Anthony Bourdain, 61, Tv Chef And Travel Host, Found Dead, Suicide

Asia Argento says she 'had no idea' Anthony Bourdain had an 'obsession' with suicide and tweets a link to the article published after Bourdain's death that compiled all the times the celebrity chef had spoken of suicide.

"He never told me." Really?

Asia Argento 'had no idea' Anthony Bourdain 'obsessed' with suicide | Daily Mail Online

Actually, this I believe. Asia was the receiver, not the giver in this relationship. Did she ever read any of Bourdain's books, essays? Did she ever watch any of his shows outside of her Rome, and Hong Kong episodes?

She seemed really focused on her own crusade, and Tony supported her in her efforts. She seemed really wrapped up with the journalist who tweeted out her Cannes speech.

I don't think she was serious about Bourdain.

So many others "got" Bourdain, and knew him. Most especially his friend Eric whose gracious and measured response to his death indicated to me he knew that a darker struggle existed from their long time friendship.

Actually, this I believe. Asia was the receiver, not the giver in this relationship. Did she ever read any of Bourdain's books, essays? Did she ever watch any of his shows outside of her Rome, and Hong Kong episodes?

She seemed really focused on her own crusade, and Tony supported her in her efforts. She seemed really wrapped up with the journalist who tweeted out her Cannes speech.

So many others "got" Bourdain, and knew him. Most especially his friend Eric whose gracious and measured response to his death indicated to me he knew that a darker struggle existed from their long time friendship.
This raises a question for me for possible discussion, not specifically about AB, but about getting involved with people who are secretly depressed and/or secretly attracted to ideas of suicide.

Let's say you meet a person and they're super keen on getting involved with you. They appear to be happy and have a good life. You're flattered by their interest. But as you get a bit closer, you start to get a sense that underneath the veneer, the person is actually depressed, and you pick up on your radar that they admire people who've killed themselves and see it as an option for them.

Would you decide to continue to develop a deeper relationship with this person? Or would you say no, I want a partner or new close friend who isn't depressed and suicidal?

I admit I probably wouldn't take that person on in my life, especially not if they were refusing to acknowledge what was really going on with themselves. If they were honest and said they were depressed, I'd advise them to get treatment, and see what I could do to help them focus on getting better.

But I don't want the responsibility of trying to cure this person's inner demons by distracting them, and letting them continue to appear happy to the outside world by hanging around with me. I guess I'm biased, I don't believe in soulmates, or being helplessly in love, especially not after age 30 or after a couple of failed relationships. I think your head can and should rule your heart.

I've also had a family member who was depressed and suicidal, but would never, ever acknowledge it, preferring to blame external circumstances, including me, rather than ever admit they needed help.

ETA: I stuck with the family member and learned not to take it personally, it was their illness. But it was not a happy relationship, how could it be?

I wonder if Bourdain's family will designate someone, Eric Ripert comes to mind, or people in his long time crew, or those who loved him at CNN, or Halpern from Ecco Press (his editor and publisher) to receive any awards Parts Unknown might win. There's quite a variety of nominations. And I surely think he should win for his writing.

Bbm:
I can't imagine an eleven year old girl could handle it, or know what to say at an awards show. --I'm thinking how utterly heartbreaking Paris Jackson's plea for her father was at his televised public memorial, so soon after losing him. But, I'm sure if Bourdain's daughter attends with her Mom she will be so embraced with love...
--jmo

I think it more likely CNN's Jeff Zucker would accept any awards (viewing AB as the show host), with so many named here as Tony's gracious guests in attendance. I read recently that AB received 23 nominations and 8 wins over his career.

Last edited:
I'm still devastated as well.

Im still saddened too.

I enjoyed watching his shows and always looked forward to the next Parts Unknown that I had not seen yet.

He had a way to directly connect with the viewing audience in a way that few can do.
When watching I would become immersed and felt like I was right there with him enjoying the dish and seeing the sights.

That is what was so amazing. We got to not only taste from afar different cousine but we visited with the people and their culture, saw the architecture of the area, saw the sights and heard the sounds and many other things.

Some of the most memorable ones that struck me was the one when he visited back home to his childhood haunts on the Jersey Shore and shared clams with his brother.

The one where he took us to eat with his Korean friend in California.

The many Asian countries he took us to.

It was always a wild ride he would take us on.

We will miss him but at least he left us with the great shows that we can still enjoy and appreciate.

RIP Anthony. You were truly special.

I also found AA body language with reporter Hugo Clement to be very different compared to what I saw with AB-- even during time when they were reportedly "close."

I also wondered if AA didn't commission the 8 July "long burning suicidal wick" written by Ph.D. (much like the Playboy PR piece), which seemingly represented just a series of "hanging" quotes from news story and/or interviews. And not discounting AB psychological struggles here whatsoever. While AB is quoted as referring to himself as a "narcissist" --very rarely do narcissists commit suicide (compared to untreated victims of narcs....MOO).

Why Survivors Of Malignant Narcissists Don’t Get The Justice They Deserve | HuffPost

Last edited:
This raises a question for me for possible discussion, not specifically about AB, but about getting involved with people who are secretly depressed and/or secretly attracted to ideas of suicide.

Let's say you meet a person and they're super keen on getting involved with you. They appear to be happy and have a good life. You're flattered by their interest. But as you get a bit closer, you start to get a sense that underneath the veneer, the person is actually depressed, and you pick up on your radar that they admire people who've killed themselves and see it as an option for them.

Would you decide to continue to develop a deeper relationship with this person? Or would you say no, I want a partner or new close friend who isn't depressed and suicidal?

I admit I probably wouldn't take that person on in my life, especially not if they were refusing to acknowledge what was really going on with themselves. If they were honest and said they were depressed, I'd advise them to get treatment, and see what I could do to help them focus on getting better.

But I don't want the responsibility of trying to cure this person's inner demons by distracting them, and letting them continue to appear happy to the outside world by hanging around with me. I guess I'm biased, I don't believe in soulmates, or being helplessly in love, especially not after age 30 or after a couple of failed relationships. I think your head can and should rule your heart.

I've also had a family member who was depressed and suicidal, but would never, ever acknowledge it, preferring to blame external circumstances, including me, rather than ever admit they needed help.

ETA: I stuck with the family member and learned not to take it personally, it was their illness. But it was not a happy relationship, how could it be?

Satchie, I'm so sorry for your familial struggles with depression and suicide in a family member. It's so very serious. Our experiences definitely shape our viewpoints.

Bourdain was a novelist with an acerbic wit. Writers with big imaginations will travel deep into all corners of the human experience.

While logic and experience are the best guideposts, I still think the heart wants what the heart wants.

Did Kate Spade's husband, or Mick Jagger with LWren have a clue? I don't think so... These were long time relationships.

As for Bourdain, I personally think Asia was too self absorbed to have a clue, but also Bourdain was fragile, and he didn't let on.
-jmo

This is beyond me. I have never understood people who commit suicide or people who suffer from depression, anxiety etc. Life is just wonderful, no matter how many horrible circumstances one has to go through, and I am not able to grasp why anyone would not see that.

I feel far too many celebrities do not have real friends, genuine relationships: real emotional connections and that is why they feel lonely and these strange thoughts pop in their heads.

I saw this man's TV programme several times. He came across as someone full of energy, with a younger spirit than his age, very opinionated and eager to learn.
Sad very sad that he thought suicide was the only way out. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Anthony Bourdain Revealed Worst Thing Asia Argento Ever Said to Him: 'I Was So Hurt by This'
7/16/18

In one of Anthony Bourdain’s final interviews before his death, the chef reflected on a low point in his relationship with girlfriend Asia Argento.

“The worst thing Asia ever said to me, she’d had a bad day, she was doing a play in uh, Turin? Somewhere in Italy. And she was rehearsing and she’d had a really bad day with the director....

“And we’re texting back and forth, cause we only argue by text. She’s like, f— angry. F— you too! You always wanna win! You always wanna win!” he continued, adding that “I was really offended by this. I was so hurt by this.”

“I do not need to win,” Bourdain explained to writer Maria Bustillos. “I am not a competitive person. I need to survive.”
Anthony Bourdain Revealed Worst Thing Asia Argento Ever Said to Him: 'I Was So Hurt by This'

Anthony-Bourdain-CNN-Film.jpg

“THERE WAS STILL A HUNGER TO KNOW MORE ABOUT HIM”: CNN IS PLANNING A BIG-SCREEN DOCUMENTARY ABOUT ANTHONY BOURDAIN 8/16/18

Months after his death, the appetite for the globe-trotting chef seems inexhaustible. “We want to make it exquisite for Tony,” says a CNN executive.

CNN tells me it is in pre-production on a documentary film about Bourdain’s life and work, in collaboration with Zero Point Zero, the production company behind Bourdain’s television series. The film, billed as “the definitive Bourdain feature documentary,” is projected to hit screens as early as 2019—first on the festival circuit, then with a theatrical release, and eventually on CNN, a rollout that the network has employed with other documentaries. It’s still early days, so details are scant, but Amy Entelis, CNN’s executive vice president for talent and content, told me the decision to make a Bourdain film was simple. “As well as we knew Tony,” she said, “because he did reveal himself in the series, there was still a hunger to know more about him, and to honor his work and celebrate him. The documentary format became one of the more obvious ways to go.”

CNN Is Planning a Big-Screen Documentary About Anthony Bourdain

Asia Argento, Who Accused Weinstein, Made Deal With Her Own Accuser

Asia Argento, Who Accused Weinstein, Made Deal With Her Own Accuser

---

Wow, this is all very sordid. Wonder if Bourdain ever knew Argento settled damages for her perpetrating sexual assault on a 17 year old actor with whom she previously worked on a film when he was just a boy.

This raises a question for me for possible discussion, not specifically about AB, but about getting involved with people who are secretly depressed and/or secretly have suicidal thoughts

* Original post shortened for space

Hi Satchie
You seem to have knowledge of depression first hand and it is one of the hardest things to have any kind of relationship when there is a mental disorder. I know my step-son has a Narcissistic personality disorder. His father and I have had to cut ties with him. He would not get help and we were blamed for everything.

Problem comes in when the person does not realize they have a disorder . Like alcoholics many are in denial, don't realize or think it is the world that is wrong because it does not see life through their eyes. It is indeed heartbreaking.

I say this because I believe part of a mental disorder is an inability to realize YOUR in trouble. Your brain is rewired and is misfiring information and perception.

So, Respectfully I can understand your personal view with respect to being with someone who has a mental disorder and who seems suicidal but will not do anything about it. IMOO I believe people just do not realize they need help and are in denial. I have been diagnose with depression and for the last 30 years of my life I have been on an antidepressant. It has saved my life and relationships.
Before diagnosis I was an alcoholic , now in recovery for 30 years, I was trying to feel better by self medication and Alcohol (I thought) ttook some pain away)

So making a long story longer...…..the world one lives in with a mental illness, such as depression, is a deep , dark world where everyday you fight to keep going, and yes sometimes you want to just end the pain of life in the darkness.
Sometimes you cannot do a thing to help the person you care about because they do not realize themselves their brain is re-wired to live in a different reality. There
are now antidepressants that can help people --and some illness like depression need medication and trying to help that person without them is nearly impossible---or at least a real up-hill battle.
Stay strong Satchie, you have lived and living with people you care about but can only wait until they come to the realization that they may need meds just to be able to get on a level playing field as those that are not afflicted. You are living the difficult life of one whos loved ones are in denial that they are the problem an so we share some of our loved ones darkness . Not Easy.
Sincerely--RUK

Poor Asia Argento, can't speak for herself. Has to have Rose "metoo" McGowan make excuses for her actions possibly being a contributing factor to AB's suicide. Stating "it was AB who took his own life" . Of course it was AB who made that decision, no argument there. Unless you have been in the "black hole" of depression, one cannot begin to understand that mindset.

Unfortunately it may have been "Asia Argento" just being in his life. She seems to have her own demons and even Anthony stated "he never met anyone who wanted to die more than him"
No one is saying Harvey Weinstein is not evil, but why would one who says the sex was against
her will continue to see Mr. Weinstein for a time after that.....Oh Wait...she had a business deal at the time And Mr. Weinstein could be HELPFUL. People using people. sadly her story only blurs the line for those women who were indeed raped or ran away before he could do anything. They had careers too, but somehow they managed to say NO and walk away.
MOO seems someone with her character has her own problems and those problems were added to AB"S depressive state. Very Sad .

I have brought this post over from the weeks following Anthony Bourdains suicide. This was MOO at that time and still resonates.
Rose McGowan backed the wrong horse when she wrote an article defending Asia Argentos after very negative coverage of her appeared right after his suicide. Asia could not even defend herself. This newest information does not surprise me at all and I am happy this came out.
I watched the news last night on this story and they showed Asia Argento apparently at some Awards function dressed in her signature Black raising her fist for the Me Too movement. Too bad she is the face of that along with Rose McGowan. What a joke and it damages the fight that movement takes up. AA is EVIL--just read about her.

I believe AB would still be alive if not for this evil that infiltrated his life.
AB once said he never met anyone who wanted to kill themselves more than AA! WELL?

* Original post shortened for space

Hi Satchie
You seem to have knowledge of depression first hand and it is one of the hardest things to have any kind of relationship when there is a mental disorder. I know my step-son has a Narcissistic personality disorder. His father and I have had to cut ties with him. He would not get help and we were blamed for everything.

Problem comes in when the person does not realize they have a disorder . Like alcoholics many are in denial, don't realize or think it is the world that is wrong because it does not see life through their eyes. It is indeed heartbreaking.

I say this because I believe part of a mental disorder is an inability to realize YOUR in trouble. Your brain is rewired and is misfiring information and perception.

So, Respectfully I can understand your personal view with respect to being with someone who has a mental disorder and who seems suicidal but will not do anything about it. IMOO I believe people just do not realize they need help and are in denial. I have been diagnose with depression and for the last 30 years of my life I have been on an antidepressant. It has saved my life and relationships.
Before diagnosis I was an alcoholic , now in recovery for 30 years, I was trying to feel better by self medication and Alcohol (I thought) ttook some pain away)

So making a long story longer...…..the world one lives in with a mental illness, such as depression, is a deep , dark world where everyday you fight to keep going, and yes sometimes you want to just end the pain of life in the darkness.
Sometimes you cannot do a thing to help the person you care about because they do not realize themselves their brain is re-wired to live in a different reality. There
are now antidepressants that can help people --and some illness like depression need medication and trying to help that person without them is nearly impossible---or at least a real up-hill battle.
Stay strong Satchie, you have lived and living with people you care about but can only wait until they come to the realization that they may need meds just to be able to get on a level playing field as those that are not afflicted. You are living the difficult life of one whos loved ones are in denial that they are the problem an so we share some of our loved ones darkness . Not Easy.
Sincerely--RUK
Thanks for your kind words. I agree, the problem comes when one feels lost in the mental illness, unable to see the illness as something separate from who one is. I believe we all have an inner self who is contented and calm, but that self is unrecognized because of the cacophony of thoughts, like watching a blaring TV and not noticing your beloved pet has come into the room and is waiting for you to acknowledge them.

This is the analogy I've heard before: If I feel a sharp pain when walking, it means I need to stop and examine my foot, perhaps there is a splinter I need to remove, or perhaps I need to go to emergency to get an x-ray. I wish it were easier to understand that if I feel strong mental pain: fear, negativity, anger, I need to stop and examine what is causing that painful emotion, and see it as a symptom I can try to attend to myself, or get help if that's not possible.

I do believe minds can be healed, but first it's necessary to stop doing the things that cause continual wounding, and that keep your mind from resting and recuperating.

My thoughts about AB are that, however much he liked continually moving around shooting his TV shows, and having a long distance relationship with an exciting younger girlfriend, it's tragic there wasn't a way for him to recognize that suicidal thoughts were a signal he was very ill, and needed to immediately take a break and find help and heal.

Exactly the way I see it. Honestly I don’t believe her. Even wondered if finding that out is why AB committed suicide.

Asia Argento responds to sexual assault allegations by throwing dead boyfriend under the bus
Asia Argento responds to sexual assault allegations by throwing dead boyfriend under the bus

Seriously, did AA really describe that she solved an alleged extortion by "compassionately" meeting the demands of her accuser and handing over money?

And yes, I vividly recall AA flaunting another "toy boy" on the streets of Rome just days before AB checked out. Enought AA, enough..

Exactly the way I see it. Honestly I don’t believe her. Even wondered if finding that out is why AB committed suicide.

Great find Elly Mae! This article is WHO she is. Can't help herself--she is one sick witch. I mean that, she has connections to the occult, but that must be the conspiracy she says has been waged against her.

Again I say "POOR ASIA" will not respond to requests for statement on the subject----Maybe she can get Rose McGowan to publicly write ANOTHER article in defense of poor abused Asia.

Poor Anthony, he never deserved evil like her to infiltrate his life. He deserved better than that witch. She poisons the life of everyone who befriends her.
Thanks again Elli May for the article.

This is beyond me. I have never understood people who commit suicide or people who suffer from depression, anxiety etc. Life is just wonderful, no matter how many horrible circumstances one has to go through, and I am not able to grasp why anyone would not see that.

REALLY? Hold onto that belief yurena, may you never find out how many people suffer in silence

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back