CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose it would have been mentioned in the report/article, if Dad brought a gun to the campsite, so this is a far-fetched but not entirely impossible scenario:

What if the gun belonged to "Dad" and one of the kids somehow got possession of it? Or a similar scenario played out in a nearby campsite: there was an accidental discharge and the adult(s) are covering it up?

OMG I didn't even think of that but you're right. This could have happened. I hope not.

This is just so painful to read. I do not see how this could’ve been an accident. How heartless can someone be? Those poor children. I pray whoever did this is caught. What a terrible tragedy...

ETA: I actually hope this wasn't an accident. For the kids sake that would probably be much much worse! Ugh... Don't know what to think.

I don't think it was an accident either, and if he brought a gun and one of his daughters accidentally shot him LE would figure that out fairly quickly. Plus his wife would probably know if he owned a gun.

I don't think it was an accident either, and if he brought a gun and one of his daughters accidentally shot him LE would figure that out fairly quickly. Plus his wife would probably know if he owned a gun.

I tend to agree.

Also, if he was lying down (which we don't know), it seems odds are against a stray bullet getting him in the chest. IF he was laying down, I kind of think someone came into the tent and aimed. If he was up and about, maybe a stray more feasible.

The only accident I could see happening is if one of the daughters got ahold of his own gun. I PRAY this is not the case here. That could be so damaging to these kids. I could understand LE keeping things close to the vest either way here. Either he was murdered in cold blood in front of his children, or a horrible accident happened. I can’t see them announcing this to the public if that were the case. The only reason would be to let people know there is no risk to the public. If this was a hit of some kind I hope they’re on top of it and I think the public will know more soon.

The only accident I could see happening is if one of the daughters got ahold of his own gun. I PRAY this is not the case here. That could be so damaging to these kids. I could understand LE keeping things close to the vest either way here. Either he was murdered in cold blood in front of his children, or a horrible accident happened. I can’t see them announcing this to the public if that were the case. The only reason would be to let people know there is no risk to the public. If this was a hit of some kind I hope they’re on top of it and I think the public will know more soon.

BBM. Yeah, absolute silence on that......

I tend to agree.

Also, if he was lying down (which we don't know), it seems odds are against a stray bullet getting him in the chest. IF he was laying down, I kind of think someone came into the tent and aimed. If he was up and about, maybe a stray more feasible.

If he was up and about could another camper have thought he was an intruder?

If he was up and about could another camper have thought he was an intruder?

Maybe, but that would be really weird. I don't think a camper would just randomly shoot someone who was up early in the morning. I've been on a lot of fishing, camping, and hunting trips and people usually get up early to get ready, pack up, cook breakfast, watch the sunrise, etc.

They are making it sound like he was shot in the tent. It’s possible LE doesn’t want to release too many details yet since it’s an active investigation. I will say after doing a little investigating on my own IMO it’s looking like it wasn’t an accident. I think many of you would come to that conclusion as well.

Previous shootings reported at Calabasas park where father killed

"As authorities investigate the killing of a father in front of his daughters at a Calabasas campground, new information is coming out about other seemingly random shootings in the same area."

"Meliss Tatangelo was camping with her boyfriend in January 2017 at the park when she hear a loud noise in the middle of the night. She discovered a bullet hole in the back of her car. She reported the shooting to authorities, who examined the bullet hole and retrieved the bullet.

There are reports of other shootings at the park, including a man being shot there in 2016. Another man says his car was hit by a gunshot around 4:30 a.m. Monday.

Investigators say they are aware of the other shooting reports, but say at this time there is no evidence to connect them."

"As authorities investigate the killing of a father in front of his daughters at a Calabasas campground, new information is coming out about other seemingly random shootings in the same area."

"Meliss Tatangelo was camping with her boyfriend in January 2017 at the park when she hear a loud noise in the middle of the night. She discovered a bullet hole in the back of her car. She reported the shooting to authorities, who examined the bullet hole and retrieved the bullet.

There are reports of other shootings at the park, including a man being shot there in 2016. Another man says his car was hit by a gunshot around 4:30 a.m. Monday.

Investigators say they are aware of the other shooting reports, but say at this time there is no evidence to connect them."

Hmmm.

I wonder if the bullets will match?

Kind of bizarre to have three unrelated shootings at the same location. Two of which are basically the same time of morning .
I agree. Even if the bullets don’t match they could still be related. Scary that it’s no longer safe to go camping with your kids anymore. Awful.

I suppose it would have been mentioned in the report/article, if Dad brought a gun to the campsite, so this is a far-fetched but not entirely impossible scenario:

What if the gun belonged to "Dad" and one of the kids somehow got possession of it? Or a similar scenario played out in a nearby campsite: there was an accidental discharge and the adult(s) are covering it up?

And, I was thinking that the phrase "shots fired" doesn't necessarily mean more than one shot was actually heard/reported. I think that using the plural is more of a "catch all" phrase that dispatchers use in this kind of situation. IME and IMO.

I agree that "shots fired" can be just one shot. It's a standard phrase and may have just been referred to by a code.

Your theory is plausible and simple. Here is what occurs to me that might not fit:
1) This guy was pretty intelligent. If he were paranoid enough to be armed with a loaded handgun, he likely was also aware that he should not leave a loaded weapon just laying there where children would have access to it. The idea would be that he was concerned about his children's safety and he would know to keep the safety on, or have a gun that only works with your fingerprint, and also have it tucked away so that only he had access to it.
2) if something like this did happen, is it likely that the 2 year old pulled the trigger? I'm not sure if that would be possible. More likely the 4 year old would have the strength. And also pretty good aim in the dark, unless they had a light on.
3) But then to LE this would all be quite obvious. The gun would be sitting there, the bullets matched, the ownership immediately traced.
I don't see the point of making this story public if it were that obvious.

IF it wasn't an accident and he didn't own a gun... this case surely does seem strange. Everyone camping there is documented. Very unlkely that some random person walked through there and did it. So, if it was a fellow camper shouldn't take long to reduce it to a suspect. If someone targeted him specifically as a hit, that would be another matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46