Dna Case List

morf13

Ver. Insider Golden State Killer & Zodiac Killer
Reaction score
Hey all, I wanted to see if we could create a list here of unsolved or cold cases that we know have DNA in them. These cases have the real possibility of being solved using GEDMATCH & Forensic genealogy. We have seen several crimes solved in the last few months, the biggest being the Golden State Killer. We have also seen it lead to the true identities of Lyle Stevic & Joseph Newton Chandler being learned. I think this technology can also be used to ID unidentified Jane & John Does.

I wanted to see if we can make a running list here of cases with DNA evidence, so we know which ones we can look forward to being possibly solved.

I'm friendly with Paul Holes who solved the Golden State Killer case using DNA & forensic genealogy. If we could make a clearinghouse of DNA cases, we could present these to Paul for suggestions & ideas

I'll list a few:

The 2017 Delphi murders of Liberty German & Abigail Williams

The 1987 Penn State murder of Dana Bailey

The 1988 murder of April Marie Tinsley

Lori Pinkus, 21, Toronto, 8 September 1991

FL - Tammy Alexander, 16, Brooksville, 8 Nov 1979

TX - Cheryl Henry, 22, & Andy Atkinson, 21, Houston, 21 Aug 1990

Canada - Gracelyn Greenidge, 41, Toronto, 28 July 1997

FL - Nancy Bochicchio, 47, & Joey Bochicchio-Hauser, 7, Boca Raton, 12 Dec 2007

VA - David Metzler, 19, & Heidi Childs, 18, Montgomery County, 26 Aug 2009

CA- 1996 Debbie Dorian murder in Fresno

Last edited:
Hey all, I wanted to see if we could create a list here of unsolved or cold cases that we know have DNA in them. These cases have the real possibility of being solved using GEDMATCH & Forensic genealogy. We have seen several crimes solved in the last few months, the biggest being the Golden State Killer. We have also seen it lead to the true identities of Lyle Stevic & Joseph Newton Chandler being learned. I think this technology can also be used to ID unidentified Jane & John Does.

I wanted to see if we can make a running list here of cases with DNA evidence, so we know which ones we can look forward to being possibly solved.

I'm friendly with Paul Holes who solved the Golden State Killer case using DNA & forensic genealogy. If we could make a clearinghouse of DNA cases, we could present these to Paul for suggestions & ideas

I'll list a few:

The 2017 Delphi murders of Liberty German & Abigail Williams

The 1987 Penn State murder of Dana Bailey

The 1988 murder of April Marie Tinsley

Lori Pinkus, 21, Toronto, 8 September 1991

Christy Mirack, 1992 Lancaster County, PA (SOLVED 6/25/18)

FL - Tammy Alexander, 16, Brooksville, 8 Nov 1979

TX - Cheryl Henry, 22, & Andy Atkinson, 21, Houston, 21 Aug 1990

Canada - Gracelyn Greenidge, 41, Toronto, 28 July 1997

FL - Nancy Bochicchio, 47, & Joey Bochicchio-Hauser, 7, Boca Raton, 12 Dec 2007

VA - David Metzler, 19, & Heidi Childs, 18, Montgomery County, 26 Aug 2009

CA- 1996 Debbie Dorian murder in Fresno

Surprised that nobody has any interest in this thread with all of the crimes we are seeing solved with DNA just in the last month alone

Great idea, but in some cases LE plays it so close to the vest they don't make it public knowledge if the killers DNA is available or not.

I'd like to see if the Tylenol murders and the Lane Bryant murders solved, but who knows if DNA is available for either.

Great idea, but in some cases LE plays it so close to the vest they don't make it public knowledge if the killers DNA is available or not.

I'd like to see if the Tylenol murders and the Lane Bryant murders solved, but who knows if DNA is available for either.

Agreed, but we can certainly list the crimes we know have DNA

Great idea! Here are a few I can think of. Not sure if there is DNA available in these, but I chose the cases where it was alleged some time of blood evidence was collected at the crime scene:

Valerie Percy - Murdered in 1966 in Kenilworth, IL during her father's senate campaign

The 1966 cold case of Valerie Percy

Another case not officially cold, but nearly there is the Rhoden Family Murders in Pike County, OH
Some relatives have admitted they submitted DNA samples to LE, so it's possible some DNA evidence was left by the killers. The case is now past the two year mark with no suspects, no motive revealed by LE. Recently, a first cousin of the family who lived nearby died under suspicious circumstances.

Great idea! Here are a few I can think of. Not sure if there is DNA available in these, but I chose the cases where it was alleged some time of blood evidence was collected at the crime scene:

Valerie Percy - Murdered in 1966 in Kenilworth, IL during her father's senate campaign

The 1966 cold case of Valerie Percy

Another case not officially cold, but nearly there is the Rhoden Family Murders in Pike County, OH
Some relatives have admitted they submitted DNA samples to LE, so it's possible some DNA evidence was left by the killers. The case is now past the two year mark with no suspects, no motive revealed by LE. Recently, a first cousin of the family who lived nearby died under suspicious circumstances.
I read about the cousin dying. That's troubling. That Percy case is old, but if there's usable DNA that's great

Yogurt shop murders, Austin TX 1991

DNA left on victims, that helped clear two guys convicted on 'confessions'. But I guess LE have not been able to find matches with anyone on database records. Some ten years have passed since then.

Really hope those cold case detectives are working hard now, to copy Paul Hole's method. A window of opportunity perhaps before laws are tightened.

DNA left on victims, that helped clear two guys convicted on 'confessions'. But I guess LE have not been able to find matches with anyone on database records. Some ten years have passed since then.

Really hope those cold case detectives are working hard now, to copy Paul Hole's method. A window of opportunity perhaps before laws are tightened.

This would be a great one to be solved!

I'm local to that case and I don't think it will ever be solved. The police on that one messed it up pretty badly. I think even if they find someone, it will always have reasonable doubt. Which is awful for the families and current LE who want to solve it.

I'm local to that case and I don't think it will ever be solved. The police on that one messed it up pretty badly. I think even if they find someone, it will always have reasonable doubt. Which is awful for the families and current LE who want to solve it.
Do you mean, even a DNA match isn't going to nail the perps?

Idk if the killers DNA is available in the St. Louis case. The victims DNA is available. She was sealy abused, so it is possible the killers DNA is on file.....

Do you mean, even a DNA match isn't going to nail the perps?
I'm not privy to the case file, but it's entirely possible that is the case. Also the Austin DNA lab is a joke. It was shut down for not following rules or being in compliance and is causing a backlog of cases. If that lab did the DNA, I expect it to be challenged

Here's a list of some of the cases here that have been SOLVED with DNA:

AZ - Allison Feldman (2-1-2015) - Ian Mitcham - DNA match w/familial match to CODIS
AZ - Allison Feldman, 31, Scottsdale, 18 Feb 2015 #4 *Arrest*

PA - Christy Mirack (12-21-1992) - Raymond Rowe aka DJ Freez - GED/Match
Pa - Christy Ann Mirack, 25, E. Lampeter Twp, 21 Dec 1992

IN - April Tinsley (4-1-1988) - John D. Miller - Parabon Nanolabs
IN - IN - April Tinsley, 8, Fort Wayne 1 April 1988 *Arrest*

WA - Michella Welch (3-26-1986) - Gary C. Hartman - GED/Match
Wa - Michella Welch, 12, Tacoma, 26 March 1986 *arrest*

WA - Jennifer Bastian (8-4-1986) - Robert D. Washburn - Parabon Nanolabs
WA - Jennifer Bastian, 13, Tacoma, 4 Aug 1986 *ARREST*

CA - East Bay Rapist/Golden State Killer -13 murders solved - GED/Match
CA - CA - ARREST in East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer Case #4

WA - Jay Cook & Tanya Van Cuylenborg (11-19-1987) - William Talbott - GED/Match