CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
More reports of gunfire near Malibu Creek State Park where Irvine father of 2 killed in June – Daily News
More information on the shots heard:
I assume by no "evidence that shots had been fired" they mean no shell casings were found. The shooter could be using a shell casing catcher:

Shell Catcher: Hunting | eBay
I'm not sure about the 1 am one, but I doubt that the 10 pm one is the same shooter because of the time difference. Of course, there is always the possibility that he has gone out at that time of night before but just never hit anyone/anything that got the shots reported. This who situation gets more confusing to me all the time.

Catching up after a few days off and was Really hoping there would be something to go on by now.

Just MOO but I really doubt that there were holes in the tent related to other incidences. I camp quite a bit and have never had round holes in the tent. The victim and his wife weren't poor, most likely bought a good quality tent - and just MOO it is unlikely that - if their tent had holes in it - wouldn't patch them up before going camping again.

-Someone mentioned him needing to go to the bathroom and turning on a light to get out of the tent. When he turned it on there would be a silhouette and people would be able to target his head. Ugh.

-I still have a hard time believing 1hat someone hit him in the head without *trying* to hit him in the head.

-I still don't understand why someone so well-liked (by all other accounts) only had $10K as a reward. Now it's $30K and even that seems low. The family hasn't put up a reward as far as I can tell - but why isn't it more if they Really want someone to talk?

I'm a newbie here so if someone can explain how rewards work I'd appreciate it. Thank you!

Because we had wondered about it at one point: I was at a nearby REI last week and looked in the map section.

They had a map that covered MCSP and the other parks in that area in pretty fair detail. If I wanted just the park, I would have had to order that. I could have paid there and had it mailed to me, or asked to have it delivered to the store.

The Local Malibu on Twitter

"HEADS UP: @LASDHQ Homicide is coordinating handing out information flyers on the Malibu Creek State Park 187 case to the public Thursday July 19th asking for their help targeting vehicles traveling on Las Virgenes near Mulholland, and Piuma & some local neighborhoods. #malibu"
"They are supposed to distribute today but keep in mind this is organized by Homicide downtown and they could cancel like they did last time. As soon as I get info I will post it!"

Because we had wondered about it at one point: I was at a nearby REI last week and looked in the map section.

They had a map that covered MCSP and the other parks in that area in pretty fair detail. If I wanted just the park, I would have had to order that. I could have paid there and had it mailed to me, or asked to have it delivered to the store.

Yes. I work for the cartographer that does the recreation maps that sell at REI. We have no way of knowing who buys them of course. Someone can also get the maps online, directly through our company - and of course we can track who buys those.

I have not seen or read any news reports which contain statement or interview with anyone who was camping at the MCSP at time of shooting.
Wouldn't some media want to interview or take statement from person at campground at that time - not necessarily for useful information, but just prurient human interest hype effect.
My point here -
i would assume that one aspect of the investigation is to compile an inventory of all persons staying at campground on night of shooting, because this population may contain the perpetrator.
This population would range between 60 campsites X 2 campers=120
to 60 campsites X 8 campers=480.
Investigators would pull the reservation log and attempt to make contact with each reservation holder to get I.D. info for campers at their site, also inquiring about any extra campers not included in the original reservation info.
They also ask what they remembered about number of people and description of those at campsite on either side of theirs.
Then use that info focus in on anyone misrepresenting. under reporting number of campers at their site.
Also, for profiling possible perpetrators from camper population - exclude those under age 14, over age 60, and females. Leaves very finite population of likely perp from camper population.
Is it possible authorities have requested campers not contact, not respond to request for interview from press?
Still fair possibility remaining that perp was hothead from camper population.

I have not seen or read any news reports which contain statement or interview with anyone who was camping at the MCSP at time of shooting.

Wouldn't some media want to interview or take statement from person at campground at that time - not necessarily for useful information, but just prurient human interest hype effect.

I thought that was odd too - the media was out there that morning and you'd think they'd have asked other campers if they'd seen or heard anything. Totally normal in those situations.

Does anyone know if LE cleared out the campground immediately? If the campground was almost full on that night, that's a lot of people and a lot of stuff to be packed up. There is video from the park that morning, so we know media was there fairly quickly.

The Local Malibu on Twitter

"HEADS UP: @LASDHQ Homicide is coordinating handing out information flyers on the Malibu Creek State Park 187 case to the public Thursday July 19th asking for their help targeting vehicles traveling on Las Virgenes near Mulholland, and Piuma & some local neighborhoods. #malibu"

Well, that only took about a month.

Why wasn't this out sooner? A lot of people and all sorts of vehicle types including RVs and horse trailers use that road as a cut-through or main commute.

Also, for profiling possible perpetrators from camper population - exclude those under age 14, over age 60, and females
I don't necessarily think females would have to be excluded; I know many women who shoot, and many who don't care much for people. It is most likely to be a man, but doesn't have to be. MOO

Well, that only took about a month.

Why wasn't this out sooner? A lot of people and all sorts of vehicle types including RVs and horse trailers use that road as a cut-through or main commute.
Yes! This! Are they finally admitting they have no idea? Maybe others have an idea re: why they would wait? And how waiting could be related to not telling the public...anything. Thank you!

Yes! This! Are they finally admitting they have no idea?

Yes. I think that's why the LASD kicked in $15K to the reward fund. Because they haven't got a clue.

It seems that until someone got killed, the shootings weren't taken seriously. Dismissed as individual incidents or disregarded as a serial problem. Or maybe not talked about between CSP and LASD.

Malibu and LA city councils have indicated that this is a real problem and now LASD is on the back foot and has to step up.

I don't necessarily think females would have to be excluded; I know many women who shoot, and many who don't care much for people. It is most likely to be a man, but doesn't have to be. MOO

True. But I've never heard of a female serial shooter. It typically has to do with feelings of impotence, emasculization and the desire for vengeance.

Woman can be vengeful but feelings of powerlessness and impotence seem to be a big motivation of violent males as opposed to females.

I think any profile would clock this person as male.

But you never know.

I find difficult to accept any assertions that this investigation may be slowed down by under staffing in the Sheriff Dept. or lack of coordination among relevant law enforcement agencies.
I would not doubt the possibility that L.A. County Sheriff was caught flat-footed initially, maybe as long as the initial 72 - 96 hours.
However, my gut feeling is that, because of the circumstances and victims of this shooting, LASD has placed their best people in charge on this one. They are being provided whatever resources are needed, without regard to budgets or departmental shortages.
And they same can be said for any other local, state or federal agencies whose assistance has been enlisted in the investigative effort.

True. But I've never heard of a female serial shooter. It typically has to do with feelings of impotence, emasculization and the desire for vengeance.

Woman can be vengeful but feelings of powerlessness and impotence seem to be a big motivation of violent males as opposed to females.

I think any profile would clock this person as male.

But you never know.
I'm expecting it to be a male too, but the more I see and hear that women are capable of doing to their own families, the less I'm inclined to just give them a free pass. I know you also don't hear much (if anything) about women using firearms to kill someone unless it's in the heat of anger or self-defense; they don't seem to be the weapon of choice for most females. MOO

-I still have a hard time believing 1hat someone hit him in the head without *trying* to hit him in the head.

If you're shooting randomly, and randomly hit a person, I guess you're as randomly likely to hit a head as a foot or a shoulder or a butt.

Not that I think that's what happened.

Randomness.

A SIGHT IN CAMP IN THE DAYBREAK GRAY AND
DIM.

A SIGHT in camp in the daybreak gray and dim,
As from my tent I emerge so early sleepless,
As slow I walk in the cool fresh air the path near by the hospital
tent,
Three forms I see on stretchers lying, brought out there untended
lying,
Over each the blanket spread, ample brownish woolen blanket,
Gray and heavy blanket, folding, covering all.

Curious I halt and silent stand,
Then with light fingers I from the face of the nearest the first just
lift the blanket;
Who are you elderly man so gaunt and grim, with well-gray'd
hair, and flesh all sunken about the eyes?
Who are you my dear comrade?

Then to the second I step—and who are you my child and
darling?
Who are you sweet boy with cheeks yet blooming?

Then to the third—a face nor child nor old, very calm, as of
beautiful yellow-white ivory;
Young man I think I know you—I think this face is the face
of the Christ himself,
Dead and divine and brother of all, and here again he lies.

Randomness.

A SIGHT IN CAMP IN THE DAYBREAK GRAY AND
DIM.

A SIGHT in camp in the daybreak gray and dim,
As from my tent I emerge so early sleepless,
As slow I walk in the cool fresh air the path near by the hospital
tent,
Three forms I see on stretchers lying, brought out there untended
lying,
Over each the blanket spread, ample brownish woolen blanket,
Gray and heavy blanket, folding, covering all.

Curious I halt and silent stand,
Then with light fingers I from the face of the nearest the first just
lift the blanket;
Who are you elderly man so gaunt and grim, with well-gray'd
hair, and flesh all sunken about the eyes?
Who are you my dear comrade?

Then to the second I step—and who are you my child and
darling?
Who are you sweet boy with cheeks yet blooming?

Then to the third—a face nor child nor old, very calm, as of
beautiful yellow-white ivory;
Young man I think I know you—I think this face is the face
of the Christ himself,
Dead and divine and brother of all, and here again he lies.
Walt Whitman.
A SIGHT IN CAMP IN THE DAYBREAK GRAY AND DIM. ( Leaves of Grass (1891-92)) - The Walt Whitman Archive

Here we go...

... a camper speaks:

Murder of Young Father Next to His Daughters at Campground 'Sounded like Four Shots': Camper (People)

Her peaceful slumber was shattered hours later, around 4 a.m. on June 22, when she woke abruptly to the sound of gunfire.

“It sounded like four shots, one after another,” McClelland recalls, noting that perhaps what she heard included reverberations from the canyon walls. “I am not sure if it was actually four gunshots, but it sounded like four clear gunshots.”

Multiple gunshots...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member