My grandfather’s best friend was murdered in 1951

True North

Reaction score
My grandfather’s best friend, John Graham, was found shot in the head in a car in Detroit in 1951. He was only 21. He was from Ontario. The case was never solved.

My grandfather is 88 and still upset he never found out what happened to his friend. In all likeky hood, the murder is dead. But it’d sure be nice if he could have any closure.

Any way to look into really old cases like that? Who knows if there was even anything back then that could help them solve it today. I’m sure the Detroit police department has more pressing cases anyway. It just crossed my mind as he still talks of him often.

Have you looked on-line for a newspaper archive for Michigan?

Try for articles here:

Library of Michigan - Newspapers

and here:

Digital Michigan Newspaper Portal | Central Michigan University

there are probably others as well.

Read all the articles you can find. Take notes, make charts with any officer's names, map the location and the address where Mr. Graham lived & worked, and where your Granfdather lived & worked. Find at least one obituary.

There is probably a family member who remembers something!

The police department that covered Mr. Graham's case may have some information for you.

Good luck in your search!

Tell us more about the friend. Where did he work, did he steal someone’s gal, was his father involved in illegal dealings, did the friend owe anyone money etc.
What were the rumors?
You actually have a shot at solving this as someone may want to clear their conscience with mortality in mind.

Thank you everyone.

They actually have an interesting story.

My grandfather dropped out of school at 12. He felt like a burden on his large family back in those days, as one of the oldest brothers. He began working as a bell hop for his aunt and uncle who ran a hotel down town. Time went on a few years. The war came. The hotel was across from the train station, not far from an army barric. There were always soldiers and lots of people coming in. Him and John hustled a little. They’d look like some young kids playing around. They’d play cards, pool, dice, etc. But they were really good. Once someone bet them, they usually won. I guess you could only buy beer at the hotel. He knew the boot legger. So he’d sell drinks. They’d buy things and mark up the price a bit and resell. He says they were always gentlemen though. They’d meet a young lady, take her out for dinner, dancing, show her a good time. Help out people who needed it. I’m always fascinated when he tells me stories. He’s been writing them down too.

They’re from about 1.5-2 hours from Detroit, in ON. He thinks John must have got playing cards or something with the wrong type of people. Got in over his head maybe.

My grandpa married in 1951. He feels like if he hasn’t have met my nana, he would have likely been with John and met the same fate.

I’ll talk to him again soon, see if he can give me any more information.

Last edited:
I completely understand his need for "closure" on this. My friend was murdered when we were kids (1980) and I just found out last night who murdered her. I thought knowing would help me kind of close out the wondering and I'd be done. But it affected me in a strange way. Putting a name and face to the rapist/murderer was like being hit in the stomach and I don't know why. I hope your grandpa gets his answers and it heals the feelings. It is so hard not knowing who or why. I am glad he is writing stuff down! That is priceless and maybe someday we will all get to read his story!

I completely understand his need for "closure" on this. My friend was murdered when we were kids (1980) and I just found out last night who murdered her. I thought knowing would help me kind of close out the wondering and I'd be done. But it affected me in a strange way. Putting a name and face to the rapist/murderer was like being hit in the stomach and I don't know why. I hope your grandpa gets his answers and it heals the feelings. It is so hard not knowing who or why. I am glad he is writing stuff down! That is priceless and maybe someday we will all get to read his story!

Hugs to you. You are most likely grieving all over again.

My grandfather’s best friend, John Graham, was found shot in the head in a car in Detroit in 1951. He was only 21. He was from Ontario. The case was never solved.

My grandfather is 88 and still upset he never found out what happened to his friend. In all likeky hood, the murder is dead. But it’d sure be nice if he could have any closure.

Any way to look into really old cases like that? Who knows if there was even anything back then that could help them solve it today. I’m sure the Detroit police department has more pressing cases anyway. It just crossed my mind as he still talks of him often.

I've been checking the Detroit Free Press during 1951 and I'm not finding anything under that name, or any search about a man murdered from Ontario. Is the name, spelling and year accurate? Does he recall in what month the shooting took place? Was he from Windsor, Ontario or another city? I'll keep checking.

They’re from London. He told me his name was John Graham born May 18, 1930. I’ll ask him for more info on his death.

BBM

Do you mean London, Ontario? Might help readers to clarify.

Also, when you have a chance, ask your Grandpa questions at different times & in different ways, when he is in different moods. You may hear additional information.

Did your grandpa's friend Mr. Graham (or his family) attend a church? Might find an obituary & some more information there.

Have you located a death certificate?

Keep going!

True North, I tried FamilySearch for Mr. Graham, and there are plenty of candidates. There are immigration lists, and lists of sailors entering Michigan ports.

I didn't see an match for the birth & death dates provided -- doesn't mean your John Graham isn't there, just that I didn't find him this morning.

Just with my grandpa now. He says it’s possible it was 1950 as well. He heard from friends one day when he inquired about John. He married in Aug 1951. He last saw him around Christmas 1950, when they were selling trees. He knows nothing else.

BBM

Do you mean London, Ontario? Might help readers to clarify.

Also, when you have a chance, ask your Grandpa questions at different times & in different ways, when he is in different moods. You may hear additional information.

Did your grandpa's friend Mr. Graham (or his family) attend a church? Might find an obituary & some more information there.

Have you located a death certificate?

Keep going!

Yes, sorry, London Ontario. That may not have been clear for those not familiar with Ontario. My grandpa says John also has ties to Lucknow and Brantford. Both in Ontario.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galesr
Back