Found Deceased Canada - Dan Archbald, 37, & Ryan Daley, 43, Ucluelet, Bc, 16 May 2018

Reading your post Jam, & recalling...it brings this (BBM below) to mind...

Wife fears foul play in mysterious case of men who vanished in Ucluelet

:shudders:

I found it to be very early in the case for the wife to suspect such a thing when this first aired, any one else? It gave me an eerie feeling alongside the story of how they always dreamed about to live the life from their favourite story of the widow who sailed the waters around the Islands...Not sure it means anything, but it was something that was just so off for me...dunno

I found it to be very early in the case for the wife to suspect such a thing when this first aired, any one else? It gave me an eerie feeling alongside the story of how they always dreamed about to live the life from their favourite story of the widow who sailed the waters around the Islands...Not sure it means anything, but it was something that was just so off for me...dunno
The Curve of Time is a classic, like Swiss Family Robinson, but set on the west coast. The widow and her 5 children were forced to live on their small boat due to the tragic death of her husband and the economic depression, but they had wonderful adventures in spite of their dire circumstances. It's like suggesting that, if you admire Anne of Green Gables, you intend to murder your parents.

The Curve of Time is a classic, like Swiss Family Robinson, but set on the west coast. The widow and her 5 children were forced to live on their small boat due to the tragic death of her husband and the economic depression, but they had wonderful adventures in spite of their dire circumstances. It's like suggesting that, if you admire Anne of Green Gables, you intend to murder your parents.

I am not suggesting that at all, I said it gave an eerie feeling, I will say this, I certainly speculated she knew more then what she stated after hearing her state that so soon.

Good morning Austin Bear,

That Dan's wife said this stuck out to me almost more than anything else in this case.

It didn't make any sense to me at all. It's not as if there were blood stains on the sailboat. I really don't get it.

There were no reasons for her to give up all hope for Dan. All we knew was that he and Ryan were missing. That's it.

It is highly unusual for a loved one to say something like this publicly, especially with two young daughters. I would want them to believe in hope. After all, until there is something concrete, we really have no way of telling that our loved one is alive or not. Not really.

I am, in no way, judging Dan's wife. It just seems so odd to me that she would say that and so early in the case. To me, there was no reason to say this.

Although I am a positive person, as most are, I use a healthy dash of reality with my positivity. But giving up all hope - no, I always hold onto hope - until there is proof that all hope is dashed.

That Dan's wife said this stuck out to me almost more than anything else in this case.

It didn't make any sense to me at all. It's not as if there were blood stains on the sailboat. I really don't get it.

There were no reasons for her to give up all hope for Dan. All we knew was that he and Ryan were missing. That's it.

It is highly unusual for a loved one to say something like this publicly, especially with two young daughters. I would want them to believe in hope. After all, until there is something concrete, we really have no way of telling that our loved one is alive or not. Not really.

I am, in no way, judging Dan's wife. It just seems so odd to me that she would say that and so early in the case. To me, there was no reason to say this.

Although I am a positive person, as most are, I use a healthy dash of reality with my positivity. But giving up all hope - no, I always hold onto hope - until there is proof that all hope is dashed.

Exactly my sentiments, exactly.

I think I originally brought that quote over from the article. Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things, and I can only speak for myself, but it caught my eye not because it implied intent, but because it seemed an odd coincidence or synchronicity. I hope she does carry on and she (as a widow) embarks on a similar dream-trip with her kids, and their story has a happy ending. :)

Great post, Mr. ED,

There are 4 cameras installed, however only one of them was working - the one which shows the footage of them picking up their gear.

When I checked the Minutes of the Council meetings from the area, there were recommendations to have the other 3 cams at the harbor in working order.

This never happened. Even after theft after a break in to a car in the parking lot. There is a surveillance camera there but not in working condition. Councillors recommended all 4 surveillance cameras to be working at all times at Ucluelet harbor. This was from 2006!

Unfortunately without the working surveillance cams, we cannot see what they were walking towards. Makes me wonder whether (if) there were perps in a car waiting for them - that the perps knew there was no working cam in that area. Local people would be aware of that or others could be told that.

We did discuss whether they intended to take the next bus. Dan seemed to be hurrying, in my view, towards something, and not waiting for Ryan. There was a discussion on this thread of the possibility of the two of them being waylaid on their way to purchase tickets for the next bus.

Was Dan hurrying towards a car or towards another destination - a bus or an arranged ride somewhere? We will likely never know.

Apparently there is a cam monitoring the road in and out of town.

This is a case where it's possible we may always have more questions than answers.

Time will tell.

Brilliant find! Good sleuthing.

Even with DEA involved I still think someone local in the community knows who is responsible but not talking. Same with Ben Kilmer, I think these are very local crimes but maybe tied to bigger deals. I just think someone/some people know who's involved in both cases and too scared or are maybe connected through association and don't want to speak up.

Yes. It seemed like she had resigned herself to the fact that they had succumbed to foul play quite early on. It kind of made me sad, although it didn't necessarily surprise me. She must have known something--and I say that as my gut instinct NOT as a judgment on her. If I had a spouse and they told me they were buying a boat from Panama and sailing it back to BC, it would have raised A LOT of red flags and there would have been a discussion of sorts. Granted, she may not have known any particular details but she must have had some sort of awareness, even if only by her own gut instincts.

Why do you think they are leaving the details of the cause of death out of the headlines still? What would be the objective here to do so with a month since them being found? Anyone?

The method of killing could reveal a signature killing of a certain drug gang and perhaps LE has knowledge that Dan and Ryan were working for another gang and revealing this information might lead to some type of gang drug war on the Island. Just speculating.

I noticed that LE has not released any statement that the public at large is at risk. I am assuming LE believes that Dan and Ryan were targeted and were killed soon after leaving the harbor. I hope LE is taking a close look at Dan or Ryan's girl friend who was contacted to give them a ride out of town but was unable to but could she have contacted someone else to give Dan and Ryan a ride.

Maybe we are stressing the drug aspect too much and maybe this killing was the work of a serial killer. Maybe the bodies were mutilated in a ritualistic way which might indicate a cult factor and LE doesn't want to scare the public.

Last edited:
The method of killing could reveal a signature killing of a certain drug gang and perhaps LE has knowledge that Dan and Ryan were working for another gang and revealing this information might lead to some type of gang drug war on the Island. Just speculating.

I noticed that LE has not released any statement that the public at large is at risk. I am assuming LE believes that Dan and Ryan were targeted and were killed soon after leaving the harbor. I hope LE is taking a close look at Dan or Ryan's girl friend who was contacted to give them a ride out of town but was unable to but could she have contacted someone else to give Dan and Ryan a ride.

Maybe we are stressing the drug aspect too much and maybe this killing was the work of a serial killer. Maybe the bodies were mutilated in a ritualistic way which might indicate a cult factor and LE doesn't want to scare the public.

DEA is not coming in for a serial killer safe to say we can rule that one out, I like your thoughts on the gang vs gang, much more relevant. It also makes me think about that they were on the west road, the road to take them to Jordan River, some one actually had them on the desired road to get home, was it a planned outcome? a double crossing? I go back and think of that stilll frame shot of them coming off the dock, Dan leading the way head up poised staring ahead with a happy grin, Ryan in behind head to the side also grinning with what looks to be a sly smile, as far as body language goes this does not look like men going to die or a look of endangerment. I also have made the speculation that who ever is in the parking lot maybe Dans doing since he is looking off in this sort of manner and leading the way, he is also the first to head to the parking lot, and stops says something to Ryan, then heads off out of camera. This is all pure speculation, but this would be the mannerisms associated to the movements if it were some one that he had picking them up. Dan we know did phone a X, so who else did Dan contact? They were in need of a ride, what are the possibilities hypothetically speaking? Why do we not know of anyone else being asked? If she said no, one goes on to the next call and asking some one else one would think? Hypothesis to this for me include: A) X girlfriend gave the ride and is lying. B) X girlfriend sent some one else. C) Picked up by some one known by one of them and double crossed. D) Local caught on and they were set up/intercepted. E) forced mules and then killed. F) Ben Kilmer. Although Rcmp says no connection, how are they so sure? Or are they keeping a connection quiet? G)Random act, although this has been ruled out by rcmp.

Why do you think they are leaving the details of the cause of death out of the headlines still? What would be the objective here to do so with a month since them being found? Anyone?

What siliconrod said and also to build a case if it (hopefully) comes to court as well not tip off any suspects. The weapon and murder details and might be a big factor of evidence so they might want to keep it close to the vest as they should.

DEA is not coming in for a serial killer safe to say we can rule that one out, I like your thoughts on the gang vs gang, much more relevant. It also makes me think about that they were on the west road, the road to take them to Jordan River, some one actually had them on the desired road to get home, was it a planned outcome? a double crossing? I go back and think of that stilll frame shot of them coming off the dock, Dan leading the way head up poised staring ahead with a happy grin, Ryan in behind head to the side also grinning with what looks to be a sly smile, as far as body language goes this does not look like men going to die or a look of endangerment. I also have made the speculation that who ever is in the parking lot maybe Dans doing since he is looking off in this sort of manner and leading the way, he is also the first to head to the parking lot, and stops says something to Ryan, then heads off out of camera. This is all pure speculation, but this would be the mannerisms associated to the movements if it were some one that he had picking them up. Dan we know did phone a X, so who else did Dan contact? They were in need of a ride, what are the possibilities hypothetically speaking? Why do we not know of anyone else being asked? If she said no, one goes on to the next call and asking some one else one would think? Hypothesis to this for me include: A) X girlfriend gave the ride and is lying. B) X girlfriend sent some one else. C) Picked up by some one known by one of them and double crossed. D) Local caught on and they were set up/intercepted. E) forced mules and then killed. F) Ben Kilmer. Although Rcmp says no connection, how are they so sure? Or are they keeping a connection quiet? G)Random act, although this has been ruled out by rcmp.

I have been curious about the ex-GF and not her particularly but who she maybe surrounds herself with. Maybe she sent someone else like you say, or told a friend of friend who is a bad seed. Just never know, bad things happen through association a lot of the time in crime.

Good eye on the body language! They definitely didn't seem to know what they were in for, leaving that dock. And absolutely--they would have kept calling others if/when the ex said she couldn't pick them up. They seemed happy to see whoever was waiting for them.

My gut tells me there is a connection with the Ben Kilmer case, but I could be wrong. The timing is about right from when Ben disappeared to the time Dan and Ryan left the dock. Could someone have snatched Ben, then headed over to intercept Dan and Ryan?

I was born and raised in BC and the drug trade here is out of control. With the current opioid crisis and the pending legalization of cannabis, supply and demand are at an all time high. Seemingly "normal" people are being recruited to do small parts in larger operations. Then they become disposable.

I have been curious about the ex-GF and not her particularly but who she maybe surrounds herself with. Maybe she sent someone else like you say, or told a friend of friend who is a bad seed. Just never know, bad things happen through association a lot of the time in crime.

I was thinking somewhat along these lines last night.

I'm currently in the camp that's leaning pretty strongly toward this being drug related, and was considering the possibility that the ex may have been acting throughout as an intermediary between Dan/Ryan and whoever was on the receiving end of the deal.

Like, it could be that they were expecting to be picked up by that person, but they knew in advance they would contact the ex to arrange the pickup because they didn't want a direct phone link to someone they were making a gigantic drug deal with.

From there, any number of things could have gone wrong. Maybe the recipient didn't want to pay Dan and Ryan and killed them as a result, but that seems shaky because I'd imagine the amount they would be paid as middlemen would be kind of inconsequential compared to what the buyer would have had to pay the cartel or whoever for the total shipment. (also, if they were trying to save a few bucks--or just take out any general witnesses/participants for the sake of it--it would make sense for them to take out the ex as well.)

I lean more towards something unexpected going wrong after pickup, and prior to or during the transaction. What exactly that was, I have no idea.

Also, unrelated, but for what it's worth, I don't think whatever happened to them is related to Ben Kilmer.

I was thinking somewhat along these lines last night.

I'm currently in the camp that's leaning pretty strongly toward this being drug related, and was considering the possibility that the ex may have been acting throughout as an intermediary between Dan/Ryan and whoever was on the receiving end of the deal.

Like, it could be that they were expecting to be picked up by that person, but they knew in advance they would contact the ex to arrange the pickup because they didn't want a direct phone link to someone they were making a gigantic drug deal with.

From there, any number of things could have gone wrong. Maybe the recipient didn't want to pay Dan and Ryan and killed them as a result, but that seems shaky because I'd imagine the amount they would be paid as middlemen would be kind of inconsequential compared to what the buyer would have had to pay the cartel or whoever for the total shipment. (also, if they were trying to save a few bucks--or just take out any general witnesses/participants for the sake of it--it would make sense for them to take out the ex as well.)

I lean more towards something unexpected going wrong after pickup, and prior to or during the transaction. What exactly that was, I have no idea.

Also, unrelated, but for what it's worth, I don't think whatever happened to them is related to Ben Kilmer.
Wow, excellent thoughts on the ex gf and her involvement. Totally makes sense. I agree--anything could have gone wrong from the pick-up. People involved in this lifestyle tend to operate from a place of greed and paranoia, so it could have been premeditated or complete impulsivity.

As for the BK connection - I think it could be related. Probably not directly, but at the very least I feel like both were working for the same "organization". The way his van was abandoned screams ambush. I think BK's part in the operation was doing electrical work and wiring (seeing as this was his trade). Perhaps he wanted out or saw/heard too much? I've been back and forth on this thought, however, and have posted more details in his forum.

Also wondering if there is any relation to either of these cases to the June 30 Chemainus/Crofton raid?

https://www.ladysmithchronicle.com/news/rcmp-seize-fentanyl-weapons-in-chemainus-crofton-drug-raids/

If so, I hope LE are able to get the individuals in custody to make the connection. It would be great to see how things unfold full circle. It would be a much needed public service announcement of sorts.

What siliconrod said and also to build a case if it (hopefully) comes to court as well not tip off any suspects. The weapon and murder details and might be a big factor of evidence so they might want to keep it close to the vest as they should.

Awful to contemplate, but
post mortem animal predation may have left little or no forensic evidence needed to find the Cod.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rainydaze17
Back