Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree National Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like the National Geographic ones, too. They are easier to read than the USGS ones, are based on the USGS maps, and are easy to get hold of. They would make sense to pretty much anyone who understands contours. Some even have trail profiles, so you can tell for sure when you go up and when down.

Thanks for the tip.

I have heard of such maps, but never used one. Then again, now that you mention it, my Pueblo Bonito map was sold as USGS, but seems different. In either case, I am going to order a National Geographic one for my next hiking trip to New Mexico. I think it will be fun to see the difference.

Last edited:
Evidently, the hiker's cell phone was found in the car:

Search for missing Guelph man reaches day 5

If the cell phone was in the car, and he wanted to get some pictures, then he would have had to have another camera to take with him on the trail?

We dont know much about what he brought on the trail but that would be a question I think LE should find out about. It could point to him being abducted in the parking lot or something else if his main intention was taking pictures and he had nothing but the cell phone.

"A spokesperson for the park says they found Miller’s car with his cell inside at the trailhead."

https://barrie.ctvnews.ca/search-for-missing-guelph-man-reaches-day-5-1.4016986

I would never conduct a search on my own. I once went to an orientation for people interested in SAR and it's intimidating - I have nothing but respect for the people who do it. The last thing anyone wants is someone else getting hurt - or worse - looking for their loved one. If I was a hired guide to help with a private SAR, I'd kindly request that you stay in the air conditioned motel with your family.

"Take a few pictures" seems odd because he left his cell phone in the car and there is no mention that he had a camera with him. I know they still make inexpensive point-and-shoot digital cameras, but the impression I get is that people either use their cell phone (good ones can take excellent photos, even cheap phones will be fine during the daytime), or they have an expensive DSLR setup with lenses and the works. I don't remember the last time I've seen someone taking photos with a point-and-shoot.

Agreed about something being off, which is why I think we are faced with these possibilities:
  1. Everything is as it has been reported. Paul went for a hike and something happened on the trail (heat stroke, heart attack, fell off rocks, etc.)
  2. Suicide.
  3. Foul play by a stranger at the trailhead or perhaps on the trail. I find this unlikely with what we know - there have been no reports that SAR and the police have seen signs of a struggle, Paul didn't seem to be carrying anything valuable, murders at national parks are very rare, etc.
  4. Paul staged his disappearance for some reason (to run away with a lover? join the circus?)
  5. Wife staged this, perhaps with assistance. Paul was never on the trail. Done for insurance money and to not have to deal with a messy divorce/child custody/etc.
  6. Pure life insurance scam. Paul is alive and well and family intends to re-unite once the check clears.

Thanks for listing out all the possible reasons he is missing. Good list.

A quick note on experienced hikers. I would say that desert hiking in the southwest US is quite different than hiking in the rest of the US and Canada. They have different dangers to be aware of, but it at least means that he would have been familiar with the 10 essentials and hopefully had some reasonable navigational/map skills.

It was asked further up about the trails being closed when it is hot and I do not believe that is done in JTNP. I am sure any ranger would advise against hiking, but I have never seen/heard of them closing a trail. I know some folks in the summer do full moon hikes (in a group of course) as the star gazing is lovely there and the temp falls with no humidity.

Foul play by a stranger at the trailhead or perhaps on the trail. I find this unlikely with what we know - there have been no reports that SAR and the police have seen signs of a struggle, Paul didn't seem to be carrying anything valuable, murders at national parks are very rare, etc.
I agree, foul play by a stranger is extremely remote.

In addition to murders being rare, the National Parks Service does not tolerate transient encampments, squatters with “homesteads”, or other types of land “claimers”. As a result, the Parks Service nips a lot of problems in the bud.

In contrast, I have heard that some National Forests, BLM land and State Forests have large numbers of the above types, plus irresponsible target shooters and in a few cases, militias on “patrols”.

The Spot is a PLB 'Personal Locater Beacon' They generally require an open view of the sky to transmit successfully. When a PLB is activated it will send the information for a 24 hour period and will alert the Air Force, NOAA and USCG. Over the years PLBs have saved over 35,000 lives.

Yeah, if somebody had said PLB instead of a brand name I'd never run across, I would have figured it out a lot sooner :D

It is said they had already packed to go home and he quickly wanted to take a few pictures because they hadn‘t seen the oasis. Also, Paul is said to be a good hiker, no amateur.
Makes sense that she called the park rangers so quickly once he didn’t return. You normally have to leave your hotel room by 11:00 am and they probably had a flight to catch.

Mr. Carbuff is experienced in New England; he hikes 20 or 30 days a year, much of it above tree level in the White Mountains, and makes excursions to other parts of the northeast. But he's always cautious and would be a lot more cautious about hiking in a strange area.
Do I know Mr. Carbuff? LMAO!

.....It’s so odd they chose that photo of him for the flyer if his stats are correct. He looks like a big fella in the pic.

That has been striking to me, too. But people's weight and appearance also fluctuate with medications (like steroids) and chronic health issues (like diabetes). But yes, he looks like a bigger fella than 160 at the time the photo was taken.

You know what else I noticed odd about this case? We went into sleuthing mode about hiking - and shared some great info - but not about the missing person. We know from the people quoted in news articles that he has friends in his hometown, including the mayor and church leader. Is there anything about him that could help decipher this case?

Great point. I guess we were all proceeding from general lack of information and the assumption by LE that he was lost while on a hike.
Sleuthing is always a tricky thing in situations like this, IMO, since it's important not to be sleuthing relatives etc. A good Google session on the hiker might turn up something interesting though!

If I were this woman, I would have to go home to my children. I wouldn't be able to afford to stay longer than planned, fly my children to my location, miss work for who knows how long and hire guides. I would have to trust in LE and in God and just carry on the best I could. This is a horrible situation that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

If I were this woman, I would have to go home to my children. I wouldn't be able to afford to stay longer than planned, fly my children to my location, miss work for who knows how long and hire guides. I would have to trust in LE and in God and just carry on the best I could. This is a horrible situation that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

I agree it's an awful situation and she'd likely be criticized no matter what she did, and what she did or didn't say.

Personally, I think I would be likely to go home even if I could afford to stay. If there was nothing that I personally could be doing, and all I could do was stand around and wait, I'd prefer to do the waiting in my familiar surroundings, with family and friends to strengthen me. If there were searches or something that I could help with, that would be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288