UNSOLVED Oh - Pike County: 8 People From One Family Dead As Police Hunt For Killer(s) #33

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another interesting tidbit from the 2016 article linked above, revisiting Dr. Cyril Wecht's opinion about the Rhoden murders

Cyril Wecht, a forensic pathologist and lawyer who has served as a consultant on numerous murder cases, agreed.

"This was planned and organized,'' he said, adding that he thinks perhaps someone close to the victims might have supplied information to the killers, either intentionally or unwittingly.

Both Fox and Wecht agreed one person was the prime target. The other victims were "secondary victims" -- either they could identify the killers or knew information that could easily lead police on their trail.

Wecht: "One person got involved in something way over their head and into dangerous games, with the big boys, made threats and then: 'OK, buddy that's it then. I can't run the risk of killing you and leaving your kinfolk alive.'"

He called it personal, but professional.

Dr. Wecht described the murders as "weird as hell". He said it was not quite the "Hatfields & McCoys".

I have a lot of respect for Dr. Wecht, he's one of the top experts in his field.

As for the reason why the killers left the small children alive, I have a new theory about that. I'll post it later.

ETA: I wonder if we could ask Dr. Wecht for his opinion on the other murders that have occurred in the area before and after the Rhoden/Gilley Massacre?

Apologies if I missed something. What did Mittens obtain? The references to Manley's submitting DNA was in a couple different news interviews.

Inside the Rhoden investigation: Scientists work with cops

There's another article from around the time last summer when JM was arrested for taking the GPS tracker off his truck when it was mentioned he had also submitted a DNA sample to LE.

It's probably safe to assume anyone who came into contact with the crime scene was tested, including DS. Just my guess.
I hope we can also assume any locals who have been arrested/convicted of serious crimes have also submitted to DNA testing. OTOH, it's possible some local/regional criminals have not. Does anyone recall if the W's were tested?

I bolded what I was referring to. From your post.:

I also find it very odd that there's been no way to trace ownership of the red truck prior to someone selling it to JM.

Either MisZ or Mittens, IIRC, provided that info. I have it in my files. I may even have a screenshot but I'd have to go pull my backup drive, to check, if it's not on the computer I'm currently using. I don't have time to do that right now though. So, if anyone else can find that info, if in fact I am remembering correctly, before me, that'd be cool.

Yeah, I remember that one comment in particular from NickandNora.

OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #32

I have been searching my notes for this,I can not say where I got it but here is what I have,Pamela Franklin 10-11-15, Josh Brooks of Peebles 2–24–16, April Manley 3–2–17. I also have Manchester but for the life of me I can not recall why.

PF is most interesting,she shot her husband James who is dentist with a hand gun that could also shoot shot gun shells it was called the judge, she also had a 32. She was sentenced to 6 yrs served nearly 4 and was released March of 2016

Pretty amazing that she shot her husband, yet only got 6 yrs, only served 4.

The truck changed hands on 8/28/15, 9/9/15, 10/1/15, there was no change of mileage with the 3 transfers, P F would of been in prison through her ownership, which makes me wonder if the truck was some type of prison IOU.

So the truck was owned by PF, who shot her husband and went to prison.

The red truck changed hands while she was in prison, but there was no change of mileage.

Let's try to do a timeline on the red truck

• 6/4/2012 - Pamela Franklin shoots her husband while sitting in a late model black car outside his Peebles, OH dental practice at 10 pm on a Sunday night. Franklin was apprehended in Peebles, OH - Adams County
Wife 'shoots husband' outside his Ohio dental practice | Daily Mail Online
  • 11/6/2012 - Pamela Franklin takes a plea deal in her husband's shooting; sentenced to 3 yrs in prison, credit for 155 days served - Adams County
  • 9/16/2013 - Title transfer on red truck - mileage reported as 197,682
Is it possible the red truck was in an LE impound lot for this period, possibly taken as evidence?

• 8/28/2015 - unknown title change - mileage reported as 197,682
  • 9/9/2015 - Title change (?) owner - mileage reported as 220,000
  • 10/1/2015 - Pamela Franklin's name appears on the title of the red truck - mileage reported as 220,000
  • 2/24/2016 - JB of Peebles name appears on title - mileage reported as 222,591 - Adams County
  • 4/22/2016 - Rhoden/Gilley families massacred - LE later alleges truck was involved in "a" murder investigation - Pike, Adams, Scioto Counties
  • 3/2/2017 - April Manley's name appears on the title - mileage reported as 227,793 - Pike County
  • 4/22/2017 - PCSO put GPS tracker on the red truck - Pike County
  • 4/28/2017 - LE reports last position of truck was recorded at 11:35 pm
  • 5/16/2017 - James Manley arrested for removing the GPS tracker and smashing it on the ground - Pike County
Any input into how we can find the names of some of the previous owners would be appreciated. TIA!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! Thanks to NickandNora too! I had the names but couldn't dig for a link, at the time.

Do you recall where you got the names? NickandNora just posted the names without attribution. Either that or they're somewhere at that link she posted, but I couldn't find them. You have to pay for reports there. It would also help if we could even find out which counties the various title transfers took place.

One of the keys to unlocking the mystery is in finding out some of the previous owners of the red truck as well as finding out what JB was doing the night of the Rhoden murders. If the red truck was as important as LE claims, they need to be looking very closely at the person who owned it that night and the person who was driving it. SMH.

OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #32

The red truck changed hands while she was in prison, but there was no change of mileage.

• 6/4/2012 - Pamela Franklin shoots her husband while sitting in a late model black car outside his Peebles, OH dental practice at 10 pm on a Sunday night. Franklin was apprehended in Peebles, OH - Adams County
  • 11/6/2012 - Pamela Franklin takes a plea deal in her husband's shooting; sentenced to 3 yrs in prison, credit for 155 days served - Adams County
Is it possible the red truck was in an LE impound lot for this period, possibly taken as evidence?

• 10/1/2015 - Pamela Franklin's name appears on the title of the red truck - mileage reported as 220,000
  • 2/24/2016 - JB of Peebles name appears on title - mileage reported as 222,591 - Adams County
  • 4/22/2016 - Rhoden/Gilley families massacred - LE later alleges truck was involved in "a" murder investigation - Pike, Adams, Scioto Counties
  • 3/2/2017 - April Manley's name appears on the title - mileage reported as 227,793 - Pike County
  • 5/16/2017 - James Manley arrested for removing the GPS tracker and smashing it on the ground - Pike County
Any input into how we can find the names of some of the previous owners would be appreciated. TIA!

Thanks Subie! That's very helpful! I'd like to know if she and the JB dude knew each other, or he just happened to buy the truck from her. He got it almost two months to the day before the murders.

So if the PF lady who shot her husband owned the truck;
, wouldn't that explain it being involved in a murder investigation? Or am I too simple-minded?

Do you recall where you got the names? NickandNora just posted the names without attribution. Either that or they're somewhere at that link she posted, but I couldn't find them. You have to pay for reports there. It would also help if we could even find out which counties the various title transfers took place.

One of the keys to unlocking the mystery is in finding out some of the previous owners of the red truck as well as finding out what Josh Brooks was doing the night of the Rhoden murders. If the red truck was as important as LE claims, they need to be looking very closely at the person who owned it that night and the person who was driving it. SMH.

I do not. I didn't personally find the names. Getting the names of prior owners can be done, but it is usually time consuming. Laws have been changed over the years, and owner's names on titles became federally protected, thanks to stalkers and murderers. I'm not saying Nick shouldn't have shared the info, just that it is difficult to obtain, but it can be obtained if one is determined.

So if the PF lady who shot her husband owned the truck;
, wouldn't that explain it being involved in a murder investigation? Or am I too simple-minded?

No, she didn't own the red truck until after she got out of jail for shooting her husband. The night she shot her husband, they were sitting together in their then-late model black sedan. He survived the shooting. She was arrested and sent to jail. She served about 3 yrs.

Maybe she sold the red truck to JB by putting an ad in Craigslist. It's possible they were strangers, but it seems rather unlikely as both live in Peebles, OH and it's a very small town. It's assumed most people there know each other to some degree.

My theory about James Manley has nearly always been that someone set him up by selling the red truck. If LE knew the red truck was involved somehow with the Rhoden murders, why didn't they put a GPS tracker on it when that suspect still owned it? Why wait until the suspect sold it to JM?

Something is really hinky about the red truck and the murder investigation. One would think LE had tracked it to the driver and/or owner who was spotted at or near the murder scenes that night. Instead, they only track it when it's driven by the person who didn't own it the night of the murders, who already submitted DNA, and cooperated in every other way with the investigation.

Someone was trying to set up JM to take the fall for the murders of his family. Who did that?

ETA: Also wondering why PF shot her husband and why she got a pretty good deal, serving not a lot of time after nearly killing him. Was she a drug user? Who were her friends? Who sold her the red truck after she got out of prison? Peebles is a small town, it's just down the road from the Wagner II farm. Very close to where DR worked, before she was murdered. Close to the nursing home where Bernice Hayslip was living before her daughter moved her out. Bernice was later found dead.

No, she didn't own the red truck until after she got out of jail for shooting her husband. The night she shot her husband, they were sitting together in their then-late model black sedan. He survived the shooting. She was arrested and sent to jail. She served about 3 yrs.

Maybe she sold the red truck to JB by putting an ad in Craigslist. It's possible they were strangers, but it seems rather unlikely as both live in Peebles, OH and it's a very small town. It's assumed most people there know each other to some degree.

My theory about James Manley has nearly always been that someone set him up by selling the red truck. If LE knew the red truck was involved somehow with the Rhoden murders, why didn't they put a GPS tracker on it when that suspect still owned it? Why wait until the suspect sold it to JM?

Something is really hinky about the red truck and the murder investigation. One would think LE had tracked it to the driver and/or owner who was spotted at or near the murder scenes that night. Instead, they only track it when it's driven by the person who didn't own it the night of the murders, who already submitted DNA, and cooperated in every other way with the investigation.

Someone was trying to set up JM to take the fall for the murders of his family. Who did that?

ETA: Also wondering why PF shot her husband and why she got a pretty good deal, serving not a lot of time after nearly killing him. Was she a drug user? Who were her friends? Who sold her the red truck after she got out of prison? Peebles is a small town, it's just down the road from the Wagner II farm. Very close to where DR worked, before she was murdered. Close to the nursing home where Bernice Hayslip was living before her daughter moved her out. Bernice was later found dead.

She might possibly have shot him because she either considered herself to be in danger, she caught him with another female, or they were both trying to kill each other (or any combo of the three). I'd not discount drugs being involved on one or both individuals parts, either. Just my thinking, from browsing the www.

Apologies if I missed something. What did Mittens obtain? The references to Manley's submitting DNA was in a couple different news interviews.

Inside the Rhoden investigation: Scientists work with cops

There's another article from around the time last summer when JM was arrested for taking the GPS tracker off his truck when it was mentioned he had also submitted a DNA sample to LE.

It's probably safe to assume anyone who came into contact with the crime scene was tested, including DS. Just my guess.
I hope we can also assume any locals who have been arrested/convicted of serious crimes have also submitted to DNA testing. OTOH, it's possible some local/regional criminals have not. Does anyone recall if the W's were tested?
I don’t know what’s going on with WS but I’ve had no notifications for days, so I assumed there were no new comments in here o_O

I pulled a vehicle history on the red truck and shared it here, I believe in the last thread or the one prior.

The truck has some strange mileage on it, to say the least. It looked like it had one owner for many years when it was purchased new. And then it was sold years later, but then when it was again transferred, it kept getting transferred. It came from NMVTS, a government site which provides vehicle history. Something isn’t right and its most likely a fair assumption that whoever put that vehicle in JM/AM’a possession probably knew that.

I’ll search the threads tomorrow and find my post w/the link and ss. I have it saved as well but It’ll take me a moment to dig and find it.

All JMO

Josh Brooks owning the vehicle is interesting because WG is his cousin...WG who is a cousin of DS.

ETA- disregard almost all of this as y’all have figured it all out and found the posts. I posted before reading everything (long day and it’s late)

Betty-I paid for the NMVTS report. However, it’s next to impossible to get names associated with vehicle ownership. It can be done, but I don’t have the patience to do it. What do you make of that 22,000 mileage increase in less than two weeks between Aug 2015-Sept. 2015? Also, that truck was put in someone’s name almost 2 months to the day prior to the murders on 2/24/16.

Last edited:
I don’t know what’s going on with WS but I’ve had no notifications for days, so I assumed there were no new comments in here o_O

I pulled a vehicle history on the red truck and shared it here, I believe in the last thread or the one prior.

The truck has some strange mileage on it, to say the least. It looked like it had one owner for many years when it was purchased new. And then it was sold years later, but then when it was again transferred, it kept getting transferred. It came from NMVTS, a government site which provides vehicle history. Something isn’t right and its most likely a fair assumption that whoever put that vehicle in JM/AM’a possession probably knew that.

I’ll search the threads tomorrow and find my post w/the link and ss. I have it saved as well but It’ll take me a moment to dig and find it.

All JMO

Josh Brooks owning the vehicle is interesting because WG is his cousin...WG who is a cousin of DS.

ETA- disregard almost all of this as y’all have figured it all out and found the posts. I posted before reading everything (long day and it’s late)

Betty-I paid for the NMVTS report. However, it’s next to impossible to get names associated with vehicle ownership. It can be done, but I don’t have the patience to do it. What do you make of that 22,000 mileage increase in less than two weeks between Aug 2015-Sept. 2015? Also, that truck was put in someone’s name almost 2 months to the day prior to the murders on 2/24/16.
How many miles is it to Alaska?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member