Thailand - FOUND ALIVE - 12 Boys And Coach Rescued from Cave, 23 June 2018 #6

The two Australians who helped the Thai football team escape safely from a flooded cave were given diplomatic immunity in case anything went wrong during the rescue, Four Corners can reveal.
Retired Perth vet Craig Challen worked closely with his friend and fellow expert cave diver, Adelaide anaesthetist Dr Richard "Harry" Harris, to medically assess the boys and their coach and get them ready for the rescue operation.
An official source confirmed to Four Corners that Dr Challen and Dr Harris were given diplomatic immunity ahead of the risky mission, after negotiations between Australian and Thai Government officials.
Lots more details at the link: Australian divers given diplomatic immunity in case Thai cave rescue failed

A BRITISH diver has told of his terrifying brush with death while helping to rescue 12 boys trapped in a Thai cave with their coach. Chris Jewell was one of four British divers dubbed the “awesome foursome” after playing a key role in the daring rescue.
But it almost ended in disaster for the 35-year-old from Cheddar, Somerset, when he was guiding the second-to-last boy, who wore a fullface breathing mask, through the pitch black tunnels of the cave.
After losing his grip on the “dive line” he was using to navigate, Mr Jewell spent four horrific minutes adrift in the murky water.

He said: “I thought, ‘bit of a problem, but I’ll just reach up for it’ – I was sweeping with my arms to pick up the dive line but couldn’t find it.”

He eventually grabbed hold of an electric cable and followed it back into a chamber he had already passed through.

I nearly died in cave boys rescue, says British diver

Still amazed by everything wow just wow...

A snippet from above:

“We had asked the Thai Navy SEALs, 'Hey, we should probably get some kids that are around the same size, age and stature of the ones that we know are in there, and we should go put all this equipment on them, like, that, let's just really run this to the ground'," he said.

"The children were absolutely happy to help. We had divers and Thai children practising swimming underwater, practising handing them off."“

the kid-size submarine (which could be used for a future rescue) is part of THIS entire event. I imagine the 12 boys and their coach will be told about Elon Musk's efforts, and that they will likely be sincerely grateful for his efforts. I think they may even compose a group THANK YOU to him.
I agree about the mini-sub part ...I was just referring to the peripheral things. ;)
I'm sure our sweet little Oinkies will be thanking him...
Don't forget, he was also included in the lovely thank you poster:

image.jpg

MooPa ❤︎⚽❤️

Last edited:
Someone posted yesterday "Watch Four Corners' full report, Out Of The Dark, including exclusive interviews with key rescuers tomorrow, 8.30pm on ABC TV and ABC iView." so I was checking right now, and I cannot find it. Can anyone else? It should be on in a few minutes but I don't see it.

I think Saturday means the following weekend, July 21:

Out Of The Dark, reported by Mark Willacy and presented by Sarah Ferguson, goes
to air on Monday 16th July at 8.30pm. It is
replayed on Tuesday 17h July at 1.00pm
and Wednesday 18th at 11.20pm.

It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pmAEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

Last edited:
Still amazed by everything wow just wow...

A snippet from from above:

“We had asked the Thai Navy SEALs, 'Hey, we should probably get some kids that are around the same size, age and stature of the ones that we know are in there, and we should go put all this equipment on them, like, that, let's just really run this to the ground'," he said.

"The children were absolutely happy to help. We had divers and Thai children practising swimming underwater, practising handing them off."“

I agree Marg, It really is remarkable! IMO, these guys have proven with all their interviews so far that they were the best possible ones for this job-- they were calm and cautious, not charging in with a half-baked plan and hoping it would work. They were ever aware that the children's lives and their own lives were on the line. Their professionalism is displayed in how completely they thought through the problem and tested out possible solutions before risking anyone's life. These are real experts. If I'm ever trapped in a cave (or anywhere else that is hard to get to), I hope these guys are the ones sent to get me out. :D

Where have you seen that??

I like the British caver's response "he can stick his submarine where it hurts"

Sorry Musk, but whatever good you tried to do with your actions, you've undone it with your words.

Hi everyone! Sorry I've been quiet the last couple of days. I've needed some time to relax and focus on other things. I've still been following the news and all of your posts. So glad our Wild Boars, the coach and all the rescue personnel are doing well.

Just wanted to comment on the nastiness from Elon Musk. I am appalled that he'd make that sort of remark, and now it is clearly known that his "kiddie submarine" wouldn't have worked at all. (Maybe it could be used elsewhere, but for that cave complex? Nope.) I had a lot of goodwill towards him previously, and do not think this was a merely publicity gambit with him, but the "pedo" (sic) comment has just trashed any positive feelings I had. What a shame.

But yay! Our Wild Boars are out, and now we are learning more details. Fascinating stuff. It really was a miracle, IMO.The more details we get, the more jaw-dropping this all was.

Hope all of you I've gotten to know a bit over this situation are happy and doing well!

Last edited:
Elon Musk reminds me of someone else who also reacts very poorly to public criticism or not having his ego stroked 24/7 - jmo, of course. If you're interested you can look up other articles about his bizarre behavior, mistreatment of Tesla employees, and possible violations of labor laws.

I'm afraid I viewed his efforts regarding the Thai Cave Rescue as a misguided PR stunt from the start; these latest nasty remarks support my initial impression. I do think he wanted to help, but I get a sense of entitlement & ego from him as well.

Elon Musk calls British diver in Thai cave rescue 'pedo' in baseless attack

It wasn't just Unsworth he butted heads with, either.

The billionaire attracted controversy for his approach to the Thai rescue after Narongsak Osatanakorn, head of the joint command center, said the mini-submarine would not have been practical.

Musk responded by saying Osatanakorn was “not the subject matter expert” and that he had been “inaccurately described as rescue chief” and should have been labeled the “former Thai provincial governor”. Osatanakorn stepped down as Chiang Rai governor during the rescue, but was still acting as commander.

Why is it so important to prove his submarine would have worked? Is he going to try for a reenactment just because of his pride? Why can't he just be happy that the rescue effort was successful and that all the boys and coach got out safely, regardless of whether his latest toy was used or not?

Why is it so important to prove his submarine would have worked? Is he going to try for a reenactment just because of his pride? Why can't he just be happy that the rescue effort was successful and that all the boys and coach got out safely, regardless of whether his latest toy was used or not?

^^^ This. I can't agree more. This event was about the Wild Boars and what luckily became a miraculous occurrence. Musk's histrionics now that it is over is over the top and self-serving. I am ashamed for him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snugglebear
Back