GUILTY TX - Haruka Weiser, 18, found murdered, UT-Austin campus, 3 April 2016 *Arrest*

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 28s29 seconds ago
Gonzalez says Criner wore a condom to prevent DNA transfer to Weiser's sexual organ. Something that appears to be condom wrappers were found inside and outside of UT storage room.

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 32s33 seconds ago
"And he laughed every once and a while, because, you know, it’s only a capital murder trial, and it’s high stakes, and I’m on the stand," Prosecutor brings up Criner's demeanor in court yesterday.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 5m5 minutes ago
Prosecutors say, at medical arts, “found out his affinity for ropes, toe straps, is ongoing.” Says that Criner took some with him when he had to pick what things to bring to the shelter. Also mentions that Criner took a "good number" of gloves.

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 4m4 minutes ago
Prosecutor says there was latex gloves found in his backpack at LifeWorks.

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 3m3 minutes ago
“I think it was pretty clear to all of us that we want to know why you would burn somebody’s boot.” Yesterday Criner laughed when he he realized said the boot accidentally landed in the fire.

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 2m2 minutes ago
State is trying to paint a picture that the warming fire incident and Weiser’s possessions in the trash were efforts by Criner to hide the evidence

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 47s48 seconds ago
"Oh my gosh, you’ve got a bushel of wood there. All the wood you need. Why are you burning the young lady’s boot?” Prosecutor continues, "Or is it more logical that he's starting to know that he's got to get rid of some stuff. He knows what he's doing."

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 2m2 minutes ago
"And if the firemen hadn't gotten there, I wonder what else would have been burned." Prosecutor say her burned her homework and her phone too.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Let's talk about narcissistic, sexy me." Prosecutor brings up Criner ID’ing himself in a selfie, yesterday, wearing the orange bandana, saying “that’s sexy me”. Prosecutor says that bandana was found wet and sandy among Haruka's clothing in the trash bin.

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 1m1 minute ago
Prosecution pulls up the selfie of Criner with the bandana again. Brings up that when Criner saw the photo in courtroom he said “that’s sexy me.” Gonzales asks jury, “Does that talk to you about his personality?”

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 1m1 minute ago
And we're back to the writings. "It's sophisticated writing." For those following the tweets yesterday, Criner said he wrote that story when he was 12. Prosecutors say that "it's quite concerning" and "frightening"

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 55s55 seconds ago
If that's true (written at 12), prosecutors say that means he would have been carrying that notebook around with him for five years. Prosecutors say this could have been deception, saying he didn't want people to know he was thinking about that
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mental health has nothing to do with this," prosecutor reminds jury to be fair to both sides. "Him and Haruka Weiser."

Megan Menchaca‏ @meganmenchaca13 2m2 minutes ago
Gonzalez: "Mental health has nothing to do with this." After over three hours of closing arguments, Gonzalez is wrapping up and is reminding the jury to be fair and impartial to both sides.

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 37s37 seconds ago
“Mental health has nothing to do with this, if it did you would have heard it from the judge in your charge,” Gonzales tells the jury

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 44s45 seconds ago
Gonzales says the violent sex story shows Criner’s fascination with violent sex acts, rape, and brutalizing women.” Criner said he wrote it when he was 12 but Gonzales suggests maybe he lied to distance that writing from the time of the murder
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 27s27 seconds ago
“When you read the charge, remember Haruka,” Gonzales tells the jury. “That’s why we’re here”

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 2m2 minutes ago
Gonzalez: "It's time to do the right thing for her. ... Find him guilty of capital murder."

"Don't forget about her. Don't forget what he put her through. When you read that charge, you think of Haruka Weiser," prosecutor says. "You remember her, that's why we're here." @KVUE

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 56s56 seconds ago
“It’s time to do that right thing for her.” A picture of Haruka is shown to the courtroom. Weiser's dad just took his seat again. MANY observers have their heads down, crying right now. @KVUE

Gonzalez has concluded his closing statement and the jury has been excused for deliberations.

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 2m2 minutes ago
That's it. We're done. Jury will now begin deliberating over lunch. Meechaiel Criner faces an automatic life sentence if convicted of capital murder.

Court is now in recess. We’ll now be waiting for an undetermined period to hear the results of the verdict.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AHHH, glorious verdict watch- like watching paint dry/grass grow...
confused-smiley-face.gif

Late tweets

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 4m4 minutes ago
“Find him guilty of capital murder,” Gonzales tells the jurors before they leave the courtroom. Jurors exit and lots of people are seen tearing up around the courtroom after listening to the state talk about Haruka Weiser @KXAN_News

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 4m4 minutes ago
With jury out of the room, prosecutor Guillermo Gonzalez and defense attorney Ariel Payan shake hands and crack smiles. They had attacked each other's arguments pretty good.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me 3 because the evidence all points to him.

But I would not be surprised of a split hung jury either because lately juries seem afraid to use common sense and want the smoking gun all the time.

I think juries are afraid to commit when there is not a clear cut case.

Even though all the evidence is circumstantial it all points to him.

He had opportunity
He was seen nearby
He was literally burning her stuff (that to me is the smoking gun)
He admitted to liking to watch *advertiser censored* and wrote rape stories so that proves he had fantasies about rape
He is very arrogant and doesnt care much about things so that proves he lacks feelings for others. Lacks remorse IMO

All points to him being the only one that could have done this.

If we are to believe the defense we would have to believe another random killer dumped her stuff in a trash container that he happened to find and take her stuff and decided to burn it to keep warm. No way IMO. He would burn wood to keep warm. Not her stuff.

Guilty 100% IMO

Hope the jury has some common sense this time.

I agree with everything you have stated Hatfield.

Gotta run to collect some tweets from the Cliff Andersen murder trial (Deborah Dewey ). Thank goodness there's not a lot of tweets for that trial, but then it's hard to follow...
confused-smiley-face.gif

What's a toe strap???

Thanks again for all the great coverage of this trial YesorNO.

I know you had to leave. Finally figured out what the "toe straps" was being referred to in the tweet below.

I am pretty sure they were referring to "towing straps" that are used to tie down things when transporting stuff usually in back of a pickup or on a trailer. I find them a lot on side of road because they fall from vehicles that haul stuff, and I have been known to pick them up myself because they come in handy. They
usually are flat and made of strong nylon and some have hooks on the end to hook into holes on a trailer or truck bed. They are very strong and dont break.

Below is a picture of some
Recovery Tow Strap Supplier : Polyester Light : Nylon Heavy Duty Tow Straps : Tow Straps with Cordura Eyes : Lodi Metals Inc.

So I think they were referring to "towing straps" like that. If anyone has ever used "ratchet straps" the flat nylon material in those straps is the type of towing straps I think they were referring to.

It sounds like he liked to pickup ropes and straps like that if he found them. I suspect he had bad motive for wanting them though.

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 1h1 hour ago

Prosecutors say, at medical arts, “found out his affinity for ropes, toe straps, is ongoing.” Says that Criner took some with him when he had to pick what things to bring to the shelter. Also mentions that Criner took a "good number" of gloves.

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 16m16 minutes ago
In my opinion, strongest evidence for defense is the computer activity around time of Weiser's death. Strongest evidence for prosecution is the orange bandanna, glasses at the scene and surveillance video.

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 16m16 minutes ago
Keep in mind, jury cannot find Criner guilty if they have reasonable doubt. Thinking he "probably" did it won't get them there.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BBM Computer activity? There was no "activity"- no websites, etc.

Megan Menchaca‏ @meganmenchaca13 1h1 hour ago
The jury is still deliberating. It has been almost three hours. The judge has not said what time the jury will be dismissed today if they can’t come to a verdict tonight

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 52m52 minutes ago
Jury has now been deliberating for more than three hours. They've got a lot of evidence to discuss. Unclear how long the judge will keep them, but my guess is it won't be much longer. They've got all day tomorrow to figure this out.

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 51m51 minutes ago
REMINDER: Jury was sent back to deliberate 3+ hours ago. Hopefully we'll know something soon. Defense just popped out of the courtroom--When asked, they said no word how much longer. I'll be sure to send something out if/when we learn something.

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 41m41 minutes ago
Still up outside the courtroom. We've seen the defense attorneys walking back and forth but absolutely zero word so far on how far along the jury is in their deliberations

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 40m40 minutes ago
A reminder: if Criner is found guilty, he is not eligible for the death penalty because he was 17 at the time the murder happened. The extent of his punishment could be a life in prison with the possibility of parole after 40 years @KXAN_News
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Megan Menchaca‏ @meganmenchaca13 5m5 minutes ago
We’re being let in the courtroom. Update coming soon.

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 3m3 minutes ago
Lawyers called back into the courtroom. Not sure what this means, but probably sending jury home or jury has reached verdict. Stand by.

UPDATE: We are back in the courtroom. Not sure what will we'll find out next. @KVUE

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 2m2 minutes ago
We just got let back into the courtroom. Will tweet updates. Baliff tells us jury will not be sleeping in a hotel @KXAN_News
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Megan Menchaca‏ @meganmenchaca13 3m3 minutes ago
Bailiff says jury is not going to be sequestered (aka they are not going to be asked to sleep in a hotel). After over four hours of deliberations, the judge is either going to send the jury home to start deliberations again tomorrow or the jury will announce a verdict.

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 1m1 minute ago
At this point, jurors have been deliberating for about four and a half hours.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back