CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have wondered if night vision goggles have been used by the shooter in some of the shootings.

He seems to be able to move around in the dark and without some sort of night vision it would be difficult.

Night vision goggles have gotten a lot cheaper in recent years. The 2nd pair of goggles in this link are about $350 and that is pretty cheap. Years ago it was hard to find any pair under $1000.

5 Best Night Vision Goggles - July 2018 - BestReviews

It would explain a lot. Or they really know that park super well.

By now, LASD knows at least the basic ballistics of the TB shooting. This would include ammunition type and distance from which it was fired. They also should have a reasonable grasp on identifying the type of firearm that was used.

From what we know of the Meliss Tantangelo car shooting, a shotgun was used at close range. The ammo was a slug. A single shot was fired.

James Rogers says he was shot at close range. Anyone know the size of the pellets in his arm (different sizes exist for different types of small critters and birds)? Again, it seems to be a single shot. Birdshot can be fired from a shotgun, a rifle or a handgun.

From what we know, no one else reported hearing these gunshots. I note this because the reports are that - from statements LE have made - there was more than one 911 call in the TB incident.

The TB incident has at least one shot. The coroner said (he 'believed') there were not multiple gunshots. On WS, we've pointed to two holes in the tent but we don't know if those holes are connected with the shooting. But TB was shot while inside the tent and the bullet had to come from somewhere.

If it was a shotgun in the TB killing, you'd have more than enough reason to think the shootings might be linked. It appears that in the MT incident, someone approached her car and fired a single shot with a shotgun at close range. Is that what happened with TB?

If TB was shot by a rifle, you might not link the shootings but start looking further afield as to who might have fired a shot out in the canyon at night. Rifles have a much longer range than shotguns and the stray/random/idiot-shooting-at-the-moon scenario is a possibility here. (It's also possible that it was used in the campground in the manner of the MT shooting - walk up to the tent and shoot.)

If it was a handgun, you'd also have to consider that it was fired from within the campground. And then you wonder if there was some kind of nightlight on in the tent (for the kiddies) that allowed its occupants to be discerned from outside.

From the public safety POV, it sounds like we have to be on the lookout for someone walking up to campers in the early-morning hours and firing a single shot. This is different than someone shooting from a car or surrounding property.

Having this information available would in no way compromise the alleged integrity of the investigation.

Of course it would compromise the investigation!

While I was working in the parks there were murders in Topanga. One guy rang a doorbell and asked the woman to help look for his puppy who ran away. She was killed. All of the parks around there have a sketchy element.
Body Found In Topanga State Park

Video clip. This is the Topanga State Park next to Malibu Creek State Park.

“The deceased person was found off a hiking trail. “
You know what's interesting?when I googled body found in Topanga Canyon..I discovered an L.A.Times article dated back in 1998..about an unrecognizable body discovered in a shallow grave.
—————

Woman's body found off hiking trail in Topanga

““I think the best message to the public is be carful when it’s hot outside,” Radtke continued. “You know, let people know where you’re going. Hike with friends. Bring water with you.”“

Food for thought and question, say there was another incident which was possibly linked. Do we know for sure that LE would divulge this connection and incident to the public? Tia for your thoughts on this.

(Note to self to post in NOCO, was just advised coincidentally during a casual personal conversation about another window shattering that happened near the location and time CR was shot.)

-everything is moo.

Sounds like they have two camera traps as of 2016 and one by Liberty Canyon.Bear Captured By Research Cameras In Malibu Creek State Park I wonder where the other one is. I assume they would have night vision also. They might of course be far off the trails and remote and there is a possibility the shooter isnt even inside the park area when shooting, however it wouldnt probably hurt for LE to check for any camera pics taken around of the time of the shootings or in general if it isnt constantly monitored or sends out alarm emails.

I'll be really surprised if they haven't checked all the game cameras as well as security cameras from all around the park. If you wander around in Google Maps and look closely at the things you pass, there are quite a few of them around.

I agree with Margarita25 about the taunting. I think the vandal-shooter is definitely encouraged by all the publicity and is enjoying the fright they create.

Still not convinced that the vandal-shooter killed TB, though...

Do we know for sure that LE would divulge this connection and incident to the public?

LE isn't divulging anything at all.

The campground remains closed but there is no substantive warning or advisory to users of the park. If you go to the park website, there's a pink box that tells you:

Campgrounds at Malibu Creek State Park are closed until further notice due to an ongoing investigation by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department. To ensure public safety, all camping reservations for the park have been cancelled until the campground reopens.

At the end of that notice, there's a link to a Cal State Parks press release on the TB shooting. So if you're thinking of going out to MCSP, you might see on the website that there's an 'investigation' that caused the campground to be closed indefinitely. You have to click on the official statement link to find out that the investigation is actually a homicide investigation in which someone was shot and killed in his tent.

There is no mention in the CSP statement about the other shootings.

Public safety and awareness don't seem like high priorities here.

Jim Morrison cave removal of graffiti began in Fall 2016. Here's history of Malibu site: Jim Morrison Cave in Malibu - California Through My Lens

<modsnipped- only POIs/suspects and victim (TB) are allowed to be sleuthed>
Why a Malibu cave made famous by a Jim Morrison rumor is closing

Malibu Creek State Park Shootings Reward Reaches $15,000: Could Investigators Be At A Dead End? - The Local Malibu

https://www.facebook.com/thelocalma...ods/770821399721154/igators-be-at-a-dead-end/

<modsnipped>

Corral Canyon area is around 20 minute drive from MCSP

Last edited by a moderator:

This is the second time (at least) that the Jim Morrison cave cleanings/closing have been linked here. Did I miss something about that being connected to TB or the shootings?

Last edited by a moderator:
More reports of gunfire near Malibu Creek State Park where Irvine father of 2 killed in June – Daily News

More information on the shots heard:

The first was heard around 1 a.m., the second around 10 p.m., according to Nicole Nishida, a spokeswoman for the sheriff’s department. In both cases, deputies responded to the location, but found neither a shooter nor any evidence that shots had been fired.

I assume by no "evidence that shots had been fired" they mean no shell casings were found. The shooter could be using a shell casing catcher:

Shell Catcher: Hunting | eBay

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members