Found Deceased Va - Denise Martin, 22, Virginia Beach, 19 June 2018

I think of her every time I'm there. When I was moving my daughter out of the dorm freshman year (she lived two floors below AJ) I was on the elevator with AJ's roommate. Felt like a creeper knowing who she was, but, nope, just a websleuther.
Oddly, it wasn't the location which triggered my memory of her. It was the being home from school...

Any news?
Not much that I can find--I'm hoping the "local area" posters will drop by. :)

I found this brief MSM article--nothing new in it, though. That bothers me because I don't understand why law enforcement hasn't held at least one press conference or something. I'd settle for anything.

Notice the article doesn't mention the neighbor's statement of the 8:22 am sighting, or give a description of her clothing that she was supposedly last seen wearing, or a mention of her carrying a brown purse.

Maybe that information all came from a surveillance video that her searching friends discovered and were able to view? (That would be unusual). Where is LE?

But here is the "nothing" link. It's dated today, so at least we know the media hasn't totally forgotten her:
VBSunOnline | Local News | Virginia Beach

Regarding the neighbor who may have seen Denise at 8:22 am:
Snipped quote: However, Martin’s best friend, Miriam Loya, said police have confirmed that a neighbor saw Martin sitting by the front yard at 8:22 a.m.
https://southsidedaily.com/local-ne...ontinues-for-missing-22-year-old-local-woman/

The following is a screen shot from Google Maps. It would depend where the neighbor means when she says "sitting by the front yard", but my guess would be she was waiting for someone to pick her up. Otherwise, I think it would be a strange place to sit.

The blue line you see is a "walking route" I did from Denise's home to the corner of Doolittle Avenue and Mt. Pleasant Road. If I have the correct streets and everything, Google Maps suggests it could take up to 3 hours and 11 minutes to get there. (If on foot).

And if she were to continue walking from there to Northwest River Park, that would take her a total of 6 hours and 54 minutes (from her home to the park, but first passing the corner of Doolittle Avenue and Mt. Pleasant Road, near the Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church).

I think someone must have came to pick her up, but why haven't they come forward? And why wouldn't Denise take her cell phone, keys, wallet and id with her in the brown purse?

I find things aren't really making sense.

2yueqmx.jpg

Following the movement on Twitter, the searching friends continuously state they are following up on big leads and information but never go into detail. Police still consider her to not be in danger. I would be interested to know what kind of information they’re getting that we could use to try to help out. I sure wish one of them would drop by here.

Any news?
Nothing really new. The friends are continuing to search, night and day. It's possible they're not getting cell service in the woods and that could explain why they've become more quiet. I've seen some say they think she's lost and confused. They seemed so optimistic after their search Friday, I was really hoping they were going to find her today.

It's possible they're not getting cell service in the woods and that could explain why they've become more quiet.

We're not really a rural area, so the areas being searched are covered by cell towers.

Other things;
Red Mill is generally considered to be a more upper middle class neighborhood. It's not really out in the sticks.
Walking down Indian River (through Pungo) to Elbow Rd to Centerville (which turns into S. Battlefield) to get to Northwest River isn't a walker friendly route at all. Elbow Road barely has room to walk on the side of the road (which also contributes to the ghost stories). (To validate the other path if walked, which that one is rough too with no footpaths.)
Tuesday had a heat index of 107 here as well, for general information of those trying to reason out walking that far.

Last edited:
We're not really a rural area, so the areas being searched are covered by cell towers.

Other things;
Red Mill is generally considered to be a more upper middle class neighborhood. It's not really out in the sticks.
Walking down Indian River (through Pungo) to Elbow Rd to Centerville (which turns into S. Battlefield) to get to Northwest River isn't a walker friendly route at all. Elbow Road barely has room to walk on the side of the road (which also contributes to the ghost stories).
Tuesday had a heat index of 107 here as well, for general information of those trying to reason out walking that far.

Thank you, evilrobert, and welcome to websleuths!

I found this brief MSM article--nothing new in it, though. (Snipped)
VBSunOnline | Local News | Virginia Beach

I've never even heard of this site. Local mainstream paper is The Virginian Pilot, with WVEC, WAVY, and WTKR as the three network broadcast stations. There's a Southside Daily I think that's a super small community type deal, but is largely recirculating existing stories outside of the community stuff .

Most recent local story is 21 June. Family and friends continue search for missing 22-year-old Virginia Beach woman

Last edited:
Her friends were very vocal on SM early on, but they’ve been increasingly quiet. This concerns me.
And your concern is warranted. From Tuesday morning, June 19, until today has to qualify as an extended period of time.

Snipped quote: They said she never disappears for an extended period of time.
Family and friends continue search for missing 22-year-old Virginia Beach woman

Nothing really new. The friends are continuing to search, night and day. It's possible they're not getting cell service in the woods and that could explain why they've become more quiet. I've seen some say they think she's lost and confused. They seemed so optimistic after their search Friday, I was really hoping they were going to find her today.
BBM-I wonder what information they have that would justify this thinking?

One thing I'm beginning to consider is that this all started as a "lark"--perhaps it was agreed upon that she would hide to have her friends search for her so they could film everything and make a small "production" of their own.

Things like that can go terribly wrong. Or, if she hid so well that they can't find her, maybe they don't know how to contact her to say this is not fun anymore.

The lack of concern from everyone but her group of friends really surprises me. Unless law enforcement is doing more than is being reported--shocks me. That her father--the last person to see Denise (except maybe for a neighbor)--is going around reviewing surveillance video, seemingly on his own, is beyond belief.

This young woman could be in real danger. I applaud the effort by her group of friends; but if this is not a game gone wrong, they are out of their league. And even if it is a game gone wrong--if they really do not know her whereabouts--they need to spill the whole story to LE.

If no-one has truly seen or spoken to this young woman since the morning of the 19th, there is no responsible way that foul play can be ruled out. It's wishful thinking and not based in reality.

I just pulled up the address on the sex offender registry site. There are several that live around the address. One as close as .12 miles away.
https://www.familywatchdog.us/ShowList.asp#
It would be interesting to know if she would put some money in a pocket and not have to carry anything, or if she was a person who would carry a wallet/bag/purse regularly.
Pay close attention to the color coding of the offender's location. (directory is at the bottom of the page). It shows if it's a crime against a child versus rape or sexual battery. Where I live, there are several sex offenders within a few miles but without exception all where pedophiles so I don't worry with no children in the house.

I'm starting to believe there's either foul play involved, or that her vanishing is due to an undiagnosed psychological condition triggered by something to do with being home again.
By the way those that know her have been acting on SM, I think a psychological illness would make the most sense. If this is true it would be a little relieving, as long as she doesn’t put herself in harms way.

I'm starting to believe there's either foul play involved, or that her vanishing is due to an undiagnosed psychological condition triggered by something to do with being home again.
I found the following an unusual statement and it made me think of your comment:

Video from 13News Now:

Miriam: Someone was in contact with her most of the time every handful of hours.

Virginia Beach local here. A couple of quick inputs...
The area she went missing (Red Mill) is a nice suburban area like others have mentioned.
The possibility she was taken from in front of her house seems believable. There was an attempted kidnapping last week in Yorktown (~1 hour away). Young girl went to check the mail (mailbox in front yard) when a man drove up, jumped out of his car and grabbed her by her hair. Thankfully she got away.

Virginia Beach local here. A couple of quick inputs...
The area she went missing (Red Mill) is a nice suburban area like others have mentioned.
The possibility she was taken from in front of her house seems believable. There was an attempted kidnapping last week in Yorktown (~1 hour away). Young girl went to check the mail (mailbox in front yard) when a man drove up, jumped out of his car and grabbed her by her hair. Thankfully she got away.

That is terrifying!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back