie Spedding the focus of William Tyrell investigation

Now has this disclaimer at the top of the article
NOTE: The Australian Press Council found this article did not breach its Standards of Practice. Read the full adjudication here:

Adjudication 1651: Complainant/The Sydney Morning Herald (August 2015) - Australian Press Council

..... "After receiving a complaint, the Council asked the publication to comment on whether such prominent treatment focusing on a single “person of interest” had breached the Standards of Practice relating to privacy and fairness, as Mr Spedding had not been arrested or charged and police said at the time it was “not a major breakthrough”, “no person had been charged” and “a number of persons had been spoken to as part of this phase of the investigation”.

Interesting reading that a complaint had been made as far back as 2015

Yes, we learned back when this happened that it is all about publishing a 'balanced' article. It is not that the media cannot publish this stuff, it is just that they need to make sure the article is balanced.

Which is evidently one of the reasons that they employ staff lawyers, to assist when there is a question about anything they want to publish. It would seem that the staff lawyers have allowed the articles in the defamation case, so I imagine the defense will be quite strong.

I certainly hope that the defense ask the question "Why didn't you fix the missing 'S' or remove the rest of the letters?" Because, to me, that is a no-brainer. If you don't want to be libelled or have your reputation smeared by the vandalism ... fix it if you are going to drive around in the van, position your parked van so the lettering can't be seen until you do.

Last edited:
The fool should have removed the sign IMO. It might have been a hilarious pub laugh or a town giggle but it was his company van.

That right. He had visited friends or clients at Port Macquarie and was driving around the streets of Port, trying to escape the media - as I recall.
Was that the morning of the March 2015 search?

That right. He had visited friends or clients at Port Macquarie and was driving around the streets of Port, trying to escape the media - as I recall.
Was that the morning of the March 2015 search?

Quoting myself.
No that was not in March it was in April.
In April, about half a dozen media crews were waiting outside his home hours before his arrest on unrelated alleged child-sex offences. When Mr Spedding attempted to leave the property in his van, these reporters chased him through the streets of Port Macquarie before he retreated back to the house. The police arrived soon after.
Nocookies
Another William Tyrrell person of interest
Dan Box The Ausrtalian Sept 12 2015

Quoting myself.
No that was not in March it was in April.
In April, about half a dozen media crews were waiting outside his home hours before his arrest on unrelated alleged child-sex offences. When Mr Spedding attempted to leave the property in his van, these reporters chased him through the streets of Port Macquarie before he retreated back to the house. The police arrived soon after.
Nocookies
Another William Tyrrell person of interest
Dan Box The Ausrtalian Sept 12 2015

Looks like he had the 'W Spedding' van, as opposed to the 'peddo's hir' van, by 23rd April 2015.

We’re for Sydney | Daily Telegraph

I didn't realise until this case that some people pronounce paedophile as pedophile.

To me it rhymes with pea . On searching I see that this is the UK/Australian pronunciation while US pronunciation does rhyme with bed.
Also it does only have one D in it. I am thinking that WS probably didn't even think of how it might sound and look to some with the S faded away.

Why on earth would you shorten your surname for a professional business that has rhyming slang like that anyway? o_O

I didn't realise until this case that some people pronounce paedophile as pedophile.

To me it rhymes with pea . On searching I see that this is the UK/Australian pronunciation while US pronunciation does rhyme with bed.
Also it does only have one D in it. I am thinking that WS probably didn't even think of how it might sound and look to some with the S faded away.
Yes, I wonder do Americans pronounce paediatric with the first syllable as pea or as ed.

Yes, I wonder do Americans pronounce paediatric with the first syllable as pea or as ed.
Yes, I wonder do Americans pronounce paediatric with the first syllable as pea or as ed
According to Cambridge dictionary US first syllable paediatric pronounced as pea. Paedophile first syllable as ed.

I'm Aussie and have always pronounced it "ped". Back to school I go! :D

Looks like he had the 'W Spedding' van, as opposed to the 'peddo's hir' van, by 23rd April 2015.

An amendment to my above post .... seems I added the wrong link and date.

10 June 2015 article (could be an older pic though, with both the side writing and the front writing done in blue)
1b7931f472b10a7b0f4a836ad8d35032

William Tyrrell: Spiderman toy found

Another pic of the van, front writing gone. Side writing now in black. Date undetermined, but could be June 2015, due to the subject matter of the article.
"SPIDER-MAN TOY IN SPEDDING’S VAN"

a5907e6c3a2402e55a42c7e3b17cd847

Dailytelegraph.com.au | Subscribe to The Daily Telegraph for exclusive stories

So I wonder how long it took him to remove the word-view he didn't want anyone to publish?
That will surely come up in the defamation trial.

No it's back to school for me I think.
I even missed out on some slang growing up. I had no idea re ridgy-didge and others.
And the first time someone pinched and punched me I wondered what on earth they were doing as I didn't think they were into physical voilence :)
My younger sister said we always said pinch and punch when we were growing up but it must have been after she left home.

My mum was really into not using slang words and "proper" pronunciation.

I'm Aussie and have always pronounced it "ped". Back to school I go! :D

No it's back to school for me I think.
I even missed out on some slang growing up. I had no idea re ridgy-didge and others.
And the first time someone pinched and punched me I wondered what on earth they were doing as I didn't think they were into physical voilence :)
My younger sister said we always said pinch and punch when we were growing up but it must have been after she left home.

My mum was really into not using slang words and "proper" pronunciation.
I think that some of our slang was regional as it is in the UK.

An amendment to my above post .... seems I added the wrong link and date.

10 June 2015 article (could be an older pic though, with both the side writing and the front writing done in blue)
1b7931f472b10a7b0f4a836ad8d35032

William Tyrrell: Spiderman toy found

Another pic of the van, front writing gone. Side writing now in black. Date undetermined, but could be June 2015, due to the subject matter of the article.
"SPIDER-MAN TOY IN SPEDDING’S VAN"

a5907e6c3a2402e55a42c7e3b17cd847

Dailytelegraph.com.au | Subscribe to The Daily Telegraph for exclusive stories

So I wonder how long it took him to remove the word-view he didn't want anyone to publish?
That will surely come up in the defamation trial.

Sorry can't post the pic.
But the shot of the van within the article dated - 4 March 2015.
There is no side writing - either black or blue.
Just a blank space, other than the blue we repair anywhere, on the door. The front lettering minus the S.

William Tyrell: Police ‘body dog’ joins search for missing three-year-old | PerthNow

Last edited:
Sorry can't post the pic.
But the shot of the van within the article dated - 4 March 2015.
There is no side writing - either black or blue.
Just a blank space, other than the blue we repair anywhere, on the door. The front lettering minus the S.

William Tyrell: Police ‘body dog’ joins search for missing three-year-old | PerthNow

Oops - when you enlarge that pic within the article W Spedding is indeed on the side on the van. It is hidden (almost) by the partly opened drivers door.

Oops - when you enlarge that pic within the article W Spedding is indeed on the side on the van. It is hidden (almost) by the partly opened drivers door.

When I look at that pic and see the condition of the 'R' and last 'E', I wonder if anyone even removed the 'S', or if it peeled away by itself. Those last letters are not in very good condition. It is very possible that the 'S' at the other end was in poor condition, too.

So the media are supposed to bear the consequence of that? I think they will have some very good defences that will cause reasonable doubt throughout the jury.

When they asked Spedding when he was going to replace the 'S' ... they could have wondered why he allowed his van to look like that, when he'd been investigated for his treatment of children, had his grandchildren removed, and was a POI in a missing child case.
I know that I wonder. I wonder why he did not conceal that damaged van writing from everyone, he knew the media were constantly sniffing around him at that point in time.

When I look at that pic and see the condition of the 'R' and last 'E', I wonder if anyone even removed the 'S', or if it peeled away by itself. Those last letters are not in very good condition. It is very possible that the 'S' at the other end was in poor condition, too.

So the media are supposed to bear the consequence of that? I think they will have some very good defences that will cause reasonable doubt throughout the jury.

When they asked Spedding when he was going to replace the 'S' ... they could have wondered why he allowed his van to look like that, when he'd been investigated for his treatment of children, had his grandchildren removed, and was a POI in a missing child case.
I know that I wonder. I wonder why he did not conceal that damaged van writing from everyone, he knew the media were constantly sniffing around him at that point in time.
Because he was sniffing around for money. It wouldn't surprise me if he removed those letters himself. Playing the victim.

Because he was sniffing around for money. It wouldn't surprise me if he removed those letters himself. Playing the victim.

If I was on that jury I'd be wondering if he tried to set the media up. Since his complaint to the Press Council following the January article didn't go in his favour.
I'd want to know exactly when he started his defamation claim. Was it after the Press Council ruling in August?

I wonder how many articles they had to pour over to find something to take to court. Evidently the other article/s (in The Australian, I believe) that he submitted and are not going to a defamation trial did not make the grade, even though his lawyer must have thought they had a chance with it/them.

If I was on that jury I'd be wondering if he tried to set the media up. Since his complaint to the Press Council following the January article didn't go in his favour.
I'd want to know exactly when he started his defamation claim. Was it after the Press Council ruling in August?

I wonder how many articles they had to pour over to find something to take to court. Evidently the other article/s (in The Australian, I believe) that he submitted and are not going to a defamation trial did not make the grade, even though his lawyer must have thought they had a chance with it/them.

Setting them up....or an attempt to shut them down and put them on notice may be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa