Identified! IL - Cook Co, BlkMale, 20-30, Tats: Cleveland 216, Rubber City Boy 330, NFL, Jun'15 - Michael Rogers

I'm still so baffled by this case. As you mention, at this point his tattoos are the only thing we have. The point of showing the tattoos was to try and jog people's memories.
I personally think he was in a gang and this is why his acquaintances haven't come forward with information.

Agree. I think this has all the earmarks of gang. No one will talk.

Let’s not judge him based on his ink. I have a giant tribal butt hat (18 and stupid)that I would hate to have my life based on if that’s all that was left of me at the end. I’m inclined to agree with you that there is likely more detail that is just to deteriorated for us to read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol butt hat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was born and raised in Akron and am still here after 53 years. In reading about this young man a few things struck me. Here's a little history. Akron has always been a hub for immigrants/refugees but beginning in 2008 Akron saw a huge influx of Asian immigrants. North Hill is the area of town where many refugees relocate largely in part because that is where the International Institute is located. The Institute is an organization that offers countless programs and services that assist immigrants in integrating into American society. For most immigrants, the Institute is their life line. To give you an idea about how saturated the area is with immigrants, the local paper wrote an article in 2015 declaring over half the student body at North High School was now Asian. That is the high school serving residents of North Hill.

Some thoughts on the tattoos; Akron's (and Clevelands) area code, since area codes were assigned in the 1940s was always 216. In 1996, half the city of Akron was assigned a different/new area code. You guessed it, 330. Many newcomers we see get tattoos of the state and/or area codes where they settled. Walk around North Hill and you'll see a lot of 330 tattoos not to mention 330 tee shirts. Some of the older folks (who arrived prior to 1996) have the original 216 area code and when that changed they updated their tattoos to include the new code of 330.

Akron is home to numerous gangs. Most very small and unorganized, wannabes as we call them. In Akron, one of those wannabes gangs is called From Laffer (N.F.L). Laffer is a street roughly 1-2 miles from the center of North Hill. When I saw The NFL tattoo, that came to mind. Another thing came to mind ...The one arm with the cross appears to be burned. Not unheard of to burn a tattoo off a gang member who has brought dishonor to the gang or has asked to "jump out" on their own accord. Gang code calls for all identifiers to the gang be removed.

The tattoo of the skyline is that of Akron's skyline I believe. If you look above the buildings you can see the iconic Goodyear blimp in the sky (Akron became known as the rubber city and rubber capital of the world because of the number of rubber companies operating here in the late 19th century). The Goodyear blimp still docks at the airdock in Akron and is a common sight in the summer sky to this date. Many renderings of Akron's skyline include the blimp.

As for the tattoo "Money over *advertiser censored*" ... The lady looks Asian to me. I believe what some are calling cut off horns on top of her head are actually stacks of money. I've seen hundreds of variations of that tattoo and it usually includes stacks of cash.

One last thought as to why this young man with so many identifiers has gone unknown for so long. There are several possible reasons and they go hand in hand. One is the language barrier and two is the fear factor. Many of the older, first generation newcomers still speak in their native tongue. While they are victimized at a higher rate than the general public, the crimes often go unreported. Why? Because many escaped terrible conditions in their homeland and fear police contact may jeopardize their newfound freedom in the US. Culturally, there is a strict honor code among them, especially the elders, and if the young bring dishonor to the family it would not be unusual for the family to sever ties. Unfortunately that is happening with a lot of the young Asian males who are trying to fit in and in doing so get in over their heads with some pretty bad people. In an attempt to spare the younger siblings the same downfall the parents seem to have no choice but to sever ties. Some of the kids find their way back, maybe this young man was trying, but far too many are lost forever to the streets. Just some food for thought.

Last edited:
Yeah, that all seems likely to me.

I know people in Boston often use the 617 area code as part of tattoos and t-shirt designs, especially with "Boston Strong" and similar slogans. The suburbs, which are a different area code, not so much. It's a thing I associate strongly with urban areas.

Having worked in LE, I'm sure that investigators in Cook County have already been in contact with gang unit detectives in Akron. They would most likely be aware of who he was had he been a known gang member, as they keep detailed records in this regard. Because of this, I suspect he was not a gang member at all.

That might be possible, but I've watched so many reality-crime series and have accepted that some times detectives/LE/etc. make mistakes, things are unintentionally missed even with interviews, and when a crime involves more than one city/county/etc. that increases the likelihood of investigators missing important clues and not having good communication between departments.

I still have a feeling he might be at least loosely gang related only because of a few names that have popped up as possible connections to rubber city boy. They are in jail, murdered, and also missing. Too much of a coincidence.

Having worked in LE, I'm sure that investigators in Cook County have already been in contact with gang unit detectives in Akron. They would most likely be aware of who he was had he been a known gang member, as they keep detailed records in this regard. Because of this, I suspect he was not a gang member at all.

Having worked in the criminal justice system in Akron for the past 29 years (and counting) I agree with you, Cook Co undoubtedly has contacted Akron to compare notes. Akron's Gang/Street Crime Unit is top notch. The amount of intelligence they've gathered on local gang members is mind boggling. I had an opportunity to attend numerous trainings put on by that unit. It used to be fairly easy to identify gang members by their associates, colors, flags, bandanas and tattoos all of which were meant to advertise their gang affiliation. Not so easy these days as members are getting smart and not "dressing" the part not only to conceal and deceive LEOs but also as a means of self preservation. The gang unit will be the first to tell you it is not so easy to identify the "wannabes" as gang members because "the group" may not even fit the criteria as being identified as a gang. Does that mean these kids aren't on the LEOs radar? No, not at all. I imagine you're aware that a lot of intel is gathered when an arrest is made. When booked into our local jail, photos are taken of all tattoos, gang affiliation is usually learned, especially if one gang member doesn't want to be housed in a rival's pod. Not so easy to identify those who run under the radar of law enforcement and have not been arrested. If Rubber City Boy avoided police contact/arrest it would shed light on why he is still a John Doe. Just my thought on it.

That might be possible, but I've watched so many reality-crime series and have accepted that some times detectives/LE/etc. make mistakes, things are unintentionally missed even with interviews, and when a crime involves more than one city/county/etc. that increases the likelihood of investigators missing important clues and not having good communication between departments.

I still have a feeling he might be at least loosely gang related only because of a few names that have popped up as possible connections to rubber city boy. They are in jail, murdered, and also missing. Too much of a coincidence.

Speaking of names seen in this forum, I had to wonder if it is a coincidence Akron lost an exceptional man this last week. A man that shared a name brought up in this forum. The city is in an uproar over his murder. He was a good man. He was approached and executed by 2 men, shot in the head, while his family looked on. There were 9 shootings in Akron this past weekend, 6 homicides. A record for our city in such a short time frame. It rings of gang wars and retaliatory killings. Unfortunately, Mr. Bonn Rassavong, a Laos native and friend to many was the man killed that has everyone wanting to know why. Hopefully an answer comes to light.

Last edited:
Speaking of names seen in this forum, I had to wonder if it is a coincidence Akron lost an exceptional man this last week. A man that shared a name brought up in this forum. The city is in an uproar over his murder. He was a good man. He was approached and executed by 2 men, shot in the head, while his family looked on. There were 9 shootings in Akron this past weekend, 6 homicides. A record for our city in such a short time frame. It rings of gang wars and retaliatory killings. Unfortunately, Mr. Bonn Rassavong, a Laos native and friend to many was the man killed that has everyone wanting to know why. Hopefully an answer comes to light.

In following Websleuths policies I won't say the names, but yes, it's those names again. Once again this seems too coincidental.
My heart goes out to his family, what a horror to witness someone you love being shot and killed in your presence.

I’ve always assumed that his early tattoos look prison but the older ones look more professional. If he was in a gang or involved with police I think it was as a juvenile and his record is sealed or destroyed. Which is why his older tattoos may have cost some money. However some of the articles I’ve read regarding the police in Akron and Cleveland wasn’t the most positive. If he was in the NFL gang as mentioned before wouldn’t that have made his highschool East High? If he was from Laffer.

I’ve always assumed that his early tattoos look prison but the older ones look more professional. If he was in a gang or involved with police I think it was as a juvenile and his record is sealed or destroyed. Which is why his older tattoos may have cost some money. However some of the articles I’ve read regarding the police in Akron and Cleveland wasn’t the most positive. If he was in the NFL gang as mentioned before wouldn’t that have made his highschool East High? If he was from Laffer.
The "gang" originated on Laffer but many of the kids running with that crowd came from neighboring areas. Data reported by the school district for 2015 said the student body at East was made up of 1% Asian students. Given North's student body being predominately Asian I'd think it was more likely he attended North.

The "gang" originated on Laffer but many of the kids running with that crowd came from neighboring areas. Data reported by the school district for 2015 said the student body at East was made up of 1% Asian students. Given North's student body being predominately Asian I'd think it was more likely he attended North.
Excellent point

More supporting evidence of close Akron connection. Below is a link to a public page that shows the most common rendering of Akron's skyline compared to the tattoo this young man had.

Rubber City boys tattoo of the skyline from NamUs can be viewed here: (graphic content)

https://www.namus.gov/api/CaseSets/NamUs/UnidentifiedPersons/Cases/14122/Images/36632/Original

Below is one of the most common renderings of the Akron skyline. Note the resemblance, especially the building to far right and the blimp which appears in sky in both the tattoo and photo. https://www.cbhunter.com/US/OH/Akron

I am very much convinced this man is not Asian at all, but Hispanic with Native ancestry. Why would an Asian man have tattoos that connect him to Latino gangs?
There was already past discussions about why an Asian person would have the "Latino gang" tattoos and associations, it made sense. This thread is long, but if you can find the posts there are some good reasoning from people who lived in the area or have knowledge about gangs.
Also, it was tests that determined he was Asian (if I remember correctly).

There was already past discussions about why an Asian person would have the "Latino gang" tattoos and associations, it made sense. This thread is long, but if you can find the posts there are some good reasoning from people who lived in the area or have knowledge about gangs.
Also, it was tests that determined he was Asian (if I remember correctly).
I am not aware of any test they performed. I thought they were going based on his appearance. I don’t think any race could really be ruled out beyond being considered African American. I do think he could be considered mixed. I have leaned towards Asian or Hispanic because I think his family may be afraid to report him missing due to deportation issues. Either that or he had lots of legal issues in life and they had cut ties with him.

If Ohio is anything like the Boston area, those tats don't necessarily imply any gang connection at all. They're just hometown loyalty. They might be gang related, of course, but woudn't have to be.

One problem about "race" is that it's a social construct, not a physical reality. Looking at his genes or physical appearance might tell us he had characteristics we assign to one group or another, but what he looked like doesn't tell us anything about how he felt about it or what group he identified with. Especially if he was from a mixed background or lived in a mixed neighborhood.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back