Thailand - FOUND ALIVE - 12 Boys And Coach Trapped In Cave , 23 June 2018 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would blame the government officials for that, not the media. If they hadn't pushed the media so far back, they wouldn't be needing to use a drone to get video. As for the police radio, that is public anyway. Anybody can listen to that, so why shouldn't reporters report what they hear? The media is just doing their job. The Thai Government is clearly interfering with the news media, not the other way around.

Thailand ranks about 138 on the Press Freedom Index. That puts it in the Difficult Situation category. That's the second worst category on the index.

Press Freedom Index - Wikipedia

Baloney. I seriously doubt all the people who have converged on the scene in Thailand are credentialed news media. The two instances cited in the story would not be allowed in the U.S. where media have to abide by a code of professional ethics.

The police in the U.S. always push back media to distances where ever they want them especially when they are trying to provide privacy to a victim. Police radio frequencies are not all public in the U.S. In fact, many communities now are totally encrypting all police radio traffic. And there are laws concerning drones, their effect on air safety and interference with air craft.

Thai cave rescue: Seven BRITISH HEROES spearheading rescue mission

The brave seven teamed up with six more international cave divers and five Thai Navy SEALS, swearing they would “bring the Wild Boar team home”.

The group, led by the Brits,..... kicking off the “most complex rescue ever attempted in the caving world”, according to one expert taking part to the operation.

A diver at the scene yesterday said: “Thai navy SEALS are hard as nails, but you need experienced cave divers to lead this.”

The group decided to descend the cave on Sunday fearing monsoon rain could further raise the level of water in the tunnels, making more difficult the rescue operation and threatening the survival of the boys and the coach.

But the rescuing also bear risks.

“Diving in caves is significantly different to diving in open water.

It was very important to get cave divers – people who have the mindset to operate in low visibility, tight spaces and no air space.”

iirc, there are 90 divers total and 18 elite divers.
My guess would be eight divers for the rescue, eight more to backup the first eight, and two extras, incase something happens the others. The non-elite divers would just provide support services. They would need to have at least two more elite divers to make it 10 rescuers and 10 backups.

Code:
<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!4v1531187032432!6m8!1m7!1sCAoSLEFGMVFpcE5pQlhpR1Z2am1OZjh5WnRqR0JPR0hxOU1WT04yUFdYc2NXcEVY!2m2!1d13.1352257!2d99.9328194!3f247.25480337295588!4f-2.3583158257747954!5f0.7820865974627469" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I google mapped the cave with directions to Bangkok so I could get an idea of the area. There is red, heavy traffic just a few blocks from the cave.

Just + / zoom in on the Tham Khao Lauang - that is where the cave is.

Google Maps

WOW...you can go inside what looks like a cave temple and it is AMAZING. If you click next to the white fence, it will take you inside.

Google Maps

That isn't the right cave. The one in question is in northern Thailand near Chiang Rai. I made the same mistake a couple days ago.

I turned off the radio last night after an announcer said they might have to leave the coach behind, and it wasn't said that there would be another rescue or until the next attempt grrrr. I just wonder if some media think before they speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong