CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Road is pretty sure he heard the shots @ 4:27, according to LCSD bulletin, TB was shot @ 4:44. Is 4:44 when LE got the 911 call or when they arrived at the scene or something else?

According to a 23 June KABC report:

Authorities said they received a call about the shooting around 4:44 a.m. in Malibu Creek State Park.

Then the shooter had at least 17 minutes to disappear, hide, exit...That's a generous amount of time.

I can imagine people were huddling in their tents, like Roadtripper said, afraid there was a mass shooter out there.

But the little girls must've been crying so eventually the brother in law went to the other tent to see what was happening.

Totally horrific. I cant imagine how terrifying that was, to find his brother in law slaughtered and his nieces covered in blood.

For clarification, in the picture is the hole on the left end of the tent where we see one hole. -it looks pretty big to me. Or on the right end of the tent are those multiple holes, which would match up with what Roadtripper heard,
or is it a shadow of a tree branch?

Looking at this picture again, it appears the shooter was lucky to kill someone at this angle, guessing exactly where his head was. My head would have been at the other end.

For clarification, in the picture is the hole on the left end of the tent where we see one hole. -it looks pretty big to me. Or on the right end of the tent are those multiple holes, which would match up with what Roadtripper heard,
or is it a shadow of a tree branch?

Looking at this picture again, it appears the shooter was lucky to kill someone at this angle, guessing exactly where his head was. My head would have been at the other end.

This video shows a close up of the tent at timestamp 0:46

It also shows what looks like a rod sticking out of a hole.
Capture 3.PNG

capture of tent.png

Other members had different perceptions and saw different holes when we discussed it before. It is possible there are holes on the other side of the tent. We have not seen that side in videos.

I think our site was assigned when we got there. We camped for many days in campgrounds from Washington down through California and some were pre-assigned and some were not. I don’t remember for sure how it was at MSP but I think they were assigned when we got there. I don’t have a certain site on my receipt.
My experience is if you reserve ahead of time, you reserve a specific site. I have had that happen for every single campground I've gone to with a reservation (at least 50;I usually go without), except one: Acadia National Park. And I likely could have switched if I wanted to at Acadia.

Since the BIL and the victim had adjacent sites, they almost certainly would have had to reserve, since there were few sites unoccupied and it's a reservable campground.

Both sides of the tent are seen in this KNBC News video - the 'other' side comes up at :04 and the more familiar side with the apparent hole at about :37.

The report talks about the displaced campers and also mentions that they booked the campsites seven months in advance.

I bring this up because if someone was deliberately targeting TB (and based on what we know, we can't rule it out) there would have been ample time for them to know that TB would be there on that date.

Thats what I thought from reading the description on their site. It made it sound like the spots are assigned once the camper gets there which in my opinion makes this look random rather than targeted.
But those are maybe the vacant sites? The ones that haven't been reserved? Drop ins are often assigned camp spots if there are few unreserved sites left. If there are, say, 3 left when you arrive as a drop-in, they might let you choose from those 3, but at a busy campground—or one where they want to minimize traffic on, say, a Friday night, they might not want you scouting out those 3: you'd just pick one, e.g. by proximity to the restroom, outside a loop or inside, near the playground...

And if the shooter was outside the tent, then there would be multiple holes - more than two for sure- on the tent, the holes contained in one concentric area, not all over the place. That may be the case, who knows, we don't have confirmation from LE yet.
I wonder if the shooter fired through an open zipper? The bullet holes may have been exit bullet holes. There could have been bullet holes in the floor that weren't obvious to the BIL (who referred to the two on the roof).

Pareidolia (/pærɪˈdoʊliə/ parr-i-DOH-lee-ə) is a psychological phenomenon in which the mind responds to a stimulus, usually an image or a sound, by perceiving a familiar pattern where none exists.
This was my idea upthread where I proposed that experienced campers might have heard a noise and assumed it was the door of the restroom slamming even if Malibu's restrooms didn't have doors that slam. If you camp a lot and you hear a bang in the night, from adaptation to the sound at other campgrounds, you could quickly assume it's the restroom door slamming.

I'm not sure that's a hole. I'm pretty sure it's a logo. See how otherwise there's no logo? That's an REI tent.

IIRC, I posted another photo upthread where it was clear that the logo had been partially blurred out with Photoshop (or other), thus accounting for the blackish marks.

My head would have been at the other end of the tent, too. However, that tent is large enough so you could sleep across the tent, in effect blocking the door so the kids couldn't get out in the night without waking you up.

Also, any bullet holes might be exit holes and not entry holes.

Both sides of the tent are seen in this KNBC News video - the 'other' side comes up at :04 and the more familiar side with the apparent hole at about :37.

The report talks about the displaced campers and also mentions that they booked the campsites seven months in advance.

I bring this up because if someone was deliberately targeting TB (and based on what we know, we can't rule it out) there would have been ample time for them to know that TB would be there on that date.

The "large hole" to the left of the tent seems to be a "badge" with the tent logo, as opposed to a bullet hole. Check 0.38 into the video. If there is a bullet hole showing, it seems to be immediately left of the center rib and immediately at/above the horizontal tent rib. Having said that, at 0:45 in the video, there seems to be a similar mark in the exact same spot on the other side of the tent. So, I don't think that's a bullet hole either.

If someone could point out where they see these holes, it would help. I'm likely just missing it.

It also shows what looks like a rod sticking out of a hole.

Other members had different perceptions and saw different holes when we discussed it before. It is possible there are holes on the other side of the tent. We have not seen that side in videos.

I'm not convinced about the bullet holes, especially the one at the arrow on the right . The problem is a high quality tent has tie-downs so you can add guys in a big wind. This makes the tent stable. It would be very typical to have a tie down loop on the fly where the pole is.

You can see the tie-downs on the current version: REI Co-op Kingdom 6 Tent | REI Co-op

The victim and the BIL had the previous version of the same tent. There are some obvious differences in the colors and how far down the light-colored panels reach.

The "rod" may be an artifact on the camera lens.

Having said that, at 0:45 in the video, there seems to be a similar mark in the exact same spot on the other side of the tent. So, I don't think that's a bullet hole either.

Yes, these are tie downs so you can attach guys to stabilize the tent in "weather". They are positioned over the ribs (poles) of the tent where they will be effective: the poles can't cave if they're staked out. By the way, this is very useful info if you have a 2-pole tent and are in a big wind: tie it down otherwise you'll end up with a pancaked tent! This helps with a 3+ pole tent, but pancaking is extremely common with a 2-pole tent, especially the kind with clips.

Last edited:
Yes, these are tie downs so you can attach guys to stabilize the tent in "weather". They are positioned over the ribs (poles) of the tent where they will be effective: the poles can't collapse if they're staked out. By the way, this is very useful info if you have a 2-pole tent and are in a big wind: tie it down otherwise you'll end up with a pancaked tent! This helps with a 3+ pole tent, but pancaking is extremely common with a 2-pole tent, especially the kind with clips.

Thanks Rick. this is helpful.

Then the shooter had at least 17 minutes to disappear, hide, exit...That's a generous amount of time.

Harmony has posted Google maps upthread with escape routes that may work as well as this campground map that I am going to repost. TB & BIL’s campsites were situated near the Campfire Center Path. Perhaps this was an exit route?

Attachments

• 68817937-0327-4313-B6F0-050F2ADBDED2.jpeg
    68817937-0327-4313-B6F0-050F2ADBDED2.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics