PA PA - Cpl. Robert Corriveau, 20, Downington, 18 Nov 1968

Reading about this again, three things struck me:

1. He didn't have any money.

2. He didn't have any ID.

3. His body was not hidden.

That's correct, he carried nothing with him and he was found in a half seated position with the navy pea coat covering his head and upper body. It had been foggy and misting that morning but his body was dry when found at 10:50a.m.

I'm thinking robbery, but it doesn't make too much sense for the body to be moved.
We have not been able to connect with any service members that knew him in 1968.

There might be military records of who was in Coatsville and in whatever units he was assigned to. I would look at the company or battalion level. There will a record of where he was assigned in Corp. Also, there should be a list of hospitalizations.

Do you know if the body was found on the east bound or west bound side.

I'm thinking robbery, but it doesn't make too much sense for the body to be moved.

There might be military records of who was in Coatsville and in whatever units he was assigned to. I would look at the company or battalion level. There will a record of where he was assigned in Corp. Also, there should be a list of

There might be military records of who was in Coatsville and in whatever units he was assigned to. I would look at the company or battalion level. There will a record of where he was assigned in Corp. Also, there should be a list of hospitalizations.

It has been said the crime scene was elsewhere. If it were robbery, he wouldn't have had much. He was at Philadelphia Naval Hospital SU#1 for one month. He had a pass the weekend of 11/4 - 11/7, it is unknown where he actually went that wknd, but I wonder if he were headed to the same place the wknd of 11/15 - 11/18.

If the body was on the westbound side, that would indicate someone driving from the Philadelphia area put the body there.

Now why, after killing Corriveau, would a murderer move the body and leave it where it would be highly visible along a well traveled highway.

1. He didn't have a wallet, but he had fingerprints. Even in 1968, fingerprint evidence was well known.

2. The area around the Downingtown exit was either farmland or wooded in 1968; some of it still is. If someone wanted to dump a body, those areas are far better and they are within three miles.

Corriveau's face was covered with a pea coat. It is customary to cover the face of a dead person as a mark of respect. Further, the body was placed in a partial sitting position and, it is unlikely that this was a random position.

Conclusion: The person who placed the body there, wanted it to be found and was not concerned if the body would be identified. That Corriveau wasn't identified for decades was not part of the killer's plan.

If the body was on the westbound side, that would indicate someone driving from the Philadelphia area put the body there.

Now why, after killing Corriveau, would a murderer move the body and leave it where it would be highly visible along a well traveled highway.

1. He didn't have a wallet, but he had fingerprints. Even in 1968, fingerprint evidence was well known.

2. The area around the Downingtown exit was either farmland or wooded in 1968; some of it still is. If someone wanted to dump a body, those areas are far better and they are within three miles.

Corriveau's face was covered with a pea coat. It is customary to cover the face of a dead person as a mark of respect. Further, the body was placed in a partial sitting position and, it is unlikely that this was a random position.

Conclusion: The person who placed the body there, wanted it to be found and was not concerned if the body would be identified. That Corriveau wasn't identified for decades was not part of the killer's plan.

I agree, whoever did it wanted him to be found. That was my thought, sad, but yes as an act of respect with location and position. I traveled to the area to see where his body had been found and saw firsthand all the farmland and other areas he could have been left and potentially not found.

As for the fingerprints the medical examiner did take a set along with dental impressions. Unfortunately his prints were not on file with the Corp. The PASP ran his prints and nothing was found. He was not officially reported missing until October 2011 when I was contacted by the Corp and asked to identify any scars, tattoos and healed bullet wounds. I faxed his photos to the Corp that fateful day and waited....

I received a call from NCIS, based on the information I provided there was little doubt of who he was. They informed me of the details and asked me to contact the PASP. I found all the news articles online and found the post-mortem photos prior to contacting the PASP. As a formality they traveled to both interview and obtain bucal swabs for a dna match. They also officially entered his name with NAMUS. This also led to me finding this website.

When a loved one goes missing it is always with you. All the holidays, birthdays, marriages, births, deaths, you think of them and wonder what happened. Fortunately he was identified and brought home to his family who waited 43 years. As for finding the person (s) who murdered a 20 year old kid who proudly served his country earning three purple hearts in a war that made no sense, after all these years I could only hope that justice will prevail...

Last edited:
Two questions, which may not be answerable.

1. Other than the stab wounds, and the previous wounds from combat, was there any evidence of recent violence, e.g. bruising?

2. Was there any record of visitors?

The only thing I can do is ask questions. I hope I'm asking the right ones.

Another question. What Corporal Corriveau wearing the same set of clothes that he was wearing when stabbed? For example, was there a hole in his shirt from the stabbing? Were his clothes covered with blood?

1. Other than the stab wounds, and the previous wounds from combat, was there any evidence of recent violence, e.g. bruising?

I saw the actual autopsy photos, he had no additional bruising. He was stabbed once through the heart, with minimal blood. The PASP initially thought he had been shot. The sweater had a rounded puncture hole in the same location as the wound. The weapon was a rounded object. The clothing he was wearing were not available for dna testing. I did ask if there were labels in the clothing, it was unknown, those could have lead to an ID. His clothes were bought at a speciality store in our area. It was not a chain store.

Last edited:

/QUOTE]

Last edited:

The PASP did go to the Naval Hospital. Unfortunately they didn't make it past the front desk. No one could ID him from the photos. However the next day the 'guy in charge' issued an order, he wanted to know immediately of any marine not returning to the base. I thought that a curious order. At the time I was told there were over 2 thousand personel at the hospital.

I saw the actual autopsy photos, he had no additional bruising. He was stabbed once through the heart, with minimal blood. The PASP initially thought he had been shot. The sweater had a rounded puncture hole in the same location as the wound. The weapon was a rounded object. The clothing he was wearing were not available for dna testing. I did ask if there were labels in the clothing, it was unknown, those could have lead to an ID. His clothes were bought at a speciality store in our area. It was not a chain store.

Thanks. You anticipated my next question.

It is possible that a would like that may not bleed too much.

We can rule out a few things, or at least say that they were unlikely:

1. Street crime/mugging. The body may have been dumped, but not moved to outside Downingtown and treated somewhat respectively. No other sign of violence.

2. Drug deal gone bad? Same problem. The body would have dumped. There would have been other signs of violence.

3. Dispute with a prostitute? It could explain the wallet, and the no other signs of violence, but it would be unlikely, at least, that his remains would be moved.

Corriveau was a Marine and a combat veteran. He was trained in hand to hand combat, yet there was no evidence that he tried to block the attack.

Could the PSP determine if the attack was from the front or from behind, from the angle of the wound?

Thanks. You anticipated my next question.

It is possible that a would like that may not bleed too much.

We can rule out a few things, or at least say that they were unlikely:

1. Street crime/mugging. The body may have been dumped, but not moved to outside Downingtown and treated somewhat respectively. No other sign of violence.

2. Drug deal gone bad? Same problem. The body would have dumped. There would have been other signs of violence.

3. Dispute with a prostitute? It could explain the wallet, and the no other signs of violence, but it would be unlikely, at least, that his remains would be moved.

Corriveau was a Marine and a combat veteran. He was trained in hand to hand combat, yet there was no evidence that he tried to block the attack.

Could the PSP determine if the attack was from the front or from behind, from the angle of the wound?
He was stabbed from the front. He definitely would have defended himself had he seen it coming? It had to been a complete surprise. Did he know his attacker? This has been a question that has continued to haunt me.

After I received his completed military records from the corp, a medical evaluation performed by his doctor stated he had taken a liberty the prior wknd (11/4 - 11/7) and gone 'home'. I can attest he did not come home. Unfortunately we have no idea where he could have gone. He did not have his own transportation and back in 1968 he would have hitched a ride if he didn't already have one.

His photo also appeared in the newspapers after his murder, the Lancaster and the Philadelphia news. I find it unusual that someone at the hospital who may have seen the article did not check it out.

Based on the order issued I can't help but think someone knew something and failed to act. Did something happen at the hospital?? Was there a 'brother' within that made a mistake and respectfully placed the body in an obvious location where he would be found? A marine would never wear a navy pea coat.... As for his personal possessions the only item found was his shaving kit at the hospital.

He was stabbed from the front. He definitely would have defended himself had he seen it coming? It had to been a complete surprise. Did he know his attacker? This has been a question that has continued to haunt me.

After I received his completed military records from the corp, a medical evaluation performed by his doctor stated he had taken a liberty the prior wknd (11/4 - 11/7) and gone 'home'. I can attest he did not come home. Unfortunately we have no idea where he could have gone. He did not have his own transportation and back in 1968 he would have hitched a ride if he didn't already have one.

His photo also appeared in the newspapers after his murder, the Lancaster and the Philadelphia news. I find it unusual that someone at the hospital who may have seen the article did not check it out.

Based on the order issued I can't help but think someone knew something and failed to act. Did something happen at the hospital?? Was there a 'brother' within that made a mistake and respectfully placed the body in an obvious location where he would be found? A marine would never wear a navy pea coat.... As for his personal possessions the only item found was his shaving kit at the hospital.

I checked as best I could for the mass transit routes in 1968, they went as far as Paoli, which would be a 10 to 15 mile drive from where the body was placed. There were, in 1968, a lot of spots between Paoli to easily dump a body.

In November 0f 1968, I was 5 years old, so I am no expert in what South Philadelphia was like then. However, there are two large rivers within two miles, a fairly large swamp within five, and several large parks. I could not find a reason why a killer would have killed Corporal Corriveau in South Philadelphia and move the to the Turnpike near Downingtown, except to hide the body. This was obviously not an attempt to hide the body.

On 11/17, there was a Jefferson Airplane performance in Philadelphia. Is that something he might have attended or wanted to attend?

I'm thinking about possibly a girlfriend. Corporal Corriveau possibly was with the woman for a weekend, there was a heated argument, she grabbed a rounded object and stabbed him, in a moment of anger.

The pea coat could have belonged to the killer or an accomplice.

Has this case been covered by any of the podcasts? I listen to quite a few but haven't heard this one covered. If it hasn't been maybe one should take it up.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back