GUILTY UK - Jordan Burling, 18, Died Weighing Less Than 6 Stone, Body Of Baby Also Found, Leeds, June 2016

Looking back over today's cross-examination it seems as if her mother Denise's barrister is doing more to defend her than her own barrister. Getting her to talk about her domineering father and how they were scared to go against Jordan's wishes. This case is unusual in that none of them are blaming each other, it's a twist on the standard defence advocacy of casting blame that I haven't seen before. Is he allowed to do it because her answers assist her mother's case I wonder.
I found it strange too, but I guess the thinking may be that they're both guilty or both innocent seeing as they both seemed to be caring for him. At least at some point prior to his death.

I think washing Jordan and changing his nappies has to be thought of as some form of care.

My mind keeps bringing me back to the stated reason for Jordan's (reported) refusal to see a doctor. Testimony was given that the last time he made the effort to see a physician, he (they) made it all the way to waiting room, only to be turned away.

This reminds me of what you might see from a petulant/stubborn child (or childish adult) who views every slight or "bump in the road" as a personal and deliberate attack, with a bit of a "I'll show you for turning me away" vibe to it. . . multiplied ten fold.

In my experience and opinion, nothing positive ever comes from the "I'll show you" strategy. IMO

I'm just copying over a few of the relevant law notes in relation to the appeal in the case of Crown vs Stone and Dobinson, (manslaughter conviction) because a/ it's difficult to read at the website with that green stripe across the page and b/ I think it's relevant to the same standards and judge's directions that will apply to this case.

The judge's direction that, if the appellants did not appreciate that their neglect " would lead to any dire results" they should be acquitted, cannot be criticised. The judge also gave a full and proper direction that the jury should consider the case by subjective standards.

The appellant Dobinson was worried and told Emily West that Fanny would not wash, go to the toilet or eat or drink. As a result Emily West immediately advised Dobinson to get a doctor and when told that Fanny's doctor lived at Doncaster, Emily West suggested getting a local one. It seems that some efforts were made to get a local doctor, but the neighbour who volunteered to do the telephoning (the appellants being incapable of managing the instrument themselves) was unsuccessful.

The appellant Stone was interviewed subsequently. He was asked, "Did Gwen tell you that Fanny was in a bad way? " He replied, "Yes, but Fanny was very stubborn and would not let anyone do for her.

"I remember Gwen and Mrs. Wilson going up to see her. They said she was in a baddish way. I said, 'We must do something.' I do not remember whether there was any attempt to get a doctor after that. I did not think she was dying.

This was not a situation analogous to the drowning stranger. They did make efforts to care. They tried to get a doctor; they tried to discover the previous doctor. The appellant Dobinson helped with the washing and the provision of food. All these matters were put before the jury in terms which we find it impossible to fault. The jury were entitled to find that the duty had been assumed. They were entitled to conclude that once Fanny became helplessly infirm, as she had by July 19, the appellants were, in the circumstances, obliged either to summon help or else to care for Fanny themselves.

This is how the matter was left to the jury:

"Have the Crown proved that either or both of these defendants was guilty of gross neglect of Fanny amounting to a reckless disregard for the health and well-being of that woman. Do not place your judgment on the question of recklessness as to whether she died or not. What has to be proved is not that, but that there was a reckless disregard for their duty of care. It may well be that that will involve a consideration of what they thought would be the consequences of their reckless disregard if you found there was one. For example, if I were in charge of a person and I was guilty of some major neglect, but I genuinely did not appreciate that it would lead to any dire results, you would probably say, 'That person is not very bright, but I am not sure he is guilty of recklessness!' "

Then, at a later stage in the direction:

"… were either or both of these defendants in grave neglect of that duty, were they reckless or did they show a reckless disregard for their obligations. Again it depends to a large extent on the extent of their knowledge of her condition; of their individual appreciation of the need to act. It depends to some extent on their appreciation of the consequences of the consequences of inaction; it depends on the facilities which were available or which they could readily have made available. Mr. Stone says 'nothing was done because I was not aware of the gravity of the matter of the danger to Fanny's life and of the situation. I did not know the actual conditions in which my sister was lying.' If that is true or if it may be true then you will acquit him. If you are sure that he did know then you ask yourselves: what did he do about it, and what could he have done ... You do not judge him, on what you would have done yourselves; but you take the man as you find him … So far as Mrs. Dobinson is concerned ... did she do her incompetent best? Certainly if she did that, then you would acquit her."

What the prosecution have to prove is a breach of that duty in such circumstances that the jury feel convinced that the defendant's conduct can properly be described as reckless, that is to say a reckless disregard of danger to the health and welfare of the infirm person. Mere inadvertence is not enough. The defendant must be proved to have been indifferent to an obvious risk of injury to health, or actually to have foreseen the risk but to have determined nevertheless to run it.

R v Stone & Dobinson

I'll tell you what does amaze me and that is as a mother I kind of expect to see some feeling of guilt even if she did think that what she was doing at the time was the right thing.

I think a lot of people or maybe it's just people I know, and me, are wired to blame themselves even for things that were outside of their control. She is certainly made of some tough stuff to say things like 'I listened to what he wanted' and 'I cared for him'. I can't imagine she has been coached on what to say, but maybe that is what defence lawyers do.

My mind keeps bringing me back to the stated reason for Jordan's (reported) refusal to see a doctor. Testimony was given that the last time he made the effort to see a physician, he (they) made it all the way to waiting room, only to be turned away.

This reminds me of what you might see from a petulant/stubborn child (or childish adult) who views every slight or "bump in the road" as a personal and deliberate attack, with a bit of a "I'll show you for turning me away" vibe to it. . . multiplied ten fold.

In my experience and opinion, nothing positive ever comes from the "I'll show you" strategy. IMO
I don't understand them being turned away. Was it insurance? Money? I've seen where Dawn works, but do we know what she actually does? She had enough mental capacity to hold down a job it seems.

I don't understand them being turned away. Was it insurance? Money? I've seen where Dawn works, but do we know what she actually does? She had enough mental capacity to hold down a job it seems.

SugarQueen already answered with the reason I recall, but just to add: in the UK healthcare is free with the NHS, so money is never an issue with basic doctor appointments (it can occasionally be with very advanced/expensive treatments, but the vast majority of treatment is either free or only costs a small standardised fee). If this was in another country, lack of money/insurance would actually be a good excuse for this family to use, but definitely not here!

I'll tell you what does amaze me and that is as a mother I kind of expect to see some feeling of guilt even if she did think that what she was doing at the time was the right thing.

I think a lot of people or maybe it's just people I know, and me, are wired to blame themselves even for things that were outside of their control. She is certainly made of some tough stuff to say things like 'I listened to what he wanted' and 'I cared for him'. I can't imagine she has been coached on what to say, but maybe that is what defence lawyers do.

The family do seem to be cold towards Jordan (his grandmother repeatedly calling him an idiot, for example), at the start I thought that pointed to their guilt, but I'm wondering now if it more down to mental difficulties? Dawn doesn't seem to be aware of things that are going on in her own life most of the time - you might hear the odd story of a woman not realising she was pregnant until she goes into labour, but for that to happen twice and say that they don't have regular periods so they didnt notice is ridiculous to most women. I don't have the most regular cycle, but if I went for nine months without one I think I'd notice.

Last edited:
The family do seem to be cold towards Jordan (his grandmother repeatedly calling him an idiot, for example), at the start I thought that pointed to their guilt, but I'm wondering now if it more down to mental difficulties? Dawn doesn't seem to be aware of things that are going on in her own life most of the time - you might hear the odd story of a woman not realising she was pregnant until she goes into labour, but for that to happen twice and say that they don't have regular periods so they didnt notice is ridiculous to most women. I don't have the most regular cycle, but if I went for nine months without one I think I'd notice.
I would have agreed with you at one time but I have heard it isn't such a rare occurrence as I would have thought it was. Even not feeling the baby moving. I suppose on balance when I ask myself if she is lying about that, I come down on the side of believing her because if I was her I wouldn't assume I would be believed.

10:53KEY EVENT
Day 12 - Photographs of Cranston's house shown in court
Dawn has returned to the witness box and her cross examination has resumed.
Mr Lumley, prosecuting, is showing her a series of photographs of Dawn Cranston’s house that were taken shortly after Jordan’s death.
The first few photos are of her cluttered kitchen, where boxes are piled on the floor and counter.
The barrister asked Dawn whether the kitchen usually looked like that.
She said it was very cluttered then because Abigail’s home had flooded and she ‘used to bring tonnes and tonnes of stuff’ over but never take it back.
He then went through photos of a number of other rooms, including the downstairs bathroom and the room where Abigail and her daughter slept on a bunkbed.
Each room appears to be very cluttered.
Live: Family on trial after dead teen and baby found in Leeds house

11:32
Dawn saw Jordan play football 'a few months before he died'
Mr Lumley has returned to asking questions about Jordan’s health and behaviour in the months leading up to his death.
He asked her when was the last time she saw him play football.
She said ‘A few months before he died.

“It wouldn’t be the day before (he died) like Abi said.”

The barrister asked whether she regularly asked Jordan if he was all right.
She said:

“Yeah, it’s just a figure of speech I would always ask him.”

11:40
Jordan was 'pale' and covered by bedsheet
Mr Lumley then asked her about both comments made by Deborah Robinson, a council employee, who visited the property in September 2015.
She said that she saw Jordan sitting in a chair ‘looking pale’ and covered by a bedsheet.
Dawn said she can’t remember that visit, so Mr Lumley asked her if Jordan was poorly then.
“He might have been,” she said.

11:43
Mother questioned about text messages
The barrister moved onto ask about a text message Jordan’s father sent her in the same month.
In it, he asked whether Jordan was OK.
“Did anything trigger that message?” asked Mr Lumley.
“No he used to just ask in general. It was just a normal inquiry,” she said.
Mr Lumley then asked about a text message she sent which referred to Jordan as ‘a little poorly’.
He asked her whether that was the truth.
“He might have been at the time,” she said.

12:01
Jordan's weight 'looked normal'
Dawn was then asked about Jordan’s weight in September 2015 and whether he appeared to be losing any.
“No. He just looked normal,” said Dawn.
Mr Lumley asked her whether Jordan gained any weight at all after October 2015.
She said:

“It was on and off. He always fluctuated during his teenage years.”

She also told the court that Jordan was still eating at that point.

10:53KEY EVENT
Day 12 - Photographs of Cranston's house shown in court
Dawn has returned to the witness box and her cross examination has resumed.
Mr Lumley, prosecuting, is showing her a series of photographs of Dawn Cranston’s house that were taken shortly after Jordan’s death.
The first few photos are of her cluttered kitchen, where boxes are piled on the floor and counter.
The barrister asked Dawn whether the kitchen usually looked like that.
She said it was very cluttered then because Abigail’s home had flooded and she ‘used to bring tonnes and tonnes of stuff’ over but never take it back.
He then went through photos of a number of other rooms, including the downstairs bathroom and the room where Abigail and her daughter slept on a bunkbed.
Each room appears to be very cluttered.

So from that I'm assuming Abigail had her own house but stayed over often? I don't think she should have been charged IMO....

Just recapping a bit of the earlier evidence re. where Abigail may have been living. We don't have a date for when the outreach worker asked if she'd been staying at Dawn's.

###not from today###

11:31
Abigail said Jordan was moody and unwell
Sharon said she asked if Abigail had been staying at her mum’s because ‘Dawn’s house was deemed unsuitable’.

“Abigail said she’s not been going to her mum’s house because her brother was there and that he was moody, unwell and had a poorly leg.

“I said to Abigail that her brother would need to go to a GP but her mum was going to organise it.

“She said her brother was quite lazy and didn’t like going to the Doctors.

“Abigail said: ‘Jordan’s sore on his leg isn’t that bad. He’s ok.’

I would have thought Abigail would have been a priority for rehousing if her home was flood damaged. The floods were November & December 2015, so about 6 months before Jordan's death.

_86713991_img_6289.jpg

Leeds pub garden floods, men go for pint anyway

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288