Anthony Bourdain, 61, Tv Chef And Travel Host, Found Dead, Suicide

Bette, I had forgotten about The Layover. Thanks for the reminder! If I recall correctly he spent 36 hours in a city and took it from there.

I think he was in the middle of filming the unaired season of Parts Unknown so I too hope ZPZ and CNN will do something with that material.

:rose: Rest in Peace, Chef. :rose:

I am an amateur chef and enjoyed watching his show and the mixture of food and culture.

<modsnip> His death is eerie to me because in an episode apparently filmed shortly before his death, he looked like he had relapsed substance abuse wise.

That aside, if you liked the show, I recommend subscribing to Saveur magazine. Similar to Bourdain, the magazine mixes receipes, culture and history sans political interjections. The articles are well written and the photos are fantastic. SAVEUR

There is also the Slow Food Movement. This movement emphasizes a return to from scratch, simple cultural foods and a return to meals as a family or community gathering. Slow Food USA

Writing this post makes me want to bake some bread today.... .

<modsnipped- no need to interject politics>

Last edited by a moderator:
His death is eerie to me because in an episode apparently filmed shortly before his death, he looked like he had relapsed substance abuse wise.

Apparently, your observations skills are wanting, because there were no narcotics found in his system at autopsy.

Anthony Bourdain did not have narcotics in his body when he died this month, a French judicial official said.

Anthony Bourdain Toxicology Report: No Narcotics in His System

I'm still mad about this.. I think it set him off JMO
I will always be upset about that. She may not believe death took Tony away. Look through his Instagram photos and see her 2017 Pretty in Pink photo. See the symbolism in her choice of jewelry and arm tattoo?

Apparently, your observations skills are wanting, because there were no narcotics found in his system at autopsy.

Since you are continuing the discussion,

Maybe, maybe not. Consider this quote:

"Unlike many addicts, who give up any and all substances when they get clean, Anthony Bourdain continued to drink alcohol, which is why you might have seen him pounding shots of soju in South Korea, or enjoying beers with many of his meals."

I never gave a definite time when I noticed a particular look to Bourdain (Alcohol use can give that look, then again, perhaps jet lag gives it as well?)

I also deliberately used the more vague "substance abuse" because I am not able to identify a specific substance (alcohol can be abused) by looking at a person- just the possibility that some kind of substance is being abused.

As for toxicology reports perhaps Bourdain was clearly "narcotic free" as you pointed out. Perhaps he had not used alcohol immediately prior to his death? Is alcohol grouped with narcotics on toxicology reports? I don't know.

If you could "filter it out" then why bring it up now, after his death?
Because other members mentioned it in their posts.

Last edited:
Like the beloved person, storyteller he was, I think it's natural to search for answers in response to shock.

In an Op Ed piece for Penthouse Magazine, Leah McSweeney offers another view in her article titled Toxic Feminity. ---Definitely don't want to get in trouble for linking penthouse, but it's easy to look up.

Ok, so IMO, interesting piece, but what was even more telling was Bourdain's BFF chef's wife retweeted the article, and Bourdain's wife, replied to her with a heart emoji.

So the women who loved Bourdain may have some feelings about his final days, what he might have been going through, the choices he made, and are being discreet in their under the radar acknowledgements...

Bourdain was loved and admired by both men and women. My impression is that while he might have been spiraling in a depressive state, men and women process pride and humiliation differently. Or the harrowing bigness of choosing to end his life which only he really knows the answer to.

In my own search to understand him a bit better, I've come across a couple of interesting blogs, full of memories from The Ale House in Chicago, peeps, to a group that's been writing about him for years, and who he met as well, to a men's blog where they talk about the alpha/beta male energy. All interesting reading.

Bourdain himself wrote really gory crime novels, so understanding the occult, or historical references was not a stretch to his imagination. He even stretched it with culture and history in his shows. Like great writers, his was a fertile imagination.

I just think he might have been more traditional in his heart which was both protected, yet he explored something else which may have been more than he could handle?

He was a grown man. The allusions are getting disturbing. Poor guy.
Not to mention confusing. Who tweeted what to whom about what this other person said about what a different person claimed happened with someone else who maybe felt something that someone says she shouldn't have but was quoted at length and then other quotes anonymously allegedly posted possibly revealing what AB felt about what had been published saying/doing, and they'd only been seeing each other a year and a half and people cheat all the time but still obviously devastating humiliations, lots of f-bombs but not the words you know she really wants to say about that woman, she has to get it off her chest but never says it: I would've made him happy, he'd never have killed himself if he'd chosen me.

Anthony Bourdain leaves majority of his $1.2million estate - which was rumored to be worth at least $16million - to 11-year-old daughter Ariane as will is read less than one month after his suicide

Anthony Bourdain leaves majority of his $1.2million estate to 11-year-old daughter Ariane | Daily Mail Online

I don't think the author is familiar with estate planning. By his own admission, Bourdain had a near death experience in 2006, and married for the last time in 2007 - same year his daughter born. Considering the federal estate tax exemption in 2007 was only $2M (and barely reaching $5.49M by 2017), I'm sure his priority was the welfare of his only child. Also, NY is now an "equitable distribution" state for divorce, and it wouldn't surprise me if much of his estate previously transferred to his estranged wife and mother of his child. Glad only $1.2M traceable for the media!

Like the beloved person, storyteller he was, I think it's natural to search for answers in response to shock.

In an Op Ed piece for Penthouse Magazine, Leah McSweeney offers another view in her article titled Toxic Feminity. ---Definitely don't want to get in trouble for linking penthouse, but it's easy to look up.

Ok, so IMO, interesting piece, but what was even more telling was Bourdain's BFF chef's wife retweeted the article, and Bourdain's wife, replied to her with a heart emoji.

So the women who loved Bourdain may have some feelings about his final days, what he might have been going through, the choices he made, and are being discreet in their under the radar acknowledgements...

Bourdain was loved and admired by both men and women. My impression is that while he might have been spiraling in a depressive state, men and women process pride and humiliation differently. Or the harrowing bigness of choosing to end his life which only he really knows the answer to.

In my own search to understand him a bit better, I've come across a couple of interesting blogs, full of memories from The Ale House in Chicago, peeps, to a group that's been writing about him for years, and who he met as well, to a men's blog where they talk about the alpha/beta male energy. All interesting reading.

Bourdain himself wrote really gory crime novels, so understanding the occult, or historical references was not a stretch to his imagination. He even stretched it with culture and history in his shows. Like great writers, his was a fertile imagination.

I just think he might have been more traditional in his heart which was both protected, yet he explored something else which may have been more than he could handle?

Well done. Bears repeating: Anthony Bourdain loved very hard.....

Anthony Bourdain's CNN series Parts Unknown did very well on Thursday morning when the Emmy nominations were announced -- he got 6 of them...

The categories Parts Unknown was nominated in include Outstanding Cinematography for a Nonfiction Program, Outstanding Picture Editing for a Nonfiction Program, Outstanding Informational Series Or Special, Outstanding Sound Editing for a Nonfiction Program, Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Nonfiction Program, and Outstanding Writing for a Nonfiction Program.

Attachments

• Anthony Bourdain's long-burning suicidal wick— in his own words.pdf
    138.5 KB · Views: 3
Anthony Bourdain's CNN series Parts Unknown did very well on Thursday morning when the Emmy nominations were announced -- he got 6 of them...

The categories Parts Unknown was nominated in include Outstanding Cinematography for a Nonfiction Program, Outstanding Picture Editing for a Nonfiction Program, Outstanding Informational Series Or Special, Outstanding Sound Editing for a Nonfiction Program, Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Nonfiction Program, and Outstanding Writing for a Nonfiction Program.

Thanks for posting this; I hadn't seen it. It would be nice if Bourdain's daughter could attend and accept an award should her late father receive one.

I'm still wending my way through AB's Appetites cookbook. Love his recipes and anecdotal musings :)

Thanks for posting this; I hadn't seen it. It would be nice if Bourdain's daughter could attend and accept an award should her late father receive one.

I'm still wending my way through AB's Appetites cookbook. Love his recipes and anecdotal musings :)

I wonder if Bourdain's family will designate someone, Eric Ripert comes to mind, or people in his long time crew, or those who loved him at CNN, or Halpern from Ecco Press (his editor and publisher) to receive any awards Parts Unknown might win. There's quite a variety of nominations. And I surely think he should win for his writing.

Bbm:
I can't imagine an eleven year old girl could handle it, or know what to say at an awards show. --I'm thinking how utterly heartbreaking Paris Jackson's plea for her father was at his televised public memorial, so soon after losing him. But, I'm sure if Bourdain's daughter attends with her Mom she will be so embraced with love...
--jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back