GUILTY TX - Haruka Weiser, 18, found murdered, UT-Austin campus, 3 April 2016 *Arrest*

Thanks Yes/No for covering this trial.

Been reading along where I find the time and you are doing an amazing job.

Its an interesting and sad case. Surprised
there is not more interest from others.

Wanted to thank you for your coverage.

Megan Menchaca‏ @meganmenchaca13 16m16 minutes ago
Criner said he was really excited to find two bikes, somewhere in Austin. He said "That was a good day." "I was excited" "I was like OH YEAH I'm gonna take this bike"

Adela Uchida‏ @adelauchida 17m17 minutes ago
Criner gets very excited about finding two bikes, taking them. His voice got very energetic. The second bike had no brakes but he rode it around anyway

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 18m18 minutes ago
He went out looking for the glasses and he found two bikes. Then went back to Medical Arts building. He was going to the hospital every day to charge his technology

Megan Menchaca‏ @meganmenchaca13 15m15 minutes ago
Criner said he left the glasses in the storage room and when he came back to get the glasses, the door was locked.

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 17m17 minutes ago
He did not have any cell service or money at this time

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 15m15 minutes ago
Criner said he then went into the city and got job applications from several places including the hospital. Two people tried to mug him, he pulled out his knife to scare them and biked back to the Medical Arts building

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 15m15 minutes ago
Criner said he got job application from hospital. Two people tried to mug him, but he scared them off with a "huge blade" he keeps in his computer bag. He then got on his bike and took off to abandoned building.

Criner says two people tried to mug him, but he was very hesitant to talk about it. "I try to avoid the negative," he said.

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 14m14 minutes ago
Defense finally brings a date into this to give us an idea on where we are timeline-wise. Saturday April 2. Prior to this, Criner said he found two bikes. Also said two people tried to mug him, but he used his "huge blade" that he says caused him to hesitate.

Adela Uchida‏ @adelauchida 3m3 minutes ago
Criner says in the day or days after he stated squatting in the medical arts bldg, he found three bags and a bike with working brakes on a “scouting trip.” Says one bag had condoms, ropes and gloves. Said another had clothes, a laptop, a shoe.

Criner said Saturday, the day before Weiser's death, was a "great day" because he found huge blankets by a dumpster. "I had this couch, this table, all kinds of stuff."

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 19m19 minutes ago
Now we're at April 2, day before Haruka Weiser was killed. It was a Saturday. "Saturday was a great day. I found blankets by a dumpster. I found a couch ... a table."

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 17m17 minutes ago
Criner said he got help from guy passing by to push couch to abandoned building. Then a girl helped him get the couch into the building using "a pulley system."

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 17m17 minutes ago
Ok: now we are at Saturday, April, 2: the day before Haruka died.

Now we’re up to Saturday 4/2/2016. Criner found a couch and a table “It was a great day” he said

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 14m14 minutes ago
Criner said a guy helped him push the couch and a girl helped him get into the Medical Arts building . These people seem to be just people he met passing by
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 20m20 minutes ago
Now we're on April 3, day Weiser was killed. ... He got another job application at a restaurant - something called Joe's. He said he got lost and by time sun set he was back in abandoned building.

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 20m20 minutes ago
SUNDAY APRIL 3: says he got a job application, and got lost but was back to the vacant building by sunset. He says he was riding a black bike that day. He also went to the hospital to download stuff on his phone before going back to the vacant building.

Megan Menchaca‏ @meganmenchaca13 19m19 minutes ago
Criner said he went to get a job application the morning of Weiser's death, went to the hospital to access wifi for the job application, and then went back to the abandoned building. No mention at all of being on UT Austin's campus. This seems like this is his alibi.

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 25m25 minutes ago
He was trying to download things onto tablet but had to reboot his tablet but it kept “messing up.” Then he said he went to sleep. This was the evening of 4/3/2016 when Weiser was last heard from. @KXAN_News

Megan Menchaca‏ @meganmenchaca13 21m21 minutes ago
Criner says he found the red bike (that prosecutors say Weiser's killer had before her death) near a dumpster the day AFTER Weiser's death.

Megan Menchaca‏ @meganmenchaca13 17m17 minutes ago
Criner is now saying he found ropes, condoms, and clothes in a dumpster the day after Weiser's death. These are some of the items that prosectors say belong to either Weiser or the person responsible for her death.

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 24m24 minutes ago
The next day - April 4, after Weiser was dead but not found - Criner says he went to dumpsters. Found black trash bag as well as red girls' bike that detectives say a man on surveillance video was riding on night Weiser was killed.

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 21m21 minutes ago
Now we’re at 4/4/2016. He found more possessions nearby including a 3rd bike. He made a fire to warm himself and then looked through what he brought in:

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 19m19 minutes ago
He brought in several trash bags from outside. Criner said the contents were: condoms, ropes, gloves, a laptop, a phone, and a single shoe.

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 25m25 minutes ago
Criner said he went back to trash bag and brought contents back to abandoned building where he started a fire to stay warm. Black bag-condoms, books, glove. Yellow bag-clothes, phone, ropes. Another bag had papers and laptop and a shoe.

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 10m10 minutes ago
He says he also found only one shoe so he "just threw it to the side". He said it landed in the fire. "At first I didn’t notice, but, yeah, it landed halfway in the fire, I didn’t notice until the smoke started turning black.”

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 9m9 minutes ago
Criner said he also found a phone, but it wouldn't turn on and didn't match his chargers. He tried to get the sim card out by smashing the phone. the sim card didn't fit his, so he says he threw the phone in the fire.

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 8m8 minutes ago
"Yo, wassup?!" Crier recalls greeting firefighters and police officers at the vacant building.

Somehow the shoe ended up in the fire and the rubber was burning. He put the fire out but Criner said the fire department came because of the smoke. Then the police came. They told Criner he couldn’t stay so he went to LifeWorks shelter

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 9m9 minutes ago
AT LIFEWORKS: Criner says he was there a few days. “I was trying to get a bus pass so I could get back to my stuff, but I had to wait at least three or four days.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JMO
ok this is where i really dont believe him.

Everyone knows you dont put rubber or plastic in a fire to keep warm. The smoke is terrible and toxic to breath.

Wood YES. Plastic and rubber soled shoes NO

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 17m17 minutes ago
Criner called getting arrested "the most awesome thing that ever happened to me." Door broken down, dogs barking, police with guns telling him to get down on the ground. He said he was confused.

Megan Menchaca‏ @meganmenchaca13 11m11 minutes ago
Criner said being arrested was the most awesome thing that ever happened to him. He said the police had dogs and huge guns. They told him to get down on the ground and they wouldn't let the dog loose.

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 12m12 minutes ago
GETTING ARRESTED AT SHELTER: “I know I’m in jail and all, but that was the most awesome thing that ever happened to me," Criner remembers. "These guys have huge guns like get down on the ground right now, and I was like oh my gosh.”

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 18m18 minutes ago
Criner says he was confused what was happening at first. "Get down on the ground, and we wont let the dog loose. So that kind of cleared up the fog a bit”

Adela Uchida‏ @adelauchida 19m19 minutes ago
Criner says police then took him to Lifeworks, where he stayed for h next few days. On Thursday, though, APD came and arrested him. “That was the most awesome thing that ever happened to me.”

Adela Uchida‏ @adelauchida 20m20 minutes ago
Criner says police burst in and said “Get down on the ground and we won’t let the dog loose!”

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 16m16 minutes ago
Det. Anthony Nelson interviewed Criner, but Criner said he was confused. Thought he was being questioned about fire.

Criner says he knows why he's in court. "Yes, and I’m mostly confused about that.”

Defense; “you know they charged you with murdering a girl.” Criner; “Yes.” Defense: “had you seen that person before?” Criner; “no.”

Defense; “Mick, did you kill Haruka (name mispronounced) Weiser?” Criner; “No.”

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 16m16 minutes ago
"Mick did you kill Haruka Weiser?” “No sir.” Criner says he did not run into anyone wearing all black on Sunday night and says he did not have the red bike yet.

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 14m14 minutes ago
Criner says he has never seen Haruka Weiser. Attorney Ariel Payan: "Mick, did you kill Haruka Weiser?" Criner: "No, sir."

Megan Menchaca‏ @meganmenchaca13 14m14 minutes ago
Ariel Payan, defense attorney: "Did you kill Haruka Weiser?" Meechaiel Criner: "No sir."

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 19m19 minutes ago
Criner testifies he was in LifeWorks 3-4 days, during that time he didn’t wash any of his clothes. That Thursday when police came and arrested him at the shelter

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 12m12 minutes ago
Criner says glasses found at scene "look like my glasses but they're too small."

Defense now showing Criner glasses. He says "they look kind of small" and notes that there aren't any bite marks on the end. Defense said Criner chews on the end of his glasses.

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 31m31 minutes ago
Criner says the glasses found in the creek bed near Weiser’s body are too small. There are no chew marks on them and he typically chews on his glasses. He does not think the glasses we’ve been talking about all trial are his

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 11m11 minutes ago
Defense is through with questions to Criner. Prosecutors will get a chance at him after a short break. Stand by.

Adela Uchida‏ @adelauchida 14m14 minutes ago
Judge is calling the afternoon recess

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 2m2 minutes ago
We are in a recess now. Apologies for any spelling errors in the above tweets. Criner said at the beginning of his testimony that he has a speech impediment and talks VERY fast. Was trying to keep up and didn't get a chance to proofread.

Adela Uchida‏ @adelauchida 13m13 minutes ago
There was some kind of outburst from Criner. “Oh wait I forgot ((unintelligible))...” and judge waved at him and said that’s all right. Now judge conferring with attorneys

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 5m5 minutes ago
Lawyers for both sides are meeting with Judge Wahlberg in his chambers. Brief recess.

Adela Uchida‏ @adelauchida 12m12 minutes ago
The courtroom is overflowing, standing room only. I am a little surprised the judge is allowing the ten or so people standing in the aisle.

Megan Menchaca‏ @meganmenchaca13 12m12 minutes ago
We're taking an EXTENDED break. The judge is talking with the lawyers in private after Criner's testimony.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
I hope the prosecution asks him how he started the fire and if there was any wood at all in it.

Also hope to find out how cold it was that night since he said he lit fire to keep warm.

His main defense seems to be that all evidence pointing to him is because he found it in trash bins and that the real murderer must have thrown it in trash bin.

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 14m14 minutes ago
About to begin again. Haruka Weiser's father, Thomas Weiser, has returned to courtroom for state's cross-examination of Criner.

Defense objects to state questioning Criner on contents of notebook. Motion denied. Jury coming back into the courtroom.

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 13m13 minutes ago
We're back. Jury is about to enter. Weiser's father is back in the courtroom.

Prosecutor Guillermo Gonzalez opens cross examination by putting up photo of Meechaiel Criner wearing orange bandana around his neck. Photo was taken days before Weiser's death. Gonzalez: "Who is that?" Criner: "That's sexy me!"

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 11m11 minutes ago
Btw, standing room only crowd in the courtroom.

Megan Menchaca‏ @meganmenchaca13 8m8 minutes ago
Prosecutor Gonzalez shows Criner a photo of him with an orange bandana taken at St. David's Hosptial. "Who is that?" - Gonzalez. "That's sexy me." - Criner.

Adela Uchida‏ @adelauchida 13m13 minutes ago
Prosecution begins cross examination of Meechaiel Criner. Shows a picture. “Who is that?” Criner: “That’s sexy me.” Picture was taken at St David’s Hospital.

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 11m11 minutes ago
"That's sexy me!" Criner identifies himself in one of the selfies seen earlier in court. This picture is from the tablet. Criner says he stole the bandanna he was wearing.

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 14m14 minutes ago
State is cross examining . Shows Criner a selfie photo the detective extracted from his tablet in March of 2016. Criner identifies himself in the photo “that’s sexy me”

Adela Uchida‏ @adelauchida 16m16 minutes ago
Prosecution: “When you were at Ellison High School, was there special ed physics?” Criner: “No.”

"I don't think physics is special ed," Criner said. "I don't think so either," said prosecutors.

Adela Uchida‏ @adelauchida 15m15 minutes ago
Prosecution: “you were taking some serious classes.” Criner: “Not serious. The classes I was supposed to take.”

Even MORE people in the courtroom now.

Megan Menchaca‏ @meganmenchaca13 10m10 minutes ago
Prosecution: "Do you love your grandma?" Criner: "I love everybody."

Megan Menchaca‏ @meganmenchaca13 11m11 minutes ago
Prosecution: Would you do anything your sister, Ariana, asked you to? Criner: "Not anything. I won’t do anything wrong...I won’t do anything that’s like against my sense of morals."

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 8m8 minutes ago
Criner says he found red bicycle in dumpster near the abandoned building where he was living. He also found three bags - yellow, black and blue.

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 6m6 minutes ago
Criner says he also found yellow ropes that looked like the ones he had in the storage room. Weiser was found with a yellow rope around her neck when she died.

Adela Uchida‏ @adelauchida 8m8 minutes ago
State: questioning Criner on 3 bags he says he found in trash bag. Included ropes: a white one, a blue one, the leather belt and “that’s about it.”

Adela Uchida‏ @adelauchida 6m6 minutes ago
State: “The building right across from the stadium. What did you think that was?” Criner: “What? Can you be a little more specific?” It got a little tense there.

Criner starting to getting angry with Gonzalez over what he calls a confusing question.

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 7m7 minutes ago
"Can you be a little more specific because you're confusing me." Criner is getting confused by the state's questions regarding how he didn't know he was on a college campus.

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 4m4 minutes ago
Criner said he left behind the hammer at the storage room in the UT stadium. A hammer was found at the crime scene.

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 7m7 minutes ago
Criner saying he left behind hammer in stadium storage room. Hammer was found near the scene of homicide.

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 5m5 minutes ago
Criner said he kept some of the ropes: “Just in case I need to tie things down or something.”

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 3m3 minutes ago
Criner says he put the phone in the fire after he took the sim card out. He says he saw it still in the fire when he left the vacant building.

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 2m2 minutes ago
Criner says at abandoned building he took phone he found at dumpster and tried to remove SIM card. When he failed, he tossed it into the fire. Phone likely belonged to Weiser, detectives say.

Adela Uchida‏ @adelauchida 2m2 minutes ago
Criner is testifying that violence makes him angry, rape makes him angry. It is getting a bit combative.

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 5m5 minutes ago
Criner clarifies he left the hammer in the storage room at the UT stadium when he was kicked out . He also left most of the ropes at the stadium storage room except the “thick white one, the blue one, and the belt”

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 4m4 minutes ago
Criner tells the state he found the red bicycle the morning he was arrested in a dumpster as well as a back pack and a trash bag as well as the dark jacket they’ve been talking about in trial
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 6m6 minutes ago
State is now showing a journal that Criner identifies with his handwriting.

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 4m4 minutes ago
Criner says rape and other violence makes him angry. But he has a notebook with writings about rape that we're about to hear about.

Adela Uchida‏ @adelauchida 4m4 minutes ago
State: “You shouldn’t be thinking about rape, correct?” Pause. Criner: “No.” He goes on to talk about it being interesting in his he movies. They are leading to a story Criner wrote some years ago.

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 59s59 seconds ago
The writing is titled: Therapy Gone Wrong "She was wearing on black tight skirt that hugged her perfect round *advertiser censored*, black high heels that rung throughout the room each time she walks on the hard marble floor, and a white blouse that open enough to let her double C...”

Adela Uchida‏ @adelauchida 1m1 minute ago
Criner reading he first page of the story. I can read it on the screen “She was wearing on black tight skirt that hug her perfect round *advertiser censored*...”

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 7m7 minutes ago
"Unless it's action movies or in books." Criner agrees that rape is violence. "It makes me angry." "But i like to watch it in movies in stuff, because it's interesting."

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 6m6 minutes ago
Criner testified that he doesn’t like violence. He says he doesn’t like rape and that rape makes him angry

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 6m6 minutes ago
"I hate anger." Criner continually says, "I don't like violence." "I would still write about it, but in the end, the hero is going to win." "The raper is never the hero."

Criner’s yellow notebook with his writing in it is being called into evidence. He clarified to the prosecutors that rape makes him angry but he’s more ok with fictional representations of violence because “I expect the underdog is gonna win”

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 3m3 minutes ago
Prosecutor: You shouldn’t be writing about rape? Criner: “The raper is never gonna be the hero” He clarifies that there are ways to still write while avoiding violent rape

"There's a lot of *advertiser censored* in it." Now looking at the top page of one of Criner's stories.

Megan Menchaca‏ @meganmenchaca13 6m6 minutes ago
Now the courtroom is being read a document from Criner's journal that Criner says he wrote. Criner says "There's a lot of *advertiser censored* in it." He's right. There's a lot to process here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This part was a little damning to me. "Just in case"....."or something". ok

And then when he admitted that he would write stories about rape but the good guy always wins or something like that.

Im not sure about the jury but I am starting to not believe him very much. He comes across way too arrogant and cockey to me. He sure dont seem worried.

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 5m5 minutes ago
Criner said he kept some of the ropes: “Just in case I need to tie things down or something.”

Criner, complimented by Gonzalez on his writing skills, says it is his first draft.

Man in Criner's story, Mic, tells therapist he has been "sex sleeping" and wakes up in a woman's bed. "I think I'm raping people in my sleep."

Megan Menchaca‏ @meganmenchaca13 1m1 minute ago
The story being read to the court room is called "Therapy Gone Wrong." It's about a therapist who has a male client named Jim Mic who thinks he is raping people in his sleep.

The piece is called: “Therapy Gone Wrong” a woman talking to a doctor who thinks she has a problem: she is “sex sleeping” where she wakes up in other beds, and the problem is getting worse. “I think I’m raping people in my sleep,” she tells her doctor.

We are reading Criner’s handwritten story so it takes a while to read it. The prosecutor is reading out loud to the courtroom
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is wild stuff going on in the courtroom.

I think the prosecuter is out of line here. Unecessary and evidence was speaking for itself that he had previous fantasies about rape in his stories. No need for this sort of comment by prosecuter. This is how prosecuters can get the jury to turn on them IMO

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 17s17 seconds ago

"You want us to keep reading this don't you?" State asks Criner. Criner says, "I'm just trying to figure you out."

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 8m8 minutes ago
Criner's writings are very imaginative and colorful. The grammar is not awful.

Megan Menchaca‏ @meganmenchaca13 6m6 minutes ago
We're on at least page four of this. The prosecution is reading every word from the notebook that this story is written in.

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 7m7 minutes ago
To be clear, I’m not exactly sure who is the man or the woman: the therapist or the patient in this story. But whoever the man was has been hypnotized and transformed to a turned-on monster. Again these are Criner’s writings from the yellow notebook

The writing is getting very colorful. Now talking about when the character picked up the therapist and took her clothes off. Writing describes the doctor screaming for help.

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 4m4 minutes ago
I won’t share all the details but safe to say the woman in the story was sexually assaulted. “Yessir I wrote that” Criner says after the state asks

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 3m3 minutes ago
This story is from several different people's point of views. It's very sexual and graphic.

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 3m3 minutes ago
"You want us to keep reading this don't you?" State asks Criner. Criner says, "I'm just trying to figure you out."

Criner to Gonzalez: "I'm still trying to figure you out."

Megan Menchaca‏ @meganmenchaca13 4m4 minutes ago
Gonzalez, the lead prosecutor: Do you want us to keep reading this? Criner: ...No. Gonzalez: Do you like this? Criner. I'm just trying to figure you out. Can you be more specific?

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 7m7 minutes ago
Prosecutor: “You like writing this stuff don’t you?” Criner:*pauses* “I’m just trying to figure you out”

The story repeatedly references the enormous size of the man's, uh, yeah. Keep in mind there are seven women on the jury. The two that are in my line of sight look disgusted.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This story is extremely sexual and graphic. I'm uncomfortable just listening to this.

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 2m2 minutes ago
And.....it just got even MORE graphic. People are visibly cringing in the courtroom

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 55s56 seconds ago
FROM THE WRITING: "The way she shouted it made me want to ---- her even more."

Adela Uchida‏ @adelauchida 2m2 minutes ago
The prosecution continues to read Criner’s story. It is extremely sexual and graphic. The story is about a man forcing a woman to have sex with him. The female character repeatedly asks the male to stop. It spurs the male on.

Megan Menchaca‏ @meganmenchaca13 2m2 minutes ago
This story is incredibly sexual and graphic. I think if I quoted a single sentence from this, Twitter would probably censor my tweets.

We are still listening to the prosecutor reading the story, the woman has been sexually assaulted again and is screaming in pain and yelling for him to stop

Haruka Weiser’s dad Thomas is in the courtroom listening to this.

Criner clarifies about his writing, “it’s mostly based off of *advertiser censored* videos I watched.”

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 41s42 seconds ago
Gonzalez is done reading the story. Criner says the story was written off of a *advertiser censored* he watched.

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 24s24 seconds ago
Criner says he watches *advertiser censored* and then writes about it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im surprised the judge allowed this journal to be entered into evidence. Its good for the prosecution but from a legal standpoint Im surprised since it was written as a ficticious story by him years ago.

I hope this is not a possible appeal issue in future

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back