Thailand - FOUND ALIVE - Officials Believe 12 Boys And Coach Trapped In Cave , 23 June 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or trying something that might aid the boys if they're going to try the dive... I really very much doubt the Thai would send in a diver who can't swim. o_O

Me too. I always thought it's a given that if you're a diver you can swim. I mean the movements under water are very similar to swimming on the surface aren't they?

I think the inner tube is a makeshift buoyancy compensator. A proper BCD would look like a life jacket, and it has air bladders inside. I don't see any evidence of a BCD.

He may not be an official diver. He could be a local with limited funds who wanted to help.

I think the inner tube is a makeshift buoyancy compensator. A proper BCD would look like a life jacket, and it has air bladders inside. I don't see any evidence of a BCD.

He may not be an official diver. He could be a local with limited funds who wanted to help.
I am pretty sure that they would not be letting locals who could not swim into the cave.

Well... at least it's an improvement from 4 months. There's that.
It's not an improvement if the cave completely fills to the top with water, while they are drilling. Also three months would be the best case scenario. That is assuming that their first shaft penetrates the cave. Past experience shows that it usually takes more then one attempt. Finding this cave could be particularly tricky. Again personally I think they should get started on it anyway, just in case. But it would probably be a waste of time and money.

Me too. I always thought it's a given that if you're a diver you can swim. I mean the movements under water are very similar to swimming on the surface aren't they?

No, they aren't. In open water, you use your legs only. Your arms only slow you down and use up air. There are different fins, and methods of finning for specific reasons.

In these tunnels, the will probably crawl with a tool like a small garden claw in their hands.

Thanks for this link, Gardener1850,

That site is astonishing to view. I can't believe how many unique models of these exist!

Yes, and these are just the ones I found on an English-language site and with my having zero knowledge of scuba equipment. It's possible the one seen in the photo is a model sold only in Asian countries or it's possible a volunteer has modified an intertube to do the same job of this expensive equipment.

I don't know .... Yes really quiet. There's just nothing new from news outlets at all.

In the last hour, the last headline I saw stated "Thai rescue teams prepare to decide which trapped children will swim for their lives -- and who will stay behind" and the Governor overseeing rescue adding 'If the condition is right and if that person is ready 100%, he can come out,'.....

Thai cave rescue teams prepare to decide which trapped children will swim for their lives | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
In the last hour, the last headline I saw stated "Thai rescue teams prepare to decide which trapped children will swim for their lives -- and who will stay behind" and the Governor overseeing rescue adding 'If the condition is right and if that person is ready 100%, he can come out,'.....
And that was in Daily Mail Online.

Don't bet on it. wouldn't hurt to send a message. they may not know about such things.
Did you catch the photo of one of their Navy Seal divers with all
his diving gear on AND an inner tube tied on his back? A plain
old black inner tube. Guessing he couldn't swim.

You will never find a Navy Seal Diver that does not know how to swim.:wink:

And I am pretty sure they know a lot more about pumps and their volume than we do. It's not like it never occurred to the engineers who hooked that one up, that there might be others with higher volume levels. I am sure they are working on getting the best they can as soon as they can. JMO

He didn’t elaborate on either of those plans, but as The Guardian reports, around 32 million gallons (120 million liters) of water has been pumped out of the caves since late yesterday.

View attachment upload_2018-7-4_14-25-25.gif
A water pipe being placed at the entrance to a cave complex where 12 boys and their soccer coach were trapped inside when heavy rains flooded the cave in northern Thailand.
Image: AP
The boys are also being given a crash course in swimming and an introduction to scuba diving. Thai officials are currently in conversations with Mermaid Subsea Services in Bangkok, a firm that normally provides equipment for undersea oil and gas extraction. The company is being asked to supply diving masks for the kids. Ideally, AGA Divator masks would be used, which cover the entire face and are specially fitted for children. Ruengrit Changkwanyuen, an official with the Thai contingent of the international cave diving team, said the boys will also be equipped with wetsuits (the water is very cold), boots, and helmets.

https://gizmodo.com/a-daring-plan-to-rescue-boys-trapped-in-thai-cave-is-st-1827345522

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82