CT - Eden Claxton, 74, murdered, at home, Stuns Quiet Stamford Neighborhood, July 2018 *Arrest*

Thursday, July 19th:
*Prelim Hearing (@ ET) – CT – Eden Claxton (64) (June 11, 2018) – Allen Claxton (75) – arrested & charged (6/28/18) & arraigned (6/30/18) with 1 count of murder.
Plead not guilty. $1.5M bond; posted $150K bond & released. A botched murder/suicide; he voluntarily surrendered.

I thought they both were in their 70s? He 75, her 74? Possibly in his thinking, til death us do part is to be determined by him. It's hard to imagine they were out doing yard work that day (which my hubby and I both enjoy), and he decides she's not worth the money he's having to pay to keep them together. She obviously wasn't physically suffering at that point in time. But, she had more tests/treatments coming up. Seems in this case, "the LOVE of money IS the root of this evil." IMHO. MOO

I think, for some, it is so much easier to climb up a ladder than to spiral back down (which, in his greedy mind, he thought would happen). He's passed his "three score and twenty" and it's downhill now, for the most part, I would imagine. Now there's absolutely NO ONE in his life to walk down the hill with him. No children, just possibly some relatives watching the clock. MOO

Thank you for catching my typo!
animated-smileys-computer-02.gif

This article is not available in my region!!!

Not guilty plea made by Westover husband accused of murdering wife

Can someone give us a 10% synopsis of this article. Is there a next court date in there?

Or does it just talk about his "upcoming" hearing for today?

TIA! :)
Not guilty plea made by Westover husband accused of murdering wife
Updated 2:45 pm EDT, Thursday, July 19, 2018
STAMFORD-Allen Claxton, the 75-year-old Westover man who is accused of slitting his wife’s throat made a not guilty plea to a murder charge at his second appearance at the Stamford courthouse Thursday morning.

Right after the brief hearing before Judge Donald Kowalski, Claxton’s attorney Ed Gavin said the case has been continued to August 31.
[...]

Okay - I can't read this...

Attorney: man charged with murdering his wife takes own life

Did he kill himself??

I guess so.....

“ The attorney for Allen Claxton, who was charged with murdering his wife last month, says Claxton has taken his own life.”

“Atty Ed Gavin tells FOX61 he couldn’t reach Claxton yesterday, and asked Stamford police to conduct a wellness check. They found the 75-year-old man dead from an apparent suicide at his home.”

Hmm..... at least he save the State $$ for a trial.
If I was 75 & accused to murder, I believe I would NOT want to live the rest of my life in a prison.

Friday, August 31st:
*Prelim Hearing (@ ET) – CT – Eden Claxton (74) (June 11, 2018) – Allen Claxton (75) – arrested & charged (6/28/18) & arraigned (6/30/18) with 1 count of murder. Plead not guilty. $1.5M bond; posted $150K bond & released.
A botched murder/suicide; he voluntarily surrendered. Police found him in his home hanging with a rope around his neck.
7/19/18 Update – Plead not guilty, next hearing is August 31st.
Committed suicide….

Standing before Judge Richard Comerford in a first-floor courtroom of the Stamford courthouse on Friday, Stamford State’s Attorney Richard Colangelo asked that the murder charge against Claxton be nolled. A half-second passed and Claxton’s attorney Edward Gavin asked that the charge be dismissed. “No objection,” Colangelo immediately told Comerford, who then acceded to the request.

“I’m personally heart broken that something like this would happen to two honest, good people that you would be happy to have as neighbors,” Gavin said after the hearing.

Gavin said that it is customary to dismiss such charges against a person who dies while accused, much like former Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez, who had his murder conviction cleared last year after he hanged himself in prison.

Related Stories

Experts: Prevention of Claxton’s suicide not possible in Conn.
July 23, 2018
[...]
Although police had thought Claxton’s suicide was a “distinct possibility” from the onset of their investigation, there was little they could do beyond near daily contact with him, and notifying the hospital and his attorney of their concerns, Conklin said.

And oddly, Claxton’s brief freedom could be pegged to the state constitution, which affords residents the ability to post bond, therefore disallowing so-called preventative detention, the holding of the accused for public safety.

“Under our state constitution, everyone is entitled to bail no matter what,” said Mike Lawlor, state under secretary for criminal justice policy and planning, who added that most states allow for preventative detention.

It would take an amendment to the constitution to allow for detention. And even then, it might be hard to detain Claxton.

“I’m not sure he would qualify,” Lawlor said. “You have to prove he was a danger to the community.”

Conklin said Claxton had no criminal record and neighbors considered him and Eden a quiet couple, best known for gardening together.
[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back