MO - Duck boat carrying 31 tourists capsizes, killing 17, near Branson, July 2018

gregjrichards

Reaction score
An amphibious vehicle capsized on a lake in Missouri on Thursday, killing eight of its 31 passengers and crew.

The Southern Stone County Fire Protection District has labelled the tragedy, which took place on a Ride The Ducks boat, a 'mass casualty'.

Emergency Services were called to the scene about 7pm after severe thunderstorms quickly rolled through the area, KY3 reported.

Several more people were taken to hospital following the incident on the 'Ride the Ducks' amphibious vehicle on Table Rock Lake, Stone County, near Branson, Missouri.

Seven patients [are in] the hospital and we do have some people still missing. So this is going to be an all night, into tomorrow [search],' Stone County Sheriff Doug Rader told reporters about 9.30pm.

Eight dead and more missing in mass casualty after duck boat capsizes on Missouri river | Daily Mail Online

Terrible tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are with those who have died, those missing and those injured.

This is horrible. Ive been to this lake hundreds of times and even been on the Ride The Ducks tour a few times. This is a tour you take your kids on so I can imagine most of these are kids. My heart breaks for these people. Being in Branson and it being summer id imagine a lot are probably here for vacation too. So sad.

We used to spend summers in branson including Table rock Lake and Silver Dollar City throughout my childhood. I still remember some of the Branson Boys' best hits. I'm so incredibly sad for the families who were involved in this tragedy.

A Sheriffs deputy was on board as Security when the boat capsized. He helped rescue some people before first responders got there. That was a lucky break for sure. I have family that live and work down there.

A Sheriffs deputy was on board as Security when the boat capsized. He helped rescue some people before first responders got there. That was a lucky break for sure. I have family that live and work down there.
Oh wow thats interesting. Ive never been on when there was security. It was always just one driver and all the guests. I wonder why they have security on there now?

*I dont think its of any importance to the accident as I believe thats exactly what this was. Im just wondering why.

Good thing he was there cause I guess it could have been worse. Its kind of a surprise when you go in the water. One minute youre just driving down the road and next thing you know they hit the boat ramp and you just splash into the water. You only stay on the water for a few minutes so apparently the storm hit really quick.

warning rough to watch

kinda angry obviously boat this was shot from was much bigger it could have gotten in front of the little one resulting in much calmer water for the little one just sailing along like that

this is triggering bad stuff

years and years ago we were on a private deal down the intercoastal for my uncles birthday

my little sister and i were chatting (both of us were flirty and when out would try to guess if a cute guy was gay or hetero and would flirt!) there was a cute guy on a ski jet right next to us

he was cute!!!!!

then he sped off and slammed into a boey

we ran all over trying to find the bridge on the thing finally did and hysterically told the captain what had happened and were screaming at him to turn around and he could care less doing all this we are too big to turn around at the location we were at he could care less

OR for my sister and I it was to the captain he is right back there ( we certainly were not on a speedboat -- we were slow moving) just put her in reverse slowly we can all go on the back and make sure we don't hit him ( it was nighttime - it was big cruiser for private parties i am sure they had plenty of lights and all the lights on ours could have been turned up )

jet ski was going fast at impact it was horrid to do this day have no idea what happened this was way before internet

it was a very very upsetting for my sister and I and after we left the bridge it was like no one in our family cared either it was messed up god forbid miss the lobster

it was all this crap We are sure the coast guard is on its way

it was not like the rest of the people celebrating his birthday did not believe us it was like it will be taken care we are continuing with the birthday celebration

was so pissed at each and every one of them

screw the lobster and all the other la de da stuff ugh

Last edited:
I live in Springfield and the storm approached FAST. The owner of the Ripleys Believe it or Not has been qouted as saying the boats should not have been on the water. His company owns the Ride the Ducks company. I know all of the news channels are showing these videos in the area and the video is shocking,but that storm came quick. I was out in a pick up truck on I 44 and the clouds just went black and wind picked up. Semis were pulling over. We pulled over and took shelter at a truck stop Bois D'Arc area. Springfield had electricity out and one person reported that winds were 70mph.

Cariis, the smartphone video was taken by a diner in a lakeside restaurant, but I feel your pain about witnessing something so horrible and being ignored. :(
I believe that video was taken inside the Branson Belle it is a cruise boat that serves meals and entertainment as you cruise the lake. It is docked in the same area as where The Ducks come and go from the Land to Water.

I have never wanted to Ride the Ducks never seemed very safe to me. I grew up in Springfield and have been to Branson more than I can count. I heard there were T-Storm warnings out in the area yesterday. I think that will play a big part in this tragedy.

Rest in Heaven to all who lost their life's.

An amphibious vehicle capsized on a lake in Missouri on Thursday, killing eight of its 31 passengers and crew.

This is awful, and it is not the first large scale tragedy involving "Ducks". I believe there was another recent accident in Arkansas. I think there some important points to remember about manmade "Ducks"....

- They were designed and built during WWII. In a global war, nations apply very harsh mathematics regarding safety in an effort to save more lives later on.

- Ducks are mechanically reliable, fast moving, large (can transport 20 or more fully equipped soldiers) and are also amphibious. Thus, they had strong military advantages. But, Ducks also have little reserve buoyancy, do not handle well on the water, and have a non boat like center of gravity.

- Ducks had an acceptable / "acceptable" accident rate in WWII with the avoidable drownings of a certain number of soldiers. But, the Duck's strengths were thought to be saving the lives of far more soldiers in the long run (harsh mathematics). An acceptable accident rate with soldiers in a global war is not an acceptable accident rate in peacetime with civilians- especially children.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back