Canada - Carla, 64, & Alan Rutherford, 63, Dundas Ontario, 9 July 2018- *ARREST*

I guess the cemetery provided easy access to the backyard. Another reason to not back onto a field, park, school yard or cemetery when buying a house.

What a horrible crime, to do this you have to be a very sick individual.

I do hope the dogs have a new home soon and am surprised but glad that they survived. I always thought animals usually perish in fires due to smoke inhalation.

These 2 screenshots of the rear yard (taken from the police press conference video around 2:35 on youtube posted above), show the fence which would presumably have had to have been climbed over in order to get to the house from the cemetery.

Attachments

• Presser youtube rear fence.jpg
    Presser youtube rear fence.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Presser youtube rear fence2.jpg
    Presser youtube rear fence2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 37
I guess the cemetery provided easy access to the backyard. Another reason to not back onto a field, park, school yard or cemetery when buying a house.

What a horrible crime, to do this you have to be a very sick individual.

I do hope the dogs have a new home soon and am surprised but glad that they survived. I always thought animals usually perish in fires due to smoke inhalation.
A newspaper report on July 10th stated that one of the dogs had been rescued from the basement, but the other one's fate was unknown.

"Firefighters also rescued a family dog from the basement before the roof collapsed, Cunliffe said. The pet is alive and was handed over to a neighbour.

There was no word on a second dog."
--

Dundas couple killed in house fire were ‘wonderful’ neighbours

Later reports stated the two dogs were both being cared for by a neighbour.

"Neighbours are caring for the Rutherfords’ two chocolate Labs. Many people in the quiet Dundas neighbourhood knew the couple from seeing them walking their dogs. - Cathie Coward , The Hamilton Spectator"
--

Fatal Dundas fire investigation expected to be lengthy

Attachments

• Dogs cared for by neighbours now.jpg
    Dogs cared for by neighbours now.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 18
In looking at the properties from the air, they sure look close together. I had to look at it hard to determine whose house had the swimming pool.

Maybe some arguments over property; the pool being too close to the property line; screaming kids in the pool all day and all night;.......

And why would the lab be in the basement? Maybe someone put them there so they wouldn't interfere?

Two Labs didn't alert their masters ... smacks of someone known to those pups.

Just wanted to say that my spouses' family were robbed while they slept, many years ago and their dog didn't alert either.
Seems the burglars knew there was a dog and slipped a steak through the mailbox before entering. The dog was found, sedated, in the hallway.

My MIL said it was ghastly to know that someone had been at the bottom of the bed while they slept, taking watches and a bit of money.

I do hope they catch these creeps and fast.

In looking at the properties from the air, they sure look close together. I had to look at it hard to determine whose house had the swimming pool.

Maybe some arguments over property; the pool being too close to the property line; screaming kids in the pool all day and all night;.......

And why would the lab be in the basement? Maybe someone put them there so they wouldn't interfere?
Yes, they seem really close together and very fortunate the fire didn't spread to neighbouring properties.. if AR had not escaped to go to a neighbour's to have them contact 911, who knows how long it would have been and how far the fire may have spread?

I found it interesting in the press conference when the detective was specifically asked:
3:30 Reporter: Are any of your suspects family members?

3:32 Det/Sgt Steve Bereziuk: Uh we've been working with the family and uh, they have been cooperative.

ie that wasn't a 'yes', but it also wasn't a 'no'.

Yes, they seem really close together and very fortunate the fire didn't spread to neighbouring properties.. if AR had not escaped to go to a neighbour's to have them contact 911, who knows how long it would have been and how far the fire may have spread?

I found it interesting in the press conference when the detective was specifically asked:
3:30 Reporter: Are any of your suspects family members?

3:32 Det/Sgt Steve Bereziuk: Uh we've been working with the family and uh, they have been cooperative.

ie that wasn't a 'yes', but it also wasn't a 'no'.

Judging by the obit, it appears they met later in life and have blended families. Sometimes that can cause some issues so I'm sure LE need to get a read on how everyone got along.

MOO

If the fire 'started' in the couple's bedroom, I wonder if something was thrown into the window, or if someone actually *entered* the bedroom? Such a disgusting thought :(

This photo is from: Fatal Dundas fire investigation expected to be lengthy

When I first heard about this 'suspicious' fire, I wondered if they had left the window open due to the heat we've had lately.

I also wondered if they'd been smoking, earlier in the night and it had smouldered. We still hear about a lot of smoking in bed fires, sadly.

When I first heard about this 'suspicious' fire, I wondered if they had left the window open due to the heat we've had lately.

I also wondered if they'd been smoking, earlier in the night and it had smouldered. We still hear about a lot of smoking in bed fires, sadly.
Although police wouldn't say, because it is 'evidence', I believe accelerant would have to have been used in this, to make the flames go so high and hot so fast in such a defined area? I think smoking in bed would more tend to cause a smouldering type of fire?

Police saying the couple would have experienced 'sheer terror'.. which can only mean that they saw their killer(s) setting the fire, or/and that they were awake and aware of their predicament and unable to get out, is unsettling. The thought of a human actually being inside their bedroom while they slept and doing this, is just incomprehensible.

And yes, that occurred to me as well, about the window being open due to the heat wave we've been having.. it's hard to imagine they didn't have central air in the house, however if there may have been a breeze and the temp was supposed to cool off in the night, there's a possibility?

"A Hamilton couple “would have experienced sheer terror” when a fire was deliberately set in their home while they slept, claiming their lives, police say."
Couple were killed in deliberate blaze: Hamilton cops

"A Hamilton couple “would have experienced sheer terror” when a fire was deliberately set in their home while they slept, claiming their lives, police say."

This statement indicates to me that it is believed that the couple was asleep but would have been quickly awakened by the actual flames. Most people are killed by smoke inhalation before the heat or flames kills them. (Not an expert.)

I suspect that the fire was set directly on the bed so that the victim(s) would wake immediately to the terror of being on fire.

(My worst nightmare would be seeing a flamethrower. Not saying that happened in this case.)

This statement indicates to me that it is believed that the couple was asleep but would have been quickly awakened by the actual flames. Most people are killed by smoke inhalation before the heat or flames kills them. (Not an expert.)

I suspect that the fire was set directly on the bed so that the victim(s) would wake immediately to the terror of being on fire.

(My worst nightmare would be seeing a flamethrower. Not saying that happened in this case.)

I wonder if Mr. R. was able to say anything to the neighbors when he was able to escape the home. He expired shortly thereafter on the lawn.

Unrelated to the Rutherford deaths, but The Royal Hamilton Yacht Club has experienced another tragic loss. rbbm.
Police believe Ray Emery’s death was ‘a case of misadventure’
"Former NHL goalie Ray Emery has died during an early-morning swim at the dock where his friend's boat was moored at the Royal Hamilton Yacht Club.

Police confirmed the body found by divers at 2:50 p.m. on Sunday in Hamilton Harbour is the 35-year-old Stanley Cup-winning goaltender originally from Cayuga."

"He says the club is reeling from this second tragedy following the possible murder of members Carla and Alan Rutherford in an apparently deliberately-set fire at their Dundas home July 9.

The club hosted memorial events for the couple Thursday and Saturday. A celebration of life was taking place Sunday at the club, while police remained on scene investigating Emery's death.

"I'm thinking there has been a lot of tragedy around this club," said Seeley. "It's been a really tough week for our club."

Other members of the tight-knit boating community expressed similar shock.

"Our hearts go out to the people here," said Karyn Maddeaux from the Fifty Point Yacht Club. "It's really hard for the boating community in general. It's very upsetting."

Club members said people do not normally swim near the slips where the boats are docked"

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back