Identified! NV - Washoe Co., WhtFem 156UFNV, 25-35, Sheep's Flat Trail, Jul'82 - Mary Edith Silvani

They might not release it if there's an ongoing criminal investigation.

Right, they MIGHT not release it right away. LE has said in the past that if they could know her identity, they would know who killed her. So an arrest could come pretty quickly. Who knows how this will proceed exactly but I would have to imagine we will know her name within the next few months at the very latest.

Buckskin Girl aka Marcia's homicide investigation is ongoing and we knew her name right away.

Last edited:
Very interesting info about Jane Doe from Margaret at DDP!:

Someone asks if Jane Doe was in NAMUS:

"not that we're aware of. Remember there were no online national missing person databases in 1982."

"all you dedicated folks who spend time trying to match on NamUs are incredible. Our hats off to you. Sadly in this case there were no parents left to report her missing. And she was an adult out on her own."

Last edited:

"not that we're aware of. Remember there were no online national missing person databases in 1982."

"all you dedicated folks who spend time trying to match on NamUs are incredible. Our hats off to you. Sadly in this case there were no parents left to report her missing. And she was an adult out on her own."
Hopefully they release more information on the case itself. The case isn't that well documented.

There was no one left to report her ..... that actually brought tears to my eyes. very sad :(

In response to a question about roughly when we can expect a confirmation Margaret said: "we're all waiting for an Ancestry kit to process. Hopefully that's all LE will need."

So it looks like they were able to track down at least one family member of Jane Doe!​

Last edited:
Does anyone know how long an Ancestry kit typically takes to process? That’s assuming they’re using the standard kit available to the public...

Does anyone know how long an Ancestry kit typically takes to process? That’s assuming they’re using the standard kit available to the public...

I was just looking that up... seems like it could be something like 5 days or potentially weeks if something goes wrong and they have to do it again (doesn't seem uncommon unfortunately). With Amazon Prime Day being so recent there could be a big backlog idk. Time of year seems to matter a lot. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Mine took 14 weeks via Ancestry there was a backlog at the time general turn around time is 810 weeks I'AM wondering if they meant kit processing as in Gedmatch kit processing that takes 24 to 48 hours

Whom knows DDp may have a fast track express lane....

Thanks all! Sounds like they’re already part way through whatever wait period there is. Hopefully SFJD got in line before the Prime Day people - good point on that!

I’d imagine DDP and LE have an express lane. Although maybe not, since Ancestry seems to shun that kind of activity.

It strikes me as odd actually that that’s what they’re waiting for. DDP said their portion was done, so it must be LE doing this? Why wouldn’t they just take and process the sample themselves? I’m sure there’s a good reason. Maybe they’re trying to complete a tree and Ancestry has the data (and can’t provide it to LE) on the other branches?

Thanks all! Sounds like they’re already part way through whatever wait period there is. Hopefully SFJD got in line before the Prime Day people - good point on that!

I’d imagine DDP and LE have an express lane. Although maybe not, since Ancestry seems to shun that kind of activity.

It strikes me as odd actually that that’s what they’re waiting for. DDP said their portion was done, so it must be LE doing this? Why wouldn’t they just take and process the sample themselves? I’m sure there’s a good reason. Maybe they’re trying to complete a tree and Ancestry has the data (and can’t provide it to LE) on the other branches?

Probably because the wait time for LE's local lab would be higher or something... there is probably some logistical potential complication on LE's end which makes an Ancestry test easier and quicker. They already know who she is so it's not about constructing a family tree. Also I imagine it's much much cheaper to do an Ancestry test than send blood work to a lab to be compared.

And yeah, I would really doubt Ancestry would give LE an express lane because they want nothing to do with LE

There was no one left to report her ..... that actually brought tears to my eyes. very sad :(

If there was no-one left to report her missing that implies there were no siblings, cousins, nephews or nieces who might have been wondering what happened to someone who disappeared. You're right - that is indeed sad, and makes me wonder how many of the other Does are in exactly the same situation.

Sheepflat Jane Doe has been 'tentatively' identified!

DNA Doe Project

"DDP would like to report that Sheep Flat Jane Doe has been tentatively identified, pending final confirmation. Our Jane Doe was born in Michigan and her father was Italian. We should be able to provide more details once confirmed."

Thanks for the update! That is great news!

Do you think there’s going to be an arrest before they release her ID?
Hopefully, but I doubt it. It's pretty hard to find a killer 35 years after the fact. Identifying Marcia King, didn't seem to help solve that case. I expect they are waiting until family has been notified before releasing her identity.

Hopefully, but I doubt it. It's pretty hard to find a killer 35 years after the fact. Identifying Marcia King, didn't seem to help solve that case.

The difference is that there has always been the idea that Marcia was killed by a random person or someone who only knew her very slightly, whereas there has long been a theory that SFJD/WCJD was killed by someone she knew well.

It is my guess that they are using their own secured lab service partners and that is whom I was referring to being an express lane not Ancestry. Believe I miss worded what I was trying to state .... its happens ;)

In the consumer world DNA samples takes 8-10 weeks mine took 14 due to back log I don't believe that DDP went this route.

All thou if they already have a DNA sample and have loaded into GEDMatch the time frame for processing a kit is 24 - 48 hours you will have match results. Other genealogy sites where you can upload your DNA can take up to a week on it took 2 weeks.

Last edited:
All thou if they already have a DNA sample and have loaded into GEDMatch the time frame for processing a kit is 24 - 48 hours you will have match results. Other genealogy sites where you can upload your DNA can take up to a week on it took 2 weeks.

I suppose it's possible that they also tested the DNA and have been building the family tree of the presumed killer at the same time. If so, they might have ID'd him before they did her. Maybe they already know who and where he is and are just waiting to kick his door down.

We can hope.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrnkKrcher
Back