CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
<snipped broken quote>

I have been following this case from the beginning and the first thing that came to my mind that it was some type of hate crime. That the shooter either thought the BIL and TB were a gay couple or the fact that the kids are half Asian. I don't know about the BIL if he is Asian or not. I hope I quoted the poster okay, I wasn't too sure how to quote a long post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand how a shot could have come from #3 or #4, since the trees are in the way and both tents were hunkered into trees.

Perhaps the most likely scenario is #5: the shooter was in site(s) #49-#51.

Also, a shot could have come from site #50.

I based #3 and #4 on footage from several videos of the scene. Here are a couple:

timestamp 0:21

timestamp 0:40

I was in LA for most of last week.

There is a sort-of awareness about the shootings. Most people had heard something about the murder; almost no one had heard that there had been multiple shootings in the park area over the last two years.

There is confusion about whether people should use the park, if they should call their parents who live nearby and make sure they don't go hiking there, etc.

There is much disbelief when people learn that there are no warnings posted near or in the park.

One question that gets asked is what kind of weapon is involved. The answer to that is, of course, that LE isn't saying. This triggers more disbelief and also outrage.

I'll add that one of the places in which I discussed the murder and shootings was in the offices of a well-known news network. Most of the workers were quite unaware but one person had been very interested because she has family very close to the park. She was alarmed by the lack of info available.

I almost went out to the park myself and will probably venture out on my next trip in a couple of weeks.

I was in LA for most of last week.

There is a sort-of awareness about the shootings. Most people had heard something about the murder; almost no one had heard that there had been multiple shootings in the park area over the last two years.

There is confusion about whether people should use the park, if they should call their parents who live nearby and make sure they don't go hiking there, etc.

There is much disbelief when people learn that there are no warnings posted near or in the park.

One question that gets asked is what kind of weapon is involved. The answer to that is, of course, that LE isn't saying. This triggers more disbelief and also outrage.

I'll add that one of the places in which I discussed the murder and shootings was in the offices of a well-known news network. Most of the workers were quite unaware but one person had been very interested because she has family very close to the park. She was alarmed by the lack of info available.

I almost went out to the park myself and will probably venture out on my next trip in a couple of weeks.
Maybe you should wear a bullet proof vest and a helmet. :( :eek:

In my experience, a "camp host" is usually a couple, often full-time RV-ers with ALOT of campground experience. A couple of times I've had a single male host, but never a single woman (I've slept maybe 500 nights in public campgrounds.)
Here's April 2018 photo of a MCSP Camp Host from Yelp Reviewer : Malibu Creek State Park photos

Here's the job posting for Camp Host in general at MCSP: Malibu Creek State Park
"We are fully staffed with winter hosts for 2018
. Interested individuals may still submit applications; however due to the high number of applications, email inquires may not be answered. Thank you. Most site utilities include water, electric, sewer, and telephone options. Camp host duties include assisting the public, and light maintenance (about 20 hours per week). Host must provide durable camping equipment to withstand inclement weather for extended time. Three to six months stay required. Please contact Ranger Lee Hawkins at lee.hawkins@parks.ca.gov." Campground and Park Hosts

I do not know who the MCSP Camp Host was on 6/21/18 to 6/22/18.

Allow me to present some thoughts revolving around a hypothetical scenario of a person with a sociopathic personality disorder who comes from a family of significant wealth and status.
The family can afford the highest level of private psychological therapy available, which may have helped to moderate the subject's hostile tendencies - yet cannot halt the inevitable progression towards destructive acts coded into the warped personality.
The parents take a predictable stance which is to remain concerned, protective and hopeful in regards to their now adult age "black sheep" offspring.
They can afford to house the subject nearby and accessible in distance, yet also effectively isolated from contact with normal family activities and normal community interaction, because inclusion always leads to stressful and potentialy violent confrontations and social embarrassment.
The parents stewardship also involves a significant element of protecting the subject from suffering the normal consequences of his own actions, because those punishments cannot deter his pathological tendencies.
Wealth, status and influence tend to go hand-in-hand in most places, Malibu/Callabassas/Los Angeles certainly no exception.
Consider the 1999 incident involving 19 year old Scott Sterling and his 19 yr.old friend Philip Sheid.
Sterling was the the youngest child of billionaire Donald and Shelley Sterling.
Sterling and Scheid had an altercation over their rivalry for the affections of a young actress which led to Sterling injuring Scheid with a shotgun blast as he fled down the driveway of Sterling's Beverly Hill's mansion.
Although police investigators recommended Scott Sterling be charged with attempted murder, no charges whatsoever were ever filed.
Many observers attribute this to his father Donald Sterling's exertion of influence within the local law enforcement, political, and district attorney establishment. In addition, Sterling had the financial means to compensate the injured friend for a very satisfactory, undisclosed sum.
Scott Sterling eventually succumbed to a drug overdose at age 31 in the Malibu beach home his parents had provided for him.
Obviously, wealth can have significant impact to shield or exempt one from normal consequences of criminal conduct. However, that power is not absolute. Scott Sterling injured Scheid with a shotgun, but he did not kill or permanently disable his friend.
Family wealth cannot shield the perpetrator of Mr. Beaudette's murder from an eventual reckoning with the machinery of our criminal justice system. However, if that was the same person responsible for the other shooting incidents under consideration for the MCSP and environs - then wealth and status could have worked to diffuse a potential investigation by the local sheriffs substation. It could have worked to scuttle a misdemeanor arrest or criminal complaint from becoming a written report on the record and instead have it take the form of an off-the-record courtesy "warning".
If that turns out to be an accurate reflection of circumstances preceding the Beaudette shooting, then it introduces layers of complexity on to the task of resolving this crime of murder in MCSP.
Because the situation already includes a community which feels resentful that the Sheriff was negligent in issuing warnings about the safety situation. That level of anger will rise considerably if its revealed that one or more of the prior incidents was given a pass.
But in the case where the perpetrator is a "black sheep" shielded by wealthy family resources, as opposed to someone of average means, the necessity becomes greater than ever to revisit and correct the handling of the prior incidents. And that would probably involve admission by the Sheriff of subpar and unacceptable conduct by personnel at Malibu/Lost Hills Station. It would probably involve reprimand, discipline or firing of at least one or more sheriff personnel.
Ultimately, any failure by a sheriff deputy is a failure by the man at the top of the organization. I make that note so we can examine another layer of complexity draped over this investigation.
Less than 3 weeks prior to the shooting death at MCSP, a primary election was held in California.
The biggest surprise in Los Angeles County was that incumbent Sheriff Jim McDonnell failed to garner more than 50% of votes in a race against two underfunded and relatively unknown challengers.
Sheriff McDonnell was forced into a November 2018 run-off to hold his position as Sheriff for the next 4 years.
Although Mr. Beaudette's murder is only one of many that will be recorded across the width and breadth of Los Angeles County, the political repercussions for Sheriff McDonnell amplify at logarithmically greater levels than the rest.
Dissatisfaction with Sheriff McDonnell's prior record of leadership is mildest in the wealthier suburban communities such as Malibu and Calabassas.
Confidence in McDonnell's capability has been greatest among highly educated and upper middle class professionals who can identify themselves with the lifestyle of Tristan Beaudette.
Progress in handling this investigation is going to be crucial for Sheriff McDonnell to retain the support of voters from the named demographics. But making that progress may entail an admission of past failures.
While there is relative silence coming out of Sheriff HeadQuarters regarding the MCSP shooting investigation, in my opinion - the activity related to navigating the investigation and its presentation to the public is going on behind closed doors at unprecedented levels.

Brilliant post. The first half reminds me of the case of Cosmo Dinardo.

I posted photos in order to provide clarification for this statement:

I couldn't find a post where anyone claimed there was forest.

I'm unclear why annoyance is called for.
Oh wow! I'm So sorry. I sound really pissed off - and I wasn't at all. Ugh. Shall I take my response down or leave it up as penance? I just wanted to say that yes there are trees, but there are not a lot of them so unless someone was hiding behind a few they would most likely be seen running away. Except never mind, bc it was nighttime - which.....I wonder if anyone saw a flashlight considering someone outside would have needed it. Anyhow, I'm really disappointed in myself that I wrote something so hostile. :( I only just came on after a few days - so I apologize.

Last edited:
Sounds just like some, maybe most of the school shooters. Sounds *Just* like the kid who shot all the children in Connecticut. His parents knew - but there is nowhere to put him bc our mental healthcare system is so broken. There are so many of these people wandering around and there's nothing that can be done unless or until they break the law - at which point people could be dead. Your first part of the description reminded me of 'Incels'. There's a Huge moment of entitled young guys who have started a kind of movement. They call themselves Incels - Involuntarily Celibate. They're all socially awkward and very pissed off. They have already killed women. I'm just thinking out loud. I think it's very likely that the person/people who did this will have some kind of record - but it's just as likely that they finally acted on their impulses for the first time. They're all over and they are angry and dangerous....especially to women.
Brilliant post. The first half reminds me of the case of Cosmo Dinardo.

Oh wow! I'm So sorry. I sound really pissed off - and I wasn't at all. Ugh. Shall I take my response down or leave it up as penance? I just wanted to say that yes there are trees, but there are not a lot of them so unless someone was hiding behind a few they would most likely be seen running away. Except never mind, bc it was nighttime - which.....I wonder if anyone saw a flashlight considering someone outside would have needed it. Anyhow, I'm really disappointed in myself that I wrote something so hostile. :( I only just came on after a few days - so I apologize.

No worries.

I suppose it's possible (but I've never used one so I'm not sure) that a person could use a headlamp with a red light to get around at night. This is not a strobe light, but a focused light that is used by hunters and others, like campers who want to read in their tents without waking up tent-mates.

Sounds just like some, maybe most of the school shooters. Sounds *Just* like the kid who shot all the children in Connecticut. His parents knew - but there is nowhere to put him bc our mental healthcare system is so broken. There are so many of these people wandering around and there's nothing that can be done unless or until they break the law - at which point people could be dead. Your first part of the description reminded me of 'Incels'. There's a Huge moment of entitled young guys who have started a kind of movement. They call themselves Incels - Involuntarily Celibate. They're all socially awkward and very pissed off. They have already killed women. I'm just thinking out loud. I think it's very likely that the person/people who did this will have some kind of record - but it's just as likely that they finally acted on their impulses for the first time. They're all over and they are angry and dangerous....especially to women.

There was a mass murder recently by an Incel in Canada (?).

No worries.

I suppose it's possible (but I've never used one so I'm not sure) that a person could use a headlamp with a red light to get around at night. This is not a strobe light, but a focused light that is used by hunters and others, like campers who want to read in their tents without waking up tent-mates.

Those are very effective. I've used them. I've also seen blue ones that are even harder to see from a distance, though I've never used one to know how effective they are.

At that time of morning it's already less than pitch black and somebody whose eyes have adjusted and who is familiar with the terrain might not have any trouble navigating without a light. That's why I was kind of harping about the trees--not whether they're thick enough to hide him but whether they're thick enough to block light. It sounds like probably not.

But also, there's nothing unusual about somebody moving around a campground with a headlamp or flashlight in the middle of the night. Anybody who sees you would just assume you were on your way to/from the bathroom or needed to get something out of your car or something.

Wait a minute.. opportunity..distance..the type of weapon used..the distance theorised ..shooter from victim..(and how would a sniper be able to pick off someone..in the head from a distance ..would it not require alot of hiking about in alot of darkness..was the tent open..could one see a persons silhouette from a distance? And then too,investigators ..if the theory is a sniper..need to recreate scene and ascertain perhaps at which point,hilltop,whatever would a sniper have been likely to be shooting from..and would the light or lack of light at time of shooting not only prove to be problematic..or not..would hiking around to reach that point,hilltop or whatever be easy to reach with minimal light ..easy to flee ..) would a powerful weapon ..ie shotgun echo in the campground? and cause such a loud noise as to roust everybody? ..I feel somehow that this shooting was not related to the other reports of shots fired.i believe that this was by someone whom the victim knew.i believe that ( I am not blaming victim!)..I believe that the person responsible was someone he worked with who he had a profound affect on both their personal and professional life..I am curious to know when was he discovered shot?and how and by whom?were his two daughters crying and in fear approached neighboring campers for help?did anyone hear the shots and then suddenly discover him shot? Was there anything extraordinarily strange or unusual about anyone or anything at that campsite ..weeks ,days,hours,whatever ..prior to shooting?are there any homes located close by in which a sniper could employ their expertise or weaponry from..

No worries.

Ugh. Thinking of the person as a 'hunter' is nauseating. But, it's the right word most likely.

Allow me to present some thoughts revolving around a hypothetical scenario of a person with a sociopathic personality disorder who comes from a family of significant wealth and status.
The family can afford the highest level of private psychological therapy available, which may have helped to moderate the subject's hostile tendencies - yet cannot halt the inevitable progression towards destructive acts coded into the warped personality.
The parents take a predictable stance which is to remain concerned, protective and hopeful in regards to their now adult age "black sheep" offspring.
They can afford to house the subject nearby and accessible in distance, yet also effectively isolated from contact with normal family activities and normal community interaction, because inclusion always leads to stressful and potentialy violent confrontations and social embarrassment.
The parents stewardship also involves a significant element of protecting the subject from suffering the normal consequences of his own actions, because those punishments cannot deter his pathological tendencies.
Wealth, status and influence tend to go hand-in-hand in most places, Malibu/Callabassas/Los Angeles certainly no exception.
Consider the 1999 incident involving 19 year old Scott Sterling and his 19 yr.old friend Philip Sheid.
Sterling was the the youngest child of billionaire Donald and Shelley Sterling.
Sterling and Scheid had an altercation over their rivalry for the affections of a young actress which led to Sterling injuring Scheid with a shotgun blast as he fled down the driveway of Sterling's Beverly Hill's mansion.
Although police investigators recommended Scott Sterling be charged with attempted murder, no charges whatsoever were ever filed.
Many observers attribute this to his father Donald Sterling's exertion of influence within the local law enforcement, political, and district attorney establishment. In addition, Sterling had the financial means to compensate the injured friend for a very satisfactory, undisclosed sum.
Scott Sterling eventually succumbed to a drug overdose at age 31 in the Malibu beach home his parents had provided for him.
Obviously, wealth can have significant impact to shield or exempt one from normal consequences of criminal conduct. However, that power is not absolute. Scott Sterling injured Scheid with a shotgun, but he did not kill or permanently disable his friend.
Family wealth cannot shield the perpetrator of Mr. Beaudette's murder from an eventual reckoning with the machinery of our criminal justice system. However, if that was the same person responsible for the other shooting incidents under consideration for the MCSP and environs - then wealth and status could have worked to diffuse a potential investigation by the local sheriffs substation. It could have worked to scuttle a misdemeanor arrest or criminal complaint from becoming a written report on the record and instead have it take the form of an off-the-record courtesy "warning".
If that turns out to be an accurate reflection of circumstances preceding the Beaudette shooting, then it introduces layers of complexity on to the task of resolving this crime of murder in MCSP.
Because the situation already includes a community which feels resentful that the Sheriff was negligent in issuing warnings about the safety situation. That level of anger will rise considerably if its revealed that one or more of the prior incidents was given a pass.
But in the case where the perpetrator is a "black sheep" shielded by wealthy family resources, as opposed to someone of average means, the necessity becomes greater than ever to revisit and correct the handling of the prior incidents. And that would probably involve admission by the Sheriff of subpar and unacceptable conduct by personnel at Malibu/Lost Hills Station. It would probably involve reprimand, discipline or firing of at least one or more sheriff personnel.
Ultimately, any failure by a sheriff deputy is a failure by the man at the top of the organization. I make that note so we can examine another layer of complexity draped over this investigation.
Less than 3 weeks prior to the shooting death at MCSP, a primary election was held in California.
The biggest surprise in Los Angeles County was that incumbent Sheriff Jim McDonnell failed to garner more than 50% of votes in a race against two underfunded and relatively unknown challengers.
Sheriff McDonnell was forced into a November 2018 run-off to hold his position as Sheriff for the next 4 years.
Although Mr. Beaudette's murder is only one of many that will be recorded across the width and breadth of Los Angeles County, the political repercussions for Sheriff McDonnell amplify at logarithmically greater levels than the rest.
Dissatisfaction with Sheriff McDonnell's prior record of leadership is mildest in the wealthier suburban communities such as Malibu and Calabassas.
Confidence in McDonnell's capability has been greatest among highly educated and upper middle class professionals who can identify themselves with the lifestyle of Tristan Beaudette.
Progress in handling this investigation is going to be crucial for Sheriff McDonnell to retain the support of voters from the named demographics. But making that progress may entail an admission of past failures.
While there is relative silence coming out of Sheriff HeadQuarters regarding the MCSP shooting investigation, in my opinion - the activity related to navigating the investigation and its presentation to the public is going on behind closed doors at unprecedented levels.

I've worked with people who assumed they would never get fired due to connections/wealth. One was fired. The other quit after his inflated ego was deflated.

If s'mores code's hypothesis is correct, this person's arrogance should catch up to him (or her). Time wounds all heels. Let's hope and pray the perp. is caught soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks