CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, sounds totally random. Very scary.

Sheriffs confirm there was another shooting in the area around the same time Monday morning when a man's car was hit with a gunshot.

JMO
See I think the shootings could be related. What are the odds a random persons car would be shot at on Monday which is either the Monday after or the Monday before Friday's killing in the tent.

The article is confusing to read but it sounds to me that around the same time of day the car was hit on a Monday. The person killed in the tent was on a Friday very close to that Monday. The hour of both shootings was around the same time frame.

That is how I took it. Then the article describes even a 3rd random vehicle shooting in 2017.

Sounds to me these could be related because all were in same general area. Maybe someone living in the woods nearby there and randomly shooting at people.

"The campgrounds are closed after two shootings in the last five days."

Second shooting at California state park where dad was killed while camping with daughters

True, I think you're right. Still no explanation of the other shooting though....

Please forgive me if I'm totally confused but wasn't that car shooting a year ago?

eta: Oops, different car shooting.

Sheriffs confirm there was another shooting in the area around the same time Monday morning when a man's car was hit with a gunshot.

Last year, Meliss Tatangelo had a similar experience.

"I walked around in the back, and at first I thought it was a joke," Tatangelo said.

She posted a video to Facebook in January of 2017 showing where her Honda was shot while she was at the park.

"Then my boyfriend walked around and he was like, 'That's a bullet hole.' And I was like, 'It is, right?'" Tatangelo said.
Second shooting at California state park where dad was killed while camping with daughters

Last edited:
Wow, sounds totally random. Very scary.

See... this is why reading comprehension matters. Obviously this was the shooting you were referring to, so please ignore me.

This is so weird!!!!!

Malibu campground where father fatally shot is closed down as safety precaution

-A wildlife biologist hiking the Backbone Trail and sleeping overnight in a hammock in Tapia Park, just south of Malibu Creek State Park, was hit by bird shot from a shotgun on Nov. 3, 2016.

-Meliss Tatangelo was camping in her Honda when she heard a loud noise around 5 a.m in January 2017.

I'm trying to figure out how to separate all the shootings. So there are four total - one each in 2016 and 2017, and two in June 2018?

-A wildlife biologist hiking the Backbone Trail and sleeping overnight in a hammock in Tapia Park, just south of Malibu Creek State Park, was hit by bird shot from a shotgun on Nov. 3, 2016.

-Meliss Tatangelo was camping in her Honda when she heard a loud noise around 5 a.m in January 2017.

I'm trying to figure out how to separate all the shootings. So there are four total - one each in 2016 and 2017, and two in June 2018?

BBM-- I think that's correct. It feels like they have to be connected because they're so random, but also that they can't be connected because they're so random. Does that make sense?

See... this is why reading comprehension matters. Obviously this was the shooting you were referring to, so please ignore me.

This is so weird!!!!!

My grammar sucks but, to me, this means there is more than one campground that was shut down.

The campgrounds are closed after two shootings in the last five days.

Seems like it should say the campground is closed....I kept re-reading to try to find another campground that was closed, lol.

Here is the list of shootings, that we know of.

MCSP=Malibu Creek State Park

Nov. 2016-Tapia Trail (just south of MCSP), Adult male, while sleeping in his hammock, was shot at close range with a shotgun. Needed surgery to remove pellets from his arm.

Jan. 2017-MCSP, 5Am, While sleeping in their Honda, an adult female and her boyfriend are shot at close range by a shotgun. No injuries reported.

June 18th, 2018, MCSP, (4:30AM?) Adult male reports finding gunshots on his parked vehicle. No injuries reported.

June 22, 2018, MCSP-campsite 49, 4:45AM, Tristen Beaudette, 35. Shot and killed while sleeping with his two young daughters, ages 2 and 4.

Campers recall previous shootings at California site where renowned scientist was killed

Second shooting at Malibu campground where father found murdered in front of two young daughters

JMO
See I think the shootings could be related. What are the odds a random persons car would be shot at on Monday which is either the Monday after or the Monday before Friday's killing in the tent.

The article is confusing to read but it sounds to me that around the same time of day the car was hit on a Monday. The person killed in the tent was on a Friday very close to that Monday. The hour of both shootings was around the same time frame.

That is how I took it. Then the article describes even a 3rd random vehicle shooting in 2017.

Sounds to me these could be related because all were in same general area. Maybe someone living in the woods nearby there and randomly shooting at people.

"The campgrounds are closed after two shootings in the last five days."

The headline & article are very hard to understand. I took it to mean that there was another shooting yesterday. If it was last week, wouldn't they have said "prior shooting" or "man killed is second shooting" or something similar?

As there are everywhere these days. There are a fair amount of homeless living in the surrounding hills.

Here is the list of shootings, that we know of.

MCSP=Malibu Creek State Park

Nov. 2016-Tapia Trail (just south of MCSP), Adult male, while sleeping in his hammock, was shot at close range with a shotgun. Needed surgery to remove pellets from his arm.

Jan. 2017-MCSP, 5Am, While sleeping in their Honda, an adult female and her boyfriend are shot at close range by a shotgun. No injuries reported.

June 18th, 2018, MCSP, (4:30AM?) Adult male reports finding gunshots on his parked vehicle. No injuries reported.

June 22, 2018, MCSP-campsite 49, 4:45AM, Tristen Beaudette, 35. Shot and killed while sleeping with his two young daughters, ages 2 and 4.

<...>

Thank you! The "Second Shooting Confirmed" article confused me enough to mistake the Monday shooting for June 25th, which made far less sense than actual date of 18th.

The shotgun bird shot incident is the 4th different random shooting in the general area that I have read about.

Below are the 4 different ones I have seen mentioned. They are listed from most recent to oldest.

Do we need to add any more to this list that we know about?

(1)-Friday, June 22nd, 2018 - Tent killing Tristan Beaudette

(2)-Monday, June 25 , 2018, random car shooting in same area

"Sheriffs confirm there was another shooting in the area around the same time Monday morning when a man's car was hit with a gunshot."

"Three days after a father was found shot to death during a Southern California camping trip, another camper reported a shooting at the same Malibu campground."

(3) -
January of 2017, random car shooting of car owned by Meliss Tatangelo

(4)- Nov. 3, 2016, random shotgun pellet shooting of James Rogers sleeping overnight in a hammock in Tapia Park, just south of Malibu Creek State Park. If he had not been sleeping with his arm around his head, it could have been fatal as it sounds like shooter was aiming for head area.

"“I sleep with my arm up by my head, and I suspect I was shot at close range,” he said."

Second shooting at Malibu campground where father found murdered in front of two young daughters

Last edited:
He was in the pharmaceutical industry. Perhaps he was on to something and was ready to speak out. Maybe someone that knew his wife wouldn't be there. Also there has been a history of random shootings there around the same times (4am). The police say there's no connection but how can they know for sure?
Man fatally shot at Malibu Creek State Park campground identified - L.A. Times

Father Shot While Camping At Malibu Creek State Park Identified - CBS L.A.

The father of two young girls fatally shot while camping early Friday morning in Malibu Creek State Park has been identified as 35-year-old Tristan Beaudette of Irvine.

Deputies said they have no leads, no suspect and no motive.

Beaudette leaves behind his wife, Erica, and two young daughters, aged 2 and 4.

Friend said Beaudette took the girls camping so that Erica could study for a big test she was studying for.

Beaudette’s friends and family told KCAL9’s Cristy Fajardo that Tristan had a resume everyone would envy.
--
But it was his children who were his greatest pride and joy.

That’s just one more reason his shooting death, with his toddlers nearby, is so devastating and puzzling.

Officials said they found Beaudette bleeding in his tent.

People come [here] for scenery, peace, tranquility. The fatal shooting has everyone, including fellow campers, shocked.

“It’s pretty secluded,” said one woman, “it’s pretty spread out. It’s pretty quiet. I wouldn’t expect something like this to happen.”
--​

I'm wondering if there similar shootings at other Southern California campgrounds? unless they were previously reported by the media we probably wouldn't have access to that information.

The Monday shooting was the Monday before Tristen was shot.

Is there an article that gives the actual date of the Monday shooting. I cant tell if its the 18th or the 25th Monday.

The Monday shooting was the Monday before Tristen was shot.

I found an article that states below so i think the Monday shooting was actually the 25th Monday. Because 3 days after Friday the 22nd is the 25th Monday.
I updated my Post where I listed the 4 incidents too.

"Three days after a father was found shot to death during a Southern California camping trip, another camper reported a shooting at the same Malibu campground."

I found an article that states below so i think the Monday shooting was actually the 25th Monday. Because 3 days after Friday the 22nd is the 25th Monday.
I updated my Post where I listed the 4 incidents too.

I'm not so sure. This article cites the CBS article as their source, and the CBS article is unclear. The LA Times article says "3 earlier shootings".

I'm not so sure. This article cites the CBS article as their source, and the CBS article is unclear. The LA Times article references "3 earlier shootings".

Im sticking with the 25th because of the word "AFTER" in what is stated below. Those articles sure did not make it easy to figure out everything LOL :)

I updated my post #192 above where I listed all 4 incidents.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member