Welcome To Websleuths # 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just having a silly breakdown none below is snarky at anyone

my brain gets like this from time to time

have a chuckle!

This is how my screens look on the iPhone since yesterday. I think there‘s something wrong with the Google ads placement.
View attachment 136260

that would drive me insane just having to look at those pants would be problematic!!!

Yes, mine too, it looks as if a wall of goods is about to crash down on one's head.

at least there soft ugly pants can you imagine if was an ad for bricks at lowes!!

I personally feel the smileys and graphics used feel like 1990s AOL. I've seen this sentiment shared elsewhere many times as well.

BBM. What do you mean by the bolded statement - texting language? Meaning like "c u l8r" instead of "see you later"? I don't even talk in "texting language" when I'm texting. No one I know does that besides my mom lol.

edited for clarity.

I looked at that word for 20 seconds did not even come close Glad no one was trying to tell me I won the lottery and to call this number

Have tried turning my phone sideways, zooming and clicking.

Have tried turning my phone sideways, zooming and clicking

attn all up to date people >

all of us old ones on PCS don't have any turning left right up down vert horizontal lower higher above below

we stare straight ahead and all is fine !!!!!!!!!

I’m testing my emojis. Only 3 out of 20 transferred correctly.

That is a D minus I am afraid !!

AFAIK got this one! A plus

BBL GGP failure F minus !

now it thinks I have some random disease that I keep getting more ads for that is just funny glad it did not think you had confessed to something!

(Fecking dating ad just jumped up the screen while I am typing this asking me if I am male or female)

say neither that ought to shut em up!!

and was then thrown off the site!!! dont personalize it !!

Yall's got that one A plus

Yes. The one above the comment box is gone but I still see the one at the top of the page.-- turn the thing upside down and it will be on the botton

I can barely type and my phone is burning hot

that is what I call one hot post!!

Mine was gone for about 24 hours and suddenly reappeared last night

those of us with PC's dont have ghosts running around while we are resting

Testing sig with the uploaded WS rose

IMO I think this is much better than this is a test of the emergency system in this day and age!!

emoji, maybe an emoticon failure and an another F minus

I see the rose sig - nice- in phone sideways mode. do a lot of folks get dizzy with all this flipping the phone all over the place

bears can you see this? this is not an optometrist office

not as big as the green big grin guy. that is because he has a hearty
laugh!

One way to shut me up. Noone in my life has ever found a way to do that in any context except when i got things on my vocal cords - happened a lot when I was younger polyps Mine is not an iphone but a Samsung . I choose settings then find mobile data which shows it in a graph format. I have 15Gb limit and used 26Gb

mine has the"user has no idea what anyone is talking about with all this GB stuff and user is happy about that !!

It is the size of a flea on my phone. Still having problems posting - very slow. Petsmart opens at 10!

Mine is not an iphone but a Samsung . I choose settings then find mobile data which shows it in a graph format. I have 15Gb limit and used 26Gb

lunesta up to speed goodnight all hope silly post did not offend anyone

sometimes my own brain just cracks me up !

Last edited:
I am just having a silly breakdown none below is snarky at anyone

my brain gets like this from time to time

have a chuckle!

that would drive me insane just having to look at those pants would be problematic!!!

at least there soft ugly pants can you imagine if was an ad for bricks at lowes!!

I looked at that word for 20 seconds did not even come close Glad no one was trying to tell me I won the lottery and to call this number

Have tried turning my phone sideways, zooming and clicking.

Have tried turning my phone sideways, zooming and clicking

attn all up to date people >

all of us old ones on PCS don't have any turning left right up down vert horizontal lower higher above below

we stare straight ahead and all is fine !!!!!!!!!

I’m testing my emojis. Only 3 out of 20 transferred correctly.

That is a D minus I am afraid !!

AFAIK got this one! A plus

BBL GGP failure F minus !

now it thinks I have some random disease that I keep getting more ads for that is just funny glad it did not think you had confessed to something!

(Fecking dating ad just jumped up the screen while I am typing this asking me if I am male or female)

say neither that ought to shut em up!!

and was then thrown off the site!!! dont personalize it !!

Yall's got that one A plus

Yes. The one above the comment box is gone but I still see the one at the top of the page.-- turn the thing upside down and it will be on the botton

I can barely type and my phone is burning hot

that is what I call one hot post!!

Mine was gone for about 24 hours and suddenly reappeared last night

those of us with PC's dont have ghosts running around while we are resting

Testing sig with the uploaded WS rose

IMO I think this is much better than this is a test of the emergency system in this day and age!!

emoji, maybe an emoticon failure and an another F minus

I see the rose sig - nice- in phone sideways mode. do a lot of folks get dizzy with all this flipping the phone all over the place

bears can you see this? this is not an optometrist office

not as big as the green big grin guy. that is because he has a hearty
laugh!

One way to shut me up. Noone in my life has ever found a way to do that in any context except when i got things on my vocal cords - happened a lot when I was younger polyps

It is the size of a flea on my phone. Still having problems posting - very slow. Petsmart opens at 10!

HILARIOUS ☄️

Hmm..IDK then. That's how I got mine to come out clearer and small enough. But I was using Paint, not Photoshop. You might have to try other lower quality formats like gif or bmp
I just figured out the jpeg thing after the site change by Googling, lol.

I tell you, if you ever find my name in one of the “Missing Persons“ threads and it says ”She was last seen at Kennedy Space Center Launch Complex 39“, it‘s because I couldn‘t escape these Jackson Pollock pants!

It’s apparent that some of these problems can be sorted by adjusting your own phone settings. Since I managed to stop the video ads from playing ( still not sure how!) my data usage has gone back to normal amounts.
The pop up ads at the top/bottom aren’t affecting me using the site. I just find them strange.
It appears this morning they have realised I’m female and are now advertising ‘ make up for older ladies’ I don’t know how to do emoticons but I’d like to put a laughing face there!

I asked a question, I believe #668 or so about a thread that says I am not authorized. I got no answer but instead answers about ads. Am I in the wrong place?

check and see if it says pulled thread if it was the LE thread that thread was pulled and that is the answer for a click on a pulled thread

Last edited:
Hey Everyone,

We have not forgotten you. I am on the road but tomorrow (Friday) I will get with Dave and see if these issues can be fixed or adjusted.
Thank you very much for your patience.

Tricia

@Tricia
I am still having issues with the font and vision trouble. Is there a way to allow a setting to be changed by each member so we can set our "default" font to our own choice? I'd like to have this reply box come up automatically using a larger size font instead of having to find the tiny icon for size-settings, but see nowhere to do that. (Always on an ipad here)

Thank you.

@Tricia
I am still having issues with the font and vision trouble. Is there a way to allow a setting to be changed by each member so we can set our "default" font to our own choice? I'd like to have this reply box come up automatically using a larger size font instead of having to find the tiny icon for size-settings, but see nowhere to do that. (Always on an ipad here)

Thank you.

Looks like you did that :)

Or did I misunderstand?

ETA; Nevermind. I think you meant for the whole site? And screen resolution didn't help?

Okay, help me out, here, peeps - my copy-and-paste Issues List is more or less up to date as of yesterday in terms of issues raised, BUT some of these may have been corrected somewhere down the line. Which (if any)?

Also, I selected for inclusion only issues which affect all posters, and thus didn't record the frequently raised Tapa Talk item (although it is very real).

Feel free to use the list in any constructive way. Abridge it to meet your needs. I am reassured that if the issues raised are correctable, they will be corrected.

The feature to track your "place" on the various threads is so inconsistent.

Nothing now can be deleted entirely.

If I add someone to my ignore list they still remain in my "followers" list. Is there anyway to stop someone you have "ignored" from being able to follow you?

My biggest issue is that the search bar still doesn't bring up new threads.

Swiping text up or down does not work once the post has a certain length (on the iPhone). I cannot select text at the end of the post and swipe up to get to the toolbar and select a function (i.e. to add a link or quote).

Is there a way of seeing who is on a particular thread? I miss knowing who I'm prattling on to, makes it feel a little less interactive.

Are we no longer able to tell who we are posting with in real time? (There used to be monikers at the bottom of each page.)

Contrary to previous hopes, the new site is not friendly to the browser on my phone. I have a lot of trouble with it freezing, dragging on forever, posts appearing out of order, text/screen hopping around, hard to see/click on links, kicking me out of other apps, etc.

Would it be posible to add an EDIT and DELETE button in the Conversations area? Especially the EDIT!

Thread titles still looking raggedy. Need fix for caps/lower case dilemma.

Our "likes" are calculated for all to see? For some that may be great, but to see in black and white (ok black and tan) that you're low man on the totem pole and everyone knows it, it's just embarrassing. Honestly, it makes me feel like maybe what I contribute here isn't deemed helpful or something.

My ‘recent threads’ and ‘latest replies’ lists are identical. Is that correct and if so is there any need for both? Or am I missing something?

"New Posts" seems not inclusive of every "new post."

I’m logged in and all the posts previous to the change to the new forum have all those symbols for apostrophes and quotation marks. Drives me batty reading old threads.

One can't edit titles after posting threads, and therefore take care with your titles.

When posting threads, your title may suffer fallen capital letters if you punctuate it.

Another needs fixing issue concerns listing the location of your thread, state- or country-wise.

For example, instead of appearing in caps, the t in a Connecticut abbreviation appears as Ct instead of capitalized.

Successive capitalizations appear with their second and following caps lower-cased (i.e. LE for law enforcement appears as Le).

These thread title issues pock the site with unsightly errata, and therefore mar the ultimate seriousness of WS.

They need to turn down the anti-caps lock filter. You should be able to type at least three or four caps in a row.

Sometimes I get alerts about new posts in threads I’m watching, and sometimes I don’t.

Another thing of note for me is the "like" vs "thanks for your post". Many posts are for links or comments to horrific things. I feel uncomfortable about "liking" them, and would rather have stuck with thank you for your contribution to the thread.

It'd be nice to see who is viewing a thread.

With the previous format, you were able to go to your subscriptions page and create folders. This was easier to organize all the threads that you were following instead of having one folder with 150+ pages of subscribed (or watched) threads.

How is it that I registered almost 13,000 posts over eight years but only have one like (my ego took over here).

Depending upon the forum I am in, I am now getting a "Not secure" warning or icon (depending on browser) in the web address -- related to "unsecure content". Is it the ads on those particular pages? I just noticed same warning now as I try to post.

THE SERIOUS ISSUES are these: members' phones or laptops getting hot;
Members' phones using an inordinate amount of memory while on WS;

Ads interfering with the most essential asset a WS member enjoys: the ability to post freely and easily.

I have seen several mention it, but I absolutely hate that big ad that pops up before the thread. Because it takes a few seconds to fully load and when I scroll, it happens to touch a spot it is loading in and now it thinks I have some random disease that I keep getting more ads for. And the video autoplay ads.... just no. Please. My typing right now is about 30 characters behind because the video playing is messing it up.

Everything seemed normal for the first week or so, but now, we are back to ads that mess with function. Sorry, but its annoying and off putting.

I went way over my gigabyte download allowance this month I just found out and BT want to charge me extra - it has to be these videos constantly playing. I also have to have the volume turned down constantly because of it. Plus the slowness. I am going to alert on my post. I recommend others check their download limits and charges.

It’s funny you should say this as I’ve just discovered I used far more data last month. I have 25gb a month so luckily didn’t go over. I usually use no more than 2gb a month. I’ve used 4.9. I haven’t done anything differently. It didn’t occur to me it could be the ads.

Oh ok. I will honestly keep the top ad if I could get the videos to stop. I can barely type and my phone is burning hot.

I started having problems with new site after the ads showed up . Freezes screen continuusly while trying to read threads. So very hard to compose & post. I can only visit in short spurts because it gets worse & then my Samsung device begins to get very hot. I have to turn my phone off after visiting here. No problems at any other websites.

When that "sound" symbol shows up in the top of my screen, that means a video ad is playing. My entire phone lags or freezes and gets BURNING hot. I mean burning. Like I am worried it's going to combust kind of hot. I don't care about necessarily using tapatalk, but sadly, the lag, freeze the screen and burn the phone will make coming here impossible. Please fix it!

And I have to agree on my laptop getting HOT!! I just had it cleaned so that is NOT the problem - I'm thinking it's those ads!! Had a ton of problems yesterday in trying to post and scroll even! Frustrating to say the least....

:(
I agree with those complaining about the ads and the videos playing at the bottom. Too busy and site too slow now. (Fecking dating ad just jumped up the screen while I am typing this asking me if I am male or female)

Very spotty today also, across the board. Has anyone heard anything recently from Admin about the progress of tweaking?

I'm not here much either. I'm having issues posting on my computer.

I totally agree with everyone. Im a long time lurker and lagging, videos playing in the background, battery drain and hot phone is making me so frustrated to the point, i havent been coming on here much apart from this thread to see if its been fixed yet. excuse any typing mistakes my phone is glitching as i reply.

grrrr.... frustrated with lag and freezing up.

It does not matter which browser I use. I clean out cookies/cache regularly -- just did, made no difference.

I really love being a member of WS and am just disappointed that my time spent here is now more frustration and waiting than actual discussing/sleu
thing. :(
----​

Last edited:
Good job Wire.

It might be easier for admin if the same things weren't duplicated? It's a pretty daunting list...
Good idea. I tried to limit duplication - there were many, many to choose from - but did try and include all accounts by members of their phones or laptops hanging up, getting hot, and/or munching down data.

If someone could reduce them to a single-entry list of concerns, it would help.

I really love being a member of WS and am just disappointed that my time spent here is now more frustration and waiting than actual discussing/sleuthing. :(
----​

Look at it this way - all the time and effort you're putting in now will pay off for everyone, and once the kinks are worked out we'll all benefit. They can't be worked out if they are identified. Kind of like Dr. Phil says "You can't change what you don't acknowledge!"

You all propably know this !

But for the first time I checked out the game room what a hoot

so i am going along \\

I had done like 9 games or so

the self talk was : No way I am gonna push out the reg threads i like (off the History one ) love love that !

then i thought well i bet if i click on the serious threads

they will go to the top

then i thought oh shi$ if I have to actually post on thread to get it to the top of the list that aint gonna work for me !!!

then i thought I wonder if you just open and dont post anything if it will go to the top

and it did

yea!!!

I have now added this technique (!) to my repertoire of surviving the new platform tricks !!

Over time I have noticed that the top 50 (that is my survival guide! -- I think of it as music chart top 50!

gets clogged up with threads I had visited but attn span had waived but they still in the top 50 (kinda like a song you don't want to hear!

so now i can keep my top 20 hits at the top of the chart by doing this newly acquired trick of the trade!

Trust me the LV is, at this time the top of the charts!

cool!

(PS : the fact that it is real quick to do was somewhat comforting ) in that i knew if I had to totally WAIT (issue for me anywhere in life!) for the page to TOTALLY load that is not gonna last long! All I had to do was get the loading circle to spin and zap hit close

If this makes zero sense no worries I have NOT taken up heroin as a hobby !

figuring this out was harder than the games that's funny!

Wire, Thanks for the list, that's a lot of work but it's nice to see it all in one place.

Maybe if we can address some of the issues that we have figured out along the way, it might shorten the list, making it easier for administrators.

For example - "new posts" seem not inclusive of every "new post" and "new posts doesn't even show me the threads I've posted"

This was annoying to me however I figured out if you click on "new posts" in the black bar and then click on "recent posts" in blue next to the page numbers then you should be able to see the most recent threads posted.

Warning t: this turned into a OT post by accident--you have been warned!

ONly using caps cause it is funnier that way--- moo!

ANd oh -- this switch to new platform has made me seriously ponder if I need to go have an eye exam --have glasses - but the problem has been remembering where I have left them

== =and the keys ===and the lighters === and the mouse === and some socks == === and the towel ==and the remote light controller thing=== and the COPD inhaler=== and an ashtray===

.....and ANY list I had made to remind me what to do ==(a derivative of this nagging issue --since birth - is forgetting to take the darn list WITH me!).

A subderivative of this issue is exacerbated by discovering that this has happened AGAIN- only after arriving at the store!

goodness i did not realize how dire things are!

I am exhausted from trying to remember all the things that I can not remember!!

Last edited:
I agree wholeheartedly that the list above needs thinned, consolidated, and made less anecdotal in its accounting (but I did want to capture the frustration many posters have felt when they initially posted their issues).

Also, and again: are any of the issues raised, resolved? Especially need to hear from those who posted the problem(s) initially. My main issue - problems with thread titles (see above and anon) - has not been as yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member