Bulgaria - Lars Mittank, 28, German tourist, Varna airport, 8 July 2014

Exactly, the beautiful landscape and it is still alot cheaper than other european countries. For some people that 's the most important reason to spend their holiday there, especially young people.

Absolutely. Especially in Varna! Sunny Beach is a hot spot for young vacationers. I tend to stay inland to see family, but I know Varna just keeps increasing in popularity.

(Are you Bulgarian, @whatsnext?) :)

Warning post mortem picture in post!

Things are strange. Romanian guy visiting our country (The Netherlands) found dead a couple of hours after he landed on Schiphol. What is a scary country? Informatie gezocht over dode man begraafplaats. So sad, there is CTV footage of him walking through the airport en buying drinks at a well known supermarket in Haarlem...after that he disappeared and was killed.

Information wanted about dead man cemetery
Last update: 11-03-2017 | 19:10
Haarlem - The police would like to get in touch with people who know more about the deceased man who was found around 8:15 am on Wednesday morning at the cemetery at Kleverlaan in Haarlem.

Meanwhile, the identity of the man is known to the police. It is a 36-year-old man from Romania. His call sign is Dumitru and his last name is Sirbru. At this moment it is not known where the man stayed in the Netherlands. People who know this can call 0900-8844.

After a section on the body by the NFI, the police seriously consider a crime. The police would like to get in touch with people who know more about the life of Dumitru Sirbru. Where did he stay, with whom did he turn and who knows him or has recently seen him.

The police have decided to publish two photos of the victim.

Contact number for this case: 2017047989

Last edited:
Warning post mortem picture in post!

Things are strange. Romanian guy visiting our country (The Netherlands) found dead a couple of hours after he landed on Schiphol. What is a scary country? Informatie gezocht over dode man begraafplaats. So sad, there is CTV footage of him walking through the airport en buying drinks at a well known supermarket in Haarlem...after that he disappeared and was killed.

Information wanted about dead man cemetery
Last update: 11-03-2017 | 19:10
Haarlem - The police would like to get in touch with people who know more about the deceased man who was found around 8:15 am on Wednesday morning at the cemetery at Kleverlaan in Haarlem.

Meanwhile, the identity of the man is known to the police. It is a 36-year-old man from Romania. His call sign is Dumitru and his last name is Sirbru. At this moment it is not known where the man stayed in the Netherlands. People who know this can call 0900-8844.

After a section on the body by the NFI, the police seriously consider a crime. The police would like to get in touch with people who know more about the life of Dumitru Sirbru. Where did he stay, with whom did he turn and who knows him or has recently seen him.

The police have decided to publish two photos of the victim.

Contact number for this case: 2017047989

Oh my! There is just too much of this, how is anyone supposed to enjoy the world when nowhere is safe... before I derail the thread too much, do we have a thread for Dumitru?

Oh my! There is just too much of this, how is anyone supposed to enjoy the world when nowhere is safe... before I derail the thread too much, do we have a thread for Dumitru?

No there isn't as far as I know... maybe he was lured....maybe he met the wrong people....it's very disturbing but OT

I so much hope for some new lead or witness, for ANY development actually...

O/T good to see you back, Ana:)

I agree, whatsnext. There has to be some news soon for Lars and his heartbroken family. I wonder if his family have been back to Bulgaria recently.

Thank you so much! Guess where I went?... Bulgaria! Ha. I was only there for a couple days and forgot to look out to see if I saw any Lars flyers.

Hello, lovely Websleuthers
I’m a new member. I’ve read through all the posts and must confess to be even more confused about this sad and puzzling occurrence. So many great thoughts and ideas have been posted here. In my own head I’m going back to basics ...

Occum’s razor - the simplest solution tends to be the right one

Definitely not saying I’m right though

Lars, according to his friends wasn’t ‘himself ‘ all week, not eating etc. He sustained an ear injury and sought medical advice. The doctor gave him professional medical advice and pills

At Lars’ insistence, his friends went home thus leaving him feeling increasingly vulnerable, perhaps not helped by the slight side effects from the pills. 4 men in the hotel talk to him maybe their manner frightens him and he ‘phones his Mum, makes travel cost arrangements and tells her his fears

Arrives at airport and saw airport doctor who suggests he shouldn’t fly due to injury and was asked to sign a disclaimer when Lars insists he wants to get on the flight. The doctor could have been quite stern informing him of the outcome embarking on a flight with such an ear injury

Lars, on hearing this, bear in mind he’s in pain, scared, alone, got side effects from the pills feels that he’s trapped in a situation which has turned into a nightmare. The orderlies appearance is the last straw (his mindset hasn’t been good all week, worse now) so he flees and keeps running. imo, I personally think he may have got lost and disoriented and unfortunately met with an accident - the poor lad

Just wanted to pop my thought down

I’m a new member. I’ve read through all the posts and must confess to be even more confused about this sad and puzzling occurrence. So many great thoughts and ideas have been posted here. In my own head I’m going back to basics ...

Lars, according to his friends wasn’t ‘himself ‘ all week, not eating etc. He sustained an ear injury and sought medical advice. The doctor gave him professional medical advice and pills

At Lars’ insistence, his friends went home thus leaving him feeling increasingly vulnerable, perhaps not helped by the slight side effects from the pills. 4 men in the hotel talk to him maybe their manner frightens him and he ‘phones his Mum, makes travel cost arrangements and tells her his fears

Arrives at airport and saw airport doctor who suggests he shouldn’t fly due to injury and was asked to sign a disclaimer when Lars insists he wants to get on the flight. The doctor could have been quite stern informing him of the outcome embarking on a flight with such an ear injury

Lars, on hearing this, bear in mind he’s in pain, scared, alone, got side effects from the pills feels that he’s trapped in a situation which has turned into a nightmare. The orderlies appearance is the last straw (his mindset hasn’t been good all week, worse now) so he flees and keeps running. imo, I personally think he may have got lost and disoriented and unfortunately met with an accident - the poor lad

Welcome LilliMac!
Your explanation certainly sounds reasonable and feasible, the answers would all come together if only Lars or his body is finally located, but where, where?!

Last edited:

Welcome LilliMac, sounds reasonable to me. But like Dotr says...where is his body?

This is why I think he is still alive.

And this is why I think that he was taken from the highway close to the airport to a different location ( so he could be anywhere) and disposed of.
Why did the doctor at the airport change his story so often? Never a good sign...jmo

I personally don’t think there were any unscrupulous doctors, anything untoward regarding drugs, schizophrenia etc. just a frightened guy, who flipped being alone and unwell, language barriers etc.

please bear in mind these are just my thoughts

Does anyone know the radius of the cadaver dog search ?

Thinking about how this UK student was missing for 11 years after going on vacation in Crete, his body was finally found at the bottom of a well.
Wondering now if there are many wells in Bulgaria, particularly near the areas where Lars was known to frequent? imo, speculation. fwiw.
Body of British student missing for 11 years found at bottom of well in Crete
"24 February 2017
Human remains found in a well in Crete belong to a British student who went missing more than 11 years ago, police have confirmed.

Steve Cook, 20, disappeared while holidaying in Malia with school friends in the Greek resort in September 2005.

The Liverpool FC fan, originally from Sandbach, Cheshire, was last seen in a bar asking for directions to his hotel but he walked off in the wrong direction.

JS121208732_Police-have-found-the-remains-of-the-body-in-a-well-near-a-cem_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcLiMQf0Rf_Wk3V23H2268P_XkPxc.jpg

The well where the remains of a body have been discovered in Malia, Crete Credit: Kostas Metaxakis/Athena Pictures"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back