GUILTY - Wayne Millard Murder Trial - Dellen Millard Charged With Murder - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the closure and eventual sale off Millardair its no longer clear how much of an inheritance is left, if any, because millions of dollars were lost.

But if there is, yes DM is entitled to it if found not guilty and the Bosma family has already filed a lawsuit. If he’s convicted he losses entitlement and estate proceeds would be disbursed through the courts to WMs other living relatives.

JMO
DM transferred properties to his mother for $1 and that is being looked at , because obviously, he did it for a reason and probably to protect his assets from lawsuits. He had quite a few properties worth a lot of money.

This is by far the weakest case the Crown has presented against DM. Cameron says it's common sense that WM didn't shoot himself just by looking at the picture, and I agree, however, how did all these so called seasoned and trained professionals miss the boat and rule suicide? Crown needed to hit this point home with more than one witness whose evidence was thrown out.
Those who showed up took DM's word and the mother that it was suicide. IT is terrible they did that but they did.
We will see if what they did will allow DM to not be convicted.

Cameron says in his police statement, Millard omitted both the story about his "date," and his ownership of the gun.
by Adam Carter 11:51 AM

"There's no reason for him to do that if he's innocent," Cameron says.
by Adam Carter 11:51 AM

Cameron says there are "omissions" from Millard's statement to police that "amounts to a lie."
by Adam Carter 11:52 AM

Can someone clarify this in simple terms? If DM is found not guilty he keeps the inheritance and others can sue him ...If he is found guilty he loses it> therefore no money left to sue for? Is this correct?

The lawsuit is not really about the money...MS, CN and MB are also named in it. So nothing about this trial and it's outcome has any bearing on the lawsuit and whether it moves forward. It is a wrongful death suit and while 2 people have been convicted for TB's death, there are 2 people named in it that did not receive justice for their part in the events. And there are appeals pending for the 2 that did. It's about complete and total justice for TB in all legal avenues IMO.

If they were to win the civil suit against all parties and an amount is awarded, there is also no guarantee that they'll collect on anything although with DM in prison there is probably a better chance that they'll collect on funds that he still has access to. So if he is found guilty in this trial, there may be less funds available to claim from DM, but I don't think anyone cares about that. I'm sure the Bosma and Babcock families just want to make sure that he is held accountable for everything he has done.

What is more interesting to me, is any potential civil suit they may choose to launch against the TPS and the coroner who botched the investigation should DM be found guilty. Because by not stopping DM in his tracks on his second murder, that allowed for him to go on to murder TB.

MOO

Cameron says police did "no followup whatsoever on the gun."
by Adam Carter 11:53 AM

Cameron says Millard was trying to "divert suspicion" in his statement to police. "Why not admit he was at the house? He doesn't want them to know that."
by Adam Carter 11:56 AM

Cameron says she "supposes" there could be an "innocent explanation" for Millard travelling to Maple Gate in the middle of the night, but if there was, there would be no reason for him to lie about it.
by Adam Carter 11:57 AM

Cameron maintains that the fact that Millard didn't tell police that he went to his father's home that night is a lie.
by Adam Carter 12:00 PM

Cameron again says if there was an innocent reason for Millard to be at his father's home, "Dellen Millard would have told police about it."
by Adam Carter 12:01 PM

"He was there. He lied to police about the gun and his whereabouts that night," Cameron says.
by Adam Carter 12:02 PM

Cameron is now turning to some case law about Millard's choice not to testify in his own defence.
by Adam Carter 12:02 PM

No inference can be drawn from an accused person's choice to not testify -- but Cameron is saying here that there are no other explanations for Millard's behaviour here, because no alternatives have been given.
by Adam Carter 12:04 PM

"There has been no evidence upon which you can draw an inference in his favour," Cameron says.
by Adam Carter 12:08 PM

Cameron says the judge has more of the story than police did at the time of Millard's death. "Their belief that this was a suicide does not equate to reasonable doubt," Cameron says.
by Adam Carter 12:09 PM

Cameron now pointing to how unlikely it would have been for Wayne Millard to have shot himself in the way he did, and with positive things coming in his life. "This is indeed a set of improbable coincidences."
by Adam Carter 12:10 PM

Cameron says it's also incredibly unlikely that Millard found his son's gun, and used it to kill himself. "What luck. A son he loved, and was building a future for," she says.
by Adam Carter 12:11 PM

"For you to find a reasonable doubt as to Dellen Millard's guilt, you would have to accept all of this is possible," Cameron says to the judge.
by Adam Carter 12:12 PM

Cameron says there is "irrefutable evidence" that Millard killed his father. "Dellen Millard carried out a calculated plan to murder his father and covered it up," she says.
by Adam Carter 12:13 PM

Since the judge pointed out to the Crown that she had no evidence for the financial information, can we assume that because the onus is not on the defence to prove anything, she will let them just go on and on with their closing without interruption? Even though they presented no evidence to back up anything they are likely to say?
I wonder why the Crown wouldn't have bothered to enter into evidence some of the financial info... or is it another case of.. can't count on the 'bookkeeper' to tell the truth on the stand, or produce accurate records from the time, etc.?

Pillay starts by saying this is a "circumstantial case, and we all know that." Pillay says there is a reasonable alternative to murder here: suicide. "The Crown has not eliminated this reasonable alternative inference to guilt," he says.
by Adam Carter 12:15 PM

Pillay says there is an "overwhelming body of evidence" here that points to suicide.
by Adam Carter 12:16 PM

Pillay says the Crown has not proven here that Millard's statements to police were made to conceal involvement in any sort of offence.
by Adam Carter 12:17 PM

"He was concerned about his inheritance being spent on a huge new business venture that he didn't want," Cameron says. She's now pointing to the fact that Dellen Millard fired everyone and dumped the MRO licence right after his father's death. "With Wayne out of the way, [Dellen] didn't have to run a business he didn't want," Cameron says.
by Adam Carter 11:04 AM

Cameron is now running through Millard's texts with Matthew Ward Jackson -- a GTA weapon's dealer who he bought guns from. The Crown says he bought the gun used to shoot his father from Ward-Jackson.
by Adam Carter 11:05 AM

"His DNA was on the grip," Cameron says.
by Adam Carter 11:06 AM

"There is no evidence that Dellen Millard gave this gun to Wayne Millard ... Dellen's gun shot and killed Wayne," Cameron says.
by Adam Carter 11:06 AM
Remember when, as per AC's tweets/liveblog, DM asked the officer, when he found the gun, 'was it a revolver'? I wonder why it was not elaborated upon as to what the officer then responded, and how that conversation went? ie.. why do you ask that? what do you know about a revolver? who does the revolver belong to? when did you last see the revolver? have you ever touched the revolver you're referring to? etc etc etc etc etc??????? I am unsure if this was just a lack of reporting every word said during the trial due to only one reporter being sent to cover, or if the detective really did not even respond to DM's strange question?

Cameron says Millard's second phone was activated on Nov. 1, 2012. That's the day Wayne Millard got the MRO certificate for his business -- and Cameron says that's a business "Dellen Millard didn't want" and that timing was "no coincidence." She says Millard's inheritance money was being "funnelled out" for that business.
by Adam Carter 10:58 AM

Wow...just wow. :eek: That screams pre-planning and a motive to me.
Unbelievable/incredible, huh? My guess is that, for some reason not really clear right now, DM had the expectation that the MRO would NOT receive its certification. I have wondered about that all along. I know it has been said that this certification was something that was 'coveted', and not easy to get. Is there any reason why this operation would have potentially been declined its certification?

Pillay is now running through legal precedent on statement evidence in a case like this.
by Adam Carter 12:19 PM

Pillay says there is a tendency for "laypeople" to jump from "disbelief to fabrication" when looking at a police statement like Millard's.
by Adam Carter 12:20 PM

He's still running through previous cases for legal precedent here.
by Adam Carter 12:23 PM

I wonder why the Crown wouldn't have bothered to enter into evidence some of the financial info... or is it another case of.. can't count on the 'bookkeeper' to tell the truth on the stand, or produce accurate records from the time, etc.?

Surely Millardair employed an Accountant, a multimillion dollar business? It’s highly unlikely a company could ever obtain financing without one.

From the Bosma trial —

“......She is "only" a bookkeeper, she agreed with Nadir Sachak. She is self-taught, and has no formal qualifications as an accountant or even as a bookkeeper.

"So when you talk about the financial affairs and the financial status of companies and corporations, you really don't know what you're talking about," Sachak suggested....”
Bosma trial: Millardair bookkeeper says money was “very tight”

Pillay says the Crown has not proven here that Millard's statements to police were made to conceal involvement in any sort of offence.
by Adam Carter 12:17 PM
Well what were his false statements for Pillay?

The lawsuit is not really about the money...MS, CN and MB are also named in it. So nothing about this trial and it's outcome has any bearing on the lawsuit and whether it moves forward. It is a wrongful death suit and while 2 people have been convicted for TB's death, there are 2 people named in it that did not receive justice for their part in the events. And there are appeals pending for the 2 that did. It's about complete and total justice for TB in all legal avenues IMO.

If they were to win the civil suit against all parties and an amount is awarded, there is also no guarantee that they'll collect on anything although with DM in prison there is probably a better chance that they'll collect on funds that he still has access to. So if he is found guilty in this trial, there may be less funds available to claim from DM, but I don't think anyone cares about that. I'm sure the Bosma and Babcock families just want to make sure that he is held accountable for everything he has done.

What is more interesting to me, is any potential civil suit they may choose to launch against the TPS and the coroner who botched the investigation should DM be found guilty. Because by not stopping DM in his tracks on his second murder, that allowed for him to go on to murder TB.

MOO
How far could a lawsuit against the coroner go, when this part-time, as-needed, semi-retired, at-will coroner, LOST the paperwork on this case? I wonder why he lost the paperwork? I'm saying that it is highly highly unlikely that such paperwork would be lost, and that if any had been lost, what a coincidence that it happened to be THIS particular case that the paperwork was lost.. so my conspiracy-theory-mometer is throwing up red flags to suggest that the coroner didn't want his paperwork analysed in a courtroom.. is it because he's covering an incompetent butt? Or because the notes may have indicated more reason why he believed 'suicide' vs murder? If that were the case however, why not produce it. Okay, so I get it. Is there no procedure written in stone for how coronial paperwork is dealt with as a matter of policy, every single time? This case should really have a coroner's inquest to see why SO much went wrong! I can get it that we're all only human, no matter what our profession is, no matter our career, no matter what the policies are, or precedents, but really? How many things in this particular case are just plain bizarro? jmo.

Surely Millardair employed an Accountant, a multimillion dollar business? It’s highly unlikely a company could ever obtain financing without one.

From the Bosma trial —

“......She is "only" a bookkeeper, she agreed with Nadir Sachak. She is self-taught, and has no formal qualifications as an accountant or even as a bookkeeper.

"So when you talk about the financial affairs and the financial status of companies and corporations, you really don't know what you're talking about," Sachak suggested....”
Bosma trial: Millardair bookkeeper says money was “very tight”
From memory, I believe the 'accountant' was a man who lived next door to RB. I wonder why he was never called to the stand during ANY trial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave