Sentencing and beyond- JA General Discussion #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
LAcres brief copy is no longer available. Seems her server hit max bandwidth. Have people maybe been reading it online without downloading?
It does seem like that is what happened. Sorry folks. If anyone did not download a copy and needs it, I would be more then happy to email a copy, while I get this sorted out. Just PM me.

I can certainly understand Hope's feelings when, she's immersed herself in Travis' world, literally watching as is taking everything from him he holds dear, feeling his pain and utter frustration. She wasn't just reciting, she was experiencing it all as she related it to us, and from a perspective of having personal knowledge of what he was going through.

And then some who have studied the case from the beginning weigh in and seem to have misunderstood what was at the heart of Travis and his travails at that time (as well as Travis himself). It likely wasn't the intention but to me it felt quite insensitive to Hope.

Many of us have followed the trial closely. Hope4More sent me a private message and I responded generously. She has recited, repeated, organised and written enough information to write a book. I said so here. It isn't insensitive to absolutely disagree with some of her conclusions. Nor should anyone encounter hostility for doing so. This is a discussion forum and I am respectful. I can't be expected to know everyone's 'personal' associations with this case. Nor do I wish to. Your post seems pretty disrespectful to me. I'm sure we can agree to disagree.

POSA didn't come on board until after the filed her appeal (shortly after JSS sentenced her). They insulted the COA within a few months after that, iirc.
But there was that time in PP2 when the COA had to rule on the merits of disallowing press in court. Didn’t target a judge on the COA? Offendedness began at that time?

We need a new thread? This one can’t keep up with typing on an iPad.

I'm working on that dissertation about POSA's brief, but I just remembered something I've forgotten to post-

A COA deputy clerk told me this week that ALL exhibits introduced into evidence at trial, other than anything sealed, are available to the public. Right now.

Anyone could walk into the COA, approach a deputy clerk, and say.. I'd like a copy, please, of say....the transcript of the May 26 chat. And he/she would hand it over, just like that. :) :) :)

Oh to be in AZ and be able to get original copies of all of the camera pics. :(

Very much looking forward to your dissertation!

Many of us have followed the trial closely. Hope4More sent me a private message and I responded generously. She has recited, repeated, organised and written enough information to write a book. I said so here. It isn't insensitive to absolutely disagree with some of her conclusions. Nor should anyone encounter hostility for doing so. This is a discussion forum and I am respectful. I can't be expected to know everyone's 'personal' associations with this case. Nor do I wish to. Your post seems pretty disrespectful to me. I'm sure we can agree to disagree.

I think by now this is water under the bridge but there was no disrespect intended, as I alluded to in my final sentence ("it likely wasn't the intention...").

Maybe it doesn’t work on an iPad?

Sorry about that.... don't know what to tell ya! Maybe...
83x83px-LL-56c4851e_hitcomputer.gif

I think by now this is water under the bridge but there was no disrespect intended, as I alluded to in my final sentence ("it likely wasn't the intention...").

My husband and I have been on 'vacation' on Italy. Otherwise, I'd have responded to your post earlier. To return to news of more predictable Arias' tactics is frustrating and amusing, in equal measure.

That "fact" section angered me too. A lot. It is outrageous that she is seemingly allowed to continue peddling her vicious lies even after she has been convicted of first degree murder.

But, taking a step back, two things imo are obvious:

1. As JM said, this trial was always about a gun and a knife and a slaughter that was premeditated.

The jury voted on a gun and a knife and whether or not the slaughter was premeditated. They weren't asked to vote on whether or not they were persuaded that Travis was a pedophile, or a sexual predator , or a bad Mormon, or a bad person.

Neither were they asked to vote on whether or not the was a liar or a horrible person. Their only job was to decide whether or not she was a person who premeditated killing Travis Alexander.

Why that distinction matters is that because the jury is silent on the individual elements of a defense case, yes, technically POSA is entitled to state her testimony as "fact."

2. Why IMO it was not very smart of POSA to present so much of her testimony at all, much less to include so many of her most egregious lies, is because it will be an easy task for the State to neutralize these "facts" by noting how thoroughly the 's testimony on those matters was impeached at trial.

And that's if they even bother to refute those "facts" individually in their response brief.

The State doesn't need to do so, actually. The "facts" presented were, at minimum, contested at trial, and POSA's presentation of them as unchallenged facts weakens their credibility.

As much or more to the point: the "facts" as presented weaken POSA's appeal (imo) because they insult the Court's intelligence by gliding over, almost entirely, the inconvenient actual facts presentee by the State that led a jury to convict the of first degree murder.

Bad idea. Bad attorneys. Bad appeal
DENIED!!! :D

I'm working on that dissertation about POSA's brief, but I just remembered something I've forgotten to post-

A COA deputy clerk told me this week that ALL exhibits introduced into evidence at trial, other than anything sealed, are available to the public. Right now.

Anyone could walk into the COA, approach a deputy clerk, and say.. I'd like a copy, please, of say....the transcript of the May 26 chat. And he/she would hand it over, just like that. :) :) :)
Regarding 'All exhibits introduced into evidence' :
Can we ask for a copy of, say, the whole/complete laptop history report by Menendez or Dworkin, not just what were shown on the screen and discussed during trial?
(well, maybe not the whole thing, just June 3rd and June 4th)

and are all of the photos including those undeleted (90? of them), available to us? (thinking of Geevee)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305