GUILTY TX - Fern Thedford, 6 mos, dies in hot car, Melissa, 21 June 2016

IMO it sounds like he lied to 911 and paramedics about the circumstances (baby died in car, not in bassinet in house) and put the baby in the fridge to try to fool them - isn't that some sort of crime?

Valerie Wigglesworth‏Verified account @vlwigg
In criminal trial for Michael Thedford: Expert witness David Diamond is referencing this data from http://KidsAndCars.org that shows as number of child deaths from vehicle air bags declines (white area), the number of hot-car deaths among children has gone up. #thedfordtrial

DietBxkVsAA7GHN.jpg

Valerie Wigglesworth‏Verified account @vlwigg 20m20 minutes ago
Dr. David Diamond testifies that he now rejects calling this forgotten baby syndrome, saying there is nothing medical about this. "This is part of how the brain functions," he said to jurors in Michael Thedford hot-car death case. "This happens to normal people." #thedfordtrial

Valerie Wigglesworth‏Verified account @vlwigg 5m5 minutes ago
Dr. David Diamond tells jurors in Michael Thedford case in Collin County that people of all walks of life have forgotten their children in a car - it's not dependent on education or economic status. "This can happen to anyone," he said. "It's part of being human." #thedfordtrial

If I remember right Dr Diamond was going to testify in the Ross Harris trial about Cooper. Then something happened that caused him to not be able to testify. I can't remember what it was. Is anyone here from that trial? I will try to look it up.

I looked it up and Dr Diamond was supposed to testify in Ross Harris trail and for some reason his lawyers didn't call him. Here in the beginning of this thread is where it is speculated as to why he wasn't called.

Trial - Ross Harris #9

I swear to GOD! It is 2018 and people are STILL leaving babies in cars and claiming it’s an accident?

This is some loophole in the justice system where people can kill them their innocent children. Genuine accident or not— that baby died a horrific and slow death. He needs to be charged and let him be an example to all other dumb af parents out there that don’t give a crap about their helpless babies.

Sorry but this is such a pet peeve of mine. Every year it never fails— people leave babies in cars. We never learn. It truly makes me rage.

I'm not a parent so not familiar with the details of child car seats. But it seems like someone could create a connection between the car keys and the child seat -- like, if the latches on the car seat are closed (indicating the seat is occupied), a fob on the key chain beeps if the keys get more than 20 feet from the car seat. Or beeps when it senses temperatures greater than 80*F. Or something along those lines. Heck it could even be a physical string connecting the car seat and the keys.

You would think the car seat manufacturers would do this -- even though everyone thinks it won't happen to them, and also no one is going to report their close calls to be used as marketing fodder, but still, it's the right thing to do and given the available tech it seems like it wouldn't be that difficult in a world where your refrigerator knows what kind of music you like and your phone knows when you're out of milk and eggs...

1. Valerie Wigglesworth‏Verified account @vlwigg 6m6 minutes ago
    Defense attorney Joey Mangaras told jurors: "This was a tragic accident, not a crime." He cited testimony from several people who described Michael Thedford as a loving and caring parent -- he simply lost awareness of his baby daughter in the back of the minivan. #thedfordtrial
  2. Valerie Wigglesworth‏Verified account @vlwigg 14m14 minutes ago
    Prosecutor Luke Calhoun reminded jurors that Michael Thedford told at least 16 lies as he talked with 911 and medics to try to cover up what he did, he put baby in fridge to try to "sell his lies" and he took medication knowing it "knocks him out for hours." #thedfordtrial
  3. Valerie Wigglesworth‏Verified account @vlwigg 26m26 minutes ago
    Prosecutor Luke Calhoun boiled down the testimony of defense expert David Diamond into "people forget" and said his testimony meant "to try to scare you into thinking you could do it too." But he said: "A father has a duty to remember his child." #thedfordtrial

Just looking at the historical graph of child deaths in hot cars (almost like the graph above, but without airbag stats added) and I've got to say, I'm thinking that sure, SOME deaths might occur as a terrible, terrible mistake. But why have the numbers consistently gone up and up and up (OK some dips in certain years but generally, higher numbers than the 4 or 5 in the early 90s)? I don't think that parents have necessarily become more crap at remembering their offspring. Surely there are copycat crimes in there where people have decided to use it as a way to murder a child and possibly get away with it? Cynical - but those early days of 4 or 5 deaths a year seem more likely. More publicity about this happening should have the result of people being more careful, not less. https://www.kidsandcars.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/HEATSTROKE-CALENDAR-2017-English.pdf

North Texas Father Found Guilty Of Criminally Negligent Homicide In Hot Car Death (with clip)

July 20, 2018

"McKINNEY, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) – After a little more than four hours of deliberations, a Collin County jury found Michael Thedford guilty of criminally negligent homicide and abandoning or endangering a child in the death of his 6-month-old baby.

Jurors then sentenced him to five years probation. His attorney said they will appeal...."

North Texas Father Found Guilty Of Criminally Negligent Homicide In Hot Car Death
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back