CA CA - Diane Dye, 13, San Jose, 30 July 1979

I am going to be out of town for a few days but when I get back I will try to scan and post some of the documents from the paperwork I got. It is a criminal record which is completely public so there shouldn't be any problem with posting them.

I also wanted to clarify on my last post that the car was recovered, IIRC, without anyone in it so it doesn't really help as far as when Doug was arrested, unfortunately.

I will try to be around more, I really want to be, there has just been so much going on. I wish I could do this full time.

I'm really hoping that Odyssey finds proof that Doug WAS in jail when Diane went missing.....which to me would increase the chance of her being alive!

I am going to be out of town for a few days but when I get back I will try to scan and post some of the documents from the paperwork I got. It is a criminal record which is completely public so there shouldn't be any problem with posting them.

I also wanted to clarify on my last post that the car was recovered, IIRC, without anyone in it so it doesn't really help as far as when Doug was arrested, unfortunately.

I will try to be around more, I really want to be, there has just been so much going on. I wish I could do this full time.

Nice to see you again. Hoping your life slows down long enough so that you can get back here.

So many people love and miss you very much, Diane. Please come back if you can.

Hey, all...I've been reading this thread with fascination. Unlike so many of these unfortunate cases, it really feels as if the answer should be right around the corner, one lucky move away.

I'd like to believe that Diane is out there. Some people, no matter how much they're loved, can come to believe that they're not missed or that they've done something so wrong that they have to leave their old lives behind. OK, that's JMO, and I've led a pretty sedate life, so I'm not speaking from experience.

I'm very moved by all of the love on this thread as well. :loveyou:

Something made this very young girl leave and never come back. What happened that was so disturbing to her that she would never return? I can only speculate, but I think it would be useful to ask her now adult best friends that question. It might provide a lot of answers.

Bumping for Diane. This is a solvable case...so why, I wonder, hasn't it been?

Can anyone find any news articles about Diane's sightings?

I have been searching and can only find one article about when it was believed she was princess doe. I've read some things interesting about her case that I can't find anywhere else in a valid source.

I want to find out more about:
  • who Doug is- Diane is stated to have been associated with him. He was involved in criminal activity from what I could find.
  • the sightings:
  • the 1981 at the Serramonte Mall in Daly City, California sighted by a former classmate.
    (all below no dates listed)
    [*]the jack in the box
    [*]Felder Drive
    [*]Weimar, California
    [*]Atlantic City, Georgia working as a hotel worker​
  • June 2016 grocery store sighting- the most recent that I want to know more about which was sighted by her own sister. Supposedly as soon as the person who resembled Diane made eye contact with Diane's sister she quickly left the store. If this was last year, why can't I find it anywhere!?

I just want validation to these sightings since I can't find any of them in valid sources. Thank you in advance!

I have been searching and can only find one article about when it was believed she was princess doe. I've read some things interesting about her case that I can't find anywhere else in a valid source.

• Who Doug is- Diane is stated to have been associated with him. He was involved in criminal activity from what I could find.
  • About all the sightings- (1) the 1981 at the Serramonte Mall in Daly City, California sighted by a former classmate. (2) the jack in the box (3) Felder Drive (4) Weimar, California where the tipper claimed to have spent time with her (5) Multiple sightings in Atlantic City, Georgia working as a hotel worker (6) June 2016 grocery store sighting- the most recent that I want to know more about which was sighted by her own sister. Supposedly as soon as the person who resembled Diane made eye contact with Diane's sister she quickly left the store. If this was last year, why can't I find it anywhere!?

I just want validation to these sightings since I can't find any of them in valid sources. Thank you in advance!

• Who Doug is- Diane is stated to have been associated with him. He was involved in criminal activity from what I could find.
  • About all the sightings- (1) the 1981 at the Serramonte Mall in Daly City, California sighted by a former classmate. (2) the jack in the box (3) Felder Drive (4) Weimar, California where the tipper claimed to have spent time with her (5) Multiple sightings in Atlantic City, Georgia working as a hotel worker (6) June 2016 grocery store sighting- the most recent that I want to know more about which was sighted by her own sister. Supposedly as soon as the person who resembled Diane made eye contact with Diane's sister she quickly left the store. If this was last year, why can't I find it anywhere!?

Hi,

I am a verified insider on this case, as I have contact with her family and access to some of the documents. A lot of this is not in the media, there has been very little publicity. I'll try to answer your questions the best I can.

Doug was an older teen (18) that she apparently had a crush on, she was not supposed to be associating with him due to his criminal activity. He was arrested on an unrelated charge within a couple days of her disappearance and was not released until November. He behaved strangely after her disappearance, claiming he went to the school immediately to ask the principal if he had seen her, but of course school was out for summer and nobody was there. Stuff like that.

The sightings: the Serramonte Mall sighting was in fact given to police by a classmate, but I do not think it is credible. (Just my opinion)

The sightings at Jack In The Box and Felder Drive I do believe could be credible, these places are in her neighborhood and the sightings were just after her disappearance. The sightings came from people who knew her personally.

The Weimar connection, I don't believe was a sighting but a note she had with the name and address of a person in Weimar. I've not seen any claim that she was ever seen there.

The 2016 sighting was a family friend and I don't really think it was her but maybe someone who looks similar. The person who thought they saw her is Ted, who has posted in this thread.

The New Jersey/Atlantic City sightings were much after her disappearance and people going by her 7th grade photo so I don't really buy those either.

Sorry I've been quiet on this lately. Been waiting on LE to take some actions but it keeps being put off.

Hope this helps though.

Hi,

I am a verified insider on this case, as I have contact with her family and access to some of the documents. A lot of this is not in the media, there has been very little publicity. I'll try to answer your questions the best I can.

Doug was an older teen (18) that she apparently had a crush on, she was not supposed to be associating with him due to his criminal activity. He was arrested on an unrelated charge within a couple days of her disappearance and was not released until November. He behaved strangely after her disappearance, claiming he went to the school immediately to ask the principal if he had seen her, but of course school was out for summer and nobody was there. Stuff like that.

The sightings: the Serramonte Mall sighting was in fact given to police by a classmate, but I do not think it is credible. (Just my opinion)

The sightings at Jack In The Box and Felder Drive I do believe could be credible, these places are in her neighborhood and the sightings were just after her disappearance. The sightings came from people who knew her personally.

The Weimar connection, I don't believe was a sighting but a note she had with the name and address of a person in Weimar. I've not seen any claim that she was ever seen there.

The 2016 sighting was a family friend and I don't really think it was her but maybe someone who looks similar. The person who thought they saw her is Ted, who has posted in this thread.

The New Jersey/Atlantic City sightings were much after her disappearance and people going by her 7th grade photo so I don't really buy those either.

Sorry I've been quiet on this lately. Been waiting on LE to take some actions but it keeps being put off.

Hope this helps though.

Thank you so much Odyssey!

I am baffled her case got such little publicity since it's the disappearance of a child. I did find one newspaper clipping from a Florida newspaper in 1986. It was the only one I could find not mentioning the Princess Doe case.

I agree with the Serramonte mall sighting possibly not being credible. What they claim Diane said to them in a psychology aspect doesn't seem like something someone would say if they wanted to stay missing IMO. I see them avoiding anyone that they may have known before they went missing to stay hidden with certainty. I noticed this sighting is the one on her case file in the missing persons databases, which has it's flaws since it lists the person as a friend instead of classmate making the sighting seem more credible by their association, and also that it furthers the notion that she was a runaway which we don't know with 100% certainty. (sorry for rambling!)

I got the 2016 sighting from Diane's wiki profile, which is why I had my doubts. Thank you again for clearing some things up!

With Doug, was he ever investigated in Diane's case and ruled out? IMO Being forbid to see him might have made him more appealing to her, especially if she had a crush on him. I personally am suspicious about Doug.

As an insider, what are your theories to what happened to Diane? Do you think she voluntarily left or was abducted?

I am pretty certain that she was a runaway, at least initially. She told at least three different people she was going to run away for a couple days. I think she hoped it would stop her parents from divorcing but I don't think she planned on staying away. I think something happened to her soon after she left.

Doug was looked into, but there really wasn't much of an investigation at all until they thought she might be Princess Doe. It was actually New Jersey LE that came to California and did a more thorough investigation, trying to link her to their UID. Unfortunately, this was several years after her disappearance. Doug denied any involvement but he gave inconsistent statements.

The Jack in the Box and Felder Road sightings were told to Diane's father and the people who said they saw her were neighbors that knew her. At least one of them told Diane's father that she had reported it to police but there was no indication that they ever followed up on it.

The other sightings were given to police years later when New Jersey was interviewing people. That's why I don't find them as credible as the ones that were reported right when it happened.

I have read this entire thread...WOW. Only thing that confuses me is she wanted her parents back together, yet her mom had a boyfriend and it was him that claims she went out the garage door. Did he know that she wanted her parents back together and felt that he was stopping them and maybe those 2 got into it?

That's a possibility though I don't think it's all that likely.

This is just my opinion and what makes the most sense to me but I'm basing it on things that were said years later.

I think her mom's boyfriend did see her leave through the garage but I think she came back after that and he wasn't there.

Ted said he was there in the evening, he had been hanging out with Dean (Diane's brother) and he dozed off. He woke up and didn't see anyone and thought he was alone in the house. He said he heard something on the front porch, he went out there and Diane was there talking about running away. He thought he'd talked her out of it and he went home.

When the NJ police got involved they spoke to her mom's boyfriend but they couldn't find Ted because he was living out of state at the time, so teds account of seeing her after that was not looked at by police.

I don't know if anyone else has posted this as a possibility yet.

https://identifyus.org/cases/4370
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1225ufca.html

unidentified white female found on Aug 26 1980 (estimated time of death 1979-1980)
15-20 years old (Diane would have been 14 yrs old in Nov 1979)
5'4-5'8 (Diane was 5'2; however, I give and take height from younger individuals due to puberty growth spurts. Girls typically reach their adult height around 15 years old)
found in Newhall CA. (over 4 hours away from San Jose)

only thing is the craniotomy and Diane's previous fracture in her left arm.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back