CA CA - Anita Qvist, 13, San Francisco, 1 January 1979

I couldn't find a closer comparison than this side by side, and it's not close enough to do an overlay with--at least not with my level of skill.

Anita's head is tilted at an odd angle in both of her portraits. I had an artist friend who does portraits look at them and he thinks the angle is what makes her jaw look odd and off center--the side facing us appears more prominent because of the lighting and the foreshortening of the entire face. But he also thought that the unusual angle might be to try to minimize the appearance of an irregularity with her jaw.

As far as how her family could lose track of her--it's nice to think that all families are close and loving and try to keep track of her, but it's sadly not true for millions of people. Tens of thousands of kids every year are "throwaways," kicked out of their homes for lifestyle or behavior issues. Many more than that run away to escape violent, repressive, abusive, or otherwise intolerable situations. And many more just drift apart. There are financial issues, maybe health issues, younger kids at home needing attention, and the oldest can be gone a while before anybody really realizes they haven't been heard from for a while.

And in this day of electronic attachment, it's hard to visualize how difficult it was to keep track of each other then. We didn't have cell phones or email or anything that traveled with us like that. Phone numbers were attached to places. If you wanted to get hold of somebody who was maybe moving around or couldn't afford their own land line, you'd call the apartment office, or a friend, or a place of employment, and leave a message for them to call you back. And then maybe have to wait for the person to gather enough change to pay for a long distance call from a phone booth to call you back. Or you could send a postcard or letter and hope that if they had moved, the letter would get forwarded.

I know for a time the number my family had for me was a friend's number because I didn't want them to know I was living with my boyfriend. She'd say I was out and take a message, then call me at his place to deliver the message. That only lasted for a while but I can picture a lot of scenarios where I could have disappeared willingly or unwillingly and my family would have no idea where I had gone or why.

I couldn't find a closer comparison than this side by side, and it's not close enough to do an overlay with--at least not with my level of skill.

Anita's head is tilted at an odd angle in both of her portraits. I had an artist friend who does portraits look at them and he thinks the angle is what makes her jaw look odd and off center--the side facing us appears more prominent because of the lighting and the foreshortening of the entire face. But he also thought that the unusual angle might be to try to minimize the appearance of an irregularity with her jaw.

As far as how her family could lose track of her--it's nice to think that all families are close and loving and try to keep track of her, but it's sadly not true for millions of people. Tens of thousands of kids every year are "throwaways," kicked out of their homes for lifestyle or behavior issues. Many more than that run away to escape violent, repressive, abusive, or otherwise intolerable situations. And many more just drift apart. There are financial issues, maybe health issues, younger kids at home needing attention, and the oldest can be gone a while before anybody really realizes they haven't been heard from for a while.

And in this day of electronic attachment, it's hard to visualize how difficult it was to keep track of each other then. We didn't have cell phones or email or anything that traveled with us like that. Phone numbers were attached to places. If you wanted to get hold of somebody who was maybe moving around or couldn't afford their own land line, you'd call the apartment office, or a friend, or a place of employment, and leave a message for them to call you back. And then maybe have to wait for the person to gather enough change to pay for a long distance call from a phone booth to call you back. Or you could send a postcard or letter and hope that if they had moved, the letter would get forwarded.

I know for a time the number my family had for me was a friend's number because I didn't want them to know I was living with my boyfriend. She'd say I was out and take a message, then call me at his place to deliver the message. That only lasted for a while but I can picture a lot of scenarios where I could have disappeared willingly or unwillingly and my family would have no idea where I had gone or why.

But 40 years missing and only now a missing person's report? I was talking to my sister last night about this case, and she said it was probably because of a death in the family and the person could have been named as an heir and you have to file a missing person's report in order for the 7 year time lapse to start before the insurance company presumes them deceased.

I don't know about that kind of stuff, but this case kind of haunts me for both girls. I don't think they're the same. ElDorado looks a lot like my best friend in junior high who was Scottish/English, and Anita looks like she's from Iceland or another Scandinavian or Nordic country. Do we have any information on Anita's home life? Or what the phone call was about in 1984?

I hate to say it, but I can't help but think someone who knows what really happened to her is feeling guilty and reporting her missing now. You see that kind of thing on real crime tv shows, family members know the truth and it eats away at them even though they had nothing to do with the disappearance.

Perhaps we can get eagle eye Carl to look at the side by side.

While similar in look, I see the face shape very different, and space between bottom lip and chin different as well. However, the angle of the face in the pic on the left makes a comparison difficult.
It doesn’t look like a match to me, but Carl has the eye.
I kind of have a problem with the shape of the eyebrows too-but I'd sure love to see a really great comparison or overlay.

But 40 years missing and only now a missing person's report? I was talking to my sister last night about this case, and she said it was probably because of a death in the family and the person could have been named as an heir and you have to file a missing person's report in order for the 7 year time lapse to start before the insurance company presumes them deceased.

I don't know about that kind of stuff, but this case kind of haunts me for both girls. I don't think they're the same. ElDorado looks a lot like my best friend in junior high who was Scottish/English, and Anita looks like she's from Iceland or another Scandinavian or Nordic country. Do we have any information on Anita's home life? Or what the phone call was about in 1984?

I hate to say it, but I can't help but think someone who knows what really happened to her is feeling guilty and reporting her missing now. You see that kind of thing on real crime tv shows, family members know the truth and it eats away at them even though they had nothing to do with the disappearance.

Both her parents are deceased long ago (in 1984 and 1994-- there is speculation that someone in the family thinks they talked to Anita when one of her parents died but that is just specualtion). Her living family members are her siblings and would have been children themselves when Anita went missing. IMO, we can't blame them for not previously reporting her missing. Even an adult making the report in 1979 may not have been taken seriously. A lot of times in the 1970s and 1980s missing teens were dismissed as runaways and the police wouldn't take a report. Or if they did take one, it expired or was lost after a certain amount of time. And we have no idea what her siblings were told about Anita-- they may have been told she went to stay with someone or ran away on her own. Or they might have been under the mistaken impression that a missing report was filed previously and that may be why one was not filed until recently. Marcia King's (Buckskin Girl) siblings thought there was a missing report taken but no report was found. The important thing is that there is a report made now and Anita is in NAMUS. The important thing is finding Anita, not criticizing her family for something that likely happened when they were only kids themselves. JMO.

Both her parents are deceased long ago (in 1984 and 1994-- there is speculation that someone in the family thinks they talked to Anita when one of her parents died but that is just specualtion). Her living family members are her siblings and would have been children themselves when Anita went missing. IMO, we can't blame them for not previously reporting her missing. Even an adult making the report in 1979 may not have been taken seriously. A lot of times in the 1970s and 1980s missing teens were dismissed as runaways and the police wouldn't take a report. Or if they did take one, it expired or was lost after a certain amount of time. And we have no idea what her siblings were told about Anita-- they may have been told she went to stay with someone or ran away on her own. Or they might have been under the mistaken impression that a missing report was filed previously and that may be why one was not filed until recently. Marcia King's (Buckskin Girl) siblings thought there was a missing report taken but no report was found. The important thing is that there is a report made now and Anita is in NAMUS. The important thing is finding Anita, not criticizing her family for something that likely happened when they were only kids themselves. JMO.

I didn't mean to come off as insensitive, just very perplexed by this case. You made some good points about the circumstances that may have contributed to a report not being made previously. I guess it's a similar thing with ElDorado Jane, it's frustrating that her family members haven't plastered their town with missing posters. Every day that goes by is one day closer to memories fading. I've been following missing person's cases for years off and on and Im always so saddened that we can't bring them all home. I was very happy to hear about Marcia King and the Jason Callahan. I had just started following that case a couple of months before his identity was discovered.

I've been following ElDorado Jane for a while and hold out hope her identity will soon be found. She deserves to have her name back. So many beautiful pictures of her, and no name.

I didn't mean to come off as insensitive, just very perplexed by this case. You made some good points about the circumstances that may have contributed to a report not being made previously. I guess it's a similar thing with ElDorado Jane, it's frustrating that her family members haven't plastered their town with missing posters. Every day that goes by is one day closer to memories fading. I've been following missing person's cases for years off and on and Im always so saddened that we can't bring them all home. I was very happy to hear about Marcia King and the Jason Callahan. I had just started following that case a couple of months before his identity was discovered.

I've been following ElDorado Jane for a while and hold out hope her identity will soon be found. She deserves to have her name back. So many beautiful pictures of her, and no name.

Thanks and I hope you didn't think I was being rude. I'm a little sensitive about people questioning family members not reporting after what happened to Marcia King's family. I hope Anita will be found and I hope someday EDJD will be identified. And when their cases are finally solved I wish their families peace.

Thanks and I hope you didn't think I was being rude. I'm a little sensitive about people questioning family members not reporting after what happened to Marcia King's family. I hope Anita will be found and I hope someday EDJD will be identified. And when their cases are finally solved I wish their families peace.

I re-read my post and I can see it came off more insensitive than I intended and no, I didn't think you were rude. I will be more aware of how I phrase things.

I can offer a real life scenario that is a the very same as something you recently have heard.
In approximately 1981, my friend called to see if i had heard from her brother who had graduated from college in Indiana and moved to Fresno California. I had not. Her parents were on a cruise, and she lived in Florida. She sent her brother in California a letter, and it was returned moved, no forwarding address. She waited for her parents to return to Indiana, because what else was she going to do?
Her parents tried to make contact but were not successful. They called the Fresno police, who politely told them that he was over 21 and nothing they could do. This went on for several months, until they finally got a detective who said "oh all right, my wife would want someone to do the same for our kids, so he paid a visit to where this guy was living" Everyone claimed no knowledge. The detective investigated further, and found that the place where he had been renting, had not been fully cleaned out, the utility deposits had never been claimed. He ran the vin number and found the car, and found the person driving the car, only to be told he had been sold the car for $100.00 ..far less than it's value.

The detective thought it odd, but could not prove anything, so he told the family, that he would place an ad in the paper. He placed a full page ad, seeking information on the missing brother/son. Someone recognized the jacket that he was wearing in a family photo that had been placed in the paper. She called the detective, and admitted that she came upon a salvation army box that had been left in front of the building on a weekend. She took the jacket and had it in her possession. She was able to also describe some of his other things that had been left there.

The "case" went cold for 10 years. The family was always searching, never gave up, hired psychics and such, but nothing...at least not until they received a call from someone from San Louis Obispo. The coroner there had a friend in the State Department. The John Doe that he had 10 years prior had nagged at him, and he asked his friend at the State Department to help track down the doe's family.

Well, seems the brother, packed up his stuff, donated some, left other behind, (the detective sent the personal effects to the family). Jumped on a bus, went to San Louis Obispo, checked into a hotel under an assumed name, and committed suicide...same scenario (different method) as Lyle Stevik.

It was never a case that the family didn't look, it was more a case that he never wanted to be found. Since he was over 21, the family had a hard time getting someone to even talk to them, let alone make a report and start the legwork.

What a horribly sad ending. His poor family :(

The thing that bugs me about the Qvist case is that if the family heard from her in 1984 or 1994, then she was 21 or 31 and not a child, so why claim her as a missing child? What was in that communication (did she call or write, I don't know if anyone has confirmed which) that made them believe she was being held against her will or in danger? I would imagine if she was a victim of sex trafficking or kidnapped (like the girls in Pennsylvania) that that would make it a continuing crime since childhood so probably the reason they made this a missing child case.

Have they checked the prison system? Do they fingerprint juvenile delinguents when they're booked in juvenile hall? If she was a runaway she may have had other petty crimes that landed her in trouble. Maybe there is a juvenile record with prints they can compare to the fingerprint database.

I can offer a real life scenario that is a the very same as something you recently have heard.
In approximately 1981, my friend called to see if i had heard from her brother who had graduated from college in Indiana and moved to Fresno California. I had not. Her parents were on a cruise, and she lived in Florida. She sent her brother in California a letter, and it was returned moved, no forwarding address. She waited for her parents to return to Indiana, because what else was she going to do?
Her parents tried to make contact but were not successful. They called the Fresno police, who politely told them that he was over 21 and nothing they could do. This went on for several months, until they finally got a detective who said "oh all right, my wife would want someone to do the same for our kids, so he paid a visit to where this guy was living" Everyone claimed no knowledge. The detective investigated further, and found that the place where he had been renting, had not been fully cleaned out, the utility deposits had never been claimed. He ran the vin number and found the car, and found the person driving the car, only to be told he had been sold the car for $100.00 ..far less than it's value.

The detective thought it odd, but could not prove anything, so he told the family, that he would place an ad in the paper. He placed a full page ad, seeking information on the missing brother/son. Someone recognized the jacket that he was wearing in a family photo that had been placed in the paper. She called the detective, and admitted that she came upon a salvation army box that had been left in front of the building on a weekend. She took the jacket and had it in her possession. She was able to also describe some of his other things that had been left there.

The "case" went cold for 10 years. The family was always searching, never gave up, hired psychics and such, but nothing...at least not until they received a call from someone from San Louis Obispo. The coroner there had a friend in the State Department. The John Doe that he had 10 years prior had nagged at him, and he asked his friend at the State Department to help track down the doe's family.

Well, seems the brother, packed up his stuff, donated some, left other behind, (the detective sent the personal effects to the family). Jumped on a bus, went to San Louis Obispo, checked into a hotel under an assumed name, and committed suicide...same scenario (different method) as Lyle Stevik.

It was never a case that the family didn't look, it was more a case that he never wanted to be found. Since he was over 21, the family had a hard time getting someone to even talk to them, let alone make a report and start the legwork.

There's generally a distinction between last seen dates, which are when somebody actually saw the person in the flesh, and last known contact, which includes phone calls and letters and are often considered suspect because they can be faked.

It sounds like in Anita's case there's very little chance the phone call wasn't her.

In the case of a missing teen who contacted the family as in adult, would that still be a missing teen case?
There's generally a distinction between last seen dates, which are when somebody actually saw the person in the flesh, and last known contact, which includes phone calls and letters and are often considered suspect because they can be faked.

It sounds like in Anita's case there's very little chance the phone call wasn't her.

Your right carbuff, have noticed a lot of MP's last contact dates are on a Monday in which its my thoughts this is when the MP was reported not necessarily the actual date the MP was last in contact or seen. Have seen it more frequently in the older cases MP cases vs new one's.

NAMUS - Date of Last Contact could be via phone, mail or physical we would only know if it is clarified within the MP circumstances and sometimes it is sometimes it is not.

Your right carbuff, have noticed a lot of MP's last contact dates are on a Monday in which its my thoughts this is when the MP was reported not necessarily the actual date the MP was last in contact or seen. Have seen it more frequently in the older cases MP cases vs new one's.

NAMUS - Date of Last Contact could be via phone, mail or physical we would only know if it is clarified within the MP circumstances and sometimes it is sometimes it is not.

Yeah, I think there are a lot of cases where the person disappeared during the week, the family worried during the weekend and then reported it first thing Monday morning.

Many of the older cases are being entered from police files so there's nothing else to go on.

Where do you find information about DNA data?

I would say there is a very high likelihood she is NOT EDJD. They have had some DNA hits for EDJD that didnt link back to the Qvist family.

However, nothing official has been announced.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrnkKrcher
Back