CA - Linda Anne O’Keefe, 11, strangled, Newport Beach, 6 Jul 1973 *ARREST in 2019*

Thankyou for clarifying the picture for me, for some reason it took me a long time to “see” it correctly. I agree usually the intent of taking a child has some sort of sexual component.
Would like to know why they arrested the suspect at the time, witness? Car description?
Earlier article said
  • No DNA matches to other similar crimes (rapes, abductions, etc) that occurred in the area
There a a lot of cold cases of young girls in Nevada 1970s to late 1980, could LE look into those?
NV - NV - Might there have been a serial killer in Las Vegas in the 70s and 80s?

I also noticed they have the original suspects ( birth name)
In Ancestry.

Hope this doesn’t seem like a witch hunt, it would be great if the cold case Detective can release more information.

Some of those look quite similar to Linda's death. I wonder if any DNA evidence was found and is still available for testing? I wonder when he moved to NV?

I, too, want to avoid a witch hunt, but this guy looked very suspect back in the day. The way he's kept such a low profile since then is also somewhat unusual.

If the guy was a suspect, then I would think they would have check his dna.

Yeah, we're just wondering if they have. It appears he doesn't live in CA anymore, hasn't for quite some time.

If not him, it could have been some other killer who was just passing through the area, hence no other hits on his DNA. Another alternative is that the killer continued with his crimes but left his victims in locations where their bodies weren't discovered or, when discovered, didn't have any of the killer's DNA evidence remaining.

DNA collection and testing was not done until the late 70s, early 80s.

No of course not. But many LE departments did collect and store other evidence from a crime scene that can yield DNA now. For example, victim's clothing or other items may contain blood or semen from the killer.

It's assumed that LE retrieved some of this kind of evidence to generate the Parabon sketch of Linda's killer. If the killer is still alive today, his DNA can be matched to their sample.

Newport Beach Police‏Verified account @NewportBeachPD Jul 7
“There will be theories, and a sketch of a ‘person of interest’, but my murder will eventually become a cold case. NBPD detectives still look at my file, interview people who saw me or knew me, follow leads… but the trails lead nowhere.” #LindasStory

DhhK9_IXUAEt0Pz.png

Newport Beach Police‏Verified account @NewportBeachPD Jul 7
“But now, 45 yrs later, I have a voice again. And I have something important to say. There is a new lead in my case: a face. A face that comes from DNA that the killer left behind. It’s technology that didn’t exist back in 1973, but it might change everything today.” #LindasStory

DhhMY93WkAERWZS.png
DhhMY_IWkAEyp7d.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Parabon states the DNA is 96% northern european,
Is it more than a coincidence that the original suspect is born in Germany and northern Germany is considered Northern European? Although his birth Place is western Germany it’s close and atm too hard to trace back further without birth parents names.
I was thinking about this as I have had my DNA Ancestry done (I’m in Australia) and mine is much more a mix, 45% West Europe , 31% Irish, 16% Great Britain and mix of others. I think many others DNA would also be more a mix?
Does anyone know more about DNA as this 96% seems to me to be compelling.

The Parabon states the DNA is 96% northern european,
Is it more than a coincidence that the original suspect is born in Germany and northern Germany is considered Northern European? Although his birth Place is western Germany it’s close and atm too hard to trace back further without birth parents names.
I was thinking about this as I have had my DNA Ancestry done (I’m in Australia) and mine is much more a mix, 45% West Europe , 31% Irish, 16% Great Britain and mix of others. I think many others DNA would also be more a mix?
Does anyone know more about DNA as this 96% seems to me to be compelling.

Yes, I find that interesting. It could imply the suspect was someone whose ancestors had a long history of living in the same general region, without migrating very far.

ETA: Also wanted to point out that, with such a high percentage, it might indicate both parents of this suspect had ancestors who lived primarily in that geographic region, without migrating to other places.

And yes, I would consider Germany as Northern Europe. I consider where I live in Northern Europe - but everyone else insists it's Eastern Europe! LOL!

Thanks for the new info!

Cops have arrested a suspect in the murder of an 11-year-old Southern Californiagirl, making a major break in the nearly 50-year-old case.

Newport Beach Police announced on Tuesday evening they made a breakthrough in the murder of Linda Ann O'Keefe, who disappeared on July 6, 1973, and arrested an unidentified suspect.

Sources say that police arrested a male suspect in Colorado Springs, Colorado on Monday in her death, according to ABC News.

Police gave no further details beyond the arrest and will hold a press conference Wednesday morning.

Cops arrest a man in the 1973 cold case murder of 11-year-old Linda O'Keefe | Daily Mail Online

LIVE: Suspect ID'd in Newport Beach cold case

James Alan Neal, 72, was taken into custody in El Paso County, Colorado, where he is expected to appear at a hearing Wednesday afternoon.

He is accused in the killing of Linda O'Keefe, who disappeared while walking home from school in a blue and white dress on Friday, July 6, 1973. The next morning, authorities discovered her strangled body in Back Bay.

upload_2019-2-20_19-9-4.jpeg

Greg Lee on Twitter

HAPPENING NOW: Orange County authorities discuss the arrest of a man in Colorado in connection with a 1973 cold case involving the murder of 11-year-old Linda O’Keefe in Newport Beach. The latest: LIVE: Suspect ID'd in Newport Beach cold case

He resided in the area at the time of the murder and had roots in the area. Per prosecutor at PC link above. They don't believe anyone else was involved.

So relieved they finally caught him and Linda's family can have some measure of peace.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back